Home
I would like any experience with the 270 win 130 accubonds for elk? too light or do they work just fine? debating between accubonds or partitions.
I've seen more elk killed with the 270 and standard cup and core 130's than any other cartridge/bullet combo... never used them myself, but I can't imagine the 130 AB's would be all that and more.
I would not be affraid to use them at all. No experience with them on elk but my bud used my 270 with 130NABs last season and shot a couple deer. The damage inside the mulie buck he shot was insane! Pretty sharp quartering away shot. He hit the buck right behind the last rib on the left side, totally destroyed the lungs and heart, and found the bullet lodged under the right front shoulder. They are mild loads because thats what my rifle shot best. Otherwise Im sure it would have passed through the shoulder. Bullet was a perfect mushroom and retained probably between 60-70% of its weight. Would take a picture but lost it.

2nd deer he shot was a doe. He head shot her. Not a good indicator of bullet performance but she had nothing left of her head from behind her ears to about an inch in front of her nose.
I really like the 130gr Accubond in the 270 Winchester and have used it to kill deer, antelope, and a Dall Ram. As much as I like it, unless I didn't have anything else, I don't think I'd choose it for elk. That's just me, though. I like something a little heavier in a bullet out of the 270. I used to hunt elk with 150gr cup and core bullets before all the bonded ones came out, so maybe the 130gr AB would be just fine. See, I just talked myself into it!
Yes, I use the 130 gr Accubond in my 270. Used to shoot Partitions and had good luck w/them too. Shot a cow elk with 130 Accubond 2 yrs ago. The shot was broad side abt 70 yds. Center lung shot and collapsed right there, pass thru. The accubonds shoot to the same point of impact as Ballistic tips and are about 60 fps faster than Partitions w/same loads. I load 55.0 grs IMR-4350 and CCI lg rifle primers on all three. Chrono 3020fps.
John
Originally Posted by scopey58
Yes, I use the 130 gr Accubond in my 270. Used to shoot Partitions and had good luck w/them too. Shot a cow elk with 130 Accubond 2 yrs ago. The shot was broad side abt 70 yds. Center lung shot and collapsed right there, pass thru. The accubonds shoot to the same point of impact as Ballistic tips and are about 60 fps faster than Partitions w/same loads. I load 55.0 grs IMR-4350 and CCI lg rifle primers on all three. Chrono 3020fps.
John

This is actually one of the loads I was looking at reloading. Same powder as well. Good to hear how they work, was thinking about 150 partitions but this way I could use the 130 for deer and elk.
I load them over 59grains of H4831. The last two elk killed with that load were both nice bulls. My wife shot one at 265 yards with the first shot in the boiler room. He took about twenty steps and stopped and she put the second shot into his front shoulder and he was DRT. My bull was shot at less than 100 yards through the lungs. He went about 40 yards and piled up. My only complaint is that the bullets don't leave a major exit wound but every animal I have shot with them other than that bull, traveled less than 20 yards so I guess I don't need a major blood trail for that.
I've taken two cows with a 140gr Accubond - can't be much different than the 130's. I picked that weight cause of the higher BC. Put any weight from 130gr to 160gr in the right place and its all over. While Cup n Core work, I prefer a little more premium bullet.

There is no greater controversy then calibers and bullets for elk. Look at the one thread on page 28? Lol
I load 150g Partitions in my 270, use 58.5g H4831 (work up slowly!) Rem cases and Federal 215 (magnum) primers. Gets me about 3030 fps out of the 22" barrel in my Rem 700 BDL 270. I use it for deer, bear, and elk. It's a little much for javelina ...
My winter load is 63 gr of H1000 and Federal Large Magnum G215M for 140 AB.It make them fly 2970 fps from 22 inch Sako
Scary accurate.
130 AB with 61 gr of H4831sc must be short cut with CCI BR2 primers goes 3000 fps. Reloader 17, 54 gr pushes them to 3050 from the same barrel. All accurate.
For 150 grains like partiton or Berger I like Reloader 22 with 58.5 grains and Federal Large Mag G215M primer. It goes over 2900 fps from the same rifle and accurate.
What I like with 270 win, the point of impact with these loads is almost the same. No need to adjust my scope. You gotta love 270 win.
Wlodek
I have considered the 150 partitions as well. I assumed the 130's would hit hard enough for elk and yet also good for deer.
Personally, I would carry the 140 NAB's just for the extra 10 grans of bullet weight... Well, that and my .270 shoots the 140 NABs into itty bitty wholes.
i've killed 35+ elk with 130 grn bullets out of a 270
stick one in their lungs,punch your elk tag, tear'em apart,
put them on a horse, eat well all winter.
Originally Posted by rjf
I have considered the 150 partitions as well. I assumed the 130's would hit hard enough for elk and yet also good for deer.

I've use the 150 Partitions on elk and it drops them dead. Works just as well on deer too. I've since went back to shooting just standard cup-n-core bullets in 130 for deer and pronghorn and using bigger rifles (just because I own them) for elk.
Originally Posted by ravenr

Gawd I love this stuff....great post! grin

Just the facts please...... wink
Thanks for all the info!
ssssssssshhhhhhhh
i killed a dozen more with a 243
Originally Posted by rjf
I would like any experience with the 270 win 130 accubonds for elk? too light or do they work just fine? debating between accubonds or partitions.

I have only shot 9 elk in my life and 7 of those were with 270/150 Partitions. none went more than 40-50 yards, very dead elk. I have not shot one with 130 gr...but can certainly feel confident in the partition.
I have used them across a 300 yard bean field to shoot grounghogs several times. They were very accurate in the wife's .270 Winny! I just don't try and use the .270 caliber anymore since I bounced 3 bullets once off a big bull in medicine bow. The .338 Win mag lets you fill your truck bed up and head for home with the elk steaks you betcha.
Even 338 bullets bounce off those really big bulls.

Still trying to figure out where the rear shoulders are on an animal....
i bounced 3 bullets off a big bull???????????????
Code, for I missed 3 times...
Maybe the bullets caught the trampoline-skin that's back toward the rear shoulders.
A friend of mine killed an Idaho bull 3 years ago with a 130 gr Accubond from a 270 Wby. Shot was about 150 yds if I recall and he got complete penetration through the lungs. Bull went down right there.
I just bought a box of accubonds to try in my 270, however my go to load is a 130 gr. woodleigh over 57.0 grs. of imr 4831 with a 215M primer and rem. brass. load works well for me. I am not a real partition bullet fan.
I have used the 130 grain Partition in my 270's for years.I have also tried about every factory bullet/ammunition out there in them also.The cup and cores work most of the time but not all the time.My choice by far is the 130 Partition but I am sure the Accubond works just fine but I don't care to mess with what isn't broke.

I did try the 140 grain Trophy Bonded and it did exceptionally well but for the price,I'll stick with Partitions.The 140 Fail safes "Failed" just like advertised. grin

Jayco
Originally Posted by yellowstone
I just bought a box of accubonds to try in my 270, however my go to load is a 130 gr. woodleigh over 57.0 grs. of imr 4831 with a 215M primer and rem. brass. load works well for me. I am not a real partition bullet fan.

Which brand did you buy?
Originally Posted by logcutter
I have used the 130 grain Partition in my 270's for years.I have also tried about every factory bullet/ammunition out there in them also.The cup and cores work most of the time but not all the time.My choice by far is the 130 Partition but I am sure the Accubond works just fine but I don't care to mess with what isn't broke.

I did try the 140 grain Trophy Bonded and it did exceptionally well but for the price,I'll stick with Partitions.The 140 Fail safes "Failed" just like advertised. grin

Jayco

I have thought about just getting the partitions as well because they are tried and proven. I have the stuff to reload the 130 accubonds, but find that I dont have alot of time to sit down and load them so I was looking for factory ammo.
Federal Premium has the 130 Nosler loaded up # P270P in 270 Win....

Jayco
Thanks.
I would look at the 130 gr. Winchester XP3.
I use them in my 270 WSM.
I have killed 7 elk with a 270 and 150 gr partitions. I am sure 130 accubonds would be just fine. I have certainly had friends who have shot several with cup and core 130's, but I prefer to step up in weight when possible with the lighter caliber, 270.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by ravenr

Gawd I love this stuff....great post! grin

Just the facts please...... wink

Bump^^^^^^^for one of the good posts

Dober

I hear that!
© 24hourcampfire