Home
Posted By: StudDuck Average shooting distance - 04/25/15
I realize that I'm painting with a very broad brush and the answers will vary greatly, but I'd like to know the average distance in which your taking elk with a rifle.

If it's not too much to ask, please include the distance of your closest rifle kill, distance of your longest rifle kill, the average kill distance and the state and type of terrain you're hunting.

Idaho, very open terrain. Often see elk at 1/2 to 1 mile or farther.
Shortest distance, maybe 50 yds. Longest, 350. Average, 100 to 150.
I've never shot one in black timber. Mine have all been in the open or along edges as they're moving in and out of the timber. If you bump them out of black timber, they won't quit running for 5 miles and they won't be back.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Average shooting distance - 04/25/15
I have shot a several at 10-15 yards and one out at almost 400, but most have been between 125 and 175 yards. The last time I averaged shots from my field notes, the average was 147 yards. The three that I have killed since then wouldn't affect that number very much, if at all.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Average shooting distance - 04/25/15
First one was ranged at exactly 400 yards. The shortest distance was 72 long steps. The other three fell somewhere in between.
200 yds or less.
42 closest, 430 longest. Average is around 180
I think I have shot maybe four elk past 200 yards. The rest have been less than 125 yards. Most are in the 60-70 yard range.
Posted By: JimR Re: Average shooting distance - 04/25/15
Average distance is under 200 yards, probably somewhere between 150-175 yards.
Posted By: 340mag Re: Average shooting distance - 04/25/15
Average distance is WELL under 200 yards, probably somewhere between 80-120 yards,and keep in mind if the average is lets say 100 yards theres a bunch of 40-50 yard shots to average in with the few rather rare 190-270 yard shots.
yeah! all the magazine articles I read make it seem like 400-700 yard shots are normal, but obviously the area you hunt has a huge effect on your average opportunity for even seeing an elk. elk are not stupid, during the first few hours of hunting pressure they rapidly travel to steep, remote or well wooded cover, thats less pressured to avoid most huntersyes I'm sure theres areas in CO. and WY. where youll get longer shots, but I darn sure have used a 358 win, 340 wby 35 whelen,and 375H&H a whole lot more under 200 yards than over that distance.
a couple years back we had a club meeting and we took a brief survey and in 30 plus years not a single member had even had the opportunity to see or shoot at any elk out at 300 yards, most were shot at an average ranges closer to 120 yards which means a good amount were shot at 30-60 yards in the thick timber
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Id also point out that several times Ive helped guys pack out elk they shot at "350-500 yards" what when we paced out the place they shot from to the dead elk sure , took less paces and the guys held dead on with a 2" high at 100 yard zero and the bullets miraculously, shot remarkably flat! needed no hold over to hit near the aim point , even with a 358 win or 180 grain 308 win
Posted By: Naphtali Re: Average shooting distance - 04/25/15
Unless something has changed, Bugle publishes yearly a survey taken among successful elk hunters, I believe, at an annual convention.

As I recall, the average distance for all in the survey from all elk-hunting states ranges from 110-130 yards. What this means in reality is people who enjoy target shooting at live [elk] targets at ranges dramatically exceeding 200 yards are in a distinct minority - thank goodness.

Others conclusions or deductions might include: many older firearms and cartridges will do a more than adequate job; muzzleloader hunting is a reasonable option, and probably more fun; more attention could be paid to watching with wider view binocular, and stalking with wind in your face; in learning about elks' food and cover preferences during the hunting season; and on, and on.

Final hint: Using Craig Boddington's rifle will not make you a good hunter. Too many hunters waste too much money buying advertising hyperbole.

Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I realize that I'm painting with a very broad brush and the answers will vary greatly, but I'd like to know the average distance in which your taking elk with a rifle.

If it's not too much to ask, please include the distance of your closest rifle kill, distance of your longest rifle kill, the average kill distance and the state and type of terrain you're hunting.

Posted By: Dre Re: Average shooting distance - 04/25/15
last 3 were less then 100 yards
Posted By: KC Re: Average shooting distance - 04/25/15

I've shot 33 elk.

On three different occasions, I shot bulls that were about 30 yards away. Two were running.

Longest was too far away for the range finder to get a fix on a good reflective object. I guessed that it was about 500 yards. I watched him casually grazing for about 15 minutes. It took that long to dope it out. Shot twice and hit him twice.

Most kills have been between 150 and 200 yards.

I live in Colorado where terrain is mountainous, usually heavily treed with some occasional meadows. I like hunting in aspen groves.

KC

Posted By: ADNA Re: Average shooting distance - 04/25/15
closest was 20 yards, longest about 300 yards. Most were 40 to 75 yards
Posted By: bwinters Re: Average shooting distance - 04/26/15
I hunt primarily in Colorado for elk, tend to hunt small openings in aspens next to black timber and in the black timber itself at elevations between 8500 and 10,500 feet. I've shot 4 bulls in the past 6 years - closest was ~ 30 yards in the timber, farthest was ~ 225 across a small aspen meadow. The avg has been ~ 100 yards.

Since I started chasing elk seriously about 9-10 years ago, I've had shot opportunities every year, some years the shot comes together, some years it doesn't. Twice I've had shots that I wasn't comfortable with mostly due to distance and wind. Far and away most elk I see are between 75 and 200 yards - mostly because thats how I set myself up. I make that point because I think the terrain and hunting style determine your length of shots. I love to sit and glass. I normally do so with the intention of finding out where elk are going and to set myself up in their way on a future date. As a result, most elk I see are within reasonable shooting distance when I see them.
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Average shooting distance - 04/26/15
My closest shot was approx. 125 yards. My longest shot was close to 225 yards. My average shot is about 175 yards. We hunt elk in Bear Lodge Mts. of Wyoming. I've had very good luck with my Savage lever gun in .308 shooting 180 grain core-lokt ammo.

Sherwood
Posted By: handwerk Re: Average shooting distance - 04/26/15
I've shot 4 elk in 7 years of chasing them, it's pretty open country so there isn't much sneaking to get closer.....the distances were:

Posted By: bea175 Re: Average shooting distance - 04/26/15
I have shot and killed six Elk , four bulls and two cows shortest distant around fifty yards longest five hundred ten yards on the range finder
Posted By: pointer Re: Average shooting distance - 04/26/15
I've only shot 3 elk and all 3 where right around 300yds. Nearly double my average shot distance on pronghorn...
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Average shooting distance - 04/26/15

The interesting thing about elk hunting is the success rate is around 17%. Of that 17%, probably 80% of those hunters kill elk regularly. That can account for closer shots as elk are darned familiar with there environment and just walking up on a wild elk isn't likely. Successful elk hunters know how to kill elk.

I hunt elk in timber, mountainous areas and open country. I shoot elk when I see them, the distance has varied from 60 yards to over 600 yards. I have also found that you can't eat anything you don't kill so limiting my elk hunting to just bulls isn't something I do.

I would guess that all things considered, I have taken around 10-12 elk at 450 yards to 660 yards, 15-20 at under 100 yards and 35-40 between 100-350 yards...
From 43 to 430 yards. Most under 200 as a few were archery harvests.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Average shooting distance - 04/26/15
I kill six elk out of seven trips from TN to Colorado on Public Land . I beat the odds six times .
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Average shooting distance - 04/26/15
First one was shot at 48 yards. I practiced all summer on a 600 yard range because we know all elk are shot from one zip code to another. Others have been clean out to 260-275 yards. Like everyone else, tgat 100-150 yard window seems to be the average. That being said, every shot I've taken has appeared to be much longer than it appears..thank God for rangefinders.
Posted By: TAGLARRY Re: Average shooting distance - 04/26/15
My main elk gun is a 1960 Remington 721 with the original Weaver 4x scope so I don't even consider long shots. My 3 rifle elk have been killed at 100 yards, 30 yards, and 100 yards. They were all on public land in Colorado in unit 23 / 24.

I had one other elk with a bow, last year, at 20 yards in Colorado on private land.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Average shooting distance - 04/26/15
Elk #1...New Mexico....175 yds....pretty open
Elk #2...New Zealand...110 yds....totally open
Elk #3...Wyoming.......154 yds....totally open
Elk #4...Wyoming........27 yds....self defense!

donsm70
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Average shooting distance - 04/27/15
I appreciate all the replies.

Some time ago, I asked about the caliber rifles everyone was using and the distance they covered in a day. Between that thread and this one, I've learned the following (which was my goal): As mentioned above, elk aren't shot from one zip code to another and I don't need a 416 Rigby to kill an elk.

I'm from East of the Mississippi, and some hunters from the East sure have some funny notions about what it takes to kill a large animal. It reminds me of someone's sig line on the fire; Joe Average is over head stamped, over scoped and under bulleted......that about sums it up.

I've got a BIL that hunts Saskatchewan regularly and the outfitter recommends a 300Win Mag and up. I asked him if the deer preyed on humans and wore body armor up North. ;-)
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Average shooting distance - 04/27/15
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The interesting thing about elk hunting is the success rate is around 17%. Of that 17%, probably 80% of those hunters kill elk regularly. That can account for closer shots as elk are darned familiar with there environment and just walking up on a wild elk isn't likely. Successful elk hunters know how to kill elk.

I hunt elk in timber, mountainous areas and open country. I shoot elk when I see them, the distance has varied from 60 yards to over 600 yards. I have also found that you can't eat anything you don't kill so limiting my elk hunting to just bulls isn't something I do.

I would guess that all things considered, I have taken around 10-12 elk at 450 yards to 660 yards, 15-20 at under 100 yards and 35-40 between 100-350 yards...

Wow, that's a lot of elk!
How many elk licenses a year do you get?
11 bulls, mainly hunting the Cascade range in Oregon. Pretty thick.

Closest, 40 yards, farthest, 125 yards, average under 100 yards.

P
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Average shooting distance - 04/27/15
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Wow, that's a lot of elk!
How many elk licenses a year do you get?

You need a license?
I've taken almost 40 elk. The closet kill was about 15 feet, the farthest was only a tad over 100 yards. Most of my rifle kills have been under 30 yards.
Mine have all been no further than 125 yards. Only about five elk though. I hope to get to hunt elk for 40-50 more years!
145, 410, 300.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Average shooting distance - 04/28/15
I can only recall one long kill (350 yards) that I chose while hunting the way I typically hunt. In that instance I was probably too eager and I think I'd have found it more rewarding if I'd made the effort to move closer and earn it.

I've killed 15 elk at about 100 yards distance. The shortest being probably 60 yards or so. These are all DIY, public land, usually close to timberline or above. Those type are the most rewarding to me.

I've killed five more on either damage control hunts or ranches. Those were always at lower altitude, longer shots (long for me), and in nearly every instance I was urged to take the long shot by the hunt coordinator or ranch staff. The longest shot was at 496 at the urging of the ranch staff. I didn't like it. To me it didn't really feel as much fair chase or as sporting as I'd have liked. Being a private ranch I thought there was opportunity to get closer with some added effort but it was their ranch and their rules.
My closest elk was probably 35-50 yards.. Hunting in a mix of aspen and pine.. I mostly hunt very open country.. When I was much younger and meat was a very important part of our economy, I shot several elk at around 600 yards.. Then for a number of years, I had a sweet spot that probably produced 10-12 elk most were shot between 300 and 425 yards.. It was an evening spot, I could get too after work.. I always had a dead rest, and standing shot.. In those days before turrets and range finders, a flat shoot rifle was very important to my success..
I would say in the last years, most of my elk have been about 250 yards give or take a bit.. Last year was the longest shot I have taken for a while I think I guessed it at about 425 to 450.. Used a .375 and 260 Accubond.. Would have been better
off with one of my .300's that trip.. Don't have my notes with me right now, but many of the elk I did measure fairly close..
I do know I hope to cap the 50th one this fall, or maybe next..
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Average shooting distance - 04/28/15
Most of my kills have been bow under 40-yards, but my one rifle kill was 75-yards. Too thick where I hunt to shoot past 200-yards as many have said.
5 bulls and 5 cows in 14 years - closest 11 yards twisted back pointing rifle almost one handed and way back from the scope. Longest 350 yards moving bull dead on his feet already but headed for private boundary.

I figured my average out to about 270 yards only 2 real close shots the rest between 250-300. I practice out to 700 yards getting ready but try to set up for 300 yards cross canyon when sitting in open country.
Closest with rifle 30 feet, farthest was 376 yds. Average distance around 100 yds.

Live and hunt North Idaho. This is logging country, its either dog hair thick, or cut flat and burnt black.
304 yards is my average of 9 elk. Shortest was about 30, longest was 553. I really don't seek out the long shots on purpose, it just kind of shakes out that way. All in western CO, most with my .300RUM. Most were spot and stalk, I'm not good at hunting the thick stuff.
The terrain I hunt varies from heavy brush or timber to light cover to open sage, The change can occur within a few steps.

Closest has been about 40 yards, excluding finishers where an elk got back up but didn't move, in which case about 10 feet.

Farthest was 487 yards, followed by 1 at 400, 1 at 350 and everything else at or under 300.

Average of all others? Probably 150-ish.
Posted By: BuzzH Re: Average shooting distance - 04/30/15
Out of 60 I've shot:

Closest 11 yards
Farthest 629 yards

Average: 153.35 yards
There was a similar thread not too long ago, IIRC most elk were shot @ between 150- 200yds. So why do I need a super uber magnum again??????????
Posted By: GuyM Re: Average shooting distance - 04/30/15
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Out of 60 I've shot:

Closest 11 yards
Farthest 629 yards

Average: 153.35 yards

Sixty elk... That's a pretty fair number. Congrats!

Guy
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Average shooting distance - 04/30/15
I've only shot 8, average range almost exactly 200 yards. The closest two at 25 and 23 yards and the two farthest at 350 and 475 yards. All were taken with a .30/06 and a handload featuring the 180 Accubond and H-4350 at essentially factory standard velocities.
Posted By: Tally_Ho Re: Average shooting distance - 05/01/15
Wyoming 200 yds
Idaho 240 yds
Wyoming 22 yds
Arizona 440 yds
Arizona 120 yds
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
There was a similar thread not too long ago, IIRC most elk were shot @ between 150- 200yds. So why do I need a super uber magnum again??????????

You don't. Instead of an uber-mag you need a rifle you can shoot well. If you shoot your uber-mag well there is little or no downside to using it.
Posted By: slymule Re: Average shooting distance - 05/01/15
Probably shot at least 35-40 head of elk, never really bothered keeping track of the number. Probably 70% of them have been cows to fill the freezer with, my closest shot being about 20 yards away and my longest shot being 879 yards away. The greatest number of them being between 200-400 yards. This has all been in Colorado, I tend to like hunting big open parks or walking ridges where I can look across canyons easily. Most have been taken with flat shooting rifles, started with a .270, that quickly got replaced with a 7mag, that got replaced with a .300 Ultra Mag, and I now waver between my 7mmSTW and my .338Edge.
Posted By: kawi Re: Average shooting distance - 05/02/15
Inside of 250 yds more than a couple less than a few..
Two elk under my belt. First one at 225 and second one around 275. Don't keep track of shooting distances much so these are estimates.
Posted By: kcm270 Re: Average shooting distance - 05/03/15
Closest 25 yards. Farthest 519, measured.

Average, around 300 yards. I'm up to 25 elk, but haven't kept stats. For years I shot at one ridge from the other, watching an escape route. Closest shots would be about 300, but it was reliable.

Longest running shot, 270. Longest offhand 268.
Posted By: Leadboy Re: Average shooting distance - 05/03/15
170, 135, 110, 160. 180 gr SST@ 200 yd Zero, 300 WM, 3 not more than 5 deg of incline from horizontal, one at 30 degree/110 yards, one shot on all, one pass through...
Posted By: PWN Re: Average shooting distance - 05/06/15
8 elk killed in Colorado. Longest shot 411 yards. Shortest 65 yards. Average 156.27 yards. The one long shot adds a few yards to the average.

Perry
Posted By: GuyM Re: Average shooting distance - 05/06/15
That's a long shot, 411 yards. Would bump the average up a tad eh?

Guy
Posted By: Elkmen Re: Average shooting distance - 05/30/15
In slightly over 50 years of hunting elk the distances have varied from feet to a measured 540 yards. I hunt an average of two western states annually with canyons and meadows. It seems as though I am either standing on them or prone setting up across canyon. I have kept a loose record, and would say my average is around 300 yards. Nearest was in Idaho in the middle 90's at 17 and 22 yards, farthest measured, Oregon 540 in 2011, a longer one was killed in Idaho but that was prior to my purchase of a range finder in the late 80's.
I love hunting the timber, so my shots are pretty close. Longest around 125yds, and the shortest about 25yds. Average is 50-60 yds.

That's why I can get away with using a 30-30, or a muzzleloader.

I scratch my long range itch by shooting coyotes.
© 24hourcampfire