Home
My great uncle has hunted elk out west since before WWII and killed many, but mostly for meat and not trophy. During the 70's and 80's he took a yearly trip from Arkansas to Colorado with his horses for a week or two of back country hunting. The last few years he has not been able to go. Not because he wasn't able, but because other family members couldn't go. His long time hunting partners are long gone.

This year he went to Kansas to hunt a high fence ranch hunt. Yeah, I know, but this was probably his last elk hunt. It was mostly to remember the good times over the last 70 years he has had hunting elk, plus a chance to get a trophy rack. He was happy, so I was happy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brad Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/14/12
98 YO... I salute that man!
Living 98 years and still able to go hunting.

That is one heck of an accomplishment. I am glad he got to go one more time. cool cool
Kudos is right! Good for him showing the spunk to get out there.Salute!
Posted By: Huntr Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/14/12
That is AWESOME!!! Congrats to your great uncle!
Posted By: Lonny Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/14/12
Heck yes! Good for him walking the earth for darn near a century is quite an accomplishment and to be healthy enough to still be hunting is really amazing.
Posted By: bea175 Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/14/12
I hope i will live long enough to do the same thing. He has my salute . I hope he gets to do it again next year. Congratulation on a nice Bull
What a great deal! Congratulations to him.
Whats really funny is he has taken to the WSM rounds. He has had several 270 WSMs and finally settle on a 300WSM as his main hunting rifle.

I took him to Cabelas last month. As usual, lots of people came up and asked him if they could help him find anything. Every single one of them he told: Yes son, I'm looking for a gentle wider woman who goes to church, can drive, and likes to eat out. Every single one of them. We went out to eat and he told the waitress she needed to sit in his lap so he could hear her better.
Posted By: 30338 Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/14/12
That is awesome. And got a laugh about the WSM stuff.
Your Great Uncle is my hero. I want to do the same when I am in my 90s.
Posted By: SLM Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/14/12
That is awesome. Tell him congrats.
Damn! I feel young now. I've got another 28 years if I can do as well.

Good on him.
God bless him!!!!!!!!
Great pic. And very inspiring.

BUT you left out one very important detail... what kind of gun is in the pic?!?
Congrats to him!! sounds like a cutter!!
Originally Posted by TexasChase
Great pic. And very inspiring.

BUT you left out one very important detail... what kind of gun is in the pic?!?

He has several, but I think that one was his BAR with a BOSS barrel.
My hunting partners are mostly in their sixties and seventies, and I'm only in my 30's. Hope I still want to get out and go when I'm walkin' it alone. Good for him, and God bless him for his example.

MM
An inspiration.
thoroughly enjoyed the story and pic of your uncle. good for him. may he see his next elk hunt in 2014. thanks for posting.
Thanks for posting, by the picture I thought he was a tough, ornery old bird...by your Cabela's story, I would say that's true! Congrats to him and I hope I get to have almost as many experiences as him!!!
That's quite a man!~ Congrats to him for gettin out there and hunting!
Posted By: CFVA Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/14/12
I bet he's a card, hope to see a picture of him with another elk next year.
Originally Posted by JustinL1
Thanks for posting, by the picture I thought he was a tough, ornery old bird...by your Cabela's story, I would say that's true! Congrats to him and I hope I get to have almost as many experiences as him!!!

That dudes about as tough as they come. Spent a lot of time as a logger in Washington before the war. Sounds like they stayed in the woods all week and raised hell in town on the weekends.

When he was in his 80's, my mom thought he was having a stroke in church. He was slumped over in the pew and not moving one of his arms. She got up to check on him and it turned out a mule had kicked him the day before and broken several ribs. He hadn't gone to the doctor yet but knew they were broke because he could feel them moving around when he breathed. When he was in his early nineties, he broke his ankle. He waited three days to go to the doc because he had stuff to do.

And the reason he wants a woman who can drive is because he says at his age he doesn't have time to be chauffeuring any women around.
Well make sure he can go collect another next year. 98 years, been there and done that. The Elk hunting kept him alive what else could it be.
Great photo and story. Skol!
Congratulations
Posted By: saj Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/14/12
good job, I am sure he is happy you took the time for him
Way cool and congrats to him! Heck I just hope to make it to 98 let alone being able to do anything like that.
Thanks for sharing. The stories of his interactions with the waitress remind me of my grandfather who would always order "windmill water"

That generation is/was pretty special. They saw a lot of things change drastically.
This is great to read and see. I hope he gets to go elk hunting again.
congrats all around. Just to see that happen would be worth me never getting an elk ever!
Originally Posted by Brad
98 YO... I salute that man!

As do I.....what a legacy!
I'd love to go hunting with him. We could talk each others ears off with hunting stories.

Then we could haul out the meat 10 lbs at a time. Might take awhile.
cool
Posted By: WVGuy Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/14/12
Praise God! It does not get any better!
Good for our uncle!!!

Granddad shot his first big game animal, a whitetail, when he was 83. Gave it up some years later after taking his 3rd, said it was "too much work". Wish I'd been there to help him take more, but he lived a long day's drive away. He passed away a year ago, age 100.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/14/12
Congrats. I want to be like him! If I can't get out and shoot and hunt, I can't imagine living!
Posted By: Gary O Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/14/12
Good for him. I don't share the commonly held view around here that high fence ranch hunting is unsportsmanlike, especially if you are limited by age and physical condition. This hunt will be a memory that you and he should cherrish...
I sort of do Gary. I want my last hunt to be as good as all the past hunts. When I can't do it my way. I'll know i'm done.

Just my .02 for myself.
Awesome!
Awesome tale.Tell your uncle congrats. He needs to get back to work,maybe open a school up for 20-50 year olds of today to teach them what the word "Man" really means . Some out there really need it.He sure is an inspiration. Magnum Man
GREAT!!! I hope I'm still above ground at 98, let alone still hunting.

My great uncle has hunted elk out west since before WWII and killed many, but mostly for meat and not trophy.
This reminds me of the Idaho state record elk (on display at Cabelas in Boise). It was taken by another older man hunting just for meat. He was going to leave the antlers but his buddies recognized it as something special so they took them out for him. They turned out to be more than special.
Posted By: Lhook7 Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/15/12
Awesome! Congratulations to your great uncle!
That is nothing but awesome...

the rest of us should be so lucky in our old age...

it must be a blessing just to be around such men as your uncle...

gentlemen like that have lived 3 or 4 lifetimes compared to the rest of us...

simply amazing...
Flat out Awesome!!! I would love to sit down and talk to him for an afternoon. He would have some stories to share.

ddj
That is awesome! Thank you for posting!
Good for him!
Originally Posted by 30338
That is awesome. And got a laugh about the WSM stuff.

I got a better laugh from the "sit on my lap so I can hear you" line, I'm going to file that one away. My hat is off to the man!
This story is beyond cool, many Congratulations to the elderly Gentleman.

Gunner
Don't get know better than that.

Jayco
thats great!
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Whats really funny is he has taken to the WSM rounds. He has had several 270 WSMs and finally settle on a 300WSM as his main hunting rifle.

I took him to Cabelas last month. As usual, lots of people came up and asked him if they could help him find anything. Every single one of them he told: Yes son, I'm looking for a gentle wider woman who goes to church, can drive, and likes to eat out. Every single one of them. We went out to eat and he told the waitress she needed to sit in his lap so he could hear her better.

This is a great thread on all accounts!
Posted By: RNF Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/22/12
I seen this photo at the job a couple weeks ago. His son John had it on his cell phone.

Awesome story and photo.
Posted By: LKEYES Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/22/12
Congrats as well, it doesn't get any better then that. We all are going to really miss that generation, so much to learn from with so few words spoken.
Love it. They should reserve all high fence hunts for kids and old folks - first time I really felt great about one. Way to go!!! Great pic too.
I defy anyone to say that isn't a cool story and pic. May he have the health to keep hunting for as long as he pleases.
Posted By: remfak Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/24/12
Damn, that is just cool!
Awesome! Thanks for the post.....
Awesome!! 98 years young and still can get out and do it, and quite well. A well deserved congratulations!!

Yes sir, that is really cool!!!
I don't know if this thread has inspired some of you hunters that are getting older? It sure has for me. I had thoughts of retiring creeping in my mind lately.

They've disappeared now, and I have new enthusiasm for hunting again.

Thanks for posting this.
One of a few great gentlemen of that era remaining. Just hope somebody in your family has been able to record some of his stories. We were going to do that for years with pops. Our big mistake!
Originally Posted by RNF
I seen this photo at the job a couple weeks ago. His son John had it on his cell phone.

Awesome story and photo.

If you work with John on a regular basis, have him introduce you to his Dad. You won't be disappointed.
If I had a family member who would want to go hunting at this age I would save up vacation all year and forego hunting myself just to go with them. This is priceless. Thank you.
That there is one tough old guy. Stooped a bit, but hardly peein in depends in a wheelcahir! Congrats!!!!!
Posted By: rong Re: elk for my 98yo great uncle - 12/26/12
god bless him,and all involved,congrats thanks for a positive story,with all the BS going on now we need more like this
© 24hourcampfire