Home
Posted By: Chaser82 Oregon hunters... - 09/12/13
I'm calling it quits from the Army after six rather long years and long flights across the big ponds. For several different reasons, I was never was able to make back for any hunting. I'll make in time for 2nd season coastal elk, so of course I have that tag(was unsuccessful drawing any other tags) I said all that to say my Dad and his hunting party hunt over east and aren't too familiar with coastal units. Any advice on units or areas we should focus? Any pointers would be great!
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/12/13
Chaser82,

First of all, Thank you for serving our great nation!

I wish I knew where to get you started, but I don't personally hunt the coast range.

That said, I think if you were to talk to the biologist in the area you finally decide on and "tell him or her your story" that they may do the stand up thing and point you in the right direction.

Taxidermists, in the same area can also be a good source of information, if properly approached.

I would go solo and not include your crowd. Folks will be less likely to share information if they think there's going to be a bunch of folks joining in.

Good luck and welcome home.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/13/13
Sign up at ifish.net Post your question there. It has the largest hunting forum for Oregon. Use the search there, It works very well. Lot of Military there
Posted By: Chaser82 Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/13/13
Thanks for the pointers guys! I'll also check out ifish, should of thought about that, I was just gocking over the bulls they posted earlier today.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/13/13
Originally Posted by baltz526
Sign up at ifish.net Post your question there. It has the largest hunting forum for Oregon. Use the search there, It works very well. Lot of Military there

That's a very good idea.... It's one of my favorite sites.
Posted By: Dre Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/13/13
+1 for Ifish, maybe ill see you there.
thank you for your service. glad youre home to be hunting elk.
Posted By: Chaser82 Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/14/13
Thanks for posting as well guys! They've been on my Facebook for a while, but haven't really checked out their forums. You'll see me on there..
Posted By: beretzs Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/16/13
Congrats on your 6 years of service buddy. I am on my 17th right now.

I will be in OR this Fall, but in the Western part of the state. Good luck. Welcome back.
Posted By: Chaser82 Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/16/13
Originally Posted by beretzs
Congrats on your 6 years of service buddy. I am on my 17th right now.

I will be in OR this Fall, but in the Western part of the state. Good luck. Welcome back.

Thanks for your service as well Marine. Good luck on an animal yourself!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/16/13
Thank you. I hope you have a great elk season. Nothing like being in elk country..
Posted By: Load Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/17/13
Chaser82 - I wanted to reply being a fellow Oregonian. I can't be of much help as I've never hunted the coast range. If I knew of any spots at all I would point you that way. Lots of deer but there's also a lot of wet brush to stomp through.
I would be interested to see what other folks suggest since I didn't draw on the East side for deer this year.
Posted By: Load Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/18/13
This might also come in handy. http://www.oregonhuntingmap.com/
Map showing hunting units, land ownership, etc. Good luck.
Posted By: Chaser82 Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/19/13
Originally Posted by Load
This might also come in handy. http://www.oregonhuntingmap.com/
Map showing hunting units, land ownership, etc. Good luck.

Ya I've been on there mapping out some spots a lot lately. Also, ifish has been a big help being full of great Oregonians.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/21/13
Starting the process for our yearly cougar camp in the fort rock silver lake area. 2nd thru 3rd weekend of February 2014. Open camp. PS: check out Bing maps then go to Birds eye view
Posted By: Chaser82 Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/21/13
Originally Posted by baltz526
Starting the process for our yearly cougar camp in the fort rock silver lake area. 2nd thru 3rd weekend of February 2014. Open camp. PS: check out Bing maps then go to Birds eye view

Maybe I should grab a cougar tag! Haha
Posted By: baltz526 Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/22/13
Defiantly buy one for 2014 They are cheap so worth the $ for this year in my opinion. Even if you only hunt a few days.
Posted By: Chaser82 Re: Oregon hunters... - 09/22/13
True.. Will do! Never know I may stumble on a cat.
© 24hourcampfire