Home
Went out for one last Festivus hoo-ra today with the 3 kids. My daughter age 12 still had a cow elk tag.

Snow was deep, but we found one small herd of elk in some thick brush.

The 4 of us used the Festivus spirit to sneak in to 160-ish yards.

She set up on sticks for the shot, hot safety, and.......elk stand up, start moving out. The last cow stopped quartering away. "Shoot!" I whispered.....

She took for......ev.......er. But the elk cooperated.

Her 7-08 cracked. The cow stumbled and stood broadside. She rechambers and drilled through both shoulders. Elk down!

Both shots were exactly right.

When this girl does shoot, something dies. She is 100% in her first year of big game hunting.

[Linked Image]
Mid body shot is entrance on the quartering away first shot.

We covered the front shoulder as it was too colored for good photography.

The entire Festivus elk hunting clan.
[Linked Image]

We broke the cow down into quarters and we demonstrated feats of strength in sledding to the truck.
Everyone was pooped, but extremely happy.
Congrat's to the young lady .....looks like she killed the biggest cow in the bunch!
Awesome, love the smiles!
Good for her! Gotta like those 7-08's
Congrats! Good thing you didn't use a 270...that cow would still be pumping air.
Congratulations to all of you, especially the young lady putting meat in the freezer!

Curious, what bullet did you use? I agree with your choice on the 7-08 and have our daughter shooting one, too.
Awesome story. Congrats to all of you. Way to make everlasting memories there. Great job!!!!
Good shooting right there! Congrats to the girl on the big cow.

BP
Gongrats on the Festivus fun times. Love the feats of strength of part.

Good job to you and your daughter.
Very, very cool! Thanks for sharing.
Great job
Thanks for the kind words all. Certainly a memory I'll smile about for a long time.

Originally Posted by Proud_Dad

Curious, what bullet did you use?

Nosler 120 grn BT. 44 grns Varget.

First time using it on elk. I'm impressed. Complete penetration on both shots, which is saying something when both shoulders are punched.
Congratulations
Uber cool. Congrats!
Outstanding! Congratulations to you all, and on Festivus too. One of my favorite holidays. Did the Festivus pole serve as her shooting stick?;-)

Great pictures too.
Originally Posted by T Bone
Thanks for the kind words all. Certainly a memory I'll smile about for a long time.

First time using it on elk. I'm impressed. Complete penetration on both shots, which is saying something when both shoulders are punched.

That is impressive. I am loading that bullet, too, using 25.0 gr. of SR4759 for a reduced recoil load.

Thanks. Congratulations again to all of you and best wishes for many more successful hunts together!
Originally Posted by T Bone

I'll say. Congrats to all.
Heck yeah, nice work T-Bone.

Tanner
That is great!
The 7-08 sure is good elk medicine. My dad shot a nice bull with one too, and it went down right there.
You are a lucky man. My daughter went hunting/fishing with Dad till she was ~ 16-17 then discovered horses, then college. She's still in college but I'm trying to convince her she needs to hang out with the old man.........
WTG

That hole seems to be exactly where it needs to be.

Young lady has doe her part to fill the freezer.

Hope she helps convert it into edible portions too!
The 7-08 strikes again! A job well done! Big congrats!!!
Very nice. Congrats to the hunter and the coach! That scenery looks familiar. We're still waiting to bloody the 7-08 I got for the kiddos.
When I was 12 elk were just something I read about in Granddad's magazines. And dreamed about hunting ... someday. Took another 30 years for the dream to come true. (Yeah, it's Granddad's fault I live on CO now. God bless him!)

Daughter #1 will go on her first elk hunt next year. I hope she can do as well as this young lady. I think she'll be 33. God willing, I'll start taking my grandkids as soon as they can go. The only one so far is 7 months old, still a bit young for elk...

Congrats to all involved - Daughter, Dad, Mom. The world needs more of this.
Awesome! You did air the grievances first, right?

Good for your daughter and you!

My nephew, Nate, was visiting from E.P., CO, earlier this week and matter-of-factly said, "Uncle Dan, I'm gonna be 12 in February and think I'll probably get an elk, muley, bear and antelope next fall with my .243."

I believe he just might do it.
Good times T,

curious, BT meaning Ballistic tip?

That 2nd shot to the right side shoulder, that was the entrance?
Yes and yes. 2nd shot dead-centered both fronts.

Originally Posted by Kenneth

curious, BT meaning Ballistic tip?

That 2nd shot to the right side shoulder, that was the entrance?
Thanks for the reply, my question is regarding the impact of the 2nd shot, which you covered with snow,

Explosive impact?
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Explosive impact?

No. Dime sized entrance. Quarter sized exit.

The reason why it was covered is that it was a gusher.

We cleaned it up multiple times for photos, but it just kept sloshing out. We covered it up with snow to make better photography.
That's great! Lifetime memories with the family will never fade.
© 24hourcampfire