Home
Posted By: FoxTrotter AZ Elk Draw - 03/20/15
AZ starting hitting credit cards today for elk and speed goats. Good Luck!
Posted By: sheephunter2 Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/20/15
Yes they are smile
Posted By: huntinaz Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/21/15
I got hit!
Posted By: Enrique Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/21/15
yeppers! My buddy and I drew either unit 1 or 3a/3c Archery. Very excited!!!
Posted By: krp Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/21/15
Originally Posted by Enrique

Ah'oh...

Was hit for one tag, most likely Cheryl's cow tag but could be a 3c archery tag for me.

Kent
Posted By: azcoues Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/21/15
I didn't do the CC this year - just have to wait another 2 weeks to find out

congrats to all those whom get a tag
Posted By: sheephunter2 Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/21/15
Yup I got a muzzy tag for either 27 or 22 South. Probably 22 South. Anybody live in Payson?
22s I know it... Are you going guided?

Edit... 22s

Kent
Posted By: MikeS Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/21/15
Going to be a good September... either early rifle 23N bull or the first 7E Peaks Hunt Area any elk hunt!!!
Dunno Kent. Don't know 22S at all. I hunt elk a lot how hard is it to learn? What do you think?
It's not hard especially in the rut.

If you find out it's 22 and don't go guided I don't mind helping with areas and such or even a scouting trip.

Kent

I appreciate that Kent. I may take you up on it. Thanks.

Terry Marcum
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/22/15
I'm at 14 elk points now. Should be getting close.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/22/15
got hit, cow elk either 6B or 9

Sycamore
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/22/15

Time to get off your ass and get serious!
Posted By: BradB Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/22/15
Me and a buddy also drew archery unit 1 or 3ac. We should have been at 15 pts if my loyalty point was back on this year as they said it would be(wrote check for 3 cents not enough five years ago)
Posted By: krp Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/22/15
Originally Posted by BradB
Me and a buddy also drew archery unit 1 or 3ac. We should have been at 15 pts if my loyalty point was back on this year as they said it would be(wrote check for 3 cents not enough five years ago)

With 15 points you got you're first choice of those two units.

Kent
I think so also as last year 21% drew, never now about point creep and if I didn't get the point on this year's app we would average 14. Either way I am happy!
Posted By: Enrique Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/22/15
I had 16 and Steve had 4 so we averaged in at 10 and drew. Im betting it's unit 1 since it has 300 tags and we drew with 2 on the app.
BTW Kent, Steve wanted to kidnap you to get you to take us fishing, now I think we'll throw you in the truck so you can go scouting with your two favorite nephews and here some stories smile
If you averaged 10 I would be shocked if you drew 1 as I posted above last year only 21% drew with 13 pts, from memory it took at least 12 the year before. Again from memory I think 3 took 10 points last year
Oops sorry I am thinking non res!
My bad. Maybe we will see you there!
Posted By: Enrique Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/22/15
LOL that's ok. I'm just guessing because 3a3c only had 125 or 150 tags and 1 had 300 and we were both on the same app. Then again the way things turn out is always weird. Be nice if we drew the same tag as kent tho lol. the man can cook!
Be interesting if we draw the same tag
I had 16 and Steve had 4 so we averaged in at 10 and drew. Im betting it's unit 1 since it has 300 tags and we drew with 2 on the app.
BTW Kent, Steve wanted to kidnap you to get you to take us fishing, now I think we'll throw you in the truck so you can go scouting with your two favorite nephews and here some stories smile

Actually, last year 4995 apps for unit 1 archery... Residents were in the 20% pass draw with 12 bps and guaranteed a tag with 13. NRs were at 14 guarantee and 13 a chance before the 10% limit hit. That's a one point creep for unit 1 since I've been tracking the numbers starting in '08. But the creep is because of the 4995 apps, which is much higher/doubled since they upped the tags from 200 to 300, everyone had the same idea.

Conversely, 3ac lowered tag numbers to 150 from 200, residents were guaranteed a tag with 11 bps and had a shot at a tag in the 20& pass draw with 10. That's a full point creep down since '08. NRs stayed steady at 12.

So you weren't in the 20% pass for unit 1 but likely were in 3c. You could have missed a 3c tag in the 20% draw and then drew a 1 tag in the 80% general draw but that's slimmer odds.

We do need to get together, catch some fish, scout some country and kill some bulls.

Tio Kent
LOL that's ok. I'm just guessing because 3a3c only had 125 or 150 tags and 1 had 300 and we were both on the same app. Then again the way things turn out is always weird. Be nice if we drew the same tag as kent tho lol. the man can cook!
Be interesting if we draw the same tag

I have 10 bps also, but I put Cheryl in for a rifle bull then cow second. So odds are she drew a cow tag since we only got one hit.

Kent
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/22/15
I'm not going to check my card, I'll just wait. I applied for 23N so not holding out much hope.
The 13 points needed sounds low since I have two buddies that have 15 an 16 and did NOT draw last year. We will see if they get a tag this year. I think you need 25 points for an early rifle tag crazy
Archery not rifle.

Kent
Last year you needed 19 bps to be guaranteed a early rifle and at in 1 or 3ac.

Kent
Posted By: Sycamore Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/22/15
I can't wait 19 years to hunt elk, especially when the horns make such [bleep] soup! laugh

Sycamore
Posted By: HaYen Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/22/15
I purchased a point this year with the intent of doing two Deer hunts this year. Family member got drawn after 14 years of trying. Either Unit 10 or 1 for rifle bull. So I guess I'll be going on 1 deer hunt and 1 Trophy Bull hunt this year.

We saw a monster bull on the Big Bo during last year's archery hunt just couldn't get close enough. Maybe this year the 338 can reach out and touch one.
Originally Posted by krp
Archery not rifle.

Kent
I thought they put 23N archery for second choice.
Posted By: John_Gregori Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/22/15
Would my friend who applied as a non-resident with zero points have a chance at drawing either elk or Pronghorn this year?
Depends on the hunt.

I'd say no on antelope.

Only 10% of tags per hunt can go NR. Elk there are a few early archery tags, some late rifle tags, most late archery tags and cow tags that will have not hit the NR limit in the 20% max draw for high bps holders and fall to the 80% general draw.

I'd have to know what hunt numbers and order to say.

Kent
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/22/15
Put in for unit 1 early rifle with 17 points hope to get lucky............
Posted By: 1Longbow Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/23/15
I put in for all bull tags and got hit with only 3 points ,I'm a happy guy!
Posted By: azelkhuntr Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/23/15
Looks like 5a early rifle or early archery bull for me
Posted By: willflow Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/23/15
Waiting for the old man to check his card. He's non res so it will be interesting.
Posted By: willflow Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/25/15
Anyone know if non residents get taged first last or neither? Still no hit on my dads card.
Posted By: BradB Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/25/15
Just going from what I have seen in post, I would say they hit them at the same time. I have seen a couple still rolling in but it may just be new draws after people got rejected
Posted By: krp Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/25/15
From the past it seems they hit them all fast, but some venues don't post transactions fast. One year I wasn't sure I'd have the same account by draw time so I purchased a visa gift card just to apply. Took 4 days after cards were hit to post that I was hit. I got tag number 9 from 40, so I was the first to draw after the 20% pass in the general draw, it wasn't a next in line tag.

If it's an account that posts transactions immediate odds are no tag drawn originally.

Kent
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/25/15

Looks like my cc got hit! Should be a 27 late bull tag for my son. He had 8 NR points.
Posted By: tacgnut Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/26/15
One of my kids drew a youth hunt in 4A, both are first time in the draw.

Anyone get a goat tag"
Posted By: HaYen Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/26/15
For non-residents:

First Pass (20% Bonus Point)

Twenty percent of authorized hunt permit-tags in each hunt number for deer, antelope, elk, turkey, javelina, and spring bear may be issued in this pass. Twenty percent of the total authorized hunt permit-tags (all hunt numbers combined) for both bighorn sheep and buffalo may be issued. Although 20 percent are available, the 10% nonresident caps are still in effect.

To find the full post, Click here
Posted By: willflow Re: AZ Elk Draw - 03/27/15
Talked to GFD this morning and was told they are not finished yet. She wouldn't tell me anything about status.
Posted By: BradB Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/07/15
results are on the phone line. I drew unit 1 archery!
Posted By: Enrique Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/07/15
I drew first choice 3a3c archery. 125 tags and my best friend and I got 2 of them. Very excited, now the homework can begin.
Posted By: krp Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/07/15
Too bad you don't know someone that can call for you...

Cheryl drew 3a3c rifle cow.

Kent
Posted By: Enrique Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/07/15
We have an adopted uncle named Kent from the valley that is pretty good and knows that area. We may give him a call or just go pick him up so Steve can tell him stories. smile
Posted By: krp Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/07/15
We'll probably get kicked out of Heber... again...

I'm bringing duct tape for his mouth if we want to go to town and eat.

Tio Kent
Posted By: 1Longbow Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/07/15
5A Rifle bull for me!
Posted By: GregW Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/08/15
Wife drew late rifle cow unit 23.
Posted By: Jeffpg Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/08/15
I drew archery elk permit # 000001 in unit 3A-3C

happyhappyhappy!!!
Posted By: krp Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/08/15
Originally Posted by Jeffpg

happyhappyhappy!!!

You were top bonus point holder for that hunt.

Kent
Posted By: azelkhuntr Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/08/15
Me and my crew drew 4 of the 24 early rifle bull tags in 5a with 4 bonus points
Posted By: Blackbrush Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/09/15
You guys know your stuff it seems. My buddy and I drew non-res late season 22N tags. We weren't expecting it and now we're nervous about drawing possibly in a couple other places we ARE expecting to draw in. Can you spend too much time hunting elk? The research scramble begins...
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/10/15
The red onion awaits.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/10/15

Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Looks like my cc got hit! Should be a 27 late bull tag for my son. He had 8 NR points.

Confirmed. Permit #9.

So now that he drew, it looks like he get a loyalty bonus point?
Posted By: BradB Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/10/15
he gets a loyalty after 5 years straight of applying. Miss one and you loose it, tell you get 5 in a row again
Posted By: Jeffpg Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by Jeffpg

happyhappyhappy!!!

You were top bonus point holder for that hunt.

Kent

That I was Kent.

I would've applied for the tag last year but had to wait due to my work schedule. I was pretty sure I'd draw it. Now I'm stoked that I did. It should really be a fun hunt.

I'd truly love to hear from anyone who has drawn this unit in the past. I have a great outfitter and don't actually seek help as much as I'd simply enjoy hearing about your experience!
Posted By: krp Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/11/15
Average 3C archery bull... 2008

Buddy of mine that run hounds and has guided rifle elk hunts drew 3C archery. He figured if he drew he'd get his guiding friends to go with him, unfortunately one had drawn the same tag and was hunting a different area and the rest had paying clients. He asked if I could call for him, as it wasn't his forte.

Sure, I had my trailer up there already.

Another guy on a local site had a 12 year old son with a late rifle tag. I was giving him some info on that hunt, he said he also drew a 3C archery tag. His first elk tag ever. I told him I really couldn't give him a honey hole but some general good areas. He was going to camp a mile from us. I visited him and his crew there, we exchanged numbers in case either got a bull down and needed help.

We hunted 5 days hard, had some call ins, most smaller than he wanted. He had two shot opportunities on great bulls. First he shot over and said a branch deflected, another we had two bulls going apechit over a rise, I sent him over while I moved and cow called to keep their attention. Bulls are bugling nonstop, I can't see but here comes my buddy. I shrug at him, why are you coming back, the elk are still right there screaming. He shows me his bow and it takes a second for me to realize he has no arrows left... He shot all six and missed... he was deadly on a target.

Killing is 90% mental and I've seen it before.

He had to go back to town for wed/thursday then come back thur evening.

I went by the other guy's camp to see how they were doing. He wasn't having any luck and his crew was leaving for the week. I told him I was available wed and thur if he wanted to hunt with me. He said hell ya. I had to go into town for supplies wed morning and told him to meet me at my trailer at 2:30 wed afternoon.

Andy showed up and we went over where and what he had been doing. He had some bugling bulls in an area but never could get to them. I knew the area and it was OK. I suggested before we went there we hit one of my favorite spots with an old hidden burn. The spot I was hunting with Mike was a couple miles away and so active I didn't think we would hunt this hole. I told Andy we would give it a half hour and if it didn't pan out quick we would go to his area. He had said he wanted a 350 bull...

Standing on the ridge above the creek and bedding area I point out a wallow to Andy, hit one squeal and immediately get an answering bugle below... 3 in the afternoon.

We drop in and work around the bedding area to not blow them out, and work to the old burn where they filter out to feed from their beds.

The wind changes and blows right into the thick stuff.

Crap!

We are on the edge of the burn in some jack pines, I make a call and nothing. Time to get the hell out of there.

We start to leave, move 50 yards back into the trees and Andy say's, there's cows moving out over there. Sure enough some cows were feeding into the burn a couple hundred yards away.

I tell him to run back to the burn edge and I'll call back in the trees.

I cow call and two bulls blowup right under me in the creek, another growls from where the cows are.

Andy looks at me and I wave him back to me and he runs.

As soon as he gets there I call and both bulls explode again just under us. One walks over the rise and racks a jackpine 40 yards away then walks back down when the other lets out a bugle. Andy had drawn back but didn't have enough time or decent shot.

He looked at me with big eyes. I flash a 3 and 2 with my fingers to say, 320 bull. He mouthed I'll take him... game on!

Run, to that tree he just racked.

Andy got there and I could tell he could see each bull and he moved his head from one to the other and was ranging them.

I started cow calling with earnest and they blewup at me and each other. I could see a rack above the jacks coming right at me and Andy was perfectly broadside. The rack stopped and Andy ranged then drew back and shot.

I heard a crack, and knew he hit a log.

The bull wheeled back down and I hammered the call. He came back on a string, right to me. I could only see his rack.

Andy ranged, drew back and shot... I heard a solid thunk.

The rack slowly moved off and I saw it go in circles and finally lay down in the jackpines. Andy couldn't see from his spot.

Andy came over and was shaking. I asked him how hw felt about the shot. He wasn't sure especially after missing the first. I told him to drink some water and we'll give it time to go look for blood. He's relating the whole episode again and again, calming down.

I say, let's go look at your bull... he just stared at me.

It went 40 yards from where it was shot, double lung pass through, dead as a doornail.

Andy said... when you said 30 minutes you meant it...

Kent

[Linked Image]
Posted By: flagstaff Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/11/15
Originally Posted by azelkhuntr
Me and my crew drew 4 of the 24 early rifle bull tags in 5a with 4 bonus points

Very cool, Will. congrats!

I drew an archery antelope tag in 11M.

15 years old nephew drew a 23N trophy bull with one point. How the heck does that happen!?!?!?!?
Posted By: azelkhuntr Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/15/15
Wow thats cool theo thats a better tag than we got
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/15/15
That 3C hunt is a great unit to kill a 350 class bull. Not a great unit to kill a 400 class bull. We saw one bull last year in the 380-400" range and at least 15 350s. I have no idea what the antler expectations are for this year. We are having red flag days already!
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/15/15
Oh, and my 9 BPs didn't get me the 23N tag I wanted...
Posted By: krp Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/16/15
I didn't draw 23N or 3C with 10 points... lol

I should draw 3C next year or for sure the year after. If I want the 23 tag I'll have to stop putting in 3C. Drawing one of the 3 20% pass tags will depend on what other high BP applicants apply any given year.

3C next year will depend on what we see on Enrique's hunt this year.

Kent
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/16/15
That's true.
Posted By: Jeffpg Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/16/15
Originally Posted by krp
I didn't draw 23N or 3C with 10 points... lol

I should draw 3C next year or for sure the year after. If I want the 23 tag I'll have to stop putting in 3C. Drawing one of the 3 20% pass tags will depend on what other high BP applicants apply any given year.

3C next year will depend on what we see on Enrique's hunt this year.

Kent

He's gonna kill a monster...
Posted By: krp Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/16/15
He'll probably shoot the first spike I call in...

Kent
Posted By: Enrique Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/16/15
LMAO. No spikes this year. First few days I wanna hunt for 350 plus unless a 320ish bull comes within range. Then again that depends on what we see scouting and during the hunt.
then again if I have to wait till the last day to kill, a spike might not look so bad lol
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/17/15
I will tackle him if he tries to shoot a spike- I had to do that to a buddy two years ago in unit 9 on an early rifle hunt. He would have shot a rag but I pulled him over backwards and told him no. He ended up shooting a small 6x6 while I was evaluating it with my binos anyway.
Posted By: Enrique Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/17/15
Hahahaha
Posted By: krp Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/17/15
2010 had a hunter with a 3C archery tag. He had one tag before in unit 1, was with an outfitter and killed a decent bull. He's a neighbor of a friend, called to find out if I'd take him after hearing my friend brag me up, sure why not.

He wanted a 350+ this time, a little bigger. Last time he was handled by two guides, one calling and the other whispering in his ear. They didn't call many in and lucked out on the bull he killed, it walked right by them as they were moving, they saw him first and ambushed him.

I'm not a big numbers guy, if you like the way a bull looks... shoot it... but OK, I know what a 350 bull looks like.

I told him I won't be standing next to him whispering and he'll have to decide on the shot.

He was going to have to learn to judge size on the go.

First morning I'm calling and a bull's coming in from way off. He ended up being an old regression bull, had a big main frame but no fifths, not broken, just none, which made his tops look like huge whale tails at first. He was getting close to Vince before I could see him good and waved off the shot. Vince wasn't sure what I was waving so I stood up and told that bull to git.

Couple days later we could have killed that bull for an hour while he tried to steal cows away from a bull a hundred yards away we couldn't get close to.

Had 12 killable call ins the first seven days and more call ups but no shot. None of the call ins were quite big enough.

Funniest was when I was calling and a 300ish bull comes to me with Vince behind. I lay down so Vince can see him. I look over at Vince and he is plastered to a ponderosa with a spike peeking around at him, nose about a foot away. Vince lets out a squeak on the mouth call he was practicing with. Bulls are jumping, Vince is jumping, I'm chit'n a brick laughing... the spike is staring at him 10 yards away and slowly walks back where he came from.

Vince, did you see the bigger bull?

What? uhhh no.

Vince.

What?

Welcome to the petting zoo...

7th evening we went to a great spot but is above a huge canyon so we had been avoiding it. Bulls were going crazy early afternoon. just over the edge and ready to come up to feed soon. A beautiful bull walks under us about 60 yards and stops, looking down where a herd bull is bugling. We can see his back and head fine but need him to move up over the rise just a little. I hit a cow mew and he hauls ass without even looking at us. Every elk is different, had his butt kicked already probably.

We waited for the herd to come up but they didn't before dark, stayed down in screaming at other bulls. We had a 330/40ish bull next to us the last hour, he knew we were there calling but he didn't care. Vince was still hyped about the other bull and the one just under us bugling.

Next morning we go back in, bulls are screaming everywhere, more than one herd mingled.

I get to a spot and look over the edge and cows are coming up with a bull in tow, thick so I can't judge much. I set Vince up on top and move back to call. They boil over the edge right on top of us. Stop to look around and then the cows start slowly walking by, the bull standing close to Vince. I see he's palmated on top, big bull that can kick some ass but won't score. We've turned down better, time to go check the other bugles close.

Pstttttt, whack... I see an arrow hit him way low, maybe in the leg as it flopped and fell out. I hammer the call and he stops, I hear another arrow shot but don't see a hit. The bull starts off and I call, he turns back to the edge 20 yards away and I'm really calling. He goes 10 yards and lays down, coughs a couple times and that's it. He died less than 20 yards from where shot.

I'm in shock that it happened but ok, I'm looking at Vince and he at me, I think he was surprised too... and that 330 bull walks over the edge bugling, goes and sniffs the dead bull, then stands close to Vince bugling some more, other bulls are still close and screaming.

Vince's first shot almost missed under but angled enough up to get the heart, his second he didn't get it attached to the string right and it went 20 feet.

Giving the bull a little time we walked a hundred yards and a herd was walking by, we were just standing there in the open, cows at 20 yards look at us as they passed, herd bull crab walking and screaming at 4 rags following. He was big.

Vince, what do you think of that bull and shot?

I F'ed up!

Well, your bull's unique, let's go get him out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/19/15
That stuff happens a lot. It gets a LOT of adrenalin flowing when a bull is screaming his guts out 50 yards away. No video can prepare you for it. Bring baby wipes for the first couple of days is all I can say!
Posted By: krp Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/19/15
Most shots, you have 5 to 10 seconds to decide when that bull is finally 'right there', cause soon he's not going to be anymore.

Most the time it's been hours, days, even a week of almosts... one more step, stay there, turn, elk chase, F'n wind, F'n cows, F'n scouters, Damn raghorn that is like a mosquito constantly hanging on you... F'n squirrels...

And then it's there, the bull and a shot. The reality of it can surprise you, all those almosts can distract you.

Killing is 90% mental, the ability to change from hunting to killing in 5 seconds. That 5 seconds can be an eternity of a clear mind, smooth draw, concentrated aim and release.

Or it can be an instant of confused thoughts, hurried motions and flung arrow.

Kent
Posted By: krp Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/19/15
Enrique, Steve and I went fishing today at black river. Fishing was poor, I don't think it's recovered yet from the Wallow fire.

We did catch a few, and discussed their elk hunt coming up.

It'll be fun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/19/15
That sucks about Black River. I went bear hunting! Last hoorah for spring bear. Only saw rabbits and deer!
Posted By: azcoues Re: AZ Elk Draw - 04/20/15
no tags for me this yr but my wife drew a Muzzy bull tag for unit 10-

hell I might be able to tag out on my own land -
© 24hourcampfire