Home
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Wyoming record elk -- 426 - 02/03/15
I've been looking for proof this wasn't a real fair-chase elk, but it looks like it was the real deal. I didn't think there were still monsters out there in General hunt areas.

[Linked Image]

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...d7418c2-f1f6-5231-8f2b-e398fa9d7335.html
Looking at those pictures, I'd have never believed that was Wyoming, and especially not near Dubois. Trees and grass just don't look right to me, but I'm not even close to being an expert on those types of things.

Congrats to the hunter on a magnificent bull!
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I've been looking for proof this wasn't a real fair-chase elk, but it looks like it was the real deal. I didn't think there were still monsters out there in General hunt areas.

[Linked Image]

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...d7418c2-f1f6-5231-8f2b-e398fa9d7335.html

Real Deal.

2 limited draw areas meet up against a very rough remote chunk of General. Lots of good bulls have come out of that spot over the years.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Wyoming record elk -- 426 - 02/03/15
WOW!

donsm70
Impressive for sure!!
I spent most of the summer in Dubois last year. I saw that rack, or one like it, on a cab of a truck in town, it was a huge 6x7. It is magnificent! Congrats to the hunter. There were some real nice Bulls taken, a young lady took a real beauty with a recurve first week of the archery only season.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Wyoming record elk -- 426 - 02/03/15
What a bull.. Things dreams are made of..
Originally Posted by beretzs
+1. indeed what dreams are made of. Such an accomplishment on public ground.
Posted By: LostArra Re: Wyoming record elk -- 426 - 02/03/15
more of the story:
http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforu...threadid=439767&MESSAGES=42&FF=5
tag
Posted By: GuyM Re: Wyoming record elk -- 426 - 02/04/15
Originally Posted by beretzs

Absolutely!
Decent.
Indeed, this is a fabulous bull elk.

Over many years of personal elk hunting and guiding in Hell's Canyon, I've literally seen tens of thousands of bull elk.

I've seen many bulls that were almost as good as this one ... I say almost because they seemingly always had weak 3rds, a major tine broken off or one side that was limp. Hell, we even had a bull in Hell's that was a fantastic six-point on one side and a hellacious five-foot spike on the other.

I've seen precisely ONE elk that was of this bull's caliber ... and he might easily have been bigger. Actually, the one I saw was probably a bit bigger by ten-inches or so, but this one's dead and I had to let mine walk.

It was cow season, I had a cow tag in my pocket and all I could do was drool!!! The next day, I killed an ancient bitch of a lead cow that had screwed up stalks for us many, many times. In many ways, killing that toothless old hag and grinding her meat into delicious hamburger was almost worth not being able to kill the bull ... almost.

Steve

Originally Posted by dogzapper

Indeed, this is a fabulous bull elk.

Over many years of personal elk hunting and guiding in Hell's Canyon, I've literally seen tens of thousands of bull elk.

I saw precisely ONE that was of this bull's caliber ... and he might easily have been bigger.

It was cow season, I had a cow tag in my pocket and all I could do was drool!!! The next day, I killed an ancient bitch of a lead cow that had screwed up stalks for us many, many times. In many ways, killing that toothless old hag and grinding her meat into delicious hamburger was almost worth not being able to kill the bull ... almost.

Steve

grin Almost.

Huge bull, amazing really.

We used to see a bazillon elk in Hell's. It is really amazing what a small percentage of large bulls there are, even in really remote, relatively unhunted zones.

Steve

Posted By: Brad Re: Wyoming record elk -- 426 - 02/06/15
Extraordinary Bull.

I assume the score is not a B&C number, but an SCI number?

Right now there is a genuine 400 class bull on the reserve in Jackson if anyone is headed that way...
yep.
Gross.
Outstanding trophy.
Crossbows rule.
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Looking at those pictures, I'd have never believed that was Wyoming, and especially not near Dubois. Trees and grass just don't look right to me, but I'm not even close to being an expert on those types of things.

Congrats to the hunter on a magnificent bull!
The woods looks exactly like the woods I hunted in Dubois, minus the big bull, all I seen were dang bighorn sheep, lots of them and dumber then domestic sheep..... go figure. But long grass and all I believe this to be 100 percent legitimate. The locals are all talking about it. Shame there is a wolf pack pushing the elk right into town now......
Amazing bull right there...
Posted By: eyeball Re: Wyoming record elk -- 426 - 02/08/15

We used to see a bazillon elk in Hell's. It is really amazing what a small percentage of large bulls there are, even in really remote, relatively unhunted zones.

Steve

Yes Steve, and to me it appears that truth holds true for mule deer and especially whitetails.

I would appreciate your opinion on that.
Originally Posted by eyeball

Steve

Yes Steve, and to me it appears that truth holds true for mule deer and especially whitetails.

I would appreciate your opinion on that.

Eyeball,

It's pretty much the same, but it is possible for a decent hunter to "buy" a great whitetail. I did it for several years in Alberta and came home with a fine buck every year. And had I thrown more bucks at it and hired one of the truly trophy outfitters up north, I could have done even better.

I grew up killing mule deer, lots of mule deer (literally hundreds), and rapidly learned that killing a BIG mule normally takes a lot of doing. And in the areas I hunted in Montana and Wyoming, it depended a lot on the year.

When we were hunting out of Jordan, I'd usually spend three days just looking at bucks in the area, just to see what the year had brought. Then, I'd center on one and try to kill him ... during rut, mules wander like crazy, so sometimes it's just a crazy dance.

And one year, Karen and I went out the first day we were there and I ended up killing the first mule deer buck I saw. I was not going to ever see a larger buck in the area ... ever ... so I killed him (426 yards with a prototype Nosler bullet)

I'm not so sure that you can buy hunt that will reliably result in a true trophy mule deer. Maybe Sonora, but I have no experience there.

And maybe it's good that truly trophy mules are something that are totally earned and not so much bought. I absolutely love hunting mule deer and it's their unpredicatbleness (is that a word?) that kept me coming back.

The first year I hunted whitetail was many years ago in Alberta. My outfitter (he was a friend) told me, "Steve, we have a nice bladebeam buck in our woodlot, a solid 150 over in Duncan's place and a super 160 that holds tight down in the gasweed on Pete's. What do you want to hunt?" Crap, it seemed like he had a number on the big whitetails in the area and that was not something I've ever experienced with mules.

I decided on the 150 at Duncan's woods and he put a push through with a bunch of local kids. I saw the buck coming through the end of the woods and thought, "Heck, he's just like a mulie, he'll come to the end of the woods and peek out and I'll kill him right there."

Uhhh, he hit the end of the woods on JATO and hit seventeenth gear a quarter-second later, leaving a contrail the entire way. He ran across the field at a rate that was not to be believed.

I killed my whitetail that year, but worked my butt off and earned him totally. Yep, the damned 160 in the gasweed ... ended up being 163. Heavy, 4X4, plus split eyeguards.

And I shot a 180-something kinda non-typical mule the evening before (that one was a frackin' rodeo!!!!). Came alive on me when Patty was taking the hero photos and I literally had to stab him to death with my knife ... and that took a lot of doin' on a big-assed Alberta mule deer. Not as bad as the time I rode a wounded 6X6 bull elk a hundred yards down a snowy slope in Montana, but damned close.

One day I should write a book about all this crap ... problem is that nobody would believe it. grin

Actually, if I wanted a big mule deer today, I would make one phone call. I would hire Pat Sinclair (ScenarShooter here at the 24HCF). I have only hunted antelope and coyotes with Pat, but every second of the time I've spent with him has been golden. Pat gets his clients onto some fabulous critters. Pat is the real deal, he is a fine, honest man and if I had to choose amongst the top three men I've ever known to hunt with (or just to hang out with), one would be Pat.

Another of the three would be Johnny Barsness. And don't tell either one of those guys that ... their heads will swell and they'll be impossible to get along with. grin

Dunno if I answered your question, but tried.

Blessings,

Steve

Posted By: eyeball Re: Wyoming record elk -- 426 - 02/13/15
Thanks DZ for the considered reply, great story, and for your effort which resulted in a wonderful read.

Yes, you should write a book and put my copy at the top of the list.

Im old enough to know what you mean by feeling folks would not believe the things ive done and seen.

I am glad to have read the stories of Russel Annabel and Journal of a Trapper and i am glad they werent restrained by the same thinking. grin

Your post above is rife with the wonders of that same type of thing.

Thanks, eye
eye,

Damn, another lover of Osborne Russell's Journal of a Trapper 1834-1843. Bloody incredible!!! gringringrin

Blessings,

Steve
Posted By: eyeball Re: Wyoming record elk -- 426 - 02/15/15
And back at you, DZ.
Oh, killing a big mulie can be easy if you have the money. Just buy a governor's tag, wait until they are forced into winter range, and pay a bunch of locals to be your bounty hunters. Happens every year in Colorado.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Wyoming record elk -- 426 - 03/03/15
61 yards away with a crossbow.
eye,

Damn, another lover of Osborne Russell's Journal of a Trapper 1834-1843. Bloody incredible!!! gringringrin

Blessings,

Steve

Wow, I incorporated that book into a dissertation paper in college. I figured I'd never hear of anyone else reading it.
Originally Posted by bloodworks
eye,

Blessings,

Steve

Wow, I incorporated that book into a dissertation paper in college. I figured I'd never hear of anyone else reading it.

Blood,

Yes, Journal of a Trapper is an amazing book. I re-read it every two or three years and always see something new.

By the way, Russell worked on a water bypass channel that went by Willamette Falls (Willamette River, near Oregon City) and he was injured by a dynamite blast there. The place is maybe five miles from our home.

The manuscript, I believe, was entrusted to Russell's sister and she had it published either while he was dying from the injury or shortly after his death.

Blessings,

Steve
I wonder how long it would take for the taking of such a trophy to actually sink in?
© 24hourcampfire