Home
So here is the situation......my small framed, 13 year old son has drawn an antlerless elk permit for this fall/winter, public land in Northern Utah.

I have a nice 7mm-08 that has been extremely accurate and I have had very little struggle getting it to shoot whatever we have wanted to. That said, I am beginning to run out of time and have not been able to do the load development I would like. I wanted to try and get the 140 partition to shoot out of the rifle.

Right now, it shoots 140 Accubonds into about 3/4", 5 shot groups at 100 yards with Varget, Lapua .308 brass necked down, and seated to fit in the magazine. The 140 Ballistic tip shoots same point of impact with better accuracy with the same load. It has been known to shoot one ragged hole at 100 yards, but almost always shoots 1/2" at 100 yards.

I have also shot 139 Hornady SP very accurately with IMR4064.

So....I wanted to get to the Partitions and haven't been able to yet. I have 50 loaded up with various charges of RE15 and IMR4350. Hope to get them to the range this week.

If it were you, would you hesitate to just go with the known accuracy of the Accubond, or would you try to get the 140 partition to shoot well?

I have killed each of my 6 elk over the past several years using 160 Accubonds out of my 7mm Mag. Mostly very pleased with the results. I know that the Accubonds work well at the 7mm Rem Mag velocities and with the 160 grain bullet. What are your thoughts on the 140 Accubond at 7mm-08 22" barrel velocities?

I appreciate your responses.

FH

I'd try mightly to to make the Pt's work, but if the deadline is looming, and there are other things to prep for the upcoming hunt, run the Accubonds/Ballistic Tips.

Chances of drama and elk chases are less with the Pt's.....

Casey
140NPT would do it dandily.
Myself i would use the 160 gr Nosler Partition since I'm not that big of a fan of bullets under 160 in the 7mm
The Partition would be my first choice, second is the AB. Get him in close and with the elk standing if possible. I would not use the ballistic tip for elk. The kill zone on an elk is about 18", with your loads there should be no problems.
I think you have your load in the AB's. I would stay away from 160 grain bullets for a small framed kid due to the increased recoil.
Partitions are Definately your best bet. I've killed quite a few Whitetails & feral hogs with my 7-08 using 140gr Ballistic Tip's, & while they all died, I thought the BT's lacked in the Penatraition department. I would sacrifice a tiny bit of accuracy for a better bullet.

And I'm willing to bet the 140 Partitions will shoot a minimum of 2" MOA at 100 yards, worst case scenario.
That's better accuracy than most average hunters can expect when shooting in real world hunting conditions. With a vital zone of way over 10" on a Elk. I don't think your son will have any accuracy problems if he does his part. Good Luck & I hope he is able to have a great first elk hunt.
Having seen both the 139 gr and 154gr. hornady interloc kill elk rather dead rather dramatically from a 7x57, I wouldn't give a second thought to using the load you already have with the 139 gr bullet.
Get the lad some good range time so he has the confidence to place the shot, and there's not an elk on this content that combination won't cleanly take.
Just a thunk but, R15 and or R17 and a 120 NBT or TSX

3rd choice in slug along with R17 would be the 139 Horn sp

Dober
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Having seen both the 139 gr and 154gr. hornady interloc kill elk rather dead rather dramatically from a 7x57, I wouldn't give a second thought to using the load you already have with the 139 gr bullet.

I agree. My hunting partner killed a nice fat cow elk last year with one shot from his 7mm-08 using the Hornady 139 grains Interlock bullet. I don't know the powder or charge he used. He shot just behind the shoulder at a ranged 230 yards. Dropped the cow elk right then and there.

L.W.
If it were me, I'd be using the 140 AB load and spend the time with the youngster practicing.
On the other hand, if you really want to use the 140 Partition, I'd be surprised if you couldn't throw just about any load under it and be MOE (Minute of Elk)
Originally Posted by Teeder
If it were me, I'd be using the 140 AB load and spend the time with the youngster practicing.
On the other hand, if you really want to use the 140 Partition, I'd be surprised if you couldn't throw just about any load under it and be MOE (Minute of Elk)

I was thinking the same thing. Damn guys, since when will a 140gr accubonds not kill an elk that that a 140 partition will?
Any of the above bullets will work. I'd lean towards the 140AB or 139SP myself, though.

If there was time for more load development, I'd take Dober's advise and work up something with the 120gr TTSX. Since time is short, the other bullets you mentioned would do fine from a 7-08.
+ 1
140 tsx
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk

Right now, it shoots 140 Accubonds into about 3/4", 5 shot groups at 100 yards with Varget, Lapua .308 brass necked down, and seated to fit in the magazine.

FH

Problem solved !! You're good to go.

Good luck, post story and pics on return,
Claybreaker
140 Accubond should be fine
Originally Posted by claybreaker
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk

Right now, it shoots 140 Accubonds into about 3/4", 5 shot groups at 100 yards with Varget, Lapua .308 brass necked down, and seated to fit in the magazine.

FH

Problem solved !! You're good to go.

Good luck, post story and pics on return,
Claybreaker

You are ready to go hunting with your son.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I'd try mightly to to make the Pt's work

Me, too.

It really shouldn't be that hard.
Have killed several elk with Accubonds in the .30 cal and .338 cal..excellent performance...they do not exit like Part., but neither did they come apart..
You're done, go hunt. Accubombs will be fine. Just insist he go for a broadside or slightly quartering away shot, which he should anyway. Later, when you have more time, then work up the TTSX or partitions.
44.0 gr. of RL 15, Fed GM210M, Barnes 120 gr. TTSX. Low recoil and has shot well enough (around an inch or better) in every '08 I've tried it in. It will do the job.
My son used the 120 B-Tip on a 6 pt and a cow. Both were 1 shot and neither went 5 feet before dropping. Both shots were right at 325 yds.
They aren't armor played, you don't need premium bullets to kill elk. There were hundreds of thousands of them killed with conventional bullets in non-magnum calibers long before the current magnum, premium buleet craze. I've killed 47 of them with Speer Hot-Cors and Hornady Interlocks from 120 to 150 grains, in .25-06, 7mm-08, .284,, .308, and .30-06. They were shot in the head, in the neck, through the shoulders, and behind the shoulder, at ranges from 30 yards to 350, a couple straight on, and several from the behind at angles. All of them died within 40 yards. My wife and I have killed four elk and two moose with the 130 grain Speer Hot-Cor in 7mm-08, and I will be using the caliber again this fall. The 140 grain Accubond will work fine.
280shooter took my exact workds. I don't see anything wrong with the 120 B-Tip either. Most here find great accuracy from it.
These guys offer good advice the 140 Accubond works great at 7mm08 velocity, your ready for your hunt....a partition will offer nothing extra for your purpose!
I was kind of in the same boat you're in and I asked here.
http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20644
I got some good answers to my questions as to which bullet to use in the 7-08. I think the 140 gr. Accubond will do just fine. I'm more inclined to go for a heavier bullet as you'll see from my post on that site but the majority spoke and I'll bow to their geeater mount of experience. Like you time is extremely short but at least I'm not the one taking the kid on the hunt, just working up the ammo.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by 280shooter
My son used the 120 B-Tip on a 6 pt and a cow. Both were 1 shot and neither went 5 feet before dropping. Both shots were right at 325 yds.

For Elk: 120 gr.NBT = lay where they stood (one shot drop). Bullet held together perfect through both scapula, nice mushroom 230-240 yrd shot. Used the nosler load data for imr4895, didn't have to adjust the powder charge, 3" high at 100 yards, solid tight groupings. End result: Full freezer.
Well I did make it to the range for a quick test tonight. I started at 47 grains of Remshot Big Game and then tested 47.5 and 48. 47 showed signs of decentness, 47.5 opened up and 48 was horrible. I will try a hotter primer than the CCI200 that I had loaded up with.

Next I moved to my choices with RE15. I used 41, 41.5, 42, and 42.5 grains. 41.5 showed a lot of promise. 42 opened up a bit and then 42.5 was way open.

So...I have realized that I can either use a 140 partition with RE15 or move back to the Varget/Nosler Accubond that will shoot well when I do my part.

I will try one more time this weekend and then make the decisions.
My wife has killed two elk in the last five years with 140 grn accubonds in her 7-08 ai . One was a small bull at 485 yards and a cow at 180 yards . The accubonds worked perfect on bolth elk . She is also hell on deer she is using 140 grn accubonds ,h4350 and br2 primers works like a swiss watch .
My son took a big cow elk last year with his new 7-08 and the 140gr Accubond. I can assure you that is what he is carrying this year for our late season cow hunt!
Accubonds it is. Solid groups as usual and held trajectory as expected to about 340 yards today. Tried the same load with the 140 partitions and RE15 that "teased" me the other day. Much worse than expected. So...I will stick with the Accubonds/Varget combo and now we can go shoot more for fun and practice.

Someday, I will get the right combo of powder/primer etc. for the 140 partition combo. Til then, I will continue to enjoy tight groups with the Accubond and trust it to hold together well and penetrate satisfactorily.

I have a great load with Varget/154 Hornady too, but the recoil is pretty stout for my son. In another year or two, I will turn him loose with that combo. I always had that load as my "backup" to my 7mm Rem Mag if needed.

FH
Things that make you go "huh": I bought a .280AI, intending to shoot 160gr Accubonds out of it, but so far, the rifle hates them. But...it shoots 160gr partitions under an inch. You have the opposite problem--your rifle likes the Accubonds but not Partitions.

Good luck with the elk hunt!
Well, how much accuracy will your 13 year old need to hit a basket ball? That is what we are really talking about when you are talking about the heart lung area on an elk. I hunted with a 7mm-08 back when it was introduced and Remington loaded 139 gr Hornaday SP in them, no problem knocking over every thing I shot with it. I have more years and game under my belt with the 7 x 57 and my load of choice is 140 gr Nosler Partitions and 50 gr of IMR-4350. Been shooting that load for over 42 years now. It works, anything similar in a 7mm-08 is going to work the same. I think you should spend less time nit picking loads and just have your son get in some meaningful field shooting practice. Those individual watermelons make excellent targets. Just the right size too.
You are good to go. Since the AccuBond and Ballistic Tips shoot to the same POIm have your son practice with the Ballistic Tips and switch to the AccuBonds for verification just before the hunt.

The accuracy of the loads is WAY better than needed and if the AccuBonds don't do the job a different bullet isn't likely to help.
I doubt I will ever get to go Elk Hunting but if I ever did
I would use what I hunt with here in Alabama
My Ruger RSI 77 Stainless 7mm-08 likes plain old Remington factory ammo with the 140 gr.cor-lokts the best.
I would trust they would work for ELK too with proper placement.
AMRA
Originally Posted by gmsemel
Well, how much accuracy will your 13 year old need to hit a basket ball? ..... I think you should spend less time nit picking loads and just have your son get in some meaningful field shooting practice.

gmsemel,

I agree, but my job is to eliminate as many variables as possible so that he can have a positive experience. Last thing I need is a 13 year old son getting frustrated because his bullet isn't hitting where he is aiming. I merely wanted to maximize the tools I have available to my use and help him have a great experience.

He hunted last fall for deer, and did not have an opportunity to harvest an animal, but we hope that will change this year. His hunt begins in a couple of weeks and will run through the end of January.

By the way, he is a pretty dang good shot at targets and frankly has been known to kick my tail shooting clays. I love the idea of the watermelons. We have also used pumpkins in the past as a great option. We all love to see those things "react" to a positive shot.

Thank you for all your help!

FH
Barnes 140g.
The AB is designed to open fairly quickly and retain 65% of its weight. The Partition is designed to open quickly and retain 65% of its weight. Save your money and load up some BTs for practice. I think you're fine.
Fire Hawk, sounds like you're about ready, especially after the boy flings some lead at targets. I think it's a wonderful thing, you and your grandson, spending that kind of time together. I'm bettn' he'll never forget it. Good luck!
Originally Posted by Waders
Things that make you go "huh": I bought a .280AI, intending to shoot 160gr Accubonds out of it, but so far, the rifle hates them. But...it shoots 160gr partitions under an inch. You have the opposite problem--your rifle likes the Accubonds but not Partitions.

Good luck with the elk hunt!

Thanks Waders!

I know what you are saying. My 7mm Rem Mag loves the 160 Accubonds, but struggles with Partitions. Before I rebarreled it, I got good groups with the Partitions and Accubonds, but couldn't shoot a 160 Sierra Game King worth beans. Go figure.

Anyway, I am set with the 140 Accubonds I believe. My son is excited and we will practice with the 140 Btips and then shoot 140 accubonds to hunt elk.

ANGCorsair,

The reason I was trying to get the Partition to shoot, is that I have about 150 of them on hand. I only had a few of the Accubonds, until this weekend. I bought another box to help with getting ready.

JGRaider, I appreciate your positive comments. My boy is my oldest child (with a twin sister), and I am still learning how to make these experiences a positive experience for him. I had a lot of drive to do this hunting thing on my own. My dad didn't like it all and never took me. I sure wish that my boy was as driven to hunt as I was, but he isn't. He likes it, but mostly because he is spending time with his old man. I won't be carrying a tag at all, so this is ALL about him and hopefully he has a great time. If we get an animal, that is awesome. If not, he has had a great opportunity to make experiences that none of his friends ever get to make.

FH
I hear ya. I use 140gr ABs in a .270 and I've been sitting on 3 boxes of 140gr PTs for a few years. I just worked up a few loads with the PTs and they're shooting decently. Not as good as the ABs though so I'm staying with the ABs. Unless you're shooting at distances where the ABs higher BC becomes noticeable, there is no discernible difference between these two bullets. One has more proven performance but I've never seen an AB not perform as good as any PT. They just haven't been around as long. Whatever shoots best in your gun is the answer.
I killed 8 cows with a 140g Sierra Flat base in a 7x57 before I knew any better.
Shot about a 330-340 6 X 6 Arizona bull on October 28 opening morning at 6 AM at 200 yards with Remington titanium 7mm-08 using 44.4 gr. of RL 15, Fed GM210M, Barnes 120 gr. TTSX. Bullet seated .035 off the lands.

Heart shot bull stumbled about 30 yards and that was it recovered bullet next to offside skin the usual 4 pedals that barns bullets are known for.
Good luck on your hunt.
Mike
You answered your own question in your opening post. Use the Accubond load. My daughter killed 4 elk and 4 Mulies with that bullet, and I killed two more elk with it last year. I took a mature bull at 25 yards, a quartering shot through the point of the left shoulder as he faced me, and the bullet was found in the hide in front of the right hind quarter. My daughter also took a mature bull at about 250 yards with the same load. Worked fine there too. You hear all kinds of BS on the 'net about the monster magnums it takes to kill elk, and that itself is a lot of BS. IME as a guide and outfitter, most elk are taken at less than 200 yards where a 30-30 works fine.
© 24hourcampfire