Home
Well, I've been puting in for this cow elk tag for 6 years now and finally got it this year. They issued 43 tags for the 2 units that I could hunt in and I had my 9.3x62m mauser (CZ550 American) all dialed in with these 286 gr. Nosler blemished bullets. This is how these gawd awfull blemished bullets performed while developing a load for the old girl:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's the rifle in question:
[Linked Image]

Today was the second day of the hunt, now I'm pissed my hunt is over because of these danged blemished partitions wink......
[Linked Image]

......I would show a picture of the damn blemished partition but I couldn't find it........ whistle grin
And that Burris scope didn't help much either wink

Very nice, congratulations. Bet there was hardly any meat damage as well.
I'm glad you asked about the burris scope grin. I have nothing but good to say about them. I've been using this particular one (it used to be on one of my favorite 30-06's) for quite a while now...Very minimal meat damage (just enough to punch through both lungs and put her down) grin...
Yeah, I'd be pretty bummed out, too. grin
You should get a refund. Those doggone Noslers let your cow down...

Congrats!
lol, Congrats.

Kevin
Originally Posted by GuyM

Congrats!

thats funny congrats on the elk
Congrats on the elk and best wishes for more bad luck with those blems. If I had that caliber I'd offer to take the rest of them off your hands so you didn't have to keep fighting with them. Looks pretty frustrating... smile
The Nosler blems that I've used just had some discoloration. There were no distortions or scratches on the bullets. They shot very well.
Hope it turns out better in the future!! wink

Great job on some nice eats!!
Nice! Good eats for the winter!!
Shot a truckload of .277 BT blems. Every deer my BIL has killed was with them. The ones I got ahold of had crimp rings. Guessing overruns from factory ammo lots.
I used to live in Bend, so all I shot in most of my guns was Nosler seconds. They're fine.
Nice elk. and nice boom stick!
Thanks for the coments guys. Now I'm looking forward to next years bull season on the same public lands..... grin
I interested to know, how it could turn out better?
Originally Posted by Oldtrader3
I interested to know, how it could turn out better?

It could have packed itself out grin laugh. That would have saved a lot of work...
That cow's expression seems to be saying, "That was a Blem?"
Not only are you using blems but didn't you know that the Partition is an outdated bullet that can't kill stuff anymore?
Prayers sent.
bsa -

I'd demand a refund. wink
Yeah, I use those lousy blems in just about everything I own also, When they are available anyway.

It looks like that bullet was so weak it went through that side, bounced off the other side skin and came back out the same hole.
Which unit were you hunting?

Bob
Originally Posted by Sheister
Yeah, I use those lousy blems in just about everything I own also, When they are available anyway.

It looks like that bullet was so weak it went through that side, bounced off the other side skin and came back out the same hole.
Which unit were you hunting?

Bob

Hood/white river unit. I had 1 of the 43 tags issued.....The bullet passed thru both sides. No problemo... grin. Very minimal meat damage and no complaints by me anyway....Couldnt get to the elk in time to ask its opinion grin whistle
Come to think of it, my bull this year fell to a .338 225grain NP also. The petals were just under the skin on the far side and the shank went clean through. Only damaged about a cup of meat as it went between the ribs and took out the lungs and the top of the liver.

Love those lousy old blems..... wink

Some really nice country in that unit. Hunted deer there a couple times but never elk. I've seen some dandys in that area though whilst doing other things....

Bob
Very nice bsa cool

One must wonder why a person even bothers buy'n Nosler 2nds.... with such lousy performance laugh grin

I could not believe how they kilt animals just like there 'perfect' fancy packaged counterparts whistle
You got the same kinds of crummy results I've gotten from their seconds smile
Congratulations!

Those CZ's sure are shooters, I just picked up one of their rimfire rifles this weekend to practice with. Beautiful guns for the money.
Originally Posted by CFVA
Congratulations!

Those CZ's sure are shooters, I just picked up one of their rimfire rifles this weekend to practice with. Beautiful guns for the money.

Oh, thank you my friend. It's not a nice pre 64 model 70, but it does a great job and functions flawlessly so I'm not too upset about it grin
Both of my elk have fallen to partition blems. Mine have a cannulure on them.
You was ripped off, I would call Nosler and lodge a complaint about those bullets not shooting accurate enough and that elk didn't die fast enough or you can only eat up to the hole. Fooling around aside, looks like good solid no fuss no muss performance one expects from a Nosler Partition Bullet.
Yeah, too bad ya didn't do that right. ;-{>8
I'd try to do something about that awful vertical stringing. Maybe call Nosler and complain. After all it could have caused a miss at 1000 yds or so.
Partition's = Good Stuff.

Good job BSA.
Thanks guys, in all reality the cartridge I was using was way over kill as far as I'm concerned. Guys like scenar shooter (pat), Brad, Mark Dobernski, Ignwe, BobinNH etc. etc. have proven that smaller cartridges kill just as well and It wouldn't have taken much to put one through the right spot just as in this cows case. I'm a firm believer in these Nosler Partitions for getting the job done, time and time again they just work!! I've been particularly impressed with these blemished partitions as well and keep a pretty good stock pile of them (thanks Shooter's Pro Shop!!!!!). I look forward to hunting a big bull next year. Take care guys and have a great thanksgiving!!
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Well, I've been puting in for this cow elk tag for 6 years now and finally got it this year. They issued 43 tags for the 2 units that I could hunt in and I had my 9.3x62m mauser (CZ550 American) all dialed in with these 286 gr. Nosler blemished bullets. This is how these gawd awfull blemished bullets performed while developing a load for the old girl:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's the rifle in question:
[Linked Image]

Today was the second day of the hunt, now I'm pissed my hunt is over because of these danged blemished partitions wink......
[Linked Image]

......I would show a picture of the damn blemished partition but I couldn't find it........ whistle grin

GOOD GOD MAN! You settle for that kind of accuracy and bullet performance???

You're awfully easy to please. smirk

Salivating just thinking about all that excellent meat in the freezer. wink
Yeah! Those stupid 9.3 blems. They take all the work out of load development. I find awesome loads so quickly, I run out of reasons to keep looking for better, more accurate loads.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
It's a real shame those junk bullets would shoot. Fortis should be on here telling you guys about them LOL. I'm just Peeved because they don't currently have a caliber I need.
Congrats and good shootin' BSA!
Yah- Partitions are good for nothing but barrel break in... smile

Kidding- if my rifle likes em thats one of my go to's.
Originally Posted by GSSP
Yeah! Those stupid 9.3 blems. They take all the work out of load development. I find awesome loads so quickly, I run out of reasons to keep looking for better, more accurate loads.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Alan, I was going to try some big game powder but couldn't find any around here so I decided to give RE 15 a try since I had a few pounds of it laying around. One of these days I'll probably give that big game a try but the RE15 is easier for me to get my hands on locally. You are absolutely right about load development, I've been impressed with my CZ550 to say the least. Seems different powder charges only affect poi while group size stays roughly the same. I had the same problem with the 270 gr. speer bullet I had too. Your rifle is shooting lights out. Is that the pre 64 model 70 in the echols legend stock I'm always drooling over?
Yep! grin
What can I say other than...............BASTID!!!
Come to think of it, my bull this year fell to a .338 225grain NP also. The petals were just under the skin on the far side and the shank went clean through. Only damaged about a cup of meat as it went between the ribs and took out the lungs and the top of the liver.

Some really nice country in that unit. Hunted deer there a couple times but never elk. I've seen some dandys in that area though whilst doing other things....

Bob

Yeah, I like the area too and was lucky that it opened up a bit. I went back yesterday to get some pictures and store some waypoints in my gps to determine the exact distance of the shot. I was actually hoping to come across a yote or 2 but didn't get there in time frown. Anyway the distance from the shot to where the cow was when I pulled the trigger was .05 miles which is around 88 yards and I guessed the shot to be around 85-90 yards. I had to thread the shot inbetween the 2 trees just a little to the right of center of the picture:

[Linked Image]

I'm just glad she wasn't in the real thick timber.......Timing and chit worked out real well on this shot as she was moving I led her a bit and waited for just the right moment....
Originally Posted by GuyM

Congrats!

That's funny,
Congrats on your elk, I'm sure Nosler will take care of you ..... laugh
Congrats.

Bob

Yeah, I like the area too and was lucky that it opened up a bit. I went back yesterday to get some pictures and store some waypoints in my gps to determine the exact distance of the shot. I was actually hoping to come across a yote or 2 but didn't get there in time frown. Anyway the distance from the shot to where the cow was when I pulled the trigger was .05 miles which is around 88 yards and I guessed the shot to be around 85-90 yards. I had to thread the shot inbetween the 2 trees just a little to the right of center of the picture:

[Linked Image]

I'm just glad she wasn't in the real thick timber.......Timing and chit worked out real well on this shot as she was moving I led her a bit and waited for just the right moment....

There is some great deer hunting and fishing in that unit over by the White River, but be careful if you get down by the river. The rattlesnakes are thick as flies down there.

Bob
Yep not good!! those groups look aweful!!! and Bet the elk steak will taste as bad as the groups!!
All Nosler Blems in the following calibers have been recalled:

Please send them to me for proper disposal!!

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
All Nosler Blems in the following calibers have been recalled:

Please send them to me for proper disposal!!

Ha ha, that is a great one. I almost believed you for a second..... wink whistle
I've got 1,150 qty .308 180 NP's on hand.

I pretty sure I like Nosler "seconds."

smile
Damn Brad, I've only got 600 (over-runs) of those bullets. I've also got 750 180 gr. winchester power points for plinking. I don't know wtf I'll do with that many 180 gr. partitions. I guess I'm lucky all of my 30 cals love them blush
I don't know wtf I'll do with that many 180 gr. partitions.

Hunt the rest of your life? laugh

I've also got 10 lbs of H4350 and a thousands of Fed 210M's... think 30-06 forever grin
Originally Posted by Brad
I don't know wtf I'll do with that many 180 gr. partitions.

Hunt the rest of your life? laugh

I've also got 10 lbs of H4350 and a thousands of Fed 210M's... think 30-06 forever grin

grin....I like your style wink
© 24hourcampfire