Home
Here is a pic of a bullet pulled from my son's elk. Recovered weight is 116gr's, which I was very surprised about. Looks like perfect bullet performance to me...
[Linked Image]

Bullet was fired from my son's Rem 700 SPS 7mm-08, Rem brass, 43.3gr MR2000. Very accurate load, and obviously enough for elk.. wink
That's what they're supposed to do. Got several that look the same.

It's always exciting when the plan culminates in success due to the use of quality components.
Looks like it supposed to from what I have seen.

I have 110gr Accubond fired from a 25-06 that looks like that.
It left the rifle at around 3100fps and range to the deer was around 250. It hit a leg bone and stopped in the opposite round.

Huntr, can you give some more details such as range of the critter, angle, where it hit the critter?

Muzzle Velocity?
I believe this bullet was a 312 yard shot, don't know anymore than that, sorry. My son and I elected to have them processed there in Raton, NM, so that we could stay and enjoy some time at the Whittington Center and do some more shooting. I asked the guys to look for any bullets in his elk, as I was sure it had held one of his shots.

Looks really good, wish we could of made the trip.

Dober
Congratulations on the elk! Those Accubonds sure are wonderful bullets. My son shot his cow this year with his 300 WSM and 180 gr. Accubond. It performed perfectly as well. His shot was 90 yards.
David
Chip, kind of a crappy pic grin

Not "crappy" performance though... textbook NAB IMO.
Originally Posted by Brad
Chip, kind of a crappy pic grin

Not "crappy" performance though... textbook NAB IMO.

Meant to apologize about that up front!!! grin
I figured laugh
I like the bullet you don't recover for a so called "perfect bullet" picture.
I'd rather they lose those petals, cause more tissue damage, and the main bullet shank exits.

The more I see these AB's the more I'm thinking that I like Partitons better if not the newer Ballistic Tips too.

The say the AB performs like a Partition, I don't think so.

Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Looks really good, wish we could of made the trip.

Dober

Yep, wish you guys could have made it also. Was an awesome trip, Brayden is still so excited. Plus, spending a whole day at the Whittington Center wasn't a bad thing either.
Originally Posted by SU35

I agree... but they're "close." Very close.

Here's a 165 NAB recovered from last year's bull (308 Win)... a "finisher" from 12' and found lodged against the spine. Pretty good IMO.

[Linked Image]

On deer and such I'd just sooner use the NBT. Of course, they work on elk too.
I agree also, very, very close to the Partition, but not it's equal. What I do like about the Accubond is that they are typically very easy to get to shoot.

Next up for Brayden's rifle is the 140gr BT.
Originally Posted by Huntr
What I do like about the Accubond is that they are typically very easy to get to shoot.

My experience with a variety of NAB's is exactly the opposite... I've generally found them much harder to get to shoot than NP's or NBT's.
Also, I must say I was very happy with how the 155gr Scenar performed out of my '06. Elk dropped at the shot and very obvious exit via a high shoulder shot. Looking forward to using them some more.
Originally Posted by Brad
What I do like about the Accubond is that they are typically very easy to get to shoot.

My experience with a variety of NAB's is exactly the opposite... I've generally found them much harder to get to shoot than NP's or NBT's.

The 140 in 7mm's and the 165 out of my '06 were super accurate from the start. Partitions have not always been so easy for me. IME
Chip that looks good at those velocities! I guess you guys had fun and glad your son got an elk. Did you get one?

That 140 AB does not look like that fired at 3250 fps....at those vels with a 140,I will stick to a Partition. eek
Thanks, Bob. Yep, I got one also...

Link to the story and pics..
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...92299/all/Successful_Father_Son_elk_hunt
A couple of weeks ago I called up Nosler to ask him if I should shoot the NP or NAB in my .270 for elk. I've used the NP all my life, and was very happy with them, but I was curious if the AB would be an improvement
The guy at Nosler didn't hesitate for a second, and said shoot the NP.

The answer might be different for other calibers, but that's his recommendation for a .270.
The bullet retained 82% of it's origInal weight, is accurate, relatively cheap, has a high BC, was pulled from a dead elk shot at over 300 yards....and guys are lining up to describe all the "better" bullets for this application.

Tough crowd.
Nothing wrong with your results. I was just passing on what Nosler said.
Originally Posted by iddave
The bullet retained 82% of it's origInal weight, is accurate, relatively cheap, has a high BC, was pulled from a dead elk shot at over 300 yards....and guys are lining up to describe all the "better" bullets for this application.

Tough crowd.

ID: Nope....the bullet done good. Just pointing out that some bullets at 3200 fps can behave different from the same bullet traveling at 2800 fps,and impacting at over 300 yards....that's all.Some are built to handle to extra flack, and some are not. smile
The bullet retained 82% of it's original weight, is accurate, relatively cheap, has a high BC, was pulled from a dead elk shot at over 300 yards....and guys are lining up to describe all the "better" bullets for this application.

Tough crowd.

+1
The answer might be different for other calibers, but that's his recommendation for a .270.

I'm not sure what you mean. Other cartridges or other 25 or 6.5 calibers?
That kinds makes sense if you think about it. Someone calls Nosler then uses a 130gr Accubond on a bulls shoulder at 30 yards and has it blow up then writes all over the net about how Accubonds fail.

I think they have to err on the safe side now with internet wildfires.

I'd use their 140gr Accubond at about 3000fps in a 270. I doubt if there would be a problem.
Originally Posted by bellydeep
That kinds makes sense if you think about it. Someone calls Nosler then uses a 130gr Accubond on a bulls shoulder at 30 yards and has it blow up then writes all over the net about how Accubonds fail.

I think they have to err on the safe side now with internet wildfires.

I'd use their 140gr Accubond at about 3000fps in a 270. I doubt if there would be a problem.

What if the Partition fails?
Partitions don't fail. Period.
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Partitions don't fail. Period.

Exactly why i've used them for 50 years, and the point of my post without coming right out and saying it.

Hard to be diplomatic on this forum.
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Tough crowd.

ID: Nope....the bullet done good. Just pointing out that some bullets at 3200 fps can behave different from the same bullet traveling at 2800 fps,and impacting at over 300 yards....that's all.Some are built to handle to extra flack, and some are not. smile

Bob is spot on with regards to pushing the same bullet fast. I shot 2 deer this year with my 7 WSM (3200 ft/sec) and it failed to exit either but did make a mess and lead to spectacular kills. I'm not an Accubond hater but would match the application to the bullet - as you always should. I'd not hesitate to run the 140 AB under 3000 ft/sec but would run the Partition at 3k and over.

I shot a bull 2 years ago with a 180 AB and it performed perfectly but was run at 2925 from my 300 SAUM. The shot was fairly close and it performed as a Partition would. My buddy used a 165 AB from an 06 (2850 ft/sec) this past year on a decent bull and it performed admirably as well.

I've also shot a fair bit of BT from guns moving much less than 3000 ft/sec and they also perform well. My 308 Bellm Contender pistol loves the 150 BT and H4895 - but its only moving 2400. Deer hate that bullet from that gun. I've also shot the BT in various other 30 cal Contender and Encore pistols with great results. It is a very good bullet at those speeds.

BTW: very good job to the OP!

I'm doing load development today for my 7 RM and WSM using the 160 AB. I'll have to wait till next year to see how they work.
Put me in this camp as well. Love the Partition........
I don't have to be convinced the Partition is an awesome bullet. I've killed enough game with them myself to know how great they are.

I just don't understand the mindset that drives a person to look at the bullet in question, hear the associated story, and then proclaim the superiority of a DIFFERENT bullet.

Whatever floats your boat. There are few bad choices in bullets these days.
Probably because i've also read of some failures. Some bullets need to be at the right fps to work as intended. The Barnes is a perfect example. Too slow and it doesn't expand.

I gave Nosler every chance to convince me the AB was a better bullet. They had nothing to lose. I was going to use one of their bullets. He never said one word about the AB. I was kind of surprised to be honest.

I'm not saying the AB is a bad bullet. If it was. Everybody would be saying that. It works. I just think the Partition works more often. smile

I'm not sure I could have given up using the NP. Even if Nosler said to. When you shoot a bullet for 50 years with no failures. It's pretty hard to give it up. You might be saying the same thing about the AB in 50 years. smile
I don't believe Bob or I did that. One of the other things that happens on this forum is we can learn from each other - on very specific bullets and applications in this instance. Bob simply pointed out, and I agreed, that the 140 AB works well at speeds less than 3000 ft/sec. When pushed faster, as in any 7 magnum speed, it behaves significantly different. If I'm contemplating a flat shooting 7mm bullet for antelope, the 140 AB may be your ticket, elk not so much from a magnum, obviously at 7-08 vels it works perfect. Something we can all store in the rifle looney memory banks and make decisions accordingly.
We are all products of our experiences I suppose.

My experiences lead me to believe the AB works on deer, elk, moose, and the occasional unlucky coyote. My experiences also lead me to believe they work in relatively fast calibers like the .270 and .300 Winnie from ranges between 50 yards and 500. My experiences lead me to believe that if i put one in the vitals/shoulder of ANY ungulate it will end with very little drama...just like the Partition of course.

Most bullets are compared to the Partion for a reason. They are IMHO the benchmark for a great hunting bullet and have been around for a very long time.

My experience leads me to believe arguing that a Partition is more (or less) effective than an Accubond is like arguing the differences between a 30-06 and a .270. There may be some differences, but they are pretty slight and at the extreme ends of the scale.

YMMV and I'm always looking to learn more, so I appreciate hearing about the experiences of others.
We are all products of our experiences I suppose.

My experiences lead me to believe the AB works on deer, elk, moose, and the occasional unlucky coyote. My experiences also lead me to believe they work in relatively fast calibers like the .270 and .300 Winnie from ranges between 50 yards and 500. My experiences lead me to believe that if i put one in the vitals/shoulder of ANY ungulate it will end with very little drama...just like the Partition of course.

Most bullets are compared to the Partion for a reason. They are IMHO the benchmark for a great hunting bullet and have been around for a very long time.

My experience leads me to believe arguing that a Partition is more (or less) effective than an Accubond is like arguing the differences between a 30-06 and a .270. There may be some differences, but they are pretty slight and at the extreme ends of the scale.

YMMV and I'm always looking to learn more, so I appreciate hearing about the experiences of others.

BINGO !!!!!!!!

+ 1.....
Originally Posted by SU35
I like the bullet you don't recover for a so called "perfect bullet" picture.
I'd rather they lose those petals, cause more tissue damage, and the main bullet shank exits.

The more I see these AB's the more I'm thinking that I like Partitons better if not the newer Ballistic Tips too.

Then you prolly really hate these! smile

http://www.swiftbullets.com/scirocco_intro
Here is a pic of a bullet pulled from my son's elk. Recovered weight is 116gr's, which I was very surprised about. Looks like perfect bullet performance to me...
[Linked Image]

Bullet was fired from my son's Rem 700 SPS 7mm-08, Rem brass, 43.3gr MR2000. Very accurate load, and obviously enough for elk.. wink

Congrats to the boy!

I like the Accubond alot! Never recovered one but inspection's of wound channel's (similar bullet placement and distance) leaves me believe that tissue damage is a near image of that left by Partitions. Entrance, damage before exit and size of exit wound as close to identical as two different bullets can get. And both are designed to retain 65% of its weight. IME Great bullets IMO!

Again congrats to you and the boy!
Looks just like the two I recovered from the elk I shot last season with my daughters' 7-08... looks just like the four from the elk she has shot with it too... couldn't tell on the deer though, went right through them.
© 24hourcampfire