Home
Posted By: boomwack 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 09/30/14
Brother left with me a 325 wsm with dies, bullets and some RL19. It is a model 16 stainless savage w/ nikon 3x9 prostaff for glass. He knew I would be fiddle'n with it sooner or later.

I ended up at 68 gr. of RL 19 and a CCI 250 cap under a 200 gr. accubond for 2900 fps and groups the same size as the precision $3000.00 long range rifles built just south of my home and I have had the privilege to shoot on occasion. Brother may have issues getting his 325 back now....

I love the 338 win mag, but this 325 runt shoots just as good and with less recoil, and a bullet very close to the same diameter.

So, its inevitable It will go with me this october a time or three for elk, brother be damned..... How will this 8mm runt magnum cartridge perform on elk? I am very anxious to find out grin
I am loving the round so far. I've shot one big old cow elk the F&G estimated at 640lbs, and it rolled her in full run. The 200gr AccuBonds at 2,900 are just right in my Kimber MT.

I used factory Winchester 180 Combined Tec on two deer. The gun/round is a thumper that doesn't whack back nearly as bad as the 338 I got rid of after using it 12 years. I'll not be going back to it, either.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Years ago I bought a 300 WSM. Within a few weeks, they announced the 325. I've often wished I'd waited a while. I sure can't complain about the 300 but I'd love to have the 325 just for the fun of it. I've never heard anything bad about it...except from 338 owners.
Posted By: 79S Re: 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 09/30/14
I killed couple of moose and caribou with mine...
.325 wsm makes impressive holes in things! I'm still contemplating buying one. I haven't seen much brass around for it which makes me cautious to purchase? Other than that I can't see a downside to an all around caliber like it that wouldn't take all of N.A. game at typical hunting ranges.
I've read that 325 brass has been discontinued by Winchester.

However, there's a lot of 300 WSM brass out there and it can be easily resized to 325. Just use a tapered expander ball and full length resize it. Be sure to thoroughly lube the inside of the neck.
The only difference between the 300 and 325 cases is the neck diameter. You're only increasing it by .015" which is very little. It's less than expanding the 30-06 to 338-06 which commonly done.
Posted By: JGray Re: 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 09/30/14
A co-worker and his Dad both use the 325 and have been very impressed on several elk and one bear (that I know of). I haven't shot anything with mine yet, but hopefully I'll get the chance to find out this year...
Posted By: T_O_M Re: 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 09/30/14
A friend of mine killed 2 elk with one a couple years ago, one here in Oregon, one on an out of state hunt in Colorado. Worked. If it had not been discontinued by Kimber I'd own one now.
Posted By: JGray Re: 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 09/30/14
Originally Posted by T_O_M
If it had not been discontinued by Kimber I'd own one now.

Dang - I guess that means my Kimber Classic is now a "collector's item". And here I was giving serious thought to building a 6.5 SAUM on it - gonna have to think on that some more grin
Thanks for the input fellas grin

That is a phat ol' cow there luv2safari cool The 8mm 200 grain accubond is a substantial bullet. The short/fat case kinda hides the bullets size and length. I would have NO qualms of steering it into heavy bone or hard angles on elk, moose or bear.

As far as brass goes, I do manage to spy a bag or two in different stores... Definitely not as common as the 300 wsm but they are out there.

The round is intended for larger game Just Like the .338 win mag was. It was not as popular as it is today for years after being put on the market, Took time for it to be discovered for what it is I guess. Unfortunately, 8mm calibers seem to meet a different fate state side.

I have been kick'n myself ever since selling my 338 win. Maybe this semi-new cartridge/rifle will fill the void... and create one in my brothers arsenal.... grin

Posted By: 79S Re: 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 10/01/14
I use imr 4007 and 200gr Speer. First load I put together and it shot real well so I never tried anything else.
Rockchuck, good to know! That helps make the decision even easier.

Unfortunately the "metric" rounds other than the 7mm seem to never do well in the U.S.?
I watched a friend shoot a LARGE cow elk last year about 274 yards. He used a handload of h4350 and 200 gr Nosler partition. Through my glasses I saw the bullet hit just behind the shoulder.It was raining and I saw a big puff of water (Hair?)and the cow was down. The bullet exited and the lungs were mush. The rifle was a A bolt. Overall pretty effective.

lefty C
Posted By: JMR40 Re: 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 10/02/14
I'm sure a 325 WSM works fine. I just cannot think of a single reason I'd choose one over the 300 WSM. Both shoot the same bullet weights to the same speeds. The .015" larger bullet diameter is irrelevant, but the better BC .308 bullets shoot flatter and deliver more energy.

At even 100 yards the 325 starts losing ground fast to the 300 WSM with equal bullet weights. A 200 gr .308 Accubond (.588 BC) @ 2900 fps from a 300 WSM, beats a 200 GR .325 Accubond (.450 BC) @ 2900 fps from the 325 WSM.

They have equal energy at the muzzle, but at 300 yards the 300 WSM is almost 150 fps faster with almost 300 ft lbs more energy. And it shoots a bit flatter.

The difference isn't earth shattering, but I just don't see a point in using the 325 WSM if it offers no advantages while the 300WSM is so common.
The only 200 gr bullet I've shot in my 300 WSM is a Partition but I've read that some guns have short mags that give length problems with 200 and heavier bullets. That gives the 325 the edge if you want to go heavier. I see no need for that much weight for anything in North America with the possible exception of brown bear.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The only 200 gr bullet I've shot in my 300 WSM is a Partition but I've read that some guns have short mags that give length problems with 200 and heavier bullets. That gives the 325 the edge if you want to go heavier. I see no need for that much weight for anything in North America with the possible exception of brown bear.

I built a load for a buddy's Savage .300 using IMR7828ssc and the 200 Partition. It shoots sub-minute at about 2850. Use the Nosler OAL recommendations and it will fit. The bullet looks deep, but shoots great.
Has anybody ran any of the 220's from the 325? Seems like that is where it really starts to compete with the 338 some.

Just asking, as I have always wanted a 325, just never took the plunge.
Originally Posted by sbhooper

I built a load for a buddy's Savage .300 using IMR7828ssc and the 200 Partition. It shoots sub-minute at about 2850. Use the Nosler OAL recommendations and it will fit. The bullet looks deep, but shoots great.
My 300 will shoot 180 gr Accubonds great, very accurate. With 200's, though, it sucks. The groups double in size from the 180. For heavier AB's, the 325 should be much more accurate.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Has anybody ran any of the 220's from the 325? Seems like that is where it really starts to compete with the 338 some.

Just asking, as I have always wanted a 325, just never took the plunge.

I have not shot 220's threw the 325. Brother has a few factory power points that came with the rifle though. With that bullet it is very close to the 338 with FACTORY 225 loads...

A buddy who did have a kimber 325 for a short bit divorce, bills, bla-bla liked them for the almost two hunting seasons he had the kimber. A sheep, deer and bear one shot apiece complete with exit.
I have heard great things about the Power Point in the Winchester ammo for the 325 as well.

I had a 300WSM, I think I'd do a 325 next time. No real reason, though, just cause.. I like the odd ducks and the 325 is surely one of them.
Hopefully the Winchester brass is just a seasonal run issue. I see where Nosler is producing brass and it is available in places. I think the 325WSM is a great 8mm round.

I am not an elk hunter, and have not shot anything with mine. I have carried it a few times moose hunting, but the moose did not cooperate. Mine is a Kimber Montana.

I have a couple of buddies that have whacked moose or two with the factory 200 Accubond and they are sold on it. I prefer the 200TSX.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I've read that 325 brass has been discontinued by Winchester.

However, there's a lot of 300 WSM brass out there and it can be easily resized to 325. Just use a tapered expander ball and full length resize it. Be sure to thoroughly lube the inside of the neck.
The only difference between the 300 and 325 cases is the neck diameter. You're only increasing it by .015" which is very little. It's less than expanding the 30-06 to 338-06 which commonly done.
Winchester's web site still lists it but that's not saying their site is current.
WINCHESTER CASES

I use the 200gr accubond and it has put down two elk no prob. Shots were at 160 and 320. It has also done a fine job on antelope and a few deer.

Very little recoil and easy to carry in the ported Kimber Montana. It is the largest caliber gun I'll ever need on this continent smile
beretz,

In Africa in 2007, one of my hunting partners brought a .325 and a bunch of the 220 Power Point factory loads. After a few days the PH told him to quit using it, and stick to the .375 H&H he brought for Cape buffalo instead, even on plains game. The 220 retained weight fine, but opened so widely it didn't penetrate very deeply on heavier animals like zebra.
Used to load 220 Swift A-Frames for a buddy in his .325. I think he killed two elk with that load, no complaints. Also killed about 10 antelope with his .325 because it shot so well.
200 gn accubond did the job for me on a big cow 365 yards
My Kimber shines with the 200 grain Accubond lit with RS Big Game and a WLRM primer. Only had the opportunity on one elk so far. 330 yards, single shot, two steps and falling over. Huge amounts of blood pooled up on the ground around her soaking through the quickly accumulating snow. First elk with my Montana, and hopefully many more to come.
Mine won't shoot 200 Accubonds at all. Handles the 200 TSX very well though.

RL17 works well but I switched to 4007 or H414 because I can actually buy these powders.
Posted By: JGray Re: 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 01/04/15
My Kimber doesn't shoot 200 Accubonds very well either, however every flat base bullet I've tried so far shoots great with H4350. A pard and his Dad shoot A-bolts and love the Accubond in their 325's...
Rifles are funny aren't they? Mine shoots those Accubonds so well. I have also seen good results with Partitions and recently with the 220 Sierra Game King. Have some H4350, but haven't opened it yet. Still have a few pounds of Big Game and have had good results with RL17 too. Tried imr4007 but saw pressure signs too early, although accuracy was good. Also used imr4350 with good results. Love the rifle and look forward to getting to know how it does even more.
Originally Posted by boomwack
Brother left with me a 325 wsm with dies, bullets and some RL19. It is a model 16 stainless savage w/ nikon 3x9 prostaff for glass. He knew I would be fiddle'n with it sooner or later.

I ended up at 68 gr. of RL 19 and a CCI 250 cap under a 200 gr. accubond for 2900 fps and groups the same size as the precision $3000.00 long range rifles built just south of my home and I have had the privilege to shoot on occasion. Brother may have issues getting his 325 back now....

I love the 338 win mag, but this 325 runt shoots just as good and with less recoil, and a bullet very close to the same diameter.

So, its inevitable It will go with me this october a time or three for elk, brother be damned..... How will this 8mm runt magnum cartridge perform on elk? I am very anxious to find out grin

The 300 WSM knocks the hell outa elk, I don't see why the 325 would be any different. When it first came out, they tried to say it was better than the 338 win mag. Same velocities as the 300 win mag with the same knockdown power as the 338 win mag. Major marketing bs hype, but it is what it is...Short fat and new (2005), make the best of it... grin

This is what Chuck Hawks had to say about the 325 wsm in an article he wrote.

Titled, "The short magnum cartridges":

"In the same class as the .300 short magnums is the .325 WSM. This cartridge came about as the result of a failed attempt to create a .338 WSM. The .325 WSM is intentionally misnamed to make it sound bigger than it is. It actually has a .315" bore diameter and should have been named the .315 WSM. It is an 8mm cartridge and its performance is nearly identical to that of the .300 WSM. The most important difference between this cartridge and the .300 WSM is the relative scarcity of 8mm bullets for reloading. Another drawback is its vicious recoil in the light Browning and Winchester rifles supplied in .325 WSM, recoil comparable to the .338 RCM and in excess of the .350 Rem. Mag.

The .338 RCM is offered factory loaded with 200 and 225 grain bullets, which is fine as far as it goes. It is an excellent elk cartridge. Unfortunately, the long 250 grain bullets that made the .338 Win. Magnum's reputation as a slayer of giant animals takes up too much powder space in the short RCM case to be practical. That leaves the .338 RCM a definite step ahead of the .325 WSM, but clearly infrerior to the .338 Win. Mag."
Posted By: 79S Re: 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 01/04/15
I like my 325 wsm far as recoil it's a pussy cat. My 338 wsm will push a 225gr to 2860 out a 22 1/2 in barrel.

I'm shooting the factory Winchester ammo in 200gr accubond. It groups an inch at 100 yds out of my Kimber 8400. Performance wise they have been great, and the gun is sighted 2" high at 100.

The only thing is the brake on the gun, it is sooo loud when I shoot it in the field. I am considering removal but don't want to fix something that isn't broken. Its just for my ears. The brake was originally for my dad when he shot it because he has spine/shoulder issues. I could really do without it, but will it change my zero?
Originally Posted by 79S
I like my 325 wsm far as recoil it's a pussy cat. My 338 wsm will push a 225gr to 2860 out a 22 1/2 in barrel.

Sounds like an elk stomper to me. Both the 325 and 338 wsm.. What kind of powder do you use to push them that fast? Are you using IMR 4007 in both cartridges? Are you seeing early signs of pressure like what has been mentioned in previous posts?
Originally Posted by hdk182

I'm shooting the factory Winchester ammo in 200gr accubond. It groups an inch at 100 yds out of my Kimber 8400. Performance wise they have been great, and the gun is sighted 2" high at 100.

The only thing is the brake on the gun, it is sooo loud when I shoot it in the field. I am considering removal but don't want to fix something that isn't broken. Its just for my ears. The brake was originally for my dad when he shot it because he has spine/shoulder issues. I could really do without it, but will it change my zero?

If you cut it off, how long will it be when done? You should still be good if you don't go too short. If you go too short, you'll end up with a lot of muzzle blast and almost defeat the purpose. A 22-23" WSM would probably be about perfect, all else considered. Have the barrel professionally crowned and you shouldn't lose any accuracy, however you will lose a little velocity. Depending on how short you go with it..
Posted By: 79S Re: 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 01/04/15
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

Sounds like an elk stomper to me. Both the 325 and 338 wsm.. What kind of powder do you use to push them that fast? Are you using IMR 4007 in both cartridges? Are you seeing early signs of pressure like what has been mentioned in previous posts?

I use a book load of 4007 in the 325 wsm and rl 17 in the 338 wsm. I was getting pressure signs in the 338 wsm on the high end hard extraction etc.. Backed off and settled for what I got now.. I bet I could get the .338 200gr accubonds screaming out of it.
Well, elk season slipped by with not seeing one legal animal in Idaho to kill... no matter the caliber of rifle I carried. Thats the reality of elk hunting grin

When Winchester brought out the 'short fats', I wondered how they would catch on. Remington wasted no time with there "short fats" and they seem to fall to the way side first and fast.

This 325 wsm I like. Its just a little more than the 30 cal, but not quite a 338 my favored elk caliber. The rifle is light to carry, recoil very manageable and bullets that have good diameter and weight for any animal in the north American continent, but seems to be looked over. I wonder were it will be in cartridge sales in the next few years
boomwack, I think the wsm's will be around for a looooooong time. They are extremely accurate and efficient as long as you don't overload them with too heavy of a bullet. The 300 is king of the WSM's as far as popularity goes, but I don't see the 325 going anywhere too soon. You have seen what's happened to the good ol 8mm mauser and 8mm rem mag though. More of a European market and one the American public may overlook at times...

If you cut it off, how long will it be when done? You should still be good if you don't go too short. If you go too short, you'll end up with a lot of muzzle blast and almost defeat the purpose. A 22-23" WSM would probably be about perfect, all else considered. Have the barrel professionally crowned and you shouldn't lose any accuracy, however you will lose a little velocity. Depending on how short you go with it..

Thanks for the input. Ill think it over...losing what I already have going would stink, it is a very good setup. Maybe Ill carry earplugs instead smile
Originally Posted by hdk182

Thanks for the input. Ill think it over...losing what I already have going would stink, it is a very good setup. Maybe Ill carry earplugs instead smile
You might ask around at the gunsmiths. Someone might know of another someone wanting a brake and who is willing to do a barrel swap. The odds aren't good but you never know.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 01/05/15
If someone gave me a 325 WSM I'd load it up and use it. I can't think of a single reason to choose it over a 300 WSM though. The actual difference in bullet diameter is .007". That may not be splitting hairs, but it is about the same difference as the thickness of 2 human hairs.

According to www.nosler.com the best loads with both 325WSM and 300WSM and 200 gr Accubonds gives a 20 fps advantage to the 325. 2944 fps vs 2964 fps. That's about 50 ft lbs more energy at the muzzle. But when you look at BC's of .588 for the 300 vs only .450 for the 325, the 300WSM passes the 325WSM within the first 100 yards and is well ahead at 400 with 2" less bullet drop.

Same bullet weights within 20 fps and powder charges within 1-2 grains is going to give darn near equal recoil. I've never loaded anything heavier than 180's in my 300 WSM, but recoil is quite mild. Just barely more than 30-06 loads with 180's.

Both will kill deer or elk, the 325 just offers no advantages, and some disadvantages. But if someone gave me one, why not use it.
.323 - .308 = .007 ?

Must be that new math...
Posted By: JGray Re: 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 01/05/15
This is what Chuck Hawks had to say about the 325 wsm in an article he wrote.

"In the same class as the .300 short magnums is the .325 WSM. This cartridge came about as the result of a failed attempt to create a .338 WSM. The .325 WSM is intentionally misnamed to make it sound bigger than it is. It actually has a .315" bore diameter and should have been named the .315 WSM.

Originally Posted by JMR40
If someone gave me a 325 WSM I'd load it up and use it. I can't think of a single reason to choose it over a 300 WSM though. The actual difference in bullet diameter is .007". That may not be splitting hairs, but it is about the same difference as the thickness of 2 human hairs.

I'll be one of the first to agree that the 325 offers nothing over the 300 WSM - I'd take a 300 over the 325 most any time, except the deal on the 325 was too good (I wanted the scope on it more than I wanted a 325). What I don't follow here is the .315 vs. .308 (.007 difference). I haven't slugged the bore on mine, but it most certainly shoots .323 diameter bullets which is right in the middle between .308 and .338.

To be honest, I've been considering rebarreling this 325 to 6.5 SAUM but that's an entirely different topic grin

edit: I see taz4570 posted while I was typing and is thinking the same thing...
Posted By: 79S Re: 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 01/05/15
boomwack, I think the wsm's will be around for a looooooong time. They are extremely accurate and efficient as long as you don't overload them with too heavy of a bullet. The 300 is king of the WSM's as far as popularity goes, but I don't see the 325 going anywhere too soon. You have seen what's happened to the good ol 8mm mauser and 8mm rem mag though. More of a European market and one the American public may overlook at times...

Winchester has dropped the 325 wsm and will only make seasonal runs on brass and ammo.
Posted By: 79S Re: 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 01/05/15
Originally Posted by JMR40

According to www.nosler.com the best loads with both 325WSM and 300WSM and 200 gr Accubonds gives a 20 fps advantage to the 325. 2944 fps vs 2964 fps. That's about 50 ft lbs more energy at the muzzle. But when you look at BC's of .588 for the 300 vs only .450 for the 325, the 300WSM passes the 325WSM within the first 100 yards and is well ahead at 400 with 2" less bullet drop.

Same bullet weights within 20 fps and powder charges within 1-2 grains is going to give darn near equal recoil. I've never loaded anything heavier than 180's in my 300 WSM, but recoil is quite mild. Just barely more than 30-06 loads with 180's.

Both will kill deer or elk, the 325 just offers no advantages, and some disadvantages. But if someone gave me one, why not use it.

You will be hard pressed to get 2900 anything out of the 300 wsm with a 200gr slug. Trust me I tried best I ever got was 2800.
J gray, I don't follow the ".315" idea either. Just posting what Chuck Hawks had to say about the 325 WSM. As you can see, that part of my post was in quotation marks. I'm thinking Mr. Hawks had a brain fart (as some of us do sometimes). I don't know why it wouldn't be the standard .323", as all other 8mm's are. With the exception of the really old mausers, which were .318". From what I know about the 8mm Mauser, they stopped using .318" bullets in 1905 and switched to the "JS" designation, which is .323". It is also unsafe to shoot a .323" bullet in a .318" bore rifle, so undoubtedly the 325 WSM has the .323" bore...Something Chuck Hawks either mistakenly said, or didn't know at the time of the publication..
Posted By: JGray Re: 325 wsm and elk... anybody?? - 01/05/15
Yep - knew those were his words and he was in error, and you were just quoting him. Didn't think much of it when you posted it, but the subsequent post reiterating the .315 bore and .007 difference from the 300 WSM being equivalent to two hairs had me thinking I might be missing something (or losing my mind smirk ). It's all good...
Ha ha... Yeah, I saw that too. I probably should have made the clarification in my first post. Honestly though, I think if one already had the 325 WSM or someone gave them one I'd keep using it. I know 79s really likes his and for good reasons. I load for the 8mm mauser and have been around the 8mm since I was a little kid, so I guess I'm a little partial to it. For the longest time, my dad's only hunting rifle was a sporterized 8mm mauser and his military VZ24. I always used the 30-06, but there was no dramatic difference between the 2 in their on game performance. Much could probably be said about the 325 WSM...
Originally Posted by 79S

Winchester has dropped the 325 wsm and will only make seasonal runs on brass and ammo.

This cartridge was DOA... smile
I've been using a 300 WSM for close to 15 years now. I've taken a bunch of elk and who knows how many deer with it. I can honestly say that I have yet to shoot one that couldn't have been taken just as easy with a 30-06. I'm considering going back to the '06 this spring just to cut the weight. I'm getting too old to pack that heavy magnum around any more.
I have both the 300wsm and the 325wsm and they are both fine elk rifles. The last three elk (2 raghorns and 1 cow) all fell to one shot from the 325. Prior to that the previous 5 or 6 elk fell to the 300wsm, also all but 1 fell to one shot. The 300 is a Winchester and the 325 is a Browning A-bolt. Both are light weight and both have very manageable recoil. I will keep both rifles and use them both.

Bart
bart: We know it works.But I never thought it would be a commercial success.

First it's too much like the 300 (which you likely know).

Second,it's a medium bore,a very tough market niche for a cartridge to bust into. The world is full of useful mediums that have gone buns up.The average American has little use for one unless he grew up reading Elmer. The only one's with any sales legs have been the 375H&H, 338 Win Mag,340 Weatherby to a lesser extent,the 35 Whelan,and the 375 Ruger.

These do anything in the medium category and adequately fill the demand.

Last, it's an 8mm...which is sort of Europe's 30 caliber. But not here. I would not give any 8mm much chance for widespread popularity here.
The only thing the .325 WSM has going for it is that it's different. And, as the 8mm Remington Mag has already demonstrated, it occupies a very narrow niche.
Because the 325 WSM is different is part of the reason I would want one again, I find most of the 300's boring. Must be a gun nut smile .........
+1 on being different and gun nut

The original post asked how it would perform.
I'm sure it will work great and it's performance would leave nothing to be desired smile
I've been using a 300 WSM for close to 15 years now. I've taken a bunch of elk and who knows how many deer with it. I can honestly say that I have yet to shoot one that couldn't have been taken just as easy with a 30-06. I'm considering going back to the '06 this spring just to cut the weight. I'm getting too old to pack that heavy magnum around any more.

That makes a lot of sense Rock Chuck.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by 79S

This cartridge was DOA... smile

Bob, that kind of sucks too because the 325 has always intrigued me. I almost bought one because I had a slew of 30-06's and to be quite frank, I was bored with the ol 30 cal's. However, I think the 338 win kept me from taking the plunge....
I loved the 7-08 before it was popular and I feel the same about the 325 wsm. I really was more in love with the rifle, more than the cartridge. Because I already had 7mm Rem Mag, I didn't really want a 300 anything. They really were boring to me. I was leaning toward a 338 Win Mag but getting it in a light rifle for hiking the steep and nasty hills of the West, seemed quite difficult. Since then I have learned of more options, but I scored a deal on my 325 and couldn't be happier.

I have a small stock pile of brass and will keep watching for more. One can never have too much right? ;0)

FH
Though, I have not shot anything with the 325WSM, I really like this cartridge. I have a couple of Kimber Montana rifles in it. I like the 200TSX loadings for it. If you are a Swift A-Frame fan, take look at Swift's new reloading book for the 200 and 220 grain. IF the velocities are actually close to what can be achieved in real life, they are impressive. I am not one to be on the new is always better, or the must have the latest offerings; but this is a very good 8mm cartridge. And probably, there is very little that can not be accomplished with an 8mm 200-220gr premium bullet at 2800-2900 fps. And yes, there are lots of cartridges that will do the same, And I am glad there are choices.
If anyone is interested,Big Buck sporting goods in Wexford Pa., ( north of Pgh. ) has 2- 50 piece bags of new Win. 325 WSM brass on the shelf. 724 935-7410
I'm all stocked up, hope this helps.

Ron
A friend of mine bought a Kimber Super America in 325 WSM which he took to Africa. He made 16 1 shot kills in a row on plains game ranging in size from a 40 lb Diker to Eland and Burchells Zebra. Ammo used was factory Win Supreme with 200 grain Nosler Accubonds.

I'd say it would work fine for Elk.
© 24hourcampfire