Home
and has shot some? with .223 or 50 BMG or anything in between.. Pictures required. I like big bulls and I can not lie. The other brothers can't deny..
My big bulls and your big bulls aren't in the same league in quantity or quality. Every elk I've killed has been with a .280 or a bow. The broken up bull on the bottom goes 48" on the inside. This is all I got worth looking at. I'd rather look at an album of yours.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And a 'Bou Bull...

[Linked Image]
I like to hunt big bulls but end up shooting small bulls. I'm not worthy.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
One of my bucket list goals is a 320+ bull, while I have killed a bucket full of elk nothing noteworthy like those I have seen here. I have hunted NM twice, Idaho for years, BC and Wyoming all for bulls, but nothing worthwile. My passion always has been to have at least a couple of tags in my pocket. I love to hunt, so restricting my self is hard. I am building points in both Az and Nevada, those will be big bull only hunts.
About ten years ago, with some help from a good friend, I managed to shoot a pretty good bull with my 7mm Rem mag. Used a single 175 gr bullet.

[Linked Image]

I don't know what he scores, but he's a 6x6, roughly 51" wide at the tips. Haven't had a legal shot opportunity at a bull since.

Regards, Guy
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I thought you like to hunt for dink deer?
[Linked Image]
good bull I killed last year.
[Linked Image]
Archery bull with the son of a friend of mine
[Linked Image]
A pretty bull
Here's some I've taken in the last decade, hopefully my biggest one is yet to come.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg205/Half_Track/BIG/MT2010Elk.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg205/Half_Track/BIG/2011MT.jpg[/img]
ravenr, Wow! Great photos and bulls.
Is not every elk a good elk? Fore some easer than others.
Heres one for ya Greenhorn, some awesome bulls posted so far....and following the theme of your OP....

"Little in the middle but she got much back"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Is there any other kind of bull to hunt???HAHAHA

I love huntin big bulls, I'm just not always the shooter...
Greenhorn I like that bull with the shifted pedicle, I've got one like that too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I too hope my best is yet to come!
Even though I've shot a lot of them, elk hunting isnt really my thing. I have to admit that lowering the boom on a good bull is somewhat rewarding though. All of these are public land, DIY hunts...

My best few bulls.

WY bulls:

2007:

[Linked Image]

2010:

[Linked Image]

Montana bulls:

Bad picture from 1986:

[Linked Image]

2009:

[Linked Image]

Arizona bulls:

2008:

[Linked Image]

2011:

[Linked Image]

My best by far is this Oregon archery bull.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
GH-that 2nd to last bull is still my fav! Awesome job and then some! Can't wait to see what the year brings fro GHJr... wink

Can he hunt bruins this spring?

Dober
I like to "hunt" for big bulls, no doubt. The act of "killing" big bulls seems to be my struggle.
I've always found that the smaller bulls and cows make for mucho better chow so that's how I roll... wink

Dober
You guys have posted some beautiful pics. It must really get your heart pumping when you finally spot one of those big bulls. I don't know, I've killed dome decent WT deer and a couple better than decent but putting the x hairs or pin on a beast like those posted would be a thrill!

My "big bull" is also my one & only bull, a raghorn and I sure enjoyed myself! Public land but guided by the one and only T. Mike Murphy, Durango Colorado about 7-8 years ago?? Good times.....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My best one from 2004.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And a few I've have a chance to be along.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2007 was a good fall....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We shot these two the same day in 2006.

[Linked Image]

I like hunting big bulls....almost as much as big mule deer.....grin!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A few more...
I want to go with scenarshooter.
That's what I'm talking about.. laugh
Here's a couple of special bulls. Amish father and son, taken exactly one year and a day apart almost to the hour!!! Great people, great hunters and great friends!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here's a couple of busted bulls. The first one is one of my best friends and fellow member NMsheephunter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BigFin
I like to "hunt" for big bulls, no doubt. The act of "killing" big bulls seems to be my struggle.

That about sums it up for me also - all I ever seem to find are trophy spikes:) But then I mainly hunt Oregon and a spike Is a trophy here grin...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

That about sums it up for me also - all I ever seem to find are trophy spikes:) But then I mainly hunt Oregon and a spike Is a trophy here grin...

[Linked Image]

My freezer would love you! laugh

I shot one big bull when I was very young and have no photos. The others were not bigger than a 5X5 raghorn. I remember trying to eat the big bull. The dogs were very happy for the next six months. It wasn't from improper care or not knowing how to cook it; the old bull was just strong and awfully tough. The loins made wonderful Swiss steak, however.

I liked seeing all your great elk trophies! cool Thanks for sharing them with us.

In the name of on-going contention on the elk hunting forum..I'm callin' BS on this one!!

YOU SUCK!...and you know it.... wink
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Greenhorn
I missed you response, so thank you for the kind words
I like hunting elk and BIG bulls. Great thread and looks like you do well with the BIG bulls also.
Looks like some of the others ,have it figured out too.
I have only shot one good 6 pt, and one big 5 pt. I have actually passed up herd bulls in favour of smaller good eatin' bulls, just my preference.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice bulls and neat pictures...never killed an elk, never hunted them but I can see why one would like to hunt for big ones. They are an impressive animal.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These two are interesting to me as they were killed in the same area last season and the season before, archery and late rifle, there's alot of palmation in this area. Both were fun hunts with my friends.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My best 'Crow' find, two weeks after archery season...

[Linked Image]

Long before we knew how to take a decent picture, if someone even took pictures...

[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll237/kentpowellp/IMG_0011.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll237/kentpowellp/IMG_0014_NEW.jpg[/img]

Kent

Scenar, that day in 2006 must have been a long one!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [img:center]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/cpeccia/Bull6.jpg[/img]
Always hunt big bulls......

Thats how I kilt my rag horns and spikes whistle
I love to hunt for big bulls, which tpically screws up an otherwise good elk hunt since I pass up some really nice bulls thinking (stupidly) that I'll kill an even bigger bull. Afer bowhunting Utah's Monroe unit in 2008 and passing on a 330's class bull that fed in bowrange for over 30 minutes, with me only ever raising a camera to take his picture. When I got home (with my tag in my pocket despite encountering some very big bulls) my son took one look at the pictures of the bull I passed and said "Dad, you're a f***ing dumb ass. He was right, now a days I don't have such lofty expectations, but haven't drawn a good tag in a few years, either. Here are my best bulls, sorry for no field photos, these are in my game room.

OK, can't figure out how to load pictures on this site. Can anyone give me some quick pointers, please?

Start a Photobucket account. It's not difficult....if I can do it, anyone can....grin!
[Linked Image]

Hey, it worked! Thanks Scenar!
[Linked Image]

OK, with scenarshooter's help, I've got this figured out now. I don't have any field photos handy, other than the one above, but here are my big bulls as they're displayed up on my fireplace.
Damn! Keep posting!! Good stuff!! We need to start a big mule deer thread.....grin!

Pretty impressive fireplace there DLS.

Looks like you live in a castle!

Welcome to the 'fire....
Here 'tis....my best one...my others are 320-330 bulls. Hope you like it.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

Pretty impressive fireplace there DLS.

Looks like you live in a castle!

Welcome to the 'fire....

Thanks for the kind words guys. When I built my house, I actually built the whole thing around 'my' game room. My wife, who is now my ex, had a house, and I had a room, that was the deal we made. So, I designed a room that was perfect for me. That fireplace was something I wanted for a long time, so I made sure to build a doozy. I like it, especially since I have those bucks and bulls displayed on it.
11+ years ago.
[Linked Image]

just a few years ago
[Linked Image]

blackdogsrules bull 2010
[Linked Image]

my sons bull 2011
[Linked Image]

my 2011 bull

[Linked Image]
Great bulls guys!!!
DLS awesome room! do you have any problems with heat and your mounts?
163bc is that first pic in the Game&fish on the Jic? awesome bulls love the third on your boys bull!
NMP, no, I've never had any problems with heat. That room is kept fairly dark when I'm not in there, so that helps, as well as good insulation. About the only problem I have is that I installed a window high on a wall where the roof goes from a cathederal ceiling to a shed roof design. That window lets in direct sunlight during the summer, so I have to take down a duck stamp collection and it does shine on a few of my mounts. I really need to put a shade up on that window, but other than that, no problems with heat at all. In fact, the bull on the lower right of those three is from 1987, I shot that bull in October of 1987, right before I finished the house and he's still in very good condition after spending about 23 years up on that fireplace. Even the mounts from the late 70s and early 80s are still in great condition.

You other guys have posted some gorgeous bulls, congratulations!
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
163bc is that first pic in the Game&fish on the Jic? awesome bulls love the third on your boys bull!

Sure is. Good eye!! You must been there??
Here's my biggest--and only bull. I love those pics of massive racks, one of these years I'll draw a trophy unit and hopefully get one like some of these bulls on this thread. Until then, my bull is a trophy in my eyes. 5 years later I still grin every time I walk past his rack high on the wall. grin
[Linked Image]

Here is a pic of another 24 hour member who made it into the Jicarilla game and fish offices.

[Linked Image]
I thought so. I was actually lucky enough to work there in college. I see you were there on a late season hunt, how many times did you think, PLEASE let me trade this bull tag for a buck tag!!!!! HAHAHA
Pretty special place. Who was your guide?
[Linked Image]
love the jic
I thought so. I was actually lucky enough to work there in college. I see you were there on a late season hunt, how many times did you think, PLEASE let me trade this bull tag for a buck tag!!!!! HAHAHA
Pretty special place. Who was your guide?

You're right about special. Not many places like the Jic. What a cool gig for a college guy. Kirt Vicenti guided me both times. He was great. Low key, soft spoken, non drinker. Knew the reservation incredibly well. Knew where the big bucks n bulls were that is for sure. My first time there I was hunting on a cow tag in 2nd week of December. The big mule deer bucks were rutting hard. I had a blast taking pics of some of those hammers. Saw some absolute incredible toad bucks. Second time was last week in Dec and the mule deer rut seemed to have been over. Didn't see many bucks and no big uns BUT the second hunt I had a bull tag so I was preoccupied!!!
163bc, That's awesome!

Ravener, you're well traveled!!!Definitely a cool place if you like big antlers!
[quote

Ravener, you're well traveled!!!Definitely a cool place if you like big antlers![/quote]

I try, definately a magical place.
3000 residents on 1.2 million acres, fellas there told me only about half of them get off the sidewalk????

I try, definately a magical place.
3000 residents on 1.2 million acres, fellas there told me only about half of them get off the sidewalk???? [/quote]

That sounds about right, but when I asked my buddy if he'd been finding any horns last year he said it was crazy! Said there was a hand to catch them before they hit the ground! He said Grandma's and everyone were out horn hunting! haha
now that you mention it, that was part of the conversation too.
Good money in BIG deer sheds and the jic. has BIG deer.
Also has some BIG BEARS but the tribe is touchy about the bears.
I wish you jerks would leave me one....

Good job on all of those!
I have always enjoyed chasing bulls, even better if they are big !

Here are a few I and others have taken over the years. Mine....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My brothers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My nephews first bull (14)....

[img]http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt72/elkkill06/scan0001.jpg[/img]

Some of my other buddies..

[img]http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt72/elkkill06/Barrettsunit40bull.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt72/elkkill06/IMG008.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt72/elkkill06/scan0010.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by Godogs57
Here 'tis....my best one...my others are 320-330 bulls. Hope you like it.

[Linked Image]

I like it, very nice pic of a great looking bull.
Well Green Horn bygum.
Here's some animals my friends have taken, me posing for photos. All these are in the 370s and 380s. All from MT.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here's one a good friend of mine killed with my rifle in 2010. I'd photographed this bull during the summer and clipped him in the shoulder during the archery season. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to keep up with him in a half marathon, then at the finish, he'll try to keep up with me on the green beer..
[Linked Image]
Dang you grudjingly. I have my last years rag horn in a potter and every day twiceaday put the merical grow we shall see! grin
Not an elk, but my favorite big bull. 2007 MT Shiras bull.. Ranks with the best eating wild meat I've had and his mount is front & center over my fireplace.

[Linked Image]
PS Should I place them in sunlight?
My first rifle elk, and first archery elk. Both taken in different wilderness areas of SW Montana..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Not an elk, but my favorite big bull. 2007 MT Shiras bull.. Ranks with the best eating wild meat I've had and his mount is front & center over my fireplace.

[Linked Image]

Amazing Shiras.

And your elk bulls ain't too bad either. grin

Look forward to Greenhorn Jr whoopin' Logcutter's azz.
Here's a good friend of mine with my rifle & an elk I shot in 2005.
[Linked Image]
Had my pal above not been with me, this may have been my last elk. Most tiring night of my life. We stated at 3AM and got to the trailhead at 6AM the next day. Got the rest of the meat out a week later.
[Linked Image]
Here's a pretty nice MT archery elk. I have this one mounted.
[Linked Image]
4 Montana hunters drive to NM with a trailer of horses and mules and hunt 4 days in NM Gila Wilderness, 4 big bulls...
[Linked Image]
Shiras. I will take it. With you standing there a texas moose,hornes big body small.grin

[Linked Image]

What did that score, mid-to-upper 170's?

[Linked Image]

awesome !!
4 Montana hunters drive to NM with a trailer of horses and mules and hunt 4 days in NM Gila Wilderness, 4 big bulls...
[Linked Image]

Those guys right there have killed a few critters in their day......
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Those guys right there have killed a few critters in their day......

Yep, most of us have, starting from way back when.
Friends of mine that I've hunted with since the 80's.
I do, if it is not a time when we want/need to be sure to get the best eating.
Not big compared to the others, but I was hoping this might barely slip into the very bottom of the big category.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Not big compared to the others, but I was hoping this might barely slip into the very bottom of the big category.

[Linked Image]

Beauty and big is in the eye of the beholder. What state?
Colorado. And you are correct, it was an awesome hunt so that makes it all the better.
Colorado. And you are correct, it was an awesome hunt so that makes it all the better.

Yes, you look very happy and it appears to have been an excellent experience. The bull is gorgeous; flawless cape and very symmetrical antlers. Congratulations !!!
Originally Posted by Maverick940

[Linked Image]

Beauty and big is in the eye of the beholder. What state?

Heck yeah. I'd be proud too.
© 24hourcampfire