Home
Posted By: VAnimrod Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Cat out of the bag....

I'm the one going with CFVA on the elk hunt in CO this year.

Tags acquired. Asses nowhere near in shape enough.

Gear list needs going over.

So, for a pair of newbie elk hunters in the Rockies, 2nd rifle season, what should the list look like?

Thanks.
Some of this:

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

Oh, and you SUCK ! grin

Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Said powder was acquired long ago, thanks to "the thread".
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Oh..geez......
Y'all see now why I let CFVA run his threads otherwise, without letting said info out?
Posted By: rayporter Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
little things can make or break your trip.

tire chains and a shovel and a tow strap. lol

bikini cover for your scope and a good sling =what ever your preference.
next degrease your bolt and trigger with brake cleaner and finish with lighter fluid, for lubrication. and tape for the muzzle. if no tape, carry a piece of weed eater line to push out snow or mud with an oily patch.

pepto and imodium close by, just in case.

Posted By: Dess Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Originally Posted by rayporter
little things can make or break your trip.

So true, so true.

A roll of TP in your pack can be used for barter.

Basic survival gear in case you're stuck out after dark.

A camera so you can share pictures with everyone.

Good Luck1
OK Sean...GOOD Binos and know how to use them...don't walk through anything you havent glassed thoroughly...
STAY THE HELL out of the open....if you hunt them like they are hunting you back, you'll get one...
Surefire flashlight
Waterproof matches
Good smallish knife ( Four inch blade is good...)
Some high calorie snacks, in case you have to siwash it for a night or awhile...
Juice drink pouches...
Parachute cord
I'll think of more later....
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Sawyer water filter bottle, waterproof matches, and a ziplock bag full of BBW's in Your pack.

Oh, and good luckgrin

Gunner
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
How are you set for boots, clothing, tents and sleeping stuff?

Posted By: kcm270 Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Nimrod, if you need anything here, PM me, and I'll give you my number. Glad to help, you've been a consistent good guy here.
Originally Posted by kcm270
Nimrod, if you need anything here, PM me, and I'll give you my number. Glad to help, you've been a consistent good guy here.

Got someone fooled.... wink
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Vacuum packed trauma kit. I mean one that will give you the most chance if you�re shot. It has some sort of special sponges to poke down in the wound to stop bleeding. There's half a dozen other trauma related items in the kit. These aren�t kits with tweezers and Bactine if you get a splinter. The kits are more along the lines of something you would see in a Military Medic�s field pack. An ISP Master Sgt. who�s a helluva hunter and about 1/2 survivalist carries 1 in each of his personal cars, 2 in his patrol unit and 2 in his hunting bag. After I saw the list of what's in the pack I didn't hesitate buying two for when we go turkey hunting. If you take a turkey load up close, if you don't have a kit like this you'll bleed out before they could life flight you out. Give it a thunk. If you're interested, I'll get the web site from him.
Posted By: N2MyWake Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Gaiters!, sunglasses (for snow use), shooting stick ( used mainly as walking aid), wind checker,
Posted By: Dess Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Originally Posted by N2MyWake
Gaiters!, sunglasses (for snow use), shooting stick ( used mainly as walking aid), wind checker,

+1

Stay dry, and you can deal more effectively with the cold. Dress in layers. When you sweat, you will get cold quicker and in the high country, that could be deadly.

Avoid cotton if you can.
Posted By: krp Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Quality boots and wool socks, synthetic are fine but your feet will stink much faster... no cotton socks, might as well wear sandpaper.... boots # 1...

quality base layer... again wool or syn, I like wool for the same stink factor. middle layer can be blue jeans and plaid shirt. then a wind/rain outer.

optics

Flashlight/headlamp, rope, knife, tag, weapon

Water... drink lots even if you aren't thirsty, especially climbing, as it puts oxygen in your system faster, helping with respiratory/altitude issues.

game bags, firemaking stuff, gps, trekking pole for sidehilling and some kind of pack.

Course if you are road hunting, forget all that chit.... basspro has a sale on 120 qt coolers, 4 bags of ice and 4 cases of beer... is all the list you need.

Good luck on the hunt, you'll have a great time.

Kent

Posted By: Winnie Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Your rifle

bullets

tags

and license
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Vacuum packed trauma kit. I mean one that will give you the most chance if you�re shot. It has some sort of special sponges to poke down in the wound to stop bleeding. There's half a dozen other trauma related items in the kit. These aren�t kits with tweezers and Bactine if you get a splinter. The kits are more along the lines of something you would see in a Military Medic�s field pack. An ISP Master Sgt. who�s a helluva hunter and about 1/2 survivalist carries 1 in each of his personal cars, 2 in his patrol unit and 2 in his hunting bag. After I saw the list of what's in the pack I didn't hesitate buying two for when we go turkey hunting. If you take a turkey load up close, if you don't have a kit like this you'll bleed out before they could life flight you out. Give it a thunk. If you're interested, I'll get the web site from him.

Dude, he ain't going to Afghanistan. Re-read. Colorado elk hunt, second season. Holy [bleep].
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Bearstalker,

I can read very well, thank you. That post wasn't directed to you. You prep your way and I'll prep how I think is best. If he, or any of his party, were accidently shot, and it still happens every year, they'll be damned glad to have that little kit.

Sean,

It's a small kit, about 3/4 the size of a gallon ziplock and about 2" thick. It doesn't weight much either. If you'd like I can weigh one of mine.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Originally Posted by ingwe
....if you hunt them like they are hunting you back, you'll get one...

I like that, and will appropriate it for future use. No wonder you're the poobah.

Lots of good suggestions, I'll try to add to the list.

What kind of packs do you have? Good meat-haulers? If not, like KCM said, I can help out and loan you one or two, let me know.

You should have a plan for getting the meat out and make sure you've discussed it with CFVA beforehand. The first couple years my hunting pard and I hunted elk, we agreed that if one guy got one, the other would suspend hunting for a half-day and help haul the meat out, it's much less of a chore for someone who's never done it with a helper. And if two newbie's go 1-for-2 on a public land DIY hunt, that's pretty good so we never griped about taking some time to help. Plan on boning out the meat if you're far from the truck, and you should be. Bring some large trash bags to put in your pack, you can lay them on the ground and put the boned-out meat on them to keep it clean while you're working. Bring some 1/8 inch nylon rope to hang quarters overnight if you have to, and come back for them in the morning.

If you'll be packing meat any distance, make sure you have some good snack stuff to keep the legs churning. Sometimes I bring drink mixes like Cytomax or Gookinaid, probably not needed but it sure doesn't hurt. Hauling meat is a workout, and you ain't no spring chicken.

Do you have a place to put the meat and keep hunting? If you're driving bring a marine cooler or two and put some ice in it, leave it at the truck. Or just hang it if you're in the backcountry but I'm leary about leaving it unattended at the trailhead, I know guys who've been ripped off.

Bring some anti-bacterial moist wipes. TP is not enough for several days in the woods, plus you can us them to clean your hands and kill armpit stench. The elk will still smell you, but CFVA will be appreciative.

If you don't have a good headlamp, get one each.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by ingwe
....if you hunt them like they are hunting you back, you'll get one...

I like that, and will appropriate it for future use. No wonder you're the poobah.

Thanks smokepole...

There is, I hope, more truth to the statement than most think... if they were hunting YOU, you would tend to get away from those places humans congregate( i.e. roads)..
You would tend to NEVER walk around in the open in broad daylight ( like the TV and magazine hunters do..)
You would tend to NEVER skyline yourself..
You would tend to pay attention to what the other critters of the forest, great and small, are saying and doing...
You would tend to be quiet, stick to cover, and keep the wind in your favor...
You would tend to climb higher and farther so as to avoid detection..
And you would tend to kill elk..... grin
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
There's guys here who will help you to find and kill elk.
Others who will help you shoot yourself.

I know who I'm listening to.
Posted By: DayPacker Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Yes hunt them like your the hunted. If the elk find you, you may have to kill a couple.
Posted By: CFVA Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Thanks, guys.

VA and myself have been discussing gear lists and what each of us have on hand, we need a few things but have got most of the stuff already.

How about some recommendations as far as game bags go? Mfgr, size and number needed per elk, please. Keep in mind that I'm, uh, conservative.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Big pillow cases from a thrift store.

About 4-5 for a boned out elk.
great game bags- http://www.pristineventures.com/products/game-bags.html
2nd season or later prepare for snow depending on where you go. tire chains, hi jack, shovels, boards
Originally Posted by CFVA
Thanks, guys.

VA and myself have been discussing gear lists and what each of us have on hand, we need a few things but have got most of the stuff already.

How about some recommendations as far as game bags go? Mfgr, size and number needed per elk, please. Keep in mind that I'm, uh, conservative.

Conservative?

You'd haggle over nickel beers....
Posted By: pointer Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
My $0.02. I like that my meat hauling backpack (Kifaru Longhunter) packs down small enough to carry all day everyday. That way I can make the first trip back to camp/truck with a load of meat.

Here's what I have with me for a day's hunt:
Water
Snacks (FunSize candy bars and trail mix)
Powerpills (ie Atomic Fireball hard candies)
TP
2 knives
50' p-cord
3 heavy duty trashbags
GPS
Compass
Maps
Headlamp
Change of batteries
Ammo
Rifle
Binos
Rangefinder
Rain gear
Warm vest
Stocking cap

With the clothes I wear, that will take me through any day I've experienced so far. Not a whole lot different than what I leave the truck/camp with for any other critter, mostly just a different mindset.
Posted By: claybreaker Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
PM sent on gear list.
you may want access to a saw. the horns must come out for proof of sex and point count, so unless you wish to pack out the whole head, cut off the horns.

also it is not legal to take the bones or head through Arkansas unless you have boiled them first. and yes you might get stopped and have them confiscated. i know of one mule deer going east that did not make it.
We ain't gonna be anywhere near AR, as far as I know.
I probably missed it VA, but when and where are you heading?

Dober
2nd rifle season. Season runs 10/22-10/30. We're going to get out there a couple days early to scout, get acclimated, set-up, etc.
Posted By: ehunter Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Advil grin
Lots of good info on here.
Good knife and way to sharpen it in the feild is a must,bone saw,some rope.Game bags the pillow cases work great and are washable.Have you put thought in how your packing game out? are you useing a cart or pack frame...ect
I always carry a cow call mouth call.It can be used to stop a elk moving in timber.I've had bulls come to one in november also.
In my pack this is what I have.
2 knifes/w sharpener
saw
matches and lighter and fire starter
small first aid kit
food/2 bottles of water
multi-tool kit
space blanket
extra socks
stocking hat
good wool gloves
extra ammo
30 feet of rope
Tags
compass and map
Head lamp

Now on me I have
Rifle
rangefinder
bino's
access to 3 extra rounds for fast re-load
wind checker

Clothing I like wool
I have wool slacks for warm days and heavy wool pants for cold days
Base layer is silk t-shirt
next layer breatheble long sleeve shirt
Long sleeve button shirt
jacket
hat
socks silk socks covered by a pair of wool socks
good boots well broke in.

Now what do you have for sleeping
Camper or tent?
What are you doing for food?cooking?
If I was closer to Colorado I would offer ya bunk
lots of help here.
Good luck
BBJ
Posted By: Lonny Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
I like a lighweight bags that don't take up too much space in my pack. These seem to work fairly well; www.alaskagamebags.com. I always carry five with the fifth being for backstraps, tenderlions, neck meat, etc...

Good choice on going a few days early to scout.

Have fun and good luck!
For the tent, I've got a Marmot LimeLight. Good tent, relatively light, easy to set-up, stable, and roomy enough.

Base camp at/near the truck, then 2-3 day (more, if we're into elk and need to) hiking trips out from there.

Posted By: Tom264 Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Sean, without reading what all the others said cause they probably covered everything, I myself sometimes suffer from migraines....if you have them or even a bad headache you know how it could ruin a days hunt.

Take something for headaches.

I use Excedrin Migraine.
Good sleeping pad,warm sleeping bag,lighting in the tent.Good sleeping clothes cause it's going to get chilly.
Posted By: KC Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11

Here's a couple more lists, just so you don't forget anything.

MY GEAR FOR COLORADO BACKPACK ELK HUNT
I own multiples of just about every kind of gear. This gear is what I actually use when backpack hunting for elk in Colorado, not necessarily the best, just what I use.

Rifle: Winchester model 70 featherweight (wood/blue) 30-06 with Leupold M8 6X Mc4 scope, Leupold Rings and Federal Premium HIGH ENERGY 180 grain NP

Field Dressing Gear: 8" Buck Knife, Gerber Gator Saw, ceramic/diamond sharpener and T.A.G. game bags.
Binoculars: Pentax 12x24 Poroprizm
GPS: Garmin etrex Summit
Compass: Silva
Maps: USGS, BLM & USFS maps

Backpack: Osprey �Atmos 65�
Tent (warm weather): Black Diamond �One Shot�
Tent (cold weather): Sierra Designs "Clip Flashlight" or �REI Quarter Dome T2�
Tarp: GoLite 8�x10� Siltarp
Sleeping Bag: Western Mountaineering �Antelope� 5� goose down
Sleeping Pad: REI �Lite Core 1.5�

Stove (cold weather): MSR "Whispelite" or �Dragonfly�, white gas
Stove (warm weather): MSR �Pocket Rocket� or Optimus �Crux�, Isobutane
Pots: Brand "X" aluminum Bowl, MSR Sierra Cup (large) & Titanium Mug (1 quart Nalgene bottle fits inside)
Canteen: Nalgene 1 liter
Water Bag: Platapus, 2 liter, roll-up
Water Filter: Katadyn "Hiker Pro"
Pocket Knife: Victorinox Swiss Army Knife - "Climber", �Tinker� or �Traveler�

Flashlight: Coleman LED 90 lumens
Headlamp: LED
Radios: HP �Talkabout� T5720 (emergencies only)
Camera: Olympus Stylus 720 SW

LEAVE IN TRUCK
Pack Frame: North Face �Back Shadow�
Cooler: 120 quart, Igloo

WHAT TO WEAR
NO COTTON CLOTHING - The only thing that I carry that has any cotton in it, is a bandanna, which has multiple uses. If cotton clothing gets wet, it doesn�t dry and it promotes hypothermia.

DRESS IN LAYERS - I dress in layers so that I can adapt to a changing environment and to my level of exercise. I wear the kind of clothing that will perform well in a variety of environments and I carry enough extra in my daypack so that I can adapt to changes.

Base Layer: polypropylene long johns and briefs, Patagonia lightweight
Socks: wool/nylon blend socks like Smart Wool or Merino wool with cushion soles
Boots: Asolo �Sasslong�
Trousers: Brush pants with waterproof nylon on the legs and I also took a pair of wool/synthetic blend six-pocket trousers
Shirt: Nylon/synthetic blend camouflage
Vest: Eddie Bauer ultra-light goose down
Sweater: polyester fleece �hoodie�
Rain/Wind Gear: Arcterix Nylon/Gortex parka
Gloves: at least two pair
Caps: knitted wool/nylon watch cap with a small bill and a ball cap, camouflage
Gaiters: OR �Crockodiles� Gortex/nylon
Sunglasses

ALASKA CARIBOU HUNTING GEAR LIST
If I were going back to Alaska for another caribou hunt this is what I would take.

Rifle: T/C Icon Weathershield 30-06 with Leupold VX-III 3.5 x10 x40 scope, Warne Rings and Federal Premium HIGH ENERGY 180 grain Nosler Partitions

Field Dressing Gear: 8" Buck Knife, 5" Buck folding Knife, Gerber Gator Saw, ceramic/diamond sharpener and T.A.G. game bags. Game Saver citric acid spray, T.T.C. (Taxidermy Trophy Compound).

Binoculars: Nikon �Action Extreme� 16x50
Range Finder: Nikon �Monark� 800
GPS: Garmin etrex Summit
Compass: Silva
Maps: USGS, BLM & USFS maps

Backpack: Osprey �Atmos 65�
Tent (sleeping): Cabelas XPG-4, four season (two men sleep in a 4-man tent)
Tent (group): REI Base Camp-6 (group cooking tent)
Tarp: GoLite 10�x12� Siltarp
Sleeping Bag: Western Mountaineering �Antelope� 5� goose down
Sleeping Pad: Thermarest �Camp Rest� + Foam Pad

Stove: MSR "Whispelite" or �Dragonfly�, white gas (two stoves)
Buy white gas fuel in hub community
Pots: MSR �Alpine Guide� cook kit with extras added
Cup: MSR Sierra Cup (large)
Canteen: Nalgene 1 liter
Water Filter: Katadyn "Hiker Pro"
Water Jug: Brand �X� 5-gallon plastic collapsible
Pocket Knife: Victorinox Swiss Army Knife - "Climber", �Tinker� or �Traveler�
Cooler: Igloo 120 quart (no wheels, no drink door)

Flashlight: Coleman LED flashlight, 90 lumens
Headlamp: LED
Radios: HP �Talkabout� T5720 (emergencies only)
Camera: Olympus �Stylus 720 SW�

Rope: 1/8" woven nylon
Space Heater: Brand �X� single burner space heater (use inside group tent)
Buy propane in hub community (two canisters last three days)
Lantern: Brand �X� LED (take several)
Roll-up Table with folding legs & noncombustible top
Camp Chairs
Plastic Water Jugs, 5-gallon

PERSONAL GEAR
In addition to the gear listed above, each person carries:
a fire starter kit
a first aid kit
a personal hygiene kit
a small personal cook kit

KC

Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Thanks, guys.

Conservative?

You should have seen the look on my face Saturday night when the bimbo in Coyote Ugly told me it was 5 bucks for a Budweiser! Then she had the nerve to ask for a tip for handing it to me out of a tub of ice! "Here's your tip: Don't charge 5 bucks for beer!"
Thanks to everyone for the lists so far, you guys have put a lot of thought and effort into those lists and I appreciate it very much.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11

Have you ever killed anything other than a 12 pack?
Posted By: SilvertipCO Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
this has it all: http://elkhunter2.tripod.com/
Posted By: Huntinut Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
2nd rifle season. Season runs 10/22-10/30. We're going to get out there a couple days early to scout, get acclimated, set-up, etc.

Part of your acclimation is that you should drinks LOTS of water starting on the trip out and continue drinking LOTS of water the whole time your up here. The elevation and dry climate will take it out of very fast, headaches are one the first signs of dehydration.

A Leatherman is invaluable!!

Huntinut
Will you be on public land or private?

And have a super trip!

Dober
Public.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
For the tent, I've got a Marmot LimeLight. Good tent, relatively light, easy to set-up, stable, and roomy enough.

Base camp at/near the truck, then 2-3 day (more, if we're into elk and need to) hiking trips out from there.

Sean, I have this same tent in the 3 person flavor, will be using it next week for sheep. I did a lot of research on tents and this one was my choice, I think you will like it. You can also setup just the fly and footprint for an even lighter shelter. Don't forget a Wyoming saw (large version) and get some TAG bag games bags, the large version will hold an entire butchered moose. I've got 2 sets myself. If you don't have a sleeping pad yet, look at the Thermarest NeoAir, I bought the extra wide/long version and it weighs only 19 ounces. I used it a few weeks ago and so far I am liking it very much.
KC-good list

i would take water tablets in case the filter plugs up or freezes.

unless you fly there could be other states that do not allow bones or meat from CWD areas that you pass through. if you shoot something you might want to fly under the radar if you are not sure. putting a big set of horns on the pile in the truck can get an out of stater stopped here. throw a tarp over stuff and buzz on through.

love the tag bags too.
In cold conditions cotton is death. Do not use cotton under wear. No matter how good a woodsman you are bring at least two compasses. GPSes are great but batteries die. Besides when the clouds drop down below the mountain tops you will want to know where camp is. A compass will verify your first compass and your GPS. Bring a good head lamp, great for skinning and travel at night back to camp. Seems like I always kill an elk right before dark.
Checking on the transport now.

We'll be going through (on the return trip): CO, KS, MO, IL, IN, KY, WV, and VA.

CO

KS is fine, so long as it's transported in conjunction with CO rules, legally taken and tagged accordingly.

MO needs registration of any deer, elk, or moose with the head or spinal column attached to be registered, if the person is staying within MO for more than 24 hours. Registration is done by calling: (877) 853-5665.

IL (Administrative Rule 635.30) requires that the spinal column be removed, and any skull cap or skull be completely defatted, defleshed, and debrained.

IN is the same as KS.

KY (no answer yet)

WV (no answer yet)

VA regulations for importation are the same as IL's for transport or importation.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
Not sure the validity of this website, but another hunting site had posters saying that it seemed to match up to what they were aware of.

http://www.cwd-info.org/index.php/fuseaction/policy.regulationsMap
Posted By: Berettaman Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
So MO and IL are at odds, eh? Stop straddling the border and deflesh?

One thing I didnt see mentioned is nasal spray. If you are high and it is dry, your nose will give you fits.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11

Conservative?

That reminds me of a story.....

There was a bar back east, near Charlottesville, that had a billboard advertising 10 cent beers. We always wondered if this was on the up-and-up so we went in one night to check it out. Sure enough, all beers were 10 cents, even imports. Premium shots of Scotch were 25 cents, I couldn't believe it. The owner was there tending bar, so I asked him about it. Turns out he hit the Lotto, won more money than he could ever spend. He'd always wanted to own a bar, so he retired from his job, and opened a nice neighborhood bar. Since he had more money than he could ever spend, he set the prices super low, as a kind of community service.

I couldn't believe it, and congratulated him on his win. What a guy.

But I noticed there was a group of about five guys sitting down at the end of the bar, not drinking, just sitting there talking. So I asked the owner what was up with them.

He said "Oh, that's the VA Nimrod party, they're waiting for happy hour in 30 minutes when everything's half price."
Posted By: Fulksrun Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/16/11
now thats funny !!! giveum hell smoke !!
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Vacuum packed trauma kit...

Have you ever killed anything other than a 12 pack?

Yes.

Now go [bleep] off.

Please.
Posted By: CFVA Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
Originally Posted by smokepole

He said "Oh, that's the VA Nimrod party, they're waiting for happy hour in 30 minutes when everything's half price."

Ha! VA was probably hoping they'd honor the 5% senior citizen discount if he showed his Kroger card!
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
It ain't the years, son, it's the miles....
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
It ain't the years, son, it's the miles....

Truer words were never spoken.
Not my words, originally. Chris Ledoux said them.

But, you're exactly right. As was he.

I'm glad somebody else knows where that came from.

Saw LeDoux at Cattle Annie's in Lynchburg shortly before he passed, best live concert of my life.
Posted By: prm Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
Good info. My personal must haves include one real compass (I also keep a simple one on my watchband), good map, GPS, at least two headlamps with spare batteries and rain gear (archery season). I can deal with a lot, but it gets real dark in the Rockies and finding your way out a couple of miles without light is not on my list of things to attempt.

That's a long drive you have planned. I too would like the convenience of driving, but it adds too many days to the hunt.
Knowing when and where we're going, would you guys opt for a 0F or 20F sleeping bag? I've got to order one and it's down to those two. Already got the pad.

Thanks
Posted By: Lonny Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
I would lean towards the bag rated for 0F. Could be just me, but the bag temp ratings seem to be a bit optimistic and if it is freezing regularly at night a 20F bag might leave a person a bit chilly. Especially after a long day of hunting and a guy is in need of a good nights sleep.
Posted By: krp Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
Depending on the bag... a Walmart coleman 0 deg is about a 35 deg bag in real life... a WM bag is rated correctly... my BA bags are about 15 degs optimistic for comfort, good bags and system, just need to buy accordingly.

I'd buy a 0 deg quality bag for Colorado 1st or 2nd season, my 15 deg bag has been on the edge at times during the archery seasons I've hunted there.

Biologically, my system, being from the heat in Az, has on average a pint more blood than someone from a cooler climate. That liquid is a buffer from dehydration and dissipating/cooling body heat... obviously, I need a lower rated bag than someone else from a cooler climate, or I will be miserable at night, get no rest and my hunting will suffer... BTDT

So there is no stock answer for each individual, but a 0 deg bag can be opened to allow cooling easier than adding to a 20 deg bag.

Kent

err on the side of cold.
BBJ
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
Knowing when and where we're going, would you guys opt for a 0F or 20F sleeping bag? I've got to order one and it's down to those two. Already got the pad.

Thanks
I've got a 20 degree bag and use it on all my hunts, no matter what the weather may be but we all sleep differently.

I'm glad somebody else knows where that came from.

Saw LeDoux at Cattle Annie's in Lynchburg shortly before he passed, best live concert of my life.

I wished I'd known he was going to be there; I'd have made that drive from anywhere.
Posted By: pointer Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
I'd go with a good 20� bag. I've used mine to well below that by adding on clothes if need to and feel that it that its overall more useful a range of bag. 'Tis what I used in CO for a third season elk hunt as well as November sheep/mtn goat hunts in ID. Make sure you pair it with a good insulating & comfortable pad. I like Big Agnes products for both, FWIW.
CFVA;

Put your "conservativeness" aside when it comes to the sleeping bag. Get the GOOD stuff.
Posted By: TexasTBag Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
Just out of curiosity, which unit are you hunting?
Been looking at these two, pretty light for their ratings:

20F

0F

Thoughts?
I'd be careful with those down bags, you get them wet and you won't sleep a wink until they dry out. They require a bit more care to prevent that from happening.

With that being said, if your stuck on down, look at Western Mountaineering, they gets lots of praise in the Backpacking section. I prefer rectangular bags myself and the Sequia sounds like a nice bag.

Posted By: utah708 Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
I tend to sleep cold and need a lower temp rated bag than other people, so a 20F bag wouldn't cut it for me.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
Just something to think about, are you familiar with sleeping in mummy style bags?

Ditto on what Akmtn said about being darn careful to keep down-filled bags dry.
Posted By: Elkmen Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
Believe it or not there are some trememdous buys for this kind of stuff on E-bay, Sierra Trading Post and your semi local Craigs list. I also error on the colder side, its much easier to unzip than shiver. Also as someone else mentioned do not skip on the pad
Posted By: pointer Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
How big are you? I'm considered by many, myself included, to be quite girthy and couldn't use a bag like that. Mine is 7" bigger around throught he shoulders than the long 0� and 11" bigger than the regular for comparisons sake. I like the roomier cut of the Big Agnes bags and the fact that the bag attaches to the bottom so I don't roll off it.
CFVA and I are about the same size; I'm 6'1, 180; he's about 6'3, 215.
Easy, killer. Only tipped the scales at 192 last night. Never measured myself but I was figuring about 6'1" more or less.

Thanks to all for the advice/words of caution. I've never slept in a mummy bag before and to be honest I'm a little apprehensive. Not stuck on down either, it just seemed like the best bang for the buck to me. Keep in mind that I'm totally new to this. If there is a rectangular type bag out there with synthetic insulation that'll stay below the 4 lb mark or so and be warm/big enough, I'm all ears.

Thanks again.
This one in syn...

http://www.backcountry.com/montbell-super-spiral-burrow-0-synthetic-sleeping-bag-0-degree

or in down...

http://www.backcountry.com/montbell-super-spiral-hugger-0-down-sleeping-bag-0-degree

Kent
Posted By: DayPacker Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
Kifaru bags
Next bag I buy will be a Kifaru slick bag... of course I have a passel of bags already, mostly BA that I like.

There is a distinct performance line of low end, middle and top end. Kelty is in the low, BA the middle, where I usually stay in my gear... though I do have some top end with packs and had a WM bag that was great, just too narrow for my flopping self.

One more bag for me and that will be it... the slick bag.

Kent
I think you'll be hardpressed to find a 0 degree bag under 4 lbs that is truly a 0 degree bag. I like to wear a poly or merino wool top and bottom when I sleep, keeps you from sticking to the bag and gives you a little bit more insulation too.
Posted By: Fulksrun Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
hey just get Sean a double as a present and curl up with him to keep you warm..

your warm he gets to carry it.. win win ...
Posted By: jds44 Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
Here's my list from the last time I did what your doing - 2nd rifle season in CO on public ground.

Rifle & scope:
- Remington 700 Stainless ADL Mountain Rifle .30-06 in Ti take-off stock with Shilen trigger
- Leupold matte Vari-X III 2.5x8x36 in low Leupold dual dovetails
- 16 rounds of ammo � 4 in rifle belly, 12 in a Kifaru ammo pouch on pack waist belt
- Rifle weighs exactly 6 � pounds sans ammo (no sling, use gunbearer on pack instead)

Optics:
- Pentax DFC MP 8x28
- Nikon rangefinder

Shelter:
- Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight CD 2 man tent
- Slumberjack -10 degree bag
- RidgeRest regular pad
- Thermarest � inflatable
- Small pillow
- Small blue tarp to make gear storage/dry area lean-to

Pack:
- Kifaru LateSeason with GPS pouch, 1000 c.i. Back Pouch, GunBearer, Possibles Pouch, Rifle Rain Cover, Waterbladder, Cartridge Pouch, Handwarmer Pouch, and CargoChair

Kitchen:
- MSR PocketRocket + canisters (1 large, 1 small as backup)
- 2 cup aluminum pot for boiling water
- Snow Peak Titanium Spork
- Water bottle to mix GatorAid

Clothing:
- Cabelas MTP Boxer x2
- Cabelas Coolmax liner socks x2
- Cabelas Ultimax heavyweight socks x2
- Cabelas MTP medium weight longjohn top & bottom
- Unknown water proof camo pants
- Rocky Fleece jacket
- Long sleeve fleece button down shirt
- Rocky boots
- Goretex hunter orange baseball cap
- Manzella Thermastat Gloves
- Leather work gloves sized to fit over the Thermastat gloves
- Unknown balaclava
- Cheap Poncho

Cutlery:
- Ingram #15, S30V
- Gerber Exchange-a-Blade saw
- Victorinox Hunter with 4�� blade and saw as backup to both
- Leatherman Juice multi-tool
- DMT diamond folding sharpener and mini-Crox sticks

Possible�s Pouch:
- Almost identical to the list by Patrick Smith in his essay in a Kifaru pullout in the pack
Possibles Pouch list

Miscellaneous:
- Map/compass/GPS (Garmin 315)
- Kodak digital camera + pocket tripod
- Pur Hiker Water filter
- Collapsible 5 gallon water container
- Princeton Tec Aurora LED headlamp
- Princeton Tec Blast flashlight
- TP & wetwipes
- Game bags
- Cotton handkerchief
- Spare pair of glasses

5 days worth of food:
- Mountain House 2 serving freeze dried meals x 6 for dinner (5 days + extra)
- Power bars x 18 (3 per day + an extra day)
- Jerky
- Small jar of peanut butter
- 1 pound GatorAid powder
- Some kind of sausage log
- Big bag of homemade trailmix (mostly peanuts/cashews/M&Ms)
- 1 small bottle of Jack Daniels for after kill celebrations

Posted By: Pete E Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
Not really specific to elk hunting, but I highly recommend taking a couple of tubes of a good quality superglue and a small pack of two part epoxy like J-B Weld..The ability to make a running repair on some critical item isn't needed often, but it pays to be prepared..

You might also want to leave a second set of boots each in the truck..I'm not thinking of any thing expensive, just something that you already have, that are comfortable and that could be pressed into service in an emergency..

If there is a chance you might get caught out away from "camp", I'd also highly recommend a plastic bivy bag over a space blanket..They do weigh more, but are ten times as effective in keeping you dry and out of the wind...

Regards,

Peter
Posted By: jds44 Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/17/11
I highly recommend checking out all Patrick Smith's essays on his site and the 4 part backcountry navigation for the hunter set by Dick Blust.

Kifaru essays
CFVA;

I was being generous... ;

A fella here just hooked us up in your bag quest. I'll PM the deal. It'll satisfy your "conservative" nature, and get you a helluva lot better bag than a Kelty.

Upgraded boots on this end today; Asolo 520s. Fit like a glove; crazy comfortable, added gaiters to the purchase, too.

I'll pack an extra pair or two of boots, too. One for the truck, one for the pack, depending upon conditions.

You guys need to make a road trip to Cabelas in Wheeling. I hear the prices are reasonable grin
I will say this, right now...

The outpouring of support and advice here has just been staggering.

You guys just floor me. And, it won't be forgotten.

Also, once CFVA get this gear list lined out from all the contributions, I'm gonna hang a thread on it. Just because we won't be the last two to need the help, and the help has been amazing.

Also, fully expect pics, details, reports, etc.

Again, y'all rock.

Sean, good deal going elk hunting. There's a ton of stuff listed here already. I take it you are going DIY? If so, there are many things you'll need or that will make life easier. But maybe one thing that's not listed here yet is [/b]time[b]. The more time you guys can take the better. If you camp and hunt on foot it'll take time to find em and you might want to take a day off in the middle just to recuperate and rest whether in your camp or in a motel. Elk hunting is usually not easy. That goes in Spades on public land.

But it's fun. grin............................. cry
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/18/11
Soft bailing wire is always in my pack.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/18/11
Bring a copy of the regulations with you. And read EVERYTHING in it before hand. On your maps, mark the unit boundaries. Most of those will be a divide between drainages, not just a road a creek to follow. In the unit you will be hunting in, CFVA, with the OTC bull tag can hunt some of the neighboring units, but you cannot with that cow tag. Also, unit 45 borders two limited draw areas, don't end up there (you'd really have to do some serious climbing, so it's unlikely, but this kind of goes for everyone).
Also, read about the evidence of sex. A detached head is not evidence of sex. This is probably the single most common offense each year. A head attached to the meat is evidence of sex, but if you cut it off, there should be a twig and berries(or the lady version) naturally attached to one of the rear quarters, with or without bones. Other biggies are on page 7, where it says It Is Against the Law To:....
Read up on how to attach carcass tags and properly fill that out also.
Posted By: Jester Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/18/11
Originally Posted by jds44
Here's my list from the last time I did what your doing - 2nd rifle season in CO on public ground.

Rifle & scope:
- Remington 700 Stainless ADL Mountain Rifle .30-06 in Ti take-off stock with Shilen trigger
- Leupold matte Vari-X III 2.5x8x36 in low Leupold dual dovetails
- 16 rounds of ammo � 4 in rifle belly, 12 in a Kifaru ammo pouch on pack waist belt
- Rifle weighs exactly 6 � pounds sans ammo (no sling, use gunbearer on pack instead)

Optics:
- Pentax DFC MP 8x28
- Nikon rangefinder

Shelter:
- Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight CD 2 man tent
- Slumberjack -10 degree bag
- RidgeRest regular pad
- Thermarest � inflatable
- Small pillow
- Small blue tarp to make gear storage/dry area lean-to

Pack:
- Kifaru LateSeason with GPS pouch, 1000 c.i. Back Pouch, GunBearer, Possibles Pouch, Rifle Rain Cover, Waterbladder, Cartridge Pouch, Handwarmer Pouch, and CargoChair

Kitchen:
- MSR PocketRocket + canisters (1 large, 1 small as backup)
- 2 cup aluminum pot for boiling water
- Snow Peak Titanium Spork
- Water bottle to mix GatorAid

Clothing:
- Cabelas MTP Boxer x2
- Cabelas Coolmax liner socks x2
- Cabelas Ultimax heavyweight socks x2
- Cabelas MTP medium weight longjohn top & bottom
- Unknown water proof camo pants
- Rocky Fleece jacket
- Long sleeve fleece button down shirt
- Rocky boots
- Goretex hunter orange baseball cap
- Manzella Thermastat Gloves
- Leather work gloves sized to fit over the Thermastat gloves
- Unknown balaclava
- Cheap Poncho

Cutlery:
- Ingram #15, S30V
- Gerber Exchange-a-Blade saw
- Victorinox Hunter with 4�� blade and saw as backup to both
- Leatherman Juice multi-tool
- DMT diamond folding sharpener and mini-Crox sticks

Possible�s Pouch:
- Almost identical to the list by Patrick Smith in his essay in a Kifaru pullout in the pack
Possibles Pouch list

Miscellaneous:
- Map/compass/GPS (Garmin 315)
- Kodak digital camera + pocket tripod
- Pur Hiker Water filter
- Collapsible 5 gallon water container
- Princeton Tec Aurora LED headlamp
- Princeton Tec Blast flashlight
- TP & wetwipes
- Game bags
- Cotton handkerchief
- Spare pair of glasses

5 days worth of food:
- Mountain House 2 serving freeze dried meals x 6 for dinner (5 days + extra)
- Power bars x 18 (3 per day + an extra day)
- Jerky
- Small jar of peanut butter
- 1 pound GatorAid powder
- Some kind of sausage log
- Big bag of homemade trailmix (mostly peanuts/cashews/M&Ms)
- 1 small bottle of Jack Daniels for after kill celebrations

jds44, did you happen to record the weight of your pack/gear? I am backpacking next month in CO, elk, archery, and plan a somewhat similar list.
also might want to toss a chain saw in the truck never know when you might need it and also some good road music.
Posted By: rayporter Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/18/11
dont forget the duct tape. i wrap some around my match case and bic lighter. if you dont have a blister kit just use duct tape on the blisters. it really does work well.

start a thread on how to keep warm in your sleeping bag. lots of tricks to help in cold weather. make sure your sleeping pad has enough insulation for cold ground. if your bag wont keep you warm suspect the pad and add stuff under you.

and dont forget to bring your water inside at night and cover it or it may be frozen in the morning.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/18/11
Originally Posted by BareBack_Jack
also might want to toss a chain saw in the truck never know when you might need it and also some good road music.

Got about 4800 tracks on the iPod. Got music covered.

CFVA already mentioned dropping a chain saw in the back of the truck.
Posted By: CFVA Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/18/11
CFVA;

I was being generous... ;

A fella here just hooked us up in your bag quest. I'll PM the deal. It'll satisfy your "conservative" nature, and get you a helluva lot better bag than a Kelty.

That sounds great, a big Thank You to whomever is helping out!

Got about 4800 tracks on the iPod. Got music covered.

Yeah but my truck has a tape player, reckon this means I'm going to have to put a cd player in it before October.

And for the record, please refrain from bringing along the Milli Vanilli 8 track...
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
You guys need to make a road trip to Cabelas in Wheeling. I hear the prices are reasonable grin

In the past 10 days, I've hit the Cabela's in Pennsylvania and Kansas City. Got a few things but mainly made a list of things to order online. Nice place to go and look around, though.
FM tuner for the iPod; works great.

Only you would know that Milli Vanilli ever had an 8-track...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/18/11
Milli Vanilli had an eight track! shocked

Where was I???

Why didn't I get one...?
I heard that VA has all of Obama's greatest stump speeches downloaded to the Ipod and gets a tingle down his leg when he listens to them grin
Dude....
Dude....

Just seeing if you were awake this morning. grin
I ain't NEVER not that awake.
I ain't NEVER not that awake.

grin grin
Posted By: jds44 Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/18/11
Originally Posted by Jester
jds44, did you happen to record the weight of your pack/gear? I am backpacking next month in CO, elk, archery, and plan a somewhat similar list.

I weighed it at the time, but can't remember it and didn't store the weight with the list. Sorry.
Posted By: prm Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/18/11
Here's my list. I have not compared it to what others have, but I will to see if I am missing anything!

Pack
X2

Shelter
Sleeping Bag
Tent
Tarp
Pad

Food
Stove
Fuel
Spork
MRE
Mtn Home or similar
Hot Choc
Vitamins
Coffee packs
Water Purification
Camel Back
PowerBars

Nav
GPS (w/topo & waypoints loaded)
Batteries/charger
Map
Compass

Misc Gear
Lighter
Headlamp x2
SureFire
Batteries
Camera
Batteries
Phone
Phone charger
SAT Phone?
Rope (100')
First aid kit
Allen wrenches
Waterproof matches
Orange Ribbon
Wipes
Chapstick
Ibuprofen
Bug spray
TP

Hunting Equip
License
Regs
Hunter safety card
Bow
Arrows
Broadheads
Quiver
Case
Release
Spare release
Arm guard
knife
Game bags
Sharpener
Rangefinder (new batteries)
Binoculars
Bino system
Calls

Clothing
Warm Hat
Hat
Face net
ASAT top
6-pocket pants
Raingear
Boots x2
Socks
Under armor
Gloves
Fleece jacket

Edits:
Hand warmers
45' paracord vice 100' rope
Thanks to everyone for the lists, very helpful.

Of the different types of bino harnesses out there, which ones are good/better/not worth buying?
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/18/11
The Crooked Horn bino system has worked well for me for years.
Posted By: krp Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/18/11
Thanks to everyone for the lists, very helpful.

Of the different types of bino harnesses out there, which ones are good/better/not worth buying?

This.... https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...5526391/1/Making_the_Most_of_it_Salvaged

I have the same setup, MR pack with bino/acc pouch in front, works great. There's a lot to glean from A L's post on other equipment and cloths.

http://www.alaskaguidecreations.com/binopack.htm

Jaret is a hunter like us and a good fellow, doubt he's getting rich but supply's a nice USA made product.

Kent

Posted By: thumper338 Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/18/11
You might also consider a chest pack...

Like these if you can find them...
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mother-still-hunting-chest-pack~p~2628t/

Or from hillpeople
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Home/tabid/762/Default.aspx

Search fly fishing equipment too as there tend to be more chest packs/pouches for fishing that would work.

Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
The Crooked Horn bino system has worked well for me for years.

'Tis what I use, too.
Posted By: CFVA Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/19/11
Thanks, guys.
Posted By: prm Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/19/11
Had to check.. Mine is from Cabelas. Works fine.
Posted By: Elkmen Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/19/11
I use MRE's broken down for my daily use, but I believe there are better options for two or three day trips. I do not carry anything fleece, a light or heavy wool sweater is my choice. 100' of rope is about 60 feet more than I carry, and I leave all phones, in the truck. I carry three different fire starters, I want a fire if I need one. I have also carefully planned so that my portable radio, (when I have a partner) GPS, spare flashlight all take the same size battery. Head lamp takes triple AAA.

Great list
MRE's are great for elk hunting, I usually carry 1 in my daypack, along with an extra sandwich made fresh every morning, you never know.
Camelbaks are great as well IMO to carry while hunting to stay hydrated.
remember, keep it simple. don't pack individual things for every potential situation that could arise. take things that are versatile, light and small. at least for your daypack.
if you're driving into a camp, then bring along cots, canvas tent with stove if possible. I like to premake meals and freeze them, such as pasta sauce with meat, chili or stew, things like that. good home cooked meals in a fraction of the time.
some people really over think elk camp and bring WAY too much stuff they never use.
Take a day or two and go camping, think about what you use the most and while you're there make a list. kinda puts you in the frame of mind and makes it easier.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/19/11
As much as I like having variety in my pack, MRE's are just too heavy, though I do carry 1 in my wheeler cargo box when I'm out on a day ride or in the backcountry fishing.
Posted By: prm Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/19/11
Originally Posted by Elkmen
I use MRE's broken down for my daily use, ... and I leave all phones, in the truck.

Same with the MREs, only take parts I want. I certainly didn't mean to imply the phone went with me hunting. It gets packed for the trip from VA to CO, then stays in the truck wink And, I actually measured my para-cord, it was actually 45'. Need to add hand warmers to my list.
Posted By: buffybr Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/22/11
I've been reading this thread with a smile for the past few days.

There's some good advise here, but it seems like you need at least one or two of everything in a Cabela's store, except the fishing tackle. Or did I miss that post?

I'm just wondering how I have survived 40+ years of Elk hunting without all of that stuff.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/22/11
Well, any advice would be appreciated.
Posted By: buffybr Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/23/11
Ok, it's been 36 years since I lived and Elk hunted in Colorado so I don't know the units and seasons.

If I understand right, you'll be doing day hunts out of a tent base camp by your pickup. Camp should be comfortable, dry, and warm. Better if the tent is too big rather than too small. Nice to store extra gear inside out of the weather.

Cots are more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, plus you have storage area underneath. A 2-4" foam pad on a cot makes them more comfortable and warmer. A source of heat inside the tent is good. Most of my tent camping was in a wall tent with a folding wood stove. Toasty inside when it's below zero outside.

For base camp gear: an axe or hatchet, several 5 gal water water jugs, plenty of rope, a couple of 8'x10' or so plastic tarps, a shovel, a folding table, camp chairs, cooking gear, including a large pot for boiling water, a couple of plastic tubs to do dishes in, a large frying pan, a grill for cooking over a fire, plastic trash bags, camp stove, lantern, fuel, dry camp cloths and camp shoes or boots.

For this type of camp we have several large plastic tubs with tight fitting lids (keeps mice out) for storing food that is not stored in coolers.

Have one or more methods to get your elk back to camp. I've packed quarters and bags of boned meat out on a pack frame, I have a 2 wheel cart from Cabela's that works if the snow is not too deep or there is not much downfall. I also have a 3'x6' heavy plastic tarp (from Cabela's) that makes dragging Elk or Elk pieces easier.

I prefer to leave the hide on the quarters and to put each quarter in a heavy duty game bag.

Like someone else mentioned you HAVE to leave evidence of sex attached to a hind quarter or attached to a large piece of meat from the hind quarter -- even if the meat has been boned out. Cut off antlers or a cut off head are NOT evidence of sex attached to the carcass, but may be required for proof of points.

For day hunts I try to go as light as possible. I'll either carry a pack frame with a day pack or just a fanny pack. Inside, I'll have several lenths of parachute cord (5'to 30'), waterproof matches, a butane lighter, fire starters (waxed, rolled, newspaper), a Sandvik folding saw, a knife sharpner, a whistle, several candy bars, a couple of small bags of trail mix, a partial roll of orange flagging, TP, several packaged hand wipes, black tape, small flashlight and extra batteries, small plastic bottle with powder to check the wind, extra foam ear plugs, and a 16 oz bottle of water. (I just checked my fanny pack and it even had a couple of petrified cookies from my last hunt last year.)

If I'm hunting in unfamiliar country I'll carry a topo or land status map, but I don't own a GPS and have never carried a compass.

On the pack belt I carry a sheath knife, sometimes a camera with a small folding tripod, and a plastic case with 10 cartridges. I always have a small folding knife in my pocket and a leatherman multi-tool on my belt.

My binoculars are Nikon compact 9x35s on a Butler Creek foam strap. If I'm hunting open country I'll take my Bushnell rangefinder.

I zero my rifle 2" high at 100 yds, and regularly practice to 450 yds, but I've only shot at one Elk at over 300 yds. I also tape the muzzle of my rifle. A little snow in the barrel can ruin a shot, and your rifle.

Outer cloths and gaitors should be fleece or wool that is quiet when you're moving through the brush.

And don't forget your orange vest and hat to keep the Colorado Game Wardens happy.

Posted By: conrad101st Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/24/11
Heres my light load Elk list. You can beef it up for base camp hunting with all the lanterns, ice chests, cots, etc.

Ground cloth - walmart painters tarp or tyvek�
Tent with stakes
Sleep bag
Goretex bivvy sack
Pad, sleeping
Trecking poles
Stove, kifaru
GPS, compass, map
6 esbit tabs
2 lighters
Radio
Petzl
Camera
Flashlight
Battery
Fry pan
Spatula
Fork
Titanium cup
Pocket rocket or jetboil
Extra gas canister�
Water filter
2 or 3 platypus
2 Gatorade bottles
Burbon or scotch in plastic bottle

Rifle and 12 round
Laser
Game calls
Sitting pad
Large garbage bags
Game bags
Tape
550 cord
Trail tape or pins
Saw
Knife
Scalpel
Disposable poncho
2 pair latex gloves

Lightweight polypro top & bottom
Shell pants
Orange top shell
Sleeping shirt
Orange NF shirt
Subzero jacket
1 hat
Balaclava�
Neck warmer
2 pair socks
2 sock liners�
Glove liners
Ski gloves
medium weight poly pro

Cigar x 2
Meals
Pancake mix
Jerky
Trail mix
Coffee
Cider
Tang
Gatoraide mix
Hot chocolate
Candy

TP
2 pack handiwipes
Toothbrush & paste
Posted By: Jester Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/25/11

You're not base camp hunting so it must be pack-in. What's the weight of your pack?
Posted By: N2MyWake Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/25/11
Not necessary for some but no matter what i'm hunting I have a arctic shield waterproof muff I use (with handwarmers if its cold). I will keep calls, camera, quickloader, etc close at hand. Plus its nice if the weather is cold
Posted By: conrad101st Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/26/11
Mine goes about 40 lbs.
Posted By: Scorpion Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/26/11
I'm a huge fan of packing a Swedish fire steel in all of my packs and keeping it there for emergencies. They're pretty cheap and they work awesome.

Swedish Fire Steel

I'd also take a cheap Bic lighter along as well, as they're handy when the conditions are favorable to use them

Never leave home without some quantity of duct tape. Might not be a bad idea to take a couple small zip ties in case you have to make an impromptu repair to a pack or something, even if they stay in the truck.

Smartwool socks with liners will do you wonders, I won't wear anything else when hunting.

Merino wool for a baselayer will do you wonders. I prefer a loose fit compared to something slimmer fitting or compression fit like Under Armour. Merino or synthetic for underwear, as well. Synthetic will stink, but you can rinse/wash and dry them pretty easily.

A good headlamp is an absolute must. I got myself and my girlfriend each a Petzl Tikka Plus2 and they absolutely rock. Don't forget good spare batteries.

Hope this helps!
Posted By: Jester Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/26/11
Originally Posted by conrad101st
Mine goes about 40 lbs.

I'm packing in in CO in about three weeks. I have a Kifaru ZXR coming tomorrow. I'll have to pack it up and weigh it. I hope I can keep it that light.
Posted By: conrad101st Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/26/11
Humping water is what kills you. We hump streams all the way in so we don't carry more than a litter each.

We also split the tent and stove up so that helps too.
Posted By: Jester Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/27/11

My partner has never backpacked and communication is sparse. I hope it works out.
Posted By: conrad101st Re: Gear list for a newbie - 08/27/11
Hope he's fit and has a good attitude. We took a fellow who was used to oklahoma tree stand hunting for deer, up to Colorado for elk. On the first morning, half way up the trail to the ridge we were going to walk out all day he said he had gone far enough and would see us at camp. He was miserable for the duration and didn't make a serious effort to get out and find hide nor hair.
© 24hourcampfire