Home
Posted By: shrapnel Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/14/14

We always see those skinny guys and their big bulls. How about the rest of us that like to kill elk and eat them? This fall was good for my son and I. He shot a calf with his bow, a cow with his 300 and I got a cow with my 300. Nothing but meat.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Travis got skunked...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Awesome pics shrap. I love hunting them and eating them. That's the only reason I go. I put in for cow tags every year, but it takes 5 years to get the tag. I hunt bulls when I'm not hunting cows. I could care less how big the antlers are, as they don't eat well anyway.... Too bad about Travis. Maybe he'll get one next year if he has a better guide and teacher... whistle
[Linked Image]

7 WSM/ 168 Berger VLD.

It's what happens when you bring the correct head stamps.... grin
Posted By: deflave Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/14/14
Real comedians diversify their material.

Travis
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/14/14

Travis, none of them faced the adversity that you faced.
Posted By: Ravenr2 Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/14/14
Upside down cow with 2 raking shots
[Linked Image]
Travis didn't get one with me either....
Posted By: deflave Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/14/14
Originally Posted by jwp475

Travis, none of them faced the adversity that you faced.

The only time it's appropriate to ridicule people is when I'm doing the ridiculing.

Travis
Don't take it so hard buddy. You might get one next year, if you don't invite shrappy. We know he screwed you up on this years hunt... whistle
Travis I want to thank you for being such a good sport about all this. You've cheered me up this fall with you're responses to Shraps "Travis don't cut the mustard" thread. He's a mean spirited SOB ain't he?
I don't fault you. Anyone could miss seeing that big herd of elk there in the field in front of you. It happens. Way to shake it off.

Besides, I'm sure you make up for it in other, albeit less manly ways. Some people just aren't cut out for the rigors of serious big game roadhunting out west.

I personally think you got royally screwed by your guide too. That breakfast deal was a low blow.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/14/14
His only consolation will be knowing he's not from Orygun.

Here's one. 22/250, shrap was spotting for me.

[Linked Image]

Tanner
I got a 'nice, fat cow' on my highfence ranch handgun 'hunt'. The rancher was helpful and loaded her into the truck......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Hey! No cheatin with pearl handled pistola's
dammit, that's gen-U-wine fake Ivory......
Originally Posted by Tanner
His only consolation will be knowing he's not from Orygun.

Here's one. 22/250, shrap was spotting for me.

Tanner

There is that. grin

Very astute, gun with matching ammo. Note to self...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rl11 Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/14/14
It's a shame that all the bulls that got posted on here this fall didn't get eaten.

Wow! There's one for the books...

Originally Posted by Ravenr2
Upside down cow with 2 raking shots
[Linked Image]
Travis didn't get one with me either....
Posted By: jryoung Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/14/14
I took my buddy on his first elk hunt and got him his first elk. Creeping through thick timber and finding them at 40yds, it was pretty awesome.

[Linked Image]
Why one for the books Shrapnel?

That is about as classic a picture of "where it fell" and still be able to retrieve it...
Posted By: imgoofy Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/15/14
No field pics as my camera was too cold to work, but here she is, or at least a portion because there are two more shelves full!!!

[Linked Image]

Still gotta do some sorting!!
Posted By: pointer Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/15/14
[Linked Image]

EHG- Looks like you prescribe to the Big Stick method of bullet placement. Meat gets shot in the ear... wink Looks like lots of leg bones for the dog! You still have the one you posted pics of?
Posted By: mike_d Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/15/14
When they came out of the timber and I didn't see any horns, I got excited cause instantly saw tenderloins.
[Linked Image]
300winmag 180 E-tip. About 100yds.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/15/14
30 Newton, 200gr Partition, 340 yards

[Linked Image]
Posted By: laker Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/15/14
7mm mashburn 160 grain accubond 51 yards
[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/15/14
Damn, she hit the only tree out there! This one is from last year. I hit the elk twice and she started sliding. Last I saw of her she was just about to pass one of the elk that was running down the hill. grin

[Linked Image]

This is how I found it. I had to cut one of the trees down she was wedged in there so tight.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: laker Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/16/14
I woulda been schit outta luck in that situation as I usually just carry a knife or two. Woulda made for fun quartering that's for sure
Posted By: Razz Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/16/14
All I got is pictures of my unpunched archery tag, here is my son and his from this year..
[Linked Image]

2 of my boys share a house, here is their roommate using my son's rifle, day before Thanksgiving..
[Linked Image]
Posted By: PWN Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/16/14
[Linked Image][/URL]http://[/img]
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/16/14
[Linked Image]
With her last leap she wedged herself between two spruce trees.
Originally Posted by Alamosa
[Linked Image]

Another good pic, we are going to have to have a contest in best dead cow picture...
This turned out to be a bull. About 18 -20 months old. No horn pedicles and no testicles. Sure was a surprise when I rolled it over. 348 gr Powerbelt, 100 gr FFG Black Powder, at about 125 yards.FO sights.

This one came out of the timber after a nice 6x bull sauntered out then walked away when I was cow calling.

[Linked Image]

Thank you for sshring all these photos. I didn't draw this year. My 15 year old did, but just messed up his knee wrestling. We may be out of luck this year. I will do my best to live vicariously through all of you.
FH
Vince, is that an underbit earmark in the bottom of the right ear?
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Vince, is that an underbit earmark in the bottom of the right ear?

I can't remember, but you can see similar on the left. I think it was just hair coloring. Could be wrong. I didn't pay much attention.
Nov. cow. .375 H & H.. 260 Nosler Accubond..

[Linked Image]
Nice set up WCH. Classy picture.
[Linked Image]

Roosevelt cow with my .260, 129gr Hornaday IL. Maybe 100 yards.
All that brush she's laying in is poison oak!!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/21/14
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

[Linked Image]

Does over kill exist? Was she over dead or too dead?
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/22/14
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

[Linked Image]

How did that bullet perform for you? Obviously it killed it fine, just wondering about penetration. I used that same bullet on my bull this year and he only went a few yards, but I was surprised that none of the several bullets I put into him exited. His complete lack of reaction to the first couple shots made me wonder if I had hit him at all. Think I'm going to try a TTSX, see how that works.
xx, this bullet did exit you can see the exit to the left of the rifle.. I like Accubonds.. So far I must have killed maybe half a dozen elk with them and this last fall the same load and .375 took down a very large cow moose..
I have used Accubonds in my .340, .300 Wea., and .300 Win.
200's in the Wea. and 150's and 165's in the .300 Win.s. Late last winter I shot a big cow with a semi target .300 win. and 150 gr. Accubonds starting out about 3450 fps. Dropped the cow in her tracks at about 250 yards. Have the bullet some where it expanded perfectly.. I have never had an Accubond fail.. They are always perfectly expanded, those that I have recovered.. BUT they do not shot completely though an animal like the partition does. But I have had no problem killing game quickly and cleanly with them..
I didn't draw an elk tag this year, and only one of my sons did. He used a 150 gr NPT from an A-Bolt in 270 Win at 347 yards in the late season.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MTMAN Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/30/14
Not over yet. Going out on a damage hunt tomorrow AM. Going to be a bit chilly but hopefully bearable.
Here's mine, shot in the exact same spot that I flubbed a shot at a black bear the evening before. I had both bear and elk tags, was watching a feeding field from a blind. Three bears showed up the first evening about 240 yards out. Hit the biggest one a bit too far forward and missed the lungs with a 250 Horn RN .358 from my Whelen. He ran about 1/2 mile north into the forest reserve, no amount of tracking ( even with my dog) could find him in the thick hazel brush. No better success tracking in the morning either. So I sat in the same spot, the same time of the next evening, and three elk showed up. Killed this one very efficiently with a slightly better placed bullet.
My buddy found the bear a few days later, almost completely consumed by wolves. I certainly wasn't proud of losing and wasting a bear, but it was gratifying to be offered the exact same shot a day later ( the elk was standing within a couple feet of the same spot where I hit the bear) and make good.
As it turns out, the bear was one that had chased my buddy for a considerable distance the week before when he was out for a ride on his mountain bike. He was glad it was dead, even if I was kinda conflicted about the whole bear mess.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 12/31/14
Originally Posted by Alamosa
[Linked Image]

Love that pic. A late hunting pard of mine used a gen1 BLR in 7RM, didnt have any bluing left on it..good memories seeing that pic.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 01/06/15
Didn't draw a Bull tag again this year, so grabbed a late season cow tag. Fun times and a full freezer! 250 yards/GAP 308/155gr. Scenar.

[Linked Image]

Kinda cool to look back and remember dreaming as a kid of chasing elk, and then realizing this is my 21st elk.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 01/07/15
A dandy too. Big old girl.
Originally Posted by Huntr
Didn't draw a Bull tag again this year, so grabbed a late season cow tag. Fun times and a full freezer! 250 yards/GAP 308/155gr. Scenar.

[Linked Image]

Kinda cool to look back and remember dreaming as a kid of chasing elk, and then realizing this is my 21st elk.

Huntr,

Nice big cow....you still shooting the lefty M-70 7X57?

Doc
Posted By: Huntr Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 01/07/15
Hey Doc, still shooting the lefty, but it's an '06 in its current version. Debated hard on using it on this hunt!
Posted By: utah708 Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 01/15/15
I finished out the season helping a co-worker shoot her first big game animal. Even though she grew up in MT, she didn't learn to hunt then. Now, in her mid-40s, she has decided it is something she wants to do. So we bought her a Tikka T3 in 7-08 and loaded up some 140 Partitions. In practice over the summer she got quite steady out to 300 yds. She didn't draw any tags, so we were able to buy her a landowner cow tag.

Took us three trips to get into the elk because a lack of snow had them much higher than usual. You can see the road we started from snaking along the valley bottom.

[Linked Image]

We had expected a wide open shot at 200+ yards, but she ended up with a "hurry up" shot at about 75 yards through the junipers. She hit it a bit far back, so we had to do a follow up shot. The elk was on a very steep slope, and it rolled under a rootwad that we could barely pull it out of.

[Linked Image]

Given how far from the road we were, and how steep it was, I was glad it was but a calf. I doubt she would have grinned bigger if it was a big bull. I am glad to have helped her get her first animal.

[Linked Image]
Utah708,

Good job on getting her out for her first elk. Great pictures as well.
Nice job Utah708
Posted By: pointer Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 01/16/15
Well done UT708!
Posted By: Huntr Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 01/17/15
Great job, Utah!
Great job Utah708!
Posted By: memtb Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 01/18/15
No pictures to show. Would have needed a good telephoto lenses to photo our cows!!! We have an empty freezer! On the bright side, it's still rabbit season, according to my math, approx. 363 rabbits equals one average cow! grin memtb

You can't beat rabbits, here is about a front quarter of an elk...

[Linked Image]
I miss eating rabbit. Glad I don't have to worry about getting my face all scratched to chit anymore though...

You killing them with your teeth???
Posted By: memtb Re: Let's See This Fall's Cows - 01/18/15
That would be "rather sporting" though, don't ya think? memtb
© 24hourcampfire