Home
Posted By: bigwhoop Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
We've always been meaning to try it but either forget or it gets damaged. Beyond that, has anyone here kept the liver and how do you prepare it? Can I do the standard "liver and onions"?
Posted By: Huntr Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
Everyone that I know that has tried it (and likes liver generally) has said they would never touch it again. I have never been brave enough.
Posted By: K_Salonek Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
Liver and onions, just like beef liver.
Sposta be good for you!

Most seem a little squeamish about the liver, but will eat the heart.

My Dad had a hunt camp trick, he would cut holes in the liver to disguise it as heart, and fry it.

The more squeamish would glean the pan for the heart meat (with the holes) and never knew they were eating the liver.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11

Yup, it's pretty darned good. Karen is the cooked liver-lover in our family and she adores elk liver.

Heart? Dang, I never, ever met a heart I didn't LOVE.

Raw elk liver is quite excellent. I actually like it a lot. Better than deer, but ANY raw liver is fantastic.

Steve

Posted By: rikker Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
Properly prepared elk liver is just plain awesome. I would suggest trying a spike elk liver soaked over night in salt water rinsed and sliced about 1/2" thick. Cook the onions first then cook the liver medium rare. Salt and pepper to taste. Push the onions and liver to a separate plate and make gravy with the pan leavings. Serve over toast with a splash of Tabasco - that is GOOD eating!!
Posted By: SLM Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Yup, it's pretty darned good. Karen is the cooked liver-lover in our family and she adores elk liver.

Heart? Dang, I never, ever met a heart I didn't LOVE.

Raw elk liver is quite excellent. I actually like it a lot. Better than deer, but ANY raw liver is fantastic.

Steve

That aint right!! shocked
Posted By: Huntr Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
Exactly!!!
Posted By: rikker Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
[Linked Image]

Here is a visual aid for those who need a picture
Posted By: Elkmen Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
It has its own taste, not bad just its own. Much like cow liver. Fried up with goodies its very good. I also like the heart better.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11

Heart ROCKS

Steve

Posted By: watch4bear Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
Elk liver is great, well done with onions. Secret is to skin it before slicing to cook. Roll in flour and fry. smile
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
I've never cared for liver, elk, beef, or otherwise, but it's very healthy meat. If it has white spots don't keep it. They're parasites. That's pretty rare around here, though. I've only seen it a couple times in my life.

The heart, now, that's a different story. I love it baked with dressing, stovetop or homemade.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
Take a parasitology course and then tell me how appealing that liver is.
Posted By: tipmover Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
It was always a tradition in elk camp to have a meal with fresh liver and onions. Wasn't all that fond of it as a kid, but it is fantastic given a chance. The best way I have had it is a simple recipe..soak in salt water for several hours. Remove and bread with a 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp Mrs Dash. Fry till golden brown and remove from heat. Sliced onions are then cooked till tender..add liver back in with the onions to warm then serve.
Posted By: Allen917 Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
I have found that I love raw elk liver cut up into 3/4 inch squares! Makes great catfish bait and then you really have some good eating.
Posted By: test1328 Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
I love elk liver as well as deer liver. Bigwhoop, just cook it as you would any other liver. Personally, I like it done medium well with onions. Good stuff!
Posted By: jryoung Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/11/11
Brine overnight, rinse, pat dry and thinly slice.
Slowly sautee 4 onions thinly sliced and set aside (covered and warm).
In the pan where the onions were, heat to high, and add several slices of pancetta then the liver.

Cook the liver briefly on all sides until done, add the onions and toss together to mix.

Place in a serving dish and drizzle with a good balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper to taste.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/12/11
Originally Posted by jryoung
Brine overnight, rinse, pat dry and thinly slice.
Slowly sautee 4 onions thinly sliced and set aside (covered and warm).
In the pan where the onions were, heat to high, and add several slices of pancetta then the liver.

Cook the liver briefly on all sides until done, add the onions and toss together to mix.

Place in a serving dish and drizzle with a good balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper to taste.

The one time I tried elk liver it tasted very bitter. Does the salt water bath help this? I like bovine liver just fine.

Like DZ I think heart is the MEAT. Too bad I practically blew this years elk heart to smithereens.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/12/11
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
We've always been meaning to try it but either forget or it gets damaged. Beyond that, has anyone here kept the liver and how do you prepare it? Can I do the standard "liver and onions"?

I've only tried 3 kinds of liver: deer, elk, cow. To me, cow liver is "strong", deer liver is "mild", and elk liver is just like deer liver but big like a cow liver. If you like it, there's lots of it. If you don't like it, there's lots of it. smile

Personally, I quit eating liver. I used to think I liked it, but then one time mom mis-labeled a package as steak to fry. It stunk like [bleep] when I cooked it. It had this weird texture like it was badly lockerburned or something. It was just NASTY. A couple days later I looked at it again and realized what had happened. I decided if I don't like it when I don't know what it is, I don't actually like it, so I quit eating it. I give it to my dad and aunt instead.

I've never been a fan of liver and onions. I don't like onions cooked with meat. We'd roll it in flour and fry it in bacon grease. Mom would fry taters, then make gravy from the liver drippings. I'd usually ask for spinach to go with it. Back when I thought I liked liver, that was one of my favorite combinations.

Tom
Posted By: castnblast Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/12/11
I eat livers of cow elk and calves, and they are consistently good. But, after trying rutting bull elk liver twice - never again. So, the answer depends on the elk.
Posted By: Elkliver Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/12/11
Elk liver is YUMMY!!!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/12/11

Why not just eat dirt? Isn't it the same?
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/12/11
Yeah, I try to throw it away as far as I can...
Posted By: Altjaeger Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/12/11
Technically no, but in reality yes. I have eaten several livers from my red deer in Europe. Look up the red deer under its latin name and it is the same as elk. smile It was very good.
Posted By: bethalhntr Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/13/11
Originally Posted by rikker
Properly prepared elk liver is just plain awesome. I would suggest trying a spike elk liver soaked over night in salt water rinsed and sliced about 1/2" thick. Cook the onions first then cook the liver medium rare. Salt and pepper to taste. Push the onions and liver to a separate plate and make gravy with the pan leavings. Serve over toast with a splash of Tabasco - that is GOOD eating!!

Goooood stuff, After the salt brine soak liver in milk for a few hours before prep. It takes the bitterness out.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/13/11
Originally Posted by crowrifle
Take a parasitology course and then tell me how appealing that liver is.

That almost ended my hunting career! Was able to put it all in proper context.
I am glad to read no one suggested wrapping it in bacon. But I was hoping Mule Deer would chime in as he and the Mrs. might have experimented with it.
Posted By: 24mileboy Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/14/11
Had elk liver from my elk this past weekend. Great with onions and cooked over the camp fire.
Posted By: ribka Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/14/11
Just had elk liver from a spike elk I killed. Soaked over night in salt water.

Always check condition of elk deer liver and this liver was in good shape.

Thin sliced, Dredged in in flour, salt pepper paprika, garlic powder.

Cooked in olive oil, onions

Very good
Posted By: captdavid Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/20/11
First, I've never eaten deer liver, but have red deer, which again has to be reel close. I've found this to be true of white tail and espically true of red deer and sika, a cousin of reds and W/Ts. It is excellent unless the animal is in rut. In that case, toss it! When I was in Africa, they soaked it in something oily, something similar to Italian dressing, and grilled on a BBQ grill w/onions. It was real good, but I haven't been able to duplicate it here. capt david
Posted By: logcutter Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/20/11
Yup I have but I prefer Peanut Butter and Jelly,my choice growing up in Elk camp over liver....Some of my family likes it so I usually bring it back butttttt if weight is an issue,the wolves can have it!!!

My Grandma fixin Elk Liver and I was gone....

[Linked Image]

Jayco
Posted By: milespatton Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/20/11
I have never tried elk liver but I do like liver from a young deer. Pork liver is my favorite. miles
Posted By: idnative1948 Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/21/11
Originally Posted by tipmover
It was always a tradition in elk camp to have a meal with fresh liver and onions. Wasn't all that fond of it as a kid, but it is fantastic given a chance. The best way I have had it is a simple recipe..soak in salt water for several hours. Remove and bread with a 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp Mrs Dash. Fry till golden brown and remove from heat. Sliced onions are then cooked till tender..add liver back in with the onions to warm then serve.

Mrs Dash is the answer. That and cooking in bacon grease.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/21/11
Well I see to some its great and to others its just dirt. Exemplifies a lot of extremes on topics we have here. I think for those who had experiences with the Depression or other similar hard times are more resourceful in utilizing more of what we kill. Not that it is wanton waste to discard the liver or heart, but a lot depends on your upbringing.

That is also true with what is used as food from farm animals.
Some of the old ways are disappearing.
Posted By: yeselk Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/21/11
It's always been a tradition in our Elk camp to eat the liver and hearts from the kills cooked over the camp fire with fried potatoes. I think it's good. One of our group grabbed a cold left over liver slice out of the pan the next morning and slapped it between two slices of bread and ate it for breakfast. He said it was good but I'm not sure I believe him. :>)
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 11/28/11
I ate a piece of my first elk's liver raw when we gutted her. It was horid.

For many years it was my practice to drive far out of my way to Burns, OR to give Francis Egan any liver I might have collected. With his passing I don't know what to do with the worthless things.

But Elk heart is mana from heaven.
Posted By: unplugged Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 12/01/11
Some like it some don't, I never been much of a liver eater of any kind. However liver & onions was always the traditional meal the night of a dear or elk kill. Soaking it in milk seemed to "sweeten" it up. Some was better than other, none of it was as good as the rest of the animal.
Posted By: TomA Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 12/01/11
As a youngster some 50+ years ago one of my favorite sandwiches was buttered bread with cold liver and onions inside. Definitely must have been an aquired taste. As my dad used to say when I complained about meat or liver being tough he said- It's tougher when there ain't none.
Posted By: wyoelk Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 12/02/11
Liver is guts and should be left with the guts. Now heart.... wink
Posted By: elkivory Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 12/02/11
L...liberal
I...internal parts,
V...vaginally discharged,
E...excreted by
R...repulsive prostitutes

you eat it, not me !
Posted By: AggieDog Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 12/02/11
Well I see to some its great and to others its just dirt. Exemplifies a lot of extremes on topics we have here. I think for those who had experiences with the Depression or other similar hard times are more resourceful in utilizing more of what we kill. Not that it is wanton waste to discard the liver or heart, but a lot depends on your upbringing.

That is also true with what is used as food from farm animals.
Some of the old ways are disappearing.

You hit the nail on the head I think. My dad suffered the depression on the farm in Missouri, and strangly, I dont love liver, but I eat liver thanks to him. I will say that my youngest boy cussed liver, and while I was cooking it about 10 -12 years ago, the night before his uncle, granddad, and I left for Idaho deer hunting, I told him to try some of my first batch, and while I was BS ing with my brother in law and cooking the next batch, I looked around and Jake had eaten the entire first batch. He's liked liver ever since.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 12/04/11
Can I do the standard "liver and onions"?

YUCK !!!
Posted By: orion23 Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 12/04/11
we ate it all the time. we would soak it in saltwater for several hours with the heart.

I like liver if its cut real thin about 1/4 inch slices with a lot of onions cooked in butter. Cook it well and make sure the onions are cooked well too.

Personal preference but that is how i liked it.

if you cut it too thick it will be real pasty in your mouth.
Liver taste like game meat that hasn't been taken care of to me.

No thanks.
Posted By: Firemann Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 12/05/11
Up in Oregon elk hunting with Pop he shot this bull on a dead run dropped one shot thru the neck 270 rifle. He pulls out the liver/heart, WOW that was the biggest liver I had ever seen, soaks it in salt a few hours, cooks up the onions, flours the liver and fries it. I had 3 portions that night, best I ever ate. The tradition continues to this day. Try buffalo liver some time, sweet!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 12/05/11
Keep in mind that the liver is the "oil filter" of internal organs.
Then remember that a bull elk spends as much time as possible in the summer licking cow piss to check for breeding timing.

You sure you want to eat that?

P
Posted By: Glock2240 Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 12/06/11
Mrs. Glock asked me this afternoon what I would like for supper. I had just finished reading this thread, so I said I wanted some elk liver. She said well you will have to cook it then. So I when to the freeze and got out a package and let it thaw. Then I fried it in flour, salt, black pepper and fried it in hot oil. Then I sauteed half of and onion, then added a couple of Tbs. of flour and made a dark roux, then added 2 cups of water and put the fried liver back in the skillet and let it simmer about 15 minutes. Made a pan of biscuits. Served the gravy over rice with the liver, with the hot biscuits on the side.
I was carrying on about how delicious it was, and the wife said let me have a taste. She said it was delicious and that she wanted some. So now I guess I will have to share liver with her.

Tim
Posted By: scopey58 Re: Anyone try elk liver? - 12/07/11
Liver and onions can taste really good. Then did some reading about what can be in there. No more.... Kinda like eating his oil filter...
© 24hourcampfire