Home
Posted By: drycreek Game Bags - 08/06/13
If this has been asked before my apologies, did a search and came up empty, but what type game bags is everybody using.
Posted By: Heat Re: Game Bags - 08/06/13
Caribou Gear. Bought them in the Bargain Cave at Cabelas online a couple years ago. They are lightweight, tough, re-usable, and very breathable. I'm sold!
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Game Bags - 08/06/13
I go to Goodwill, buy bed sheets and wife sews them up into bags.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Game Bags - 08/06/13
Been using TAG bags for about 8 years now and will never use anything else.

Game bags
Posted By: Aviator Re: Game Bags - 08/06/13
I just go to walmart and buy cotton laundry bags...they work fine.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Game Bags - 08/06/13
Originally Posted by saddlesore
About as good as they come and they cost a fraction of what commercial game bags cost. Old pillow cases are great for trimmings, hearts, etc. Sheets have a tight weave so they keep more dirt & bugs out while they still let the heat escape quickly. Besides, when my kids grew up, I ended up with the only superman and leopard spot game bags on the mountain.
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
No way is someone else's old sheets touching my elk. I would buy new pillowcases.

Dink
Posted By: Huntinut Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13

yup

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
Thrift shop pillow cases here..
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
Hate to be a buzzkill but there are millions of dead skin cells even in freshly laundered sheets and pillow cases...perhaps billions. Not to mention every other bodily fluid cells known to mankind.

No friggen way I'm letting those things touch my elk meat.

Posted By: mudhen Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
My wife just bought a small bolt of muslin and sewed up six of them for me. She put ties on the mouths, which I thought was gilding the lilly, but they work. She double stitched all of the seams. The two big ones will each hold a deer with the lower legs cut off. The four smaller ones will handle the hind legs, the shoulders and and all the boned out meat from an elk. You can divvy it up so that each one is a manageable load on a pack frame. The material breathes, but is thicker and tougher than bed sheets and the like.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Hate to be a buzzkill but there are millions of dead skin cells even in freshly laundered sheets and pillow cases...perhaps billions. Not to mention every other bodily fluid cells known to mankind.

TFF! Holy [bleep] you dumbasses are a riot..
Posted By: rayporter Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
i used tag bags that a friend had several times. my own bags are caribou bags. i cant tell the differance in them. both brands are very compact.

i always keep sheets at camp and at the truck for extra coverage.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
I use heavy duty canvas bags, though I can't remember the brand.

Those cheapie throw away bags are less than useless, as are the Alaska game bags IMO. They let flies and dirt right in.
I'm bringing hand sanitizer on my next hunt.. and Sanitizer wipes..

I'm OCD'ing that [bleep] elk!
Posted By: BWalker Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I use heavy duty canvas bags, though I can't remember the brand.

Cabela's sells em.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Yet you sleep on them when you stay at a motel, or a friend's house, or your own house.
We're renaming it the OCD campfire!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
What Saddlesore said, and they are large enough to take full quarters with no bone showing out the top.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

People that use that crap just get sick more often..
Posted By: kawi Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
Double buzzkill a wife mucks out most profits.. grin
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
If you want to see something scary, look at an elk's hide under a microscope, especially a rutting bull. It would gag a maggot.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13

That and or get king size pillow cases and put rope in the opening in a draw string formation.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
Originally Posted by DINK
No way is someone else's old sheets touching my elk. I would buy new pillowcases.

Dink

These are the same type of guys that brag about leaving the hide on an elk to keep it cleaner
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13

LOL... maybe he doesn't have a washing machine and bleach.
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13

Dink

These are the same type of guys that brag about leaving the hide on an elk to keep it cleaner

I ain't afraid of dirt.

Dink
Posted By: rost495 Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13

Dink

I THINK it might be ok to wash them before use..... some folks are nuts seems.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13

Probably some lead fragments in the meat too! It's a wonder any of us have lived as long as we have whistle
Posted By: snubbie Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
Originally Posted by BWalker

You ever notice the numbers of people (men) using a public restroom then leaving without washing their hands? Thinking about the last thing they had in their hands right before grabbing the door pull is incentive enough for me to take my chances with hand sanitizer...just saying.

Having said that, worry about using a "used" sheet to pack out meat is laughable to me! Ever heard of a washing machine? And if you looked at what you sleep on every night under a microscope, that which is living in your nice clean bed, you'd have nightmares! LOL! You want to freak out? Google "demodex" and see what's living on YOU!
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
Lol. Maybe I went overboard, but I ain't using some old pillow case with dried saliva and [bleep] embedded, embedded deep, deep into the cotton fibers at the microscopic level. grin
Originally Posted by snubbie

You ever notice the numbers of people (men) using a public restroom then leaving without washing their hands? Thinking about the last thing they had in their hands right before grabbing the door pull is incentive enough for me to take my chances with hand sanitizer...just saying.

Having said that, worry about using a "used" sheet to pack out meat is laughable to me! Ever heard of a washing machine? And if you looked at what you sleep on every night under a microscope, that which is living in your nice clean bed, you'd have nightmares! LOL! You want to freak out? Google "demodex" and see what's living on YOU!

Only use public restrooms when I absolutely have to and when I do I don't touch anything.
Posted By: K_Salonek Re: Game Bags - 08/07/13
I think I might have some of that OCD ?

Cause I don't seem to mind if I am just not strong enough to hang the quarters in a tree with out one or two hitting the ground.

Maybe I am not fast enough to suit some's idea of getting the game field-dressed?

Bet I never even a seen a horse, mule or pack-out equipment that meet packing-plant standards?

I hear that flies puke digestive enzymes onto what ever their eating before they can lap up elk meat!

I bet there are more pathogens just floating in the air then we can count?

Why many of us even cut right through what for a lack of a better name could be called the bulls 'piss-parch' with the same knife we use for the entire field dressing process!

Not sure for the life of me what is wrong with using bed sheets?

But for those that are sure that is what caused the mutant germ that lead to zombies?

There not invited!

[Linked Image]

I bet the squimsh-factor is inversely proportional to the amount of time afield or on the farm?

btw: Used bed sheets are a lot handier sewn into a pouch. Way handier yet of they have a draw-string! Handier then just mantied around a quarter with used bailing-twine. Once it's cold enough, I have not had a lot of problems with out anything.
Posted By: snubbie Re: Game Bags - 08/08/13
Originally Posted by snubbie

Only use public restrooms when I absolutely have to and when I do I don't touch anything.

You touch your goober....

.....then grab the door knob. The same one everyone else has to grab.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Game Bags - 08/08/13
You missed the dont touch anything part..at least anything that isnt mine.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Game Bags - 08/08/13
Old bed sheets sewn up into bags are my favorite.
Posted By: claybreaker Re: Game Bags - 08/08/13

This!!
I pay about 50cent per on average.

Be safe
Posted By: bwinters Re: Game Bags - 08/09/13
Originally Posted by claybreaker

This!!
I pay about 50cent per on average.

Be safe

Had I known pillow cases were germ factories I would have at least washed yours - before I gave them to you....... wink
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Game Bags - 08/09/13
I use the sportman warehouse brand quarter bags....there fairly reasonable!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Game Bags - 08/09/13
I only shoot the elk that have a bubble around them!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Game Bags - 08/09/13

BINGO!!! wink

Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: Game Bags - 08/09/13
Great tip on the bed sheets guys. Thanks!
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Game Bags - 08/09/13
Right on Esox.

I'm looking for the guy in the bubble this year.

All this saliva and [bleep] talk has me spooked....
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Game Bags - 08/11/13
I'm taking TAG bags with me again this year on my CO elk hunt. They are lightweight and pack small. My wife is not good with a needle and thread.
Posted By: brdana Re: Game Bags - 08/13/13
Caribou are very light, very strong and don't take up much space in your pack. Wash them and reuse them. I think they are a good investment.
© 24hourcampfire