Home
Posted By: Gledeasy Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Had the opportunity to go out elk hunting yesterday. Utah's spike season had been open for 6 days, but this was opening morning for myself. The night before I drove to the hunting grounds and slept in the truck.

As morning hit I made my way to a lookout point. Elk were bugling periodically as I noticed an elk walking on a distant ridge. I quickly headed over and was pleased to see it was a spike.

I didn't have a rangefinder, but guessed it to be around 400 yards. Not knowing exact yards and not able to get a good rest I elected to pass for the moment. The elk walked in the trees and I began to wait hoping they would hit another clearing closer to me. After a few wheelers pulled in below me I decided to go in the trees.

I could smell elk and not long after I heard some trees break to my left. As I looked a spike was walking towards me at 10 yards. He turned and angled in front of me. I barely had time to put in my ear protection and crank my scope to low power (which I had forgot to do earlier) when he hit a small opening 15 yards in front of me. One shot and a few steps later he was down.

[Linked Image]

Field dressing and packing out an elk by yourself is a lot of work. Luckily I'll have these two little ones to help me in the years to come. They are elk lovers.

[Linked Image]

And the view looking back up the mountain after everything was loaded back in the truck.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DLSguide Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Good job hunting and not just shooting. The look on your boys faces is priceless. They are going to be hunters for sure.
Posted By: castnblast Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Good call on passing up the first "shot opportunity " and congratulations on your hunting skills. Refreshing.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Sweet hunt. It doesn't get any better than when the boys can go.
Posted By: daddie63 Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Congrats Gledeasy. Nice work and beautiful country your future elk hunters have to roam in.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Way to go! Great hunt!
Posted By: krp Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
I like it! most the places I hunt you have to get in after'm or get nothing.

Kent
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Nice! Looks like you are in for a lot of years of fun with good hunting partners in the years ahead.
Posted By: davidlea Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Great story and photos! I hope to see the posts when your two young assistants start getting it done. Good on you!
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Cool picture.., looks like ya got some future hunting pards
Congratulations on a good hunt. Well done.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Utah's antler point rules must be different than Idaho's. Here, that extra point on the right side makes it illegal for a spike hunt.

Nice elk, though.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gledeasy Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Thanks everyone. I really can't wait to take these two with me. I was really tempted in taking the 3 year old this year. They both know what the elk says.

What's the earliest you guys have taken kids hunting? I would obviously be limited in how far I could hike, but was more worried for when the moment comes to shoot whether I could get him to stay behind me.
Posted By: Gledeasy Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Utah's antler point rules must be different than Idaho's. Here, that extra point on the right side makes it illegal for a spike hunt.

Nice elk, though.

[Linked Image]

In Utah as long as one side is a spike it is considered legal. In fact if I am not mistaken if one side is either a spike or doesn't branch above the ear it is legal for the taking.
Posted By: Buck_ Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Originally Posted by castnblast
Good call on passing up the first "shot opportunity " and congratulations on your hunting skills. Refreshing.

Agreed!
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
G.. congrat's
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Congrats! It sure would be nice to wake and go kill and elk:) You guys do have some nice looking elk country down there. That one would be legal here in Oregon as well in a spike only hunt, heck that would pretty much be a trophy up here!!
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Thanks for your story and pictures.
Congratulations.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/11/14
Originally Posted by Gledeasy
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Nice elk, though.

[Linked Image]

In Utah as long as one side is a spike it is considered legal. In fact if I am not mistaken if one side is either a spike or doesn't branch above the ear it is legal for the taking.
Here in Idaho, the regs are picky. You can't have a branch on either side in a spike hunt. At least 1 antler has to be 6" or more long. A point is a protrusion of 1" or more in length. It's darn hard to catch an elk to measure those bumps. Usually the beams on a spike are well over 6" but I've seen a few that would have to be measured to be sure they're legal.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/12/14
Way to go. Glad we don't have the antler restrictions it's just "any antlered"

Does your gun have a muzzle brake? Having to put ear protection in before shooting can be very problematic sometimes! Hunting elk solo is not a lot of fun once you pull the trigger too!
Posted By: EricM Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/12/14
Congratulations!!
Posted By: Ravenr2 Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/12/14
Them boys are HOOKED!!
They will tell their grandchildren about this day and live
their lives searching the mountains for "their" elk.
Congrats in so many ways.
Posted By: Gledeasy Re: Long Range Elk Hunting - 10/12/14
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Way to go. Glad we don't have the antler restrictions it's just "any antlered"

Does your gun have a muzzle brake? Having to put ear protection in before shooting can be very problematic sometimes! Hunting elk solo is not a lot of fun once you pull the trigger too!

We do have some any bull OTC units, but where I like to hunt is a spike only.

My gun does have a brake on it. I know not everyone is a fan, but after having one I really like it. I just carry the plugs with the plastic around my neck and it takes all but two seconds to slip them in.
© 24hourcampfire