Home
Friend of mine wants me to go on a guided elk hunt in Wyoming. I do not own a bolt rifle in an elk capable round. I do however have a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. Am I gonna look out of place out west with a pump gun?
As long as you hit what you are shooting at----they won't care.
Originally Posted by colorado bob
As long as you hit what you are shooting at----they won't care.

Probly not for the rifle but just so's ya don't feel left out, we'll make fun of ya just for the Merry old Hell of it grin
Nope. If your friend or your guide make fun of you, just get some payback and knock down a good one. He who laughs last......
It's not what you shoot but how well you shoot what you have. When I was young and starting out I was using an automatic 30/06 and wore a ski jacket and bibs. It's what I had and could afford. Very colorful and funny looking. But...I got results and they only laughed one. Have a great time and enjoy your hunt.
Only if you have "see-thru" scope mounts. grin
Originally Posted by smokepole
Nope. If your friend or your guide make fun of you, just get some payback and knock down a good one. He who laughs last......

+1. I also think it would be cool if a guy showed up in camp with a rem pump 35 whelen. Gives you more to talk about too when you can pass the guns around. The more different ones usually get more attention..
I've always wanted a .35 Whelen for elk hunting.
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
Friend of mine wants me to go on a guided elk hunt in Wyoming. I do not own a bolt rifle in an elk capable round. I do however have a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. Am I gonna look out of place out west with a pump gun?

The elk-killing-est SOB I ever met in my life did most of his damage with Remington pump .270. Anyone that laughs is a fool.

Tom
For gawds sakes, just as long as it's not a 270..
I don't think elk laugh. They chuckle but not laugh

Seriously, a perfect opportunity to buy a new rifle.. Make sure you ask us for a recommendation.
Originally Posted by laker

I've had them laugh at me. Sounded like a bark, but I know it was laughter.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

I always thought that was a [bleep] off but you could be right
I've been very successful w/a rebored Rem. 760 that was a 270 & is now a 35 Whelen. Go forth & shoot elk!!!
Cheers
Showing up in camp with a .35 Whelen will make you look like an elk hunter with experience. Having a pump with a scope mounted firmly to the reciever while the barrel flops around,... that will get you made fun of.

I actually like the pumps fine but only because my father has one. It's the only one I've used and it's been fine. My Grandfather also had one though, and one year my Dad was complaining on the phone that he couldn't get it zero'd for nothing. I mentioned the scope being mounted on the reciever and the barrel fit and he took it to a gunsmith for a look. The barrel had indeed come loose. I'm not sure what was done to fix it, but he killed a nice 4x4 that following year. It turned out to be his last.
A pump rifle in .35 Whelen is ok, but don't show up with a RUM or these guys will hammer you. mtmuley
Get after it. Who cares but you. I don't even care of they do laugh... shoot straight and have fun.

No one ever laughed, to my face, when we'd meet others in Alaska, us hunting moose, and with only a 94 in 30-30. But it was AI'd!! LOL

Be made fun of here on the Fire...??

How could you come up with such an idea??

DF
Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen

I'm a fan
I still kick myself in the azz for not buying a 7600 that was re-bored (by JESS) to a 9.3x62mm cry.. A 35 whelen just sounds classy..
9.3x62 ina Pump gun...that'd be way cool in the Piggy woods around here...instead of chopping them up with the big magazine TactiKool shooters all the New Kids are getting sweaty palms over.
Ron
I very distinctly remember only one guy in one of my hunting camps with a pump rifle. He got made fun of for missing a deer 5 times, not because he was shooting a Remington pump.

Only if the others in camp are idiots. But practice with it plenty before you go to give the round and gun its due respect....
I am ignorant to the rifle and the caliber. What does it weigh? If it weighs more than 7.5 pounds, I would get a lighter rifle......for backup! Just braying!
Gayest thread ever.

Don't make fun of me, I'm sensitive.

Why waste energy worrying about what others may think? The .35 Whelen is a fine elk cartridge. As long as the rifle is reliable and you shoot it well there us no reason not to take it.

On the other hand, this is an excellent opportunity to justify a new rifle. Just be aware that a new rifle likely won't make any difference as to your success or failure to harvest an elk.
Save your money and go knock one over with what you have!
The only possible drawback would be on log shots, over 300-350 yards.

The fact is, way more elk are killed at under 200 yards that over 300 yards.
You jump a good bull in timber, that big bore pump gun will serve you well.
Guides don't care what you bring on a hunt as long as you can shoot it well and safely. I have had a few guys from the east bring 760 pumps elk hunting and they worked fine. Two things to remember with a pump. Pumps don't fit in a sabbard very well and may be tight coming out, so do some practicing taking gun out of the sabbard. Also, guns ride in the sabbard with an empty cahamber. So make sure that the action is cocked and locked on an empty chamber before putting in the sabbard, so you don't work the slide going in and have a shell in the chamber coming out. Another thing is when your guide tells you to put a shell in, don't try to work the slide quietly. If you do and the action doesn't lock up, there will be no bang when the trigger is pulled. Good luck and practice with whatever gun you tke. Daryl.
The 760/7600 has a good rep for accuracy, in some cases about as good as a bolt gun.

In areas where semi-auto hunting rifles are banned, like Australia, the Rem Pump is sometimes referred to as the Aussie Machine Gun.

It's fast and accurate, hard combo to beat for a hunting rifle, especially where fast repeat shots are needed.

I don't have one, but do respect them.

DF
Shoot your elk dead with one shot, hard to argue with that. If they do give you crap about it just say you don't need it for killing your game but to clean up after the turds you hunt with. MM
Good answer, MM. I like that.

And, the "cool" factor of the .35 Whelen should offset negative vibes/comments about the 7600.

And, it IS hard to argue with success... cool

DF
Embarrassed about a pump? It would be a lot more embarrassing to use a high dollar custom rifle that you can't hit your own foot with. If you can shoot a good bullet accurately, there's nothing to be embarrassed about.
Props to you for spending your cash on experiences instead of yet another dust-collecting rifle ... the guides will probably find it refreshing. Kill your elk and leave a good tip and you'll probably be on their 'best client' list forever. Hope you have a great hunt!
Tell them after you kill your's with one shot you MAY let them borrow it. (but of course you never will. smile )
I've killed more elk with a .35 whelen than any other cartridge. About perfect for elk hunting IMHO. My dad and all his buddies did all their hunting including lots of moose and some elk with Remingon pumps and semi-autos. All of that crew shot 30-06's. So I know from personal observation that your Remington pump 35W will do the job.
The only reservations I would personally have is as previously mentioned they must be pumped with authority when loading a round. That lack of quiet loading may be or may not be an issue in spot and stalk hunting with a guide and the usual empty chamber.
And the triggers are mushy and heavy on most Remington pumps, which a good smith can rectify.
That's it for flaws. they are accurate and deadly.
Have a good hunt!
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Embarrassed about a pump? It would be a lot more embarrassing to use a high dollar custom rifle that you can't hit your own foot with. If you can shoot a good bullet accurately, there's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Absolutely. You would be subject to a lot more scrutiny by showing up with an expensive custom rig. That 7600 is a great choice for certain terrain and situations.
Those doggone Remington pumps are often very accurate, and if it's the rifle you often hunt with, you'll be accurate with it too.

Besides it's a Whelen... Bring it!

Guy
I remember as an older kid at elk scouting camp one year...one of the guys brought his new Browning 1885 to show off. Got to talkin' obnoxious, going on about how accurate his rifle was, and at some point made a comment about my old man's "piece of ch!t ruger 77". Guy kept going on, and offered to shoot groups at 100 yards, the winner to keep both rifles.

Potentially stupid mistake. The old man cloverleafed 130gr nosler partitions out of that old beat up 77 with the 4x leup. After some fuss, and others in the group holding the loudmouth accountable, he gave up the 1885.

The old man made him sweat it out over the weekend, but ended up giving it back.

One of my old man's sayings..."beware the man with one rifle...he probably knows how to shoot it". The old man could make that worn old "piece of ch!t ruger" sing.

Another story the old man used to tell... when he was a kid he was sitting with a group of hunters and an old indian guide "Jim" around the campfire. As it often does, talk went to the "best" caliber and rifles. At some point someone asked old Jim, "Jim, you've hunted and guided your whole life, what do you think?" Jim replied simply with a look and "any gun good, shoot'em good."

Being able to actually shoot your rifle will quiet even the biggest loudmouth.
The fix for a 760/7600 trigger is the Timney trigger kit for the 870 Rem. pump. The trigger groups are the same and you can do it yourself. I have done that exact same upgrade to 2 870's and a 760.
Things that you are more likely to be made fun of for:

Loud mouthed braggart
Out of shape
Can't handle your rifle without all kinds of gymnastics, loading, chambering, etc.
Inability to follow your guides instructions
Fumbling with gadgets when you should be shooting
Can't shoot with whatever you show up with

If you can hit a paper plate from field positions out to 250-300 yards in a decent time who cares what kind of rifle it is.

The clients that make me roll my eyes are the ones that show up with a long range rig, tell me how well it shoots, tell me all about their long range exploits and then miss average shots. I think my long range equipped clients have been 100% bad shots.
Originally Posted by Ralphie

If you can hit a paper plate from field positions out to 250-300 yards in a decent time who cares what kind of rifle it is.

Didn't know you were an outfitter/guide.

The paper plate target struck my fancy nearly 20 years ago. I use it for handguns, traditional muzzle loader, and my center fire rifles. If I can hit it consistently, I'm confident to whatever range I've practiced. With handguns, that's generally 50 yards, with average rifles, 300, or a bit more. With my .30-30, 200 will do. With my wonderful .25-06, I'm happy at 400 yds. Most shots though have been 300 yds or less.

Guy
For a long time the ultimate elk rifle was a Winchester Mdl 71 348 Win. Herds of elk fell to that rifle, and I still consider it a great choice for elk.

That Remington pump in 35 Whelen is its equal, easily. I think a fast handling rifle like yours in a hard hitting round that reaches to 350 yards has many advantages as an elk rifle.

500 yard on out sniping might be somes' hot button, but for realistic hunting your just fine with that Whelen. I've often considered one for the hunting around Libby MT. wink
If it shoots well and you wanna upgrade something, maybe you could use a new scope or something. I have seen a bunch of the 7600's shoot just as great as any bolt gun. I love the Whelen a bunch as well and think it is probably one of my best elk rifles.

Good luck, your in for a great hunt if you can keep up with your guide! Post ton's of pictures too! Great to hear of another Whelen shooter.
SLD

My experience has been more 'curiosity' on the part of other hunters or guides. Except for one guide that decided I should use his rifle. I declined so he insisted I shoot my 'pump' on his range 'just to make sure the scope didn't get bumped' which I was happy to do anyway.

He put a little black dot on a piece of cardboard and when I shot he laughed and said "You missed the whole damn cardboard"! So we walked down to the target...all he said was, "Let's go hunt'n" grin It was just an example of a guy putting down a rifle/caliber with which he had no personal experience. BTW...he now owns one!

Go bag a big one--with your Whelen!

WN
Just make sure it's not a 7mm-08 and nobody will make fun of you. smile
This post got me thinking how I looked showing up for my first
Elk hunt, I was 15 it was 1994 we went to Idaho, Paradise I believe. I remember everyone showing off there Weatherby Elk
cannons, I never pulled my 1930 something Winchester out till
after we rode the 26 miles up too the camp, as I remember the only elk killed was with it after a man wounded one in the leg
with a Very expensive and much nicer rifle.

It's not a .270 so you are OK. wink
I've never hunted elk. However, I would not hesitate to take my Remington M760 in 30-06 stuffed with Partitions elk hunting at all. Can't imagine a 35 Whelen being a handicap.
Sounds like an elk slayer to me. bring it! just don't have a cheap tasco or bushnell on it.
If they laugh you should ask if they even know what an 35 whelen is?
This my Remington pump in 35 Whelan. Somebody spent way too much customizing the wood on it and putting new sights on it before I bought it for a not bad price.

I bought it thinking I'd use it for bear but would not hesitate to bring it for elk in the thick stuff.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ROMAC
This my Remington pump in 35 Whelan. Somebody spent way too much customizing the wood on it and putting new sights on it before I bought it for a not bad price.

I bought it thinking I'd use it for bear but would not hesitate to bring it for elk in the thick stuff.

[Linked Image]

Very nice! That is some great wood on that rifle!

Nope. There is usually one in our elk camp either a 30-06 or 270Win.. A recently purchased 35 Whelen in a tang Ruger is delivering fantastic 5 shot groups with 200 gr. Hornady InterLocks. This is what I plan on bringing in 72 days.
I couldn't tell you how many deer and elk my dad has killed with his old 270 pump with regular old Remington 130 gr Core-Lokts.
I was surprised at the number of pumps I saw when I hunted elk in eastern Oregon.

Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Basstards didn't make a vocal sound. Just mooned me.
If they give you too much ribbing you could always "borrow" their rifle bolts one night and then see who's got the better rifle.
A couple of years ago, I brought a 358 Win Ruger bolt (a little brother to your 35 Whelen) on a backpack elk hunt and was politely asked by a hunting buddy why I brought it rather than my 300 Win Mag that I had used in the past. The reason I shared was that the 35 cal is a fine, hard-hitting caliber that is accurate and easy to shoot. Regardless of whether a rifle is a bolt action, pump, or even a single shot if you shoot it well, use it. You can give them a ribbing when you pack your elk into camp.
Originally Posted by roundoak

Where I grew up they were called under /over mounts!!!!!! laugh
I got a pump 30-06 from my father-in-law. The rifle shoots minute-of-angle with 180-grain Sierras and others. The only things that I do not like about the rifle is the fact that it is heavy and a bit noisy when carrying. Especially in close quarters, that 35 should be a great elk gun.

I was going to take the 06 to Newfoundland for moose in 2011, but decided it was a good reason to buy a new Remington SPS 7 mag. grin My son in Wisconsin now has the pump and is tickled with it.
Unless you're worried about killing them too dead, take it. If that's a concern, I'll cheerfully take it off your hands and you can get a lesser rifle. Enjoy!
Show up with a rock, a spear, a pump action, lever action, single shot... anything� just not a 7mm-08, they bounce off of bunny rabbits� better take a pellet rifle.
In our camp everyone brings a bolt. You might not be made fun of, but you might be considered as "odd".
I kinda got a deal on the Fire for a Ruger 77 RS in 338 winny. Guess I am going with that I would of taken the whelen cept this deal came up
Originally Posted by roundoak

And a bubba buddy!...

If they make fun of you, drink a bunch of whiskey, act drunk, then point the pump at them. Call the runners chickens. wink
My rem model six pump 06 that my gave me he traded a puppy for it. It has killed elk at 407 yards and the deer in my SIG at 466 shooting 180 nosler ballistic tips. I think you'll do just fine. I can work a pump a lot faster than my bolts too, not that I've need a follow up shot.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
T
In areas where semi-auto hunting rifles are banned, like Australia, the Rem Pump is sometimes referred to as the Aussie Machine Gun.
DF

Also known as "Amish machine guns" in PA where semi-autos are verboten.
Yep that is a killer, my elk guide/hunt partner shoots a 760 trombone 308 re-bored out to 358 Winchester 350 yrd elk killer indeed.
Sounds like a good choice ---- as long as the slide assembly makes NO noise when you are carrying it.
I wasn't. grin
My grandpa used the same in 30-06 and by all accounts killed the hell out of elk in his day.
OP, no! You limp wristed sucker.
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
I wasn't. grin

Looks like it worked. whistle
[Linked Image]

I kinda got a deal on the Fire for a Ruger 77 RS in 338 winny. Guess I am going with that I would of taken the whelen cept this deal came up

Guess if I was swapping calibers the Winny would be a good choice although the slider 35-06 woulda been just fine with me too. I have owned 2 Remington 7600's in 30-06 and wonder why I ever let them go. The 2nd was a grey laminate job from Grices, super sharp rifle, would shoot 3/4" or better all day long.
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
I wasn't. grin

Looks like it worked. whistle
[Linked Image]

Must have died from embarrassment. No bolt, synthetic stock, or stainless barrel and no turrets on the scope.
I was next to him when he shot - I had the bolt, synthetic stock, stainless barrel and turrets on the scope. laugh
Originally Posted by SKane
I was next to him when he shot - I had the bolt, synthetic stock, stainless barrel and turrets on the scope. laugh

AAAHHHH backup. Good plan. grin
Originally Posted by smokepole
He who laughs last......

thinks slowest
Why give a rat's hairy azz what other people think? If you can hit with that rifle, Go kill elk and have fun.
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2
Why give a rat's hairy azz what other people think? If you can hit with that rifle, Go kill elk and have fun.

This is an old thread. I'm hoping he smoked an elk with that rifle...
The dentist I had in Florida would go to Colorado or whatever western state every year with his friends packing Remington 760's in 30-06 year in year out.
© 24hourcampfire