Home
Posted By: pointer First Bull! - 11/10/14
Let me preface this post. I finally lucked out and drew a couple of limited entry/controlled hunt tags, but this elk tag was the one I was most excited for. Elk have been my unicorn, with me having only shot one cow in the past. When I zig they zag. I�ve gotten real good at making elk tag soup�

My flight left on Sunday for Idaho and the Monday before I woke up with a bit of a cough. Things got progressively worse throughout the week to the point I took a day off on Thursday with a 102� fever. I seemed to get a bit better Friday and Saturday, but once I got on the mountain I could tell I wasn�t myself. I�d hit the gym regularly all summer with this hunt being the main focus. My legs were fine I just couldn�t breathe�

I landed in Idaho at 11pm on Sunday night, which is 1am EST, which was really 2am on my body as the stupid daylight �savings� time had taken place. BOY and I headed straight for camp. He�d hauled most everything up previously, but there was still a few things to get set up and ready. I think we hit the rack at about 3am.

Day 1:
We woke about an hour before daylight and got ready for the day. I had left all my stuff in Idaho from the deer hunt in a big bag, so there was a bit of gear shuffling going on that morning. We made it to the top of the mountain about 10min after legal light. We glassed from a few places they�d seen elk in before. We found a herd of about 20 in the adjacent unit and had spotted a lone bull a couple of miles away in my unit. We didn�t get a real good look at him, but he was big enough to warrant a walk to see if we could get a better look. Just as we were heading back to the ATV, we spotted �the herd�! From where we were we counted about 70 head and they were filtering round the corner out of sight. Lots of smaller bulls and spikes, but no way to get to them from where we were. So, we headed down and around to where we�d seen the lone bull earlier. The hike over to where we saw him was far from daunting, but it took all I had to get there and back (see preface). We didn�t find any live elk, but saw where someone had previously shot a spike bull. It had been gutted, but was still there whole� We ran into the hunter a couple of days later packing it out, seems he got into some wolves after shooting the spike and ran out of time to get it out that day as he got sidetracked trying to kill a wolf.

Day 2:
BOY�s father and uncle had came to camp the night before and they headed to some lower country to see what they could find and his dad had a spike tag in his pocket. BOY and I headed back to where we were the night before to see if we could locate �the herd�. We didn�t find what we were looking for, but did see 10 cows and a 1X3 bull. We met up with the other two around lunch time and they�d found �the herd� down quite a bit lower than they were the day before. BOY, his father, and I headed down to take a peek at them and to try to find a way to make a move one them. We spotted them spread out over a couple of hilltops that had burnt a few years before. From there we could tell there was one decent 6pt and a really wide 5pt. We headed down lower to investigate routes in to the country they were feeding in. We didn�t find anything that didn�t require a saddle or a LONG uphill climb. So we headed back up only to find a truck parked where we were watched the herd earlier. We�d considered waiting until morning to make a push on them, but seeing that we weren�t the only ones keeping tabs on them we decided to make a move that night. Up the road was a secondary road that we thought might offer a better angle on them. On our way up we topped a small rise and BULL! About 750yds a head of us and a long way from the main herd was a lone bull bedded at the top of a small hill in the middle of the burn. We backed the truck out of site and snuck back up the road with the spotter. He was definitely worth going after! Boy and I dropped lower, around, and up another hill that should put us across from him. We belly crawled the last 50yds putting us 320yds from the bull. I finally was able to get a good rest and view without any grass in the way and shot! That�s when the rodeo started� More shots than I care to recount were taken and a quick footrace down the hill ensued. In the end I had my first bull elk on the ground! A 7X7!

Here I am walking up to him for the first time. Look at the bull, not the belly... laugh
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BOY and me!
[Linked Image]

BOY and his dad were a bit amused at my apparent lack of excitement. But, I had dreamed, schemed, and worked for the day I shot my first bull for a long time. I think I was more in shock than anything in that it had actually, finally happened. The rodeo, in the end, was sort of a good thing. The bull�s final resting place was about 30yds from an open ATV trail! We got the bull caped, boned, and loaded on the ATVs without one piece of him having to ride in a backpack. I have helped others pack enough elk to know that is rarely the case, but I wasn�t going to complain.

A big thanks goes out to BOY, his father, uncle, and rest of his family. The hospitality they showed me in my two trips to Idaho this fall were amazing. As many here know, I�ve helped BOY on a few OIL tags and other hunts, but I doubt I would have gotten near as nice a buck or bull (or any at all) without his help. Thanks a bunch BOY! I�m not sure I�ll be able to repay you in like kind, but I look forward to trying!
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: First Bull! - 11/10/14
Badass dude!
Posted By: eh76 Re: First Bull! - 11/10/14
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story/pictures!
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: First Bull! - 11/10/14
That is a fun story. I'd like to hear the "rodeo" details too, as they reflect the real part of hunting that does not always go the way we planned/wished.
Posted By: SLM Re: First Bull! - 11/10/14
Nice..Congrats.
Posted By: deflave Re: First Bull! - 11/10/14
pointer went straight UBER on that bull.

Travis
Posted By: wageslave Re: First Bull! - 11/10/14
Sweet bull, Pointer.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: First Bull! - 11/10/14
Wow! Really nice!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: First Bull! - 11/10/14
pointer, that'un makes up for an awful lot of tag soup.
Posted By: smokepole Re: First Bull! - 11/10/14
Dang pointer, congrats, what a toad. And 30 yards to a trail, you're livin' right!
Posted By: mtcurman Re: First Bull! - 11/10/14
Great bull Pointer...

From one Hoosier to another, congrats.... grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: First Bull! - 11/10/14
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Badass dude!

A BIG +1 laugh

And BTW: you can quit hunting elk now!
Posted By: davidlea Re: First Bull! - 11/10/14
Heck of a bull-first, last, whatever! Go buy a lottery ticket, you're on a roll. Congrats on a really good one!
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Way to go!

We need the loony details, rifle, bullet, etc.

Mike, former Hoosier as well!
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
You knocked it out of the park...great bull! Congrats.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Congratulations!
Posted By: 24mileboy Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Congratulations and a good read!
Posted By: eyeball Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Great read, hunt and post.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Congrats on a great bull!
Posted By: clos Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
very nice bull! WOW!
Congratulations!
Posted By: imgoofy Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Congrats! You'll eat a few more tags before you find a better bull!!!
Posted By: JGray Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Outstanding bull! I think ingwe called it - I'd probably quit chasing elk after that.
Posted By: pointer Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Thanks everyone for the kudos. I realize he's not a cover of a magazine bull, but I'm still tickled chitless.

Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
That is a fun story. I'd like to hear the "rodeo" details too, as they reflect the real part of hunting that does not always go the way we planned/wished.
The bull was bedded on top of the hill on the left. I climbed up and through the timber of the middle hill, taking the shot from just right of the tallest tree. [Linked Image]
At the shot, which we thought was a miss at the time, he moved down hill towards and to my left. I shot two more times as he was running. Once at the bottom of the hill he tried, but couldn't climb the next one. In this one, you can see him just right of my barrel.
[Linked Image]At that point he's pretty sick. As soon as he moved out of sight to the right we bailed down the hill and finished what I had started. I hit him a bit too much 'around the edges' allowing him to travel more than he should have.

Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Way to go!

We need the loony details, rifle, bullet, etc.

Mike, former Hoosier as well!
Ruger MKII SS/LAM in 338 Win Mag with a Leupold 3-9X40. Load was 210gr Partition over 65gr R15 in Win brass with WIN LRM primers.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
So, yer saying the magnum don't cut it on marginal shots like everyone would have you believe?
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Way to go pointer, I'm glad Idaho treated you so well this year!

30 yds from a motorized trail?! I've been doing it wrong...
No, hunts the 338 Win is not an Uber T-Rex for THIS hunt.

Carl- That is the ideal spot for them to die. Not what I had planned, but it works... wink
Posted By: CreekWarrior Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Great bull pointer!
Sounds like the 338 and a 210 did just what you needed it to do when you "hit them around the edges"....
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Excellent story and a very nice bull! Thanks for sharing.

However I am having a hard time getting my head around the term "Rodeo". In my mind Rodeo's involve Horses, Bulls, Bucklebunnys, Calves,Ropes,Chutes,Fans,8 seconds,Barrels, & Coors.

This story involved ATV's and firing your rifle. The regulations do not require a one shot, one kill, in order to tag your animal. These are not bench shots, sometimes it takes more than one shot. I have seen me do it.....yet nothing bucked me off.

Congratulations a nice first bull!
Posted By: smokepole Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Just one question pointer, are you pissed that you put in all that gym work and got short-changed on the packout??
Originally Posted by smokepole
Just one question pointer, are you pissed that you put in all that gym work and got short-changed on the packout??
Not at all! Kinda like being prepared to shoot to 600yds and have one pop out at 40yds. I'll take easier anytime I can get it. Now if I could just quit coughing and finally breathe normally...

Posted By: SKane Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Nice job on the bull, man!!! Well done!
Posted By: Ralphie Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Nice bull man.

You might hunt awhile and never top him.

Cool pics and story too.

None of us ever have "rodeos" on elk. grin
Posted By: efw Re: First Bull! - 11/11/14
Thanks for sharing man great story and fantastic bull!
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: First Bull! - 11/12/14
Awesome bull.

Dink
Posted By: Tanner Re: First Bull! - 11/12/14
Effin' A Cotton, that's a toad... nice work bro.

Tanner
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: First Bull! - 11/12/14
Ah another successful Partition story! Who would have guessed they'd work laugh

Thanks for the specs.

Mike
Posted By: donsm70 Re: First Bull! - 11/12/14
Congratulations! That bull WILL be a tough act to follow.

donsm70
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: First Bull! - 11/12/14
Nice bull, you did well.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: First Bull! - 11/19/14
Good job, fellow flatlander!!!
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: First Bull! - 11/20/14
You didn't tell me about dropping him on the road! That is a nice bonus- very nice bull too!
Posted By: pointer Re: First Bull! - 11/20/14
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
You didn't tell me about dropping him on the road! That is a nice bonus- very nice bull too!
As sick as I was, that was a very welcome bonus!!

Thanks all for the kind words. Now I just have to wait between 8-14mos to see him again...
© 24hourcampfire