Home
Posted By: cnaggs Montana archery hunt - 02/24/15
I am planning a archery hunt for this coming sept and I am looking into units 560 and 393. Does anyone have any info on these areas they would care to share.
Posted By: cnaggs Re: Montana archery hunt - 03/02/15
Anyone have any experience in the crazy mountains?
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Montana archery hunt - 03/02/15
Yes.
Posted By: ribka Re: Montana archery hunt - 03/03/15
I deer hunt around the crazy mountains. It is tough getting access to a lot of the areas that hold elk due to privately held land. I would look to W MT. I know there are wolves but still quite a few elk there. Can you get out and scout this summer?
Posted By: ribka Re: Montana archery hunt - 03/03/15
I deer hunt around the crazy mountains. It is tough getting access to a lot of the areas that hold elk due to privately held land. I would look to W MT. I know there are wolves but still quite a few elk there. Can you get out and scout this summer?
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Montana archery hunt - 03/03/15
Take a look at 310. It's a guaranteed draw tag but you have to apply by march 16. There are some nice bulls in this unit and it has a lot of hikeable terrain where you won't need a horse. Then there's 311 that has over the counter general elk either sex until the end of November. Both units are near Big Sky and its almost all public land with multiple access points. Anywhere is SWMT would probably be your best bet. Also buy the wolf tag lots of guys see wolves while hunting the elk.
Posted By: cnaggs Re: Montana archery hunt - 03/04/15
Thanks for the info guys, timbermaster I will look into those areas as well thanks!
Posted By: Gansettx Re: Montana archery hunt - 03/05/15
Not to hi-jack this thread...but for the sake of not starting another...

I'm headed out for HD314 in September, what is the story with that area related to Elk and Deer?
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Montana archery hunt - 03/05/15
314 has a lot of private ranches that are now off limits to hunters (thanks .com millionaires). The public portions won't be crowded but you won't be alone. The elk herds in this area were mostly turned into wolf [bleep] recently. You still have a decent chance at a nice bull here it may take some hiking and serious glassing to get on one. But that's how it is everywhere near the park now. Do not be discouraged however the folks that get out there and hunt em hard have a good chance during bow season.
© 24hourcampfire