Trail cam pics from my property

pregnant cow
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab186/ribka123/trail62_zps38784fc0.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab186/ribka123/trail60_zpsf8ad712a.jpg[/img]
Posted By: ribka Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/03/13
bull checking out backside of a cow
[Linked Image]

two bulls new antler growth
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

cow and calf

[Linked Image]
another very pregnant cow

[Linked Image]

after a heavy rain
[Linked Image]

you looking at me?
[Linked Image]
another pregnant cow

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

old cow
[Linked Image]
Nice pictures
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/03/13
Wow! Love the pics and yes...it will kill one very very dead...like graveyard dead. Use a good bullet and place that bullet in the vitals and it will be all over but the crying.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/03/13
the 06 will kill coyotes too!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/03/13
I'd be lookin for them coyotes with the '06 first....

Really nice pics !
Posted By: Pete E Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/03/13
Ribka

Very impressive pictures..May I ask what model TASCO trail cam you are using?

Regards,

Peter
I have the cheap Tasco models I picked up 4 years ago. I don't use expensive one because camera theft is a problem.

I'll be archery hunting this year
Posted By: Reba Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/03/13
My last cow elk was killed with a .308 and a Sierra 165 at 200 yards. One heart shot throught the front leg.
A few more

[Linked Image]

Amazing how fast antlers grow

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
From a week ago
[Linked Image]
Have had problems with elk pushing my cameras around on trees

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
None of the elk I have shot with the .06 have crawled out of the freezer in the last 15 + years, so I suppose it works.
In that setting a 30-30 would be fine. 170gr Partition.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/03/13
Great pics!

Oh,and the '06 definitely works! wink
no. Only AI'd will.

Nice pics.

Posted By: BMT Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/03/13
Jealous here . . . .
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/03/13
Looks like you have a pretty nice set up there!
Posted By: CKW Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/03/13
Ribka, very nice photos and a beautiful area you live in.

I assume you are aware of the high wild-fire danger represented by the vegetation species composition I see in your photos? shocked If your home is nearby; I hope it is buffered against a potential forest fire.
Great photos! The elk are nearly on top of the camera.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/04/13
We have the same problem with elk attacking our cameras. I think they may be after the bird schitt on the game cams! Probably some salt in it. We have a few 30 minute videos of elk licking and nuzzling the cam.
Will a 30/06 kill an elk?
Do the Pope work on Sundays?
Does a fat baby poot?
Does a redneck like Bar B Que?.....
A 30/06 will kill anything with the right bullet placement.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/04/13
Very cool pictures!
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/04/13
The first elk I killed was with a bone plain as-issued-Remington 03A3, the elk didn't notice the lack of "modern" caliber or scopes.

NICE photo spread...now if you can just figure out where they disappear to on the night before the opener...
Posted By: tmax264 Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/04/13
Nice pictures and I'll ask the guy hanging on the wall if he's dead or not. If he ain't dead he's sure stayed mighty still and quiet these last 15 years.
Posted By: ribka Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/05/13
This is a calving area for the. They come here every year and they will hang around another month or so and then head to nearby deep canyons nearer water sources. I'll move cameras then and set up tree stands for archery season beginning of Sept. The bulls seem to stick around in small bachelor groups until beginning of August. This is based on the past 7 years observing them near the house.

I really enjoy watching them and listening to their vocals and observing their behavior. Neat animal
ribka,

Great photos--and obviously great location! Congratulations.

As for the answers to your original "question," they're more evidence than relatively few Campfire members actually read the original post before answering--or know the meaning of "rhetorical."

Word.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
ribka,

As for the answers to your original "question," they're more evidence than relatively few Campfire members actually read the original post before answering--or know the meaning of "rhetorical."

But they were distracted by the photos!
It's human nature for men to not let anything get in their way when they know the answer to an easy question. It's the killer instinct in us.
NICE, I see elk loin in your near future Ribka, got an ole Bud out West that invited me to hunt his place this year, if time allows think I'll use my Shiloh 45-70 to hunt with.

Good luck and safe hunting this year.

Gunner

[Linked Image]

Cheese...

Actually I am pretty sure my 30 Super Flanged ("British 30-06") would do the job with the 220 grainers satisfactorily.

CZ
30-06 brass formed into a .270 will not kill an elk, under any circumstance. Everyone knows that, yet still some try!

30-06 necked down to a .280 will kill an elk. But you will have to shoot the elk more then once!

A 30-06 will kill an elk, if and only if your currently up-to-date with the trendy/best bullet. Try those Supercalifradileboolisticextraexplosive � if you can find them.

Nice pictures!
ribka,

I know what it means, but I just read the title, and looked at the pretty pictures. I figured it was just another dumb bullet/caliber/elk question.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/10/13
ribka,

+1
My thoughts as well.

If the thread title had been 'Who is buried in Grant's tomb?' ....
Originally Posted by tikkanut
I'd be lookin for them coyotes with the '06 first....

Really nice pics !

Me too!

Nice place to bow hunt.
Posted By: LostArra Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/11/13
Nice photos and terrific neighborhood!

Are the dates correct on your camera?
I was just wondering when the elk in your area drop their antlers and when you start to see them forming again.

Posted By: gmsemel Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/11/13
Nice Photographs- You could take one of those cows with a well placed shot with a 243 under those conditions. But those conditions are not when hunting season is a foot. As for the cartridge in question, yea but there are a whole bag full of others that will do as well, the only thing is that all the others compare to the gold standard .30-06 a 180 gr bullet at around 2700 fps seems to just work, when it dose not its more a case of poor marksmanship than anything else. Since you are going to be bow hunting, my comments are more to hear myself type than anything else. Should be a good season.
Posted By: savage62 Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/11/13
No a 30-06 willnot but the bullet shot in one mite
Yet another....
Posted By: super T Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/11/13
It's beyond me why anyone would settle for a 30.06 when for the same money a guy can shoot a real rifle/round like a super zapper 300mag. If a 180gr bullet at 2700fps is good why isn't the same bullet at 3200fp better? The 300Weatherby Mag is what every 30.06 wishes it was. But, wait if the big 300's are good, wouldn't the 340 Weatherby be better? And what's wrong with killing flies with a sledgehammer anyway?
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/11/13
The Tasco camera seems to work as well as anything. They made fairly decent into level scopes if I remember right. The Japanese made ones were better than the Philippine made ones.
Nice pics at any rate. I assume the headline was to draw attention as the '06 has killed it's fair share of elephant let alone elk. Good luck this fall, hope to see some follow up meat pole shots.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/11/13
Funny. I've owned a couple 300 Win Mags, 308 Norma, 300 WSM, and a 300 Weatherby. I'm back to the ol' faithful '06. I had the 300 Weatherby in a Vanguard and didn't care for it much. Although not a real fair shake to the 300 Weatherby, I may have liked it more had I spent the extra coin and bought one of their better rifles. Out of those listed above I liked the 300 WSM that I had in a Tikka T3, oddly enough. I say that as I'm a wood and blue steel kind of guy. If I were to go down the 300 mag road again I would take the time to find or build an H&H on a Winchester M70 action.
My current '06 stable suits me well though one being a Ruger No.1 RSI that has a tuned trigger and a Trop safety so the empties exit without any hang ups. The other is a M77 Hawkeye stainless for beating around in the poor weather. I had the trigger tuned and the action polished plus a set of Williams irons which are being tacked on as I type this. If I weren't such a cheap bastard I would build a 7 Mashburn like I've always wanted to and run that exclusively. I just can't get past the frugal '06. It just keeps killing stuff with such boring effectiveness and does so on the Dave Ramsey budget. Being, as my grandmother so eloquently put it " so English I'm Scottish" I appreciate the economics of it. Not to mention I have collected about 1K '06 brass all of which are properly neck turned, annealed, and formed to my specific rifles.
Is Bismarck a herring?

Good luck on your BOWHUNT! Might want to consider getting some of those "patriot arrows" that robin hood shot in Robin Hood, Men in tights. The extra power really helps and they are so accurate!
Posted By: grovey Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/12/13
Them critters is tasty....
The way some gun writers talk about the 06, bullets simply bounce off, or need a 300 Magnum for elk.
Posted By: Ready Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/13/13
Per se and left alone, -06s tend to be of a layed back, stay at home, in the closet, stand around disposition. Backwards in sentiment, if you wish.

However - an able companion finds them ready for most any rifles task at a moments notice. Add 700 $ and almost no problems remain unsolvable.

One should be able to get an elk at that place, me thinks. 06 or sticks n'strings...
Posted By: ppine Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/13/13
The .30-06 has probably killed more elk, than all other calibers combined, or close to it.
Probably right ppine, I shot one through the heart at 300 yds with a 165 gr Hornady BT, don't know why I needed the 338/378 probably cause I needed to shoot them at 700 yds.
Posted By: ribka Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/15/13
[Linked Image]

Starting to grow. Grooming for the ladies
Originally Posted by CKW
Ribka, very nice photos and a beautiful area you live in.

I assume you are aware of the high wild-fire danger represented by the vegetation species composition I see in your photos? shocked If your home is nearby; I hope it is buffered against a potential forest fire.

Yes fires are always a concern especially in Sept when stuff dries out before Sept rains. Ran over and hosed down around neighbors' house for 3 hours to stop fire from burning out buildings and house. Big pucker factor

[Linked Image]

Fire at neighbors last Sept. Thank God controlled before it entered the timber
Thank God wind changed directions last moment

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kennyd Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/16/13
I think I finally figured it out. Elk have been crossing with wild boars, and now have a plate that cannot be penetrated by much less than a .50BMG.

/too bad you have to worry about camera theft. Thanks for making the bug worse.

Gonna post any pics of the calves?
Posted By: ribka Re: Will a 30 06 kill an elk? - 06/17/13
Yep coming up
© 24hourcampfire