Home
Going Oct. 16-25th....last time we were here this season, we had bulls occasionally bugle on their own. It seemed like they would do it more if the weather changed or in the early evenings. Thought it might be beneficial to try and locate with a bugle and to keep one bugling if he fires off so we could slip in on him. Thoughts? Has anyone had success with a bugle call this late in the season on public land?
I personally wouldn't use a bugle that late but I have had success using a cow call for 2nd season. Just my opinion and I'll be the first to admit I'm terrible at bugling
I think you'd have an orange mob following you
8 miles in...have never seen another hunter
Probably be alright then
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
8 miles in...have never seen another hunter

Have you bugled?
I've used a cow call in CO 2nd rifle season with no success. I'm trying my Bugling Bull Game Call this year. I don't know that the results will be different but, I have to try. We're going by horseback around 6 miles in to a drop camp in the West Elk Wilderness area.
In 2nd season I think public land bulls are allergic to bugles.
A young one might come up in hopes to steal a cow but a mature one will stay as far as he can. JMHO.

I agree with the others who have posted responses. By the second rifle season it's too late for a bugle call but a cow call can be useful if you don't over do it.

KC

By second season they've been bugled, poked, and smoked for Archery, Muzzle loader, and first rifle season. Keep your cow call out, but don't expect any results out of a bugle.
Thanks guys...pretty much what I thought also.
Originally Posted by Biggs300
I've used a cow call in CO 2nd rifle season with no success. I'm trying my Bugling Bull Game Call this year. I don't know that the results will be different but, I have to try. We're going by horseback around 6 miles in to a drop camp in the West Elk Wilderness area.

Biggs300:

Go ahead and use your bugle call a lot. I have an idea of where you will be and I'll be a few miles away. Your bugle call will chase them in my direction.

KC

© 24hourcampfire