Home
After a couple years of getting skunked, my son got his shot. This 5-point stepped out a little closer than we planned as we were about to root around in our packs for "second breakfast." Two shots (and hits) at about 80 yards from the .300RUM offhand and the bull was down. He then helped me quarter it and packed out two loads. It was about a 1.5 mile pack, we were done right at dark. We're both a little whooped today. Public land, second choice bull tag. 180g Nosler Partitions did the trick again. I couldn't be prouder of him.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice bull. Good job young man.
Posted By: SLM Re: Junior's first elk yesterday! - 11/17/14
Love it, the smile says it all...Congrats.

Neat looking brow tine
The smiles tell it all.. Very best wishes to both of you for many more fine hunts..
Dave, I still have mine just like that one. Been my hatrack all these years.....

[Linked Image]
Nice bull, and a good start! Congratulations.
Outstanding!

Mike
Congrats to you and your boy! Thanks for the post and the great pictures.
Posted By: RNF Re: Junior's first elk yesterday! - 11/17/14
Nice bull, congrats to your son.
Congratulations to both of you and best wishes for many more memorable hunts together!
parenting done right.
Great bull.......even better smile! Congrats to you both.
Congrats to dad and son!
A job well done by all parties. Good for the Parent, and even more so for the Son. Congratulations.
Very nice! I can see one hit on the elk, where did the other land? Good job for him to make 2 good offhand shots, that can be a little tough under adrenaline!
Congratulations
Awesome! Congrats!
That's great! Congrats to the lad!
Awesome hat rack! I had a whitetail version growing up. I think I'll get him a nice euro mount for this one.

His first hit was when the bull was quartering towards us and uphill, so went in behind the shoulder and out the other side through the guts. Second shot was broadside right in the armpit and that dropped him. I'm a fan of shooting until they fall over. And the gutless quarter method is nice when there's a gut hit. Even getting the tenderloins out wasn't bad.

Thanks for all the comments. I have more fun guiding my kids into critters than I do getting high-scoring racks myself.

sd

Posted By: TDN Re: Junior's first elk yesterday! - 11/17/14
Way to go dad! Congrats to you and the young man!
Good job!!
Congratulations.
That's super, being a father I know your are proud and you should be, that's a fine elk.
Public land bull! Offhand shot.
Doesn't get any better than that for a first elk.
Congratulations to Dad and Son!
Great to read.
I love the kid hunts.
Very cool.
Fine elk there - Congrats to you both!
Congratulations.
That's what "Cool" is all about right there!!
Congratulations to father and son. What a great way to spend some quality time and build memories.
© 24hourcampfire