Home
Was fortunate enough to take this bull on Friday.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A great day for me. My first Utah bull, and by far my biggest bull (he's only my second). First animal taken using my own handloads. Lasered at 416 yards, and it was the only shot I was going to get. Caught the back of both lungs and stopped inside the hide on the far shoulder.
Nice work. What did you tip him over with?
Uh, yeah..I'd be happy as a puppy with two peters. Sincere congrats on a super nice bull! You did great and I'm proud for ya.
Damn nice bull! Congratulations! Really feels good to collect one with your own home-rolled ammo...
Thanks guys. Laker - I used my 300 WSM, with a 180gr NPPT.
Really like the tops on that bull...Congrats.
You just killed rackasaurus!

Congrats on a beauty!
Awesome!! What mass!!!! thats a great bull!!! Not that I really care but anyone have an idea on the score?
Wow 7x8. Monster.
"Couldn't be happier with my bull......."

No doubt! Of course you don't have to say a thing. The GRIN says it all.

CONGRATS.

Awesome bull! Congratulations! Are you calling it 7x7 or 8x7.
Hellz yeah!!!! Congrats!
oofa! nice bull.

the only way to improve on a bull like that is with mashed potatoes on the side. smile
Gorgeous rack, congrats!
Very nice bull, and unusual tops. Very unique. Congratulations on your accomplishment and thanks for taking the time to share it here with us!
Awesome bull, congrats!! Only way to be happier is if his ivories were gold! Good going.
I'd be smiling with one like that on the ground as well. Congrats, that's a heck of a bull!!
Very cool Kurt!
Nice bull, congrats

USMC2602:

Congratulations brother. Semper Fi.

KC

Tell us about the hunt, nice bull!
Thanks for all the nice comments, still can't wipe the smile off my face.

SuburbanHunter - 7 x 8. Apparition - one of the other guys in camp scored him at 305, can't really say how accurate that is. To be honest, I really didn't care if it was 200 or 500. I just know it's the bull of a lifetime for me.

Fireball2 - we were hunting near the Book Cliffs. Had seen a few rag horns and some smaller 5 x 5's with cows. Tried for a nice 5 x 5 earlier, but he disappeared into some pines and I didn't see him again until he came out at the top of the canyon and was over the top before I could even react. Shot was likely too far for me anyway.

It was around 10:00 and everything had gotten quiet, figured it was over for the morning. Was about 200 yards from the bottom of another canyon, and was actually just standing there putting in a dip when this one kind of "chuckled" down in the bottom and to my right. I just stood there and glassed. After about another 15 minutes, I saw 4 cows running in the bottom headed left. Next thing I knew, there were 12-14 cows boiling out of the trees at the bottom and headed straight up the other side, directly across from me, quickly followed by this bull. Didn't really know his size, just that he was mature and definitely the herd bull.

I ran over and down about 30 yards to a clear spot, set up my sticks, and found him in the scope. The cows were almost to the top and he was about half way. I turned my scope up to 10x, and just guessing distance spun my turret to 350. When I got him in the scope again, he was about 20 yards from the top, and he stopped, kind of quartering away and looked back into the canyon to my right. I knew he was about gone, so I just put the crosshairs high on the back of his ribs and squeezed. Looked like he kind of humped up and mule kicked to me. He walked to the top and behind a bush/tree, while I tried to get him in the scope to shoot again. About the time he came out from behind the tree, he kind of spun in a circle and was down!

I know how lucky that shot was, probably good it happened so fast and I really didn't have time to think much. By far the longest shot I've ever made. All in all, an experience I'll never forget.

Kurt
Kurt, that's a fantastic hunt! Good shooting too!!
SCORE!
Outstanding.
Nice Bull Congrats
Very Nice!!!!
Congratulations...that's a very nice elk.
Nice bull.
Very nice! Well done!
Wow man that is one heckofa 10th bull, much less second! Brilliant! Thanks for the story too what an exciting hunt!

I am like you... Can do superman stuff when it happens fast and I don't have time to (over) think.

Great work, congrats, and thanks for sharing pics/story!
Real unique looking bull!! A big congrats to you!!

Eric
Congratulations that is a monster!

Mike
Very nice! I would be happy and smiling, too. Congratulations!
USMC2602,

Congratulations!

That's a beautiful bull. He'll go way above 305.

Utah has the biggest bulls in the nation. Getting a tag is the hard part.
Congratulations!!!
Tks for adding the story, it sure adds to the photo. A great bull for sure, definitely one to be proud of CONGRATS!
Hey Congrats! That's a lot of character in that rack and a beautiful healthy animal!

Congratulations! smile
There will be memories on the wall for a long time. Congrats on a monster.
Id be happy too! Thats one hell of a bull!
Funky looking bull- you should be proud.

Congrats!
Nice job Kurt! Well done and a fantastic bull!
Nice!
That is a great bull Kurt. No doubt. Good job.
What a bull Kurt!!! Just the chance to hunt bulls like that is a dream come true but to close the deal with that guy is as good as it gets in my book.

Congrats!!
CONGRATULATIONS!
Awesome bull!
Awesome bull.

But what's that on your hat?
Thanks again for all the kind words. I found the bullet in the pocket of my jacket when I was unpacking my schitt. I'll get a picture and post it later.

Cheesy - I wondered if any KS guys would notice that. By the way, nice win for your boys yesterday.......we're all enjoying this Royals season and knowing basketball isn't too far away.....
nice bull,great hat rack!
Nice bull and congratulations on taking your first with your own handloads.
180gr Nosler Partition Protected Point

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice bull! I was going to guess 300ish on the score, so I'd bet the guy that tapped it out in camp is pretty close.
Congratulations on a great bull! That thing is a monster. Thanks for sharing the story too - I always enjoy hearing the details of the hunt.

Jeff
Congrats, that is an excellent bull!

Semper Fi

That's a dandy bull - kudos!
Congrats on a fine bull!
USMC,

How many years did it take to draw to the Book Cliffs area? Was it the "roadless" area?

A buddy and I are at 13 and 14 years, thinking we are getting close.

A very nice bull you got there!
muleshoe,

I bought a CWMU permit in a unit near the Book Cliffs (Minnie Maud).
USMC2602 -

Are you going to wait for it to grow up next time? wink

Congrats on a very, very nice bull.
Very nice! Would love to get one of those someday!
Great bull!

Semper Fi Brother!
© 24hourcampfire