Home
Posted By: captdavid Elk heart recipe? - 01/10/13
I've heard fajitas and boiled for sandwitches. Any other suggestions? capt david
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/10/13
Uhh, Leave them for the coyotes?.....Thatta way, you don't have to rack your brain trying to come up with some creative way to make them edible........same goes for livers.
Posted By: jryoung Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/10/13
Remove all non-musclar tissue, and slice the heart in half. Soak in brine (salt and water) for 2-4 hours. Remove from brine, pat dry and put the heart in a ziplock bag. Grab your splitting maul and pound the heart with the blunt edge to tenderize.

Remove from bag, add cumin, coriander, garlic, salt and pepper. Fry or grill until done, add to warmed tortilla and add sriracha....best elk camp dinner ever.

[Linked Image]
I'd rather sneak out back to the meatpole and whack off a tenderloin........
I mean, with the splitting maul.....
Posted By: Sheister Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/10/13
Funny, I've never had to tenderize a heart. I just clean as above by soaking in Water with salt added. Then cut the heart in half, cut off all of the fatty tissue and as much of the membranes as possible. Cut into thin strips, coat in seasoned flour and egg and fry until medium rare.
I've always done it this way with deer, elk, and moose heart and it has always been so tender you can cut it with a fork. Best meat ever, but I've had to stop eating organ meat due to high cholesterol levels and heart issues.
Pretty much the same way I cook liver.

Bob
What a waste of crawdad bait......
Posted By: captdavid Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/10/13
I have eaten liver from elk whitetail, axis, fallow and sika. I just ate some from my first elk. It was excellent! capt david
Huntsman22, have you ever eaten heart and liver? capt david
Huntsman22, have you ever eaten heart and liver? capt david
Originally Posted by Sheister
Funny, I've never had to tenderize a heart. I just clean as above by soaking in Water with salt added. Then cut the heart in half, cut off all of the fatty tissue and as much of the membranes as possible. Cut into thin strips, coat in seasoned flour and egg and fry until medium rare.
I've always done it this way with deer, elk, and moose heart and it has always been so tender you can cut it with a fork. Best meat ever, but I've had to stop eating organ meat due to high cholesterol levels and heart issues.
Pretty much the same way I cook liver.

Bob

Maybe you should try not frying it wink ....wild organ meat is very healthy compared to any commercial meat.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I'd rather sneak out back to the meatpole and whack off a tenderloin........

That's what she said.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/10/13
Cut heart into 1/2" slices 2" long, bait trotline heavily, check in 24 hours, remove catfish, deep fry and eat.

Gunner
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/10/13
Originally Posted by gunner500
Cut heart into 1/2" slices 2" long, bait trotline heavily, check in 24 hours, remove catfish, deep fry and eat.

Gunner

Now that's my kinda thinking! wink
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/10/13
laugh laugh

Gunner
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/11/13
Elk heart is a fine piece of meat. I like to just roast it in the oven until it has just a touch of pink. It goes great with stuffing. Homemade stuffing is best, but Stove Top is better than nothing.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/11/13
I was preparing for an "eat the board finish", but you really do wolf it down.

My first heart efforts were quite tough, but next time I have one I'll come back here for a look.
Posted By: Huntinut Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/11/13
I do fajitas with mine but I've never marinated it, just the seasoning when it's cooked. All of my family think it's great and no complaints. As stated above it does need a good trimming first though
Posted By: ribka Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/11/13
Boil heart for 45 minutes in water , a few onions, bay leaf salt and pepper

Cool. Slice thin an ddredge in flour, salt peper , garlic powder and fry 3 to 4 min each side. Deglaze pan white wine. Make gravy. Pour a glass of Malbec, serve over wild rice or cous cous

enjoy
Posted By: tipmover Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/11/13
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Elk heart is a fine piece of meat. I like to just roast it in the oven until it has just a touch of pink. It goes great with stuffing. Homemade stuffing is best, but Stove Top is better than nothing.

I just tried this out last weekend and it turned out to be quite tasty!
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/11/13
Originally Posted by captdavid
I've heard fajitas and boiled for sandwitches. Any other suggestions? capt david

Rinse well and soak overnight to get the blood out of the tissue, then slice fairly thin (3/8 to 1/2 inch), bread it in a mix of flour, salt, and pepper, then fry it. Add a little water, put a lid on it, and let it steam a bit. Mom usually did the same with the liver ... in the same pan. Once they're done, add a little flour and milk to the "stuff" left in the pan to make a white gravy. Serve the liver 'n' gravy over home made hash browns. That was our family tradition for the day after a successful hunt.

Tom
Posted By: 100_dollar_Bill Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/24/13
Pickled w an equal amount of onions. My old man, 91 years, says that its what has kept him alive so long. I still save all my venison hearts for him. He gets peeved when I report a heart shot. Says that I should practice more and aim a bit higher.
Posted By: Rogue Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/25/13
Fried in olive oil with onions and bell peppers in a cast iron skillet.

Maybe along side of some heavily garlic-ed fried potatoes. Very good [bleep]....
Posted By: Malloy805 Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/25/13
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Uhh, Leave them for the coyotes?.....Thatta way, you don't have to rack your brain trying to come up with some creative way to make them edible........same goes for livers.

I came REAL close to getting thrown out of an Elk camp where I was a guest because I left the heart and Liver for the Magpies.......
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/25/13
Slice into quarter inch thick slices. Fry in cast iron pan with half stick of butter and a little olive oil. Salt pepper. Umm Umm good. Don't forget Moose and whitetail.

Jim
Posted By: LostArra Re: Elk heart recipe? - 01/26/13
Pickled Elk Heart
I think there is plenty of other meat on an elk to fry

The heart:

[Linked Image]

trimmed cooked sliced:

[Linked Image]

the brine (plenty of recipe options, google 'em. basically vinegar, garlic, onion, hot peppers):

[Linked Image]

try to wait at least two weeks before opening

[Linked Image]

serving option: chef's salad (other option is, of course, sandwiches)

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 444Matt Re: Elk heart recipe? - 02/03/13
Bunch of great options here. I look forward to trying my first whitetail heart this coming season, will keep this thread in mind.
Posted By: Jesse_James Re: Elk heart recipe? - 02/07/13
Probaby my favorite part of the ELk. It never makes it home. I just clean all of the fat and vessels up and dip in egg and flower and pan fry. I had a couple of people in camp that stuck their noses in the air when I said I was going to cook some. THen they tried it and changed their minds. By the time I got done cook all of it there wasn't much left for me to eat!
Posted By: Tejano Re: Elk heart recipe? - 02/07/13
Similar to some of the above but this is how they cook Llama and Beef heart in Peru.

Clean and cut in a spiral like you were peeling an orange in one long piece.

Marinate in Red Wine vinegar with cumin, onions, garlic, cilantro and chili peppers. Only marinate for about 30 minutes or it starts to get tough.

Skewer add salt and pepper and grill quickly directly over the coals. No more than medium rare. Serve with lime or pico de gallo. This is good for fajitas but usually doesn't get far from the grill before it's gone.
Posted By: mart Re: Elk heart recipe? - 02/07/13
We tried pressure cooking a caribou heart this year. About 45 minutes in the pressure cooker. My wife made a low bush cranberry dressing, stuffed the heart and roasted it after the pressure cooker. It was excellent and very tender. I'm sure it would work on elk as well. We like heart to start with.

Mart
© 24hourcampfire