Home
Posted By: dafonz Elk Hunting unit 61 colorado - 06/16/12
I am taking my 70 year old dad hunting in Colorado GMU 61 this fall. I have been reading all about bullets and now am not sure what to use. I have 3 little kids at home so I don't have the time to reload, I have 1&1/2 boxes of factory weatherby 300 mag cartridges with 165gr. tsx bullets. My dad is going to use my Mark V and these bullets do well at the range in this gun but I have never used them on elk, after reading all the different opinions on bullets I am starting to worry about using them.
thoughts?
You're worried about a 300mag killing an elk?

Some guys think a .243 is fine.

I think a 30-30 is fine.

Stop worrying.
Ain't no reason to worry about that combo unless it's inaccurate, a 165 mono out of a 300 wby will make elk meat. A 120 out of a 7-08 or 7x57 will too.
Quit worrying about the bullets and start worrying about getting both of you in shape to hunt elk!

I too got a tag for 61 this year - 4th season cow. I've never hunted there but if you have and have any suggestions I'd sure appreciate it.
My dad has a first season bull tag and I have never hunted the unit either. I hope to get some scouting trips in this summer. but We will be a little limited just because my dad is 70 but I have heard good things about the unit.
Your combo will be just fine. I have killed elk with 165 bullets from 2 different 300's, a WSM and a WBY, both resulted in quickly expired animals.
Unit 61 is prime!
Shouldn't have any problem finding plenty of Elk.
Don't shoot the first bull you see unless he's huge, as there's some fine animals in that unit.
Curious as to how many points it took to draw, or are you using a landowner tag?....................
Go forth and fill an ark....errr elk tag. I dont know what you read that caused doubt in the tsx?
Those bullets will do fine. Shoot 'em up and twice again that same amount at ranges you feel comfortable with plus a couple hundred yards, just to see what they and he will do. Then you'll know how far you can and can't shoot.

If you can't get out here to scout, at least bone up on all the maps and know which roads are open and which ones aren't.

When hunting, stay flexible, go where the elk are, and not where they're not. Sounds simple, but many don't do that.

Here's a 61 story for ya:

https://davestories.wordpress.com/2010/09/05/lightning-wapiti-and-bears-oh-my/

Good luck!

SD
61 is mega prime. Hold out for a monster. They haven't made a bull yet that can handle a 165 TSX thru the boiler room. Relax, go enjoy watching your Dad whack a biggun. RustyL
We got a little lucky on the draw, he had 10 resident points and I really thought he wouldn't draw this year. I think the opening of the Tercio ranch to the ranching for wildlife program took a lot of applications that would have normally gone to some of these high point units. I am in the process now of getting my maps together. I do have a friend that hunted the unit about 5 years ago and he has a friend that lives in Montrose that is going to help us out a little.
Originally Posted by rugerrunner
61 is mega prime. Hold out for a monster. They haven't made a bull yet that can handle a 165 TSX thru the boiler room. Relax, go enjoy watching your Dad whack a biggun. RustyL

Ya know, this is refreshing. I have read the forums here and there for years, usually pops up in a search but I only joined today. At my other 2 regular haunts, people would burn you at the stake for hunting elk in a .308 of any kind with anything less then a 180gr, 200-220 being even better. I have killed several elk with 165gr bullets of a few flavors, and never saw why everyone is so dead set on ancient (for modern hunting rifles at least) ideas that only the biggest, longest, heaviest bullets available will go more then an inch into an elk.
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter

Ya know, this is refreshing. I have read the forums here and there for years, usually pops up in a search but I only joined today. At my other 2 regular haunts, people would burn you at the stake for hunting elk in a .308 of any kind with anything less then a 180gr, 200-220 being even better. I have killed several elk with 165gr bullets of a few flavors, and never saw why everyone is so dead set on ancient (for modern hunting rifles at least) ideas that only the biggest, longest, heaviest bullets available will go more then an inch into an elk.

That's OK, I have a 243 that has killed 9 elk........6 of them in Unit 61........

Casey
The reality of Unit 61 is that there are big elk and a lot of elk but you still have to hunt hard for them. They are not behind every tree and certainly no where near Divide Hwy. Take the advice as some one has already mentioned, get in shape, practice shooting often, you've got plenty of gun.
Really enjoyed Unit 61 a few years ago.
It is a fine hunt. I think it is one of the great hunt opportunities available now.

Find out where the Uravan fire burned a few years ago. You can probably still see it clearly from Campbell point. We hunted that area the year prior to the fire. It is no doubt changed, possibly even better now.
Hey guys ! It sure would be cool to see some pics of the bulls/cows you have taken in unit 61 ! wink
Agreed! We're doing deer and elk 3rd season in 62 and am enjoying the pics of the area terrain as well.
This is what it looked like in 2006

[Linked Image]
Blue Creek
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Tongue
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://www.refugepics.com/members/Alamosa/ChrisM.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.refugepics.com/members/Alamosa/6x7bull.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.refugepics.com/members/Alamosa/loadout.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.refugepics.com/members/Alamosa/2elk.jpg[/img]
Here's a pic from the last time I huted there. 2001 or so................
[Linked Image]
The "Tongue" brings back ALOT of good memories as I spent many a night just under the hill there.
Fairly rough country.......................grin
Another old 61 picture...............
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Alamosa
[Linked Image]

What's the lever gun chambered in?
Here are some shots from 2010:

[Linked Image]

Some nice bears in there, I'd get a tag if you can:

[Linked Image]

Also some big-ass aspens:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by Alamosa
[Linked Image]

What's the lever gun chambered in?

smile That young man didn't even own a gun back when that picture was taken.
He had asked if he could tag along with us and help carry out elk because he wanted to learn how to hunt.
Somehow he squeaked out a cow tag in time for the hunt so I lent him that Marlin .30-30.
Today he is a pretty good elk hunter.
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
Originally Posted by rugerrunner

I think you'll find alot of guys here have knowledge through experience.....not through the internet
Awesome pics guys ! Thanks very much for sharing ! Here is my brothers 2011 bull from unit 61 and it was a blast. One of the easiest and best elk hunts we have ever done.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Elk Hunting unit 61 colorado - 06/21/12
that sword point looks very unique, with the hole in it?
I live in Unit 61 and finally drew a 2nd season tag as did my wife. There are some hard to hunt area's and some not so hard to hunt area's. With your dad being 70 I would stick to the easier to hunt areas. That certainly doesnt mean there are elk there. All you need to do is get up high, bring a bugle and get off the road 100 yards and they will come in and see. It is amazing the amount of animals that are out here running around. We bugled them right up to the road. We ran of the road 30 yards and shot one and then it tried to cross the road and fell over dead with the head on the shoulder of the road. That was an easy one to find.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Elk Hunting unit 61 colorado - 06/21/12
easy to find, but more importantly, easy to pack out..
Yea it isnt a big concern inless you are one to think that the BIG ones are where no one goes. There is no one in unit 61 so they are everywhere
I have hunted cow elk in unit 061 several times. Going again this year. I hope it is not hot and dry like last year.
© 24hourcampfire