Home
Posted By: elkhuntinguide Warrior Cow Hunt... - 12/08/14
Got a call from Campfire member Bella1 asking if I would like to join him on a Wounded Warrior cow hunt... The hunt was given to the Wounded Warrior Foundation by JFW Ranch Consulting which is a top notch group of good people...

We hunted hard for 2.5 days on a ranch known to have large quantities of elk and didn't see not one damn cow... Seen BIG Bulls, Huge Bucks and tons of doe's but the cows were very illusive... Finally on the 3rd afternoon we glassed a burn area and found a small herd of about 250+ elk bedded down...

We closed the 1.5 mile gap down on a nice little walk... Got into shooting range...Couple toots on the flute and we had a small cow broadside at a bit over 250 yds... Our Warrior Mike squeezed off a shot with his 7 mag and was a tad high... Elk hauled ass so we paralleled them for about a mile or so along the ridge closing the shooting gap as we went on... Finally we found an opening where we figured they'd cross and as they started through another toot of the flute and we had a good size cow stop broadside at 80 yds... A nice shot by our Warrior Mike and she crumpled up about 60 yds from where he shot her...

We had to drag her about 900 yds or so to get her in the pickup... It was a great hunt and I had a great time...

Tip of the hat to Bella1 for his time and effort and also to JFWRC (link) for setting up the hunt for Mike...

A ton of appreciation and gratitude to Mike for his Service and Sacrifice he has made to our country...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Cow Hunt... - 12/08/14
Tip of the hat to Bella1 for his time and effort and also to JFWRC (link) for setting up the hunt for Mike...

well done fellas
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Cow Hunt... - 12/08/14
Very nice.
Posted By: Cinch Re: Cow Hunt... - 12/08/14
Very well done my friend! You sure that thing isn't part horse?? HUGE!
Posted By: davidlea Re: Cow Hunt... - 12/08/14
Good on you and your friends EHG, nice way to give it back to those who deserve it. Thanks for the post and for stepping up.
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Cow Hunt... - 12/08/14
Thanks for doing this, a good cause.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Cow Hunt... - 12/08/14
Excellent, congrats to all.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Cow Hunt... - 12/08/14
Congratulations
Posted By: Huntr Re: Cow Hunt... - 12/08/14
Absolutely awesome!
Posted By: Bella1 Re: Cow Hunt... - 12/08/14
I have never seen a more dedicated hunter than EHG . He made every attempt to find Mike a cow , worked his butt off from 4:00am to 8:00pm all three days . EHG is a special Opps warrior and connected with Mike making him feel good about himself. I hope to be apart of many more hunts like this one . Our troops deserve an outing like the one we hade. I had more fun than hunting myself! cinch was right, this cow was the size of a horse! vermejo wanted to weigh every one of them so we made it happen . They couldn't believe how big she was! If ever a TROPHY cow, she was!
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Cow Hunt... - 12/08/14
Wait, can you go back to the 900 yard drag part? Horse for sure! Great hunt congrats.
Posted By: gonzaga Re: Cow Hunt... - 12/09/14
1000 thanks to all involved. Bella1, for getting involved in these hunts. I hope it will help Mike along in his healing.

EHG, that's really a good thing you did. Glad you were able to help these guys out. Really shows what a stand up guy you are. Thank you for your service EHG, we need more people like you guys around.

And to Mike, thank you for your service and sacrifice to a great full nation. Glad you were able to harvest a nice cow elk. I'm sure she will be good eating on those cold winter evenings.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Cow Hunt... - 12/09/14
Congrats on a successful hunt!
Posted By: Tanner Re: Cow Hunt... - 12/09/14
Top notch dudes, awesome stuff...

Tanner
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Cow Hunt... - 12/09/14
Outstanding post, congrats all around.
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: Warrior Cow Hunt... - 12/09/14
Very nice, looks like a good time.
Posted By: FishN4Eyes Re: Warrior Cow Hunt... - 12/09/14
That's pretty sweet stuff there.

And a helluva job on getting one of our servicemen out there hunting.

A tip of the hat all around!
Posted By: saddlering Re: Warrior Cow Hunt... - 12/09/14
Good Job to all, my Hats off to fellows like you!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Warrior Cow Hunt... - 12/09/14
Way to go! Great hunt!
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Warrior Cow Hunt... - 12/12/14
Very good deed. Those folks really appreciate the opportunity.

I did one of these hunts for DOW (now DPW, unfortunately) several years ago. Those guys were all medics with lots of Iraq time. Amazing stories and a great hunt. Never had more appreciative hunters in camp and field.
© 24hourcampfire