Home
Posted By: setch Daypack Recommendation Needed - 10/20/12
My Badlands Superday is too big & I need a new daypack. I'm looking at the sitka ascent 14 & the badlands ultraday. Can anyone offer their experiences with either of these - too big, too small, comfortable, not enough pockets, shoulder support, etc.??

thnx
No experience with either of the bags mentioned, but I like the Hill People Gear Tarahumara:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...tails/mid/1916/ProductID/24/Default.aspx

Wore mine on an elk hunt earlier this month and it rode very comfortably. Daily load was about 11lbs, including 64oz of water onboard in two water bottles placed in the packs side pockets. The quality of the materials and construction were, to my mind, far ahead of the Badlands and Eberlestock packs I've seen in local shops in the same price range.
Can't help you with those packs either. I use Kifaru packs.
What I can tell you is that cold weather hunting reguires a pack that will carry extra clothing. Your extra clothing, when hiking, especially climbing, goes into the bag. When you stop to glass or slow down to slowly hunt timber, you may well need all of it.
My small pack has 2200 ci, and an add on pouch that adds still more. So, what 2500 ci or even a bit more ? E
Alright...thanks to both Oregon45 & Eremicus...I'll check out both suggestions
Originally Posted by Oregon45
No experience with either of the bags mentioned, but I like the Hill People Gear Tarahumara:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...tails/mid/1916/ProductID/24/Default.aspx

Wore mine on an elk hunt earlier this month and it rode very comfortably. Daily load was about 11lbs, including 64oz of water onboard in two water bottles placed in the packs side pockets. The quality of the materials and construction were, to my mind, far ahead of the Badlands and Eberlestock packs I've seen in local shops in the same price range.

I like the sleek look, but I'm looking for minimally 1300-1500cuinches...so this is a bit small. I may come back to it if the others don't work out, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm always interested in new products and had never heard of this brand.
It is on the small side, but I found using the compression straps on the bottom to carry my raingear freed up more space in the internal compartment. The absence of internal dividers was nice as well, as you can just use stuff sacks and configure the load however you want to.

HPG makes a larger version of the Tara called the "Highlander" that has many of the same features, but with more internal space.
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Can't help you with those packs either. I use Kifaru packs.
What I can tell you is that cold weather hunting reguires a pack that will carry extra clothing. Your extra clothing, when hiking, especially climbing, goes into the bag. When you stop to glass or slow down to slowly hunt timber, you may well need all of it.
My small pack has 2200 ci, and an add on pouch that adds still more. So, what 2500 ci or even a bit more ? E

I totally understand what you are saying E. My superday is quite large and fills that need in really cold weather. I simply need somethings smaller and overall more compact for easier movement through the woods when I am not packing a significant amount of extra clothing.
Posted By: JimR Re: Daypack Recommendation Needed - 10/20/12
I second the Kifaru suggestion. Well made, comfortable, designed by a hunter and great customer service.
Setch,
If you want to sell the Superday, send me a PM. It is just the right size for how I hunt.

Bob
Originally Posted by JimR
I second the Kifaru suggestion. Well made, comfortable, designed by a hunter and great customer service.

I third Kifaru. You will thank us later. Can't find a better pack anywhere or service!
Kifaru Daystalker or Scout....
Originally Posted by huntsman22

It looks like the daystalker is an older model no longer carried...? I can't find any pictures/descriptions on Kifaru's site....
Does anyone have experience with an Eberlestock x-1? How does it compare to the others being discussed? Thanks
Originally Posted by setch
Originally Posted by huntsman22

It looks like the daystalker is an older model no longer carried...? I can't find any pictures/descriptions on Kifaru's site....

The Scout is the mil version of the daystalker. I haven't looked on there for a while, so maybe the 'stalker is outta prod. These models are lumbar packs just big enuff for lunch and the essentials. If you take lots of extra clothes, they gotta be tied on the outside.
Originally Posted by duckcall
Does anyone have experience with an Eberlestock x-1? How does it compare to the others being discussed? Thanks

I have the X1 but cannot compare to the others since I've never had them but. It has plenty of room, an internal removable partition, waterproof pockets, bladder pouch and of course rifle scabbard. It's very comfortable and balanced. I've had mine loaded to 85lbs and it was fine.
Love my BL Ultraday! Perfect for the day with plenty of room for food, water, and other supplies. The pocket mix is perfect! I don't think you will be disappointed if you go this route.
Ok, good confirmation that these are lumbar packs. I had to stare at the site quite awhile to get that sense given the 'optional' shoulder harness system they make available. Thanks for the help on this huntsman22!
Originally Posted by Huntinut

I have the X1 but cannot compare to the others since I've never had them but. It has plenty of room, an internal removable partition, waterproof pockets, bladder pouch and of course rifle scabbard. It's very comfortable and balanced. I've had mine loaded to 85lbs and it was fine.

Huntinut....does the X1 have a hydration bladder compatability???
If you're looking at BL, also consider the "Pursuit." It's becoming my go-to pack for woods bumming, fishing, predator calling, varmint shooting ... etc.

Tom
It may be to big for your needs but I found the Mystery Ranch Longbow perfect for a daypack through a multiday pack.

ddj
FYI: Try EBAY for USMC assault pack Gen ll. They're about $45 and hold enough "stuff" for a long day afield. The pack will also accept a hydration bladder, viz; Camelbak.

Good luck
Originally Posted by Huntinut

Huntinut....does the X1 have a hydration bladder compatability???

Yes it does. Sorry for the delayed response.
I am in love with my Mystery Ranch Crew Cab. Works great as a day pack, yet has the capability to pack our quarters and accommodate larger loads than a day pack.
Posted By: prm Re: Daypack Recommendation Needed - 10/30/12
I have an Eberlestock X-2 and think it's a great day+ pack. It can fold up small, or expand to haul quite a bit. Much smaller than that and I really don't think you need to worry much about specific design criteria. There are probably 100 or more small day packs that will work fine.
I have Badlands 2200, its a great day pack. I would prefer more outside pockets,but it fits well, is not wide or bulky and really works for me.
I used my Cabelas pack vest. Not a pack, but between that and my well-pocketed Cabelas parka, I had plenty of storage spots and able to distribute any bulk & weight. I lean toward being a minimalist on what I carry while hunting. I did bring an REI Flash pack, which I use all the time, but didn't find the need for on the trip I just got back from. The great thing about the Flash pack is that it's extremely lightweight and takes up almost no room inside your luggage. It's not framed or supported pack, just a sack with nice shoulder straps, a chest strap, and a waist strap. Supports a water bladder. During my hunt, I left pre-light and returned after dark most days from camp, and did a lot of elevation each day.
Interesting idea on using the Flash Pack...I wouldn't have thought of that.
Posted By: rdd Re: Daypack Recommendation Needed - 11/01/12
I purchased the Eberlestock Gunrunner pack last fall and have not had a chance to use it on an Elk hunt in the mountains yet but I did use it during deer season and really liked it.
I use an older model of the Kifaru Spike Camp for a cold weather hunting day pack. I can and have spent the night out with what I carry in it.
http://www.kifaru.net/spikecamp.html
Interesting idea on using the Flash Pack...I wouldn't have thought of that.

Hi Setch, I'm not sure of your needs, like outer pockets and such. I have an older Jansport topload mountaineering type pack I've been using since the 90's (93 I think) and it has served my purposes well. Similar to this one or the Katadhin 20 they also have on the website.

http://jansport.com/js_product_detail.php?cid=1&pid=TXQ3

Personally, I'm a fan of toploaders as they don't have zippers to fail and dump my stuff all over the mt. Someone else here mentioned using stuff sacks or ditty bags so it seems at least one other person thinks like me. My older pack doesn't have "hydration bladder" capability, that would be a benefit sometimes.

I can't speak for their quality nowadays, but Jansport made some good stuff and as I recall had a very good warranty program (one of the reasons I bought mine back then). Oh, I used mine for four summers doing stream research in N Cal, have hunted with it every year from N Cal to NE PA to the White mts of AZ, Deserts near Kingman AZ, and now up here. I've been looking at it wondering if I'm ever going to have to send it back to them for repair. Looks like it will at least get me through this season.

Good luck on your search for the right pack. My experience tells me, for day packs at least, don't forget to look at the mountaineering pack companies. They work pretty good for folks climbing mts, why not for hunting (of course, you may not be able to get it in the hottest new camo/scentblocker style grin)

Geno

Added: have you looked at Surplus ALICE packs?
A couple of good suggestions Valsdad, I'll check them out
I would highly recommend the Badlands 2200. Plenty of room for your food and gear, and doubles as a pack frame, capable of packing out a quarter or head after the tag is full. Awesome warranty also.
If you don,t want to spend a lot of money Walmart had
several day packs at very reasonable prices. One worked
on my wyoming Elk hunt.
I have a badlands and it is by far the worst pack I have ever spent time with. Great for a mid west hunter to go from truck to stand, but for the west, its crap. Very uncomfortable when loaded down with just 15 lbs. Sitka would be a better choice and in the same range if you need one that is has camo. I don't like eb because they have not changed materials to keep up with the rest of the industry and makes their bags heavy. I can't see starting out with 5 to 9 lbs for a bag. Don't get to caught up packs marketed towards hunters, there is a lot of good day packs on the market for hikers that will do just fine for us hunters. Kifaru is still the best if you can drop the money. Here are some sites for packs that you might want to look at.

http://www.altrec.com/
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/BD1071
http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-453-discovery-30.aspx
http://www.backcountry.com/
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/home____

If you can get them in the States, I can highly recommend any of the packs in the Karrimor SF range.

I use a Delta 25, although i wish I'd bought the large Delta 35 now..
Originally Posted by hbc01
I have a badlands and it is by far the worst pack I have ever spent time with. Great for a mid west hunter to go from truck to stand, but for the west, its crap. Very uncomfortable when loaded down with just 15 lbs. Sitka would be a better choice and in the same range if you need one that is has camo. I don't like eb because they have not changed materials to keep up with the rest of the industry and makes their bags heavy. I can't see starting out with 5 to 9 lbs for a bag. Don't get to caught up packs marketed towards hunters, there is a lot of good day packs on the market for hikers that will do just fine for us hunters. Kifaru is still the best if you can drop the money. Here are some sites for packs that you might want to look at.

http://www.altrec.com/
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/BD1071
http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-453-discovery-30.aspx
http://www.backcountry.com/
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/home____

I agree! Badlands packs absolutely suck for any kind of serious use. At least the one I had did(Superday).
I would check out a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab and try it on if possible. If it fits you well, you will love it. It folds up into a day pack or can be expanded for larger loads. It also has a load shelf that is great for hauling meat.
I bought a Badlands Pursuit backpack and one strap broke one month after I got it. Thankfully I was on vacation with my family and not hunting. Never expected such a disappointment from Badlands given everything I'd read
Posted By: 68W Re: Daypack Recommendation Needed - 11/13/12
I am another one with the Eberlestock X-2. I took it out on a very hiking intensive Deer hunt this fall and it performed great. I did a minimalist overnight backpacking hunt with it and it carried a good load of food, sleeping bag, extra clothes, water, and misc stuff. I didn't get to haul meat with it but the sleeping bag went on the meat shelf very well and was rock solid. Good luck.
© 24hourcampfire