Home
Posted By: JRK Oregon East Murderers Creek Unit - 03/01/14
Anyone ever hunt this unit? Thoughts? I have done well on the West side, only have hiked the East.
E. Murderers Creek to me screams the Strawberry Wilderness and getting away from the crowds and roads. I've had success on the south side of the range.
I imagine I would hunt the wilderness. Small wilderness area though, hope you really can escape the crowds...
I imagine I would hunt the wilderness. Small wilderness area though

I have not, but a few friends have. Given it's size, they were amazed at how many folks they encountered. Most have not done repeat hunts.
Originally Posted by 1minute

I have not, but a few friends have. Given it's size, they were amazed at how many folks they encountered. Most have not done repeat hunts.

Very true...stay near the trails and you'd wonder if you were actually in a wilderness. Hard to get away from anybody in E. Murderers given the Forrest Circus roads on the Malheur NF.
Too many people.
Originally Posted by 1minute

Yup, its a nice "little" easy to access wilderness, great place for a fine hike, hunting maybe not so much.
It does get crowded. Even for bow season. Been a lot of animosity and conflicts lately. People rolling boulders into trucks and such. Stupid, childish, and real redneck activities. All over a couple herds of elk. Reminds me of salmon season on the river.
wow...you guys arent painting such a good picture. curious- thoughts on west side? I heard bad things but had a great hunt. not just because i got a nice bull but also bcuz while there were rigs everywhere, i saw nobody while doing moderate 6-8 mile loops on foot- the actual hunting was "quality" in that way. on the east side i have hiked through the strawberry wilderness, beautiful spot, thought a few valleys and holes looked good...any better than an otc hunt?
© 24hourcampfire