Home
Am starting to look into a non-resident pack -in elk hunt for 2015. Considering availability of non-resident bull licenses as well as current quality of the elk herd, which state or states would you 1st look at? Thank you much.
New Mexico or Wyoming would be my picks.
Wyoming and Colorado for sheer numbers of elk. You'll have to draw a WY elk tag as a Non-res, and I am not sure how difficult that is without any points. Not sure about Colorado either.

Montana has a pretty long general season if you're flexible on the timeline ie. if you can go when the snow starts falling. There's pretty much always unsold elk combo tags for Montana, so it won't be an issue getting a tag there, but Montana is expensive.

Idaho has some great hunting, but the general rifle units often have stupidly low success, unless you know the area pretty well. The bow hunts are often just as bad. There's no cap to most of Idaho's non-resident tags, so there's no issue getting a tag there either.

Just some things to think about.

Don't have a clue about the other states.
Oregons elk hunts suck.
The Wyoming General Elk license requires 1 preference point for 66% odds.
Colorado has OTC licenses for more than half the state in 2nd season. I wouldn't do a pack in for 3rd season. Many 1st season hunts can be drawn with 0 points.
Idaho has a few options for general (no draw)September rifle hunts in some big time wilderness. No preference point system, so it's a totally random draw and may be worth putting in for to see how you come out.
Montana does too, their licenses are expensive but easy to come by nowadays.
New Mexico licenses are hard to come by, as are Arizona in most of the good units. N
And Nevada.
Utah at least you gives a chance at a good unit with 50% of the licenses going in a random draw, but your individual odds are low.
thanks guys for the info. Helpful input.
Wyoming, as close to Keith as you can get.
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Wyoming and Colorado for sheer numbers of elk. You'll have to draw a WY elk tag as a Non-res, and I am not sure how difficult that is without any points. Not sure about Colorado either.

Montana has a pretty long general season if you're flexible on the timeline ie. if you can go when the snow starts falling. There's pretty much always unsold elk combo tags for Montana, so it won't be an issue getting a tag there, but Montana is expensive.

Idaho has some great hunting, but the general rifle units often have stupidly low success, unless you know the area pretty well. The bow hunts are often just as bad. There's no cap to most of Idaho's non-resident tags, so there's no issue getting a tag there either.

Just some things to think about.

Don't have a clue about the other states.
Idaho non-res tags ARE capped.
© 24hourcampfire