Home
Posted By: mbhunt Unit 10 Az early rifle tactics - 06/12/15
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but use others. I like a lot of the posts and banter that I've seen while lurking. I am hunting unit 10 DIY this year and wanted to hear others experience with this hunt. I've talked to a few guys so far and I've gotten a couple of ideas. The most popular seems to be driving before light listening for bugles and going after the one that you like the sounds of. Anyone had this hunt and would like to chime in? PM me if you want. Thanks!
Nothing like an E-scouter.
Thanks for nice post. Hope I didn't ruin your day.
Nope, no sweat off my nuts.

you know your escouting and thats a fact jack.
So when you try to engage others that have had that hunt, on a forum about that type of hunting, that's a bad thing? WTF is the forum for? I'm asking about different methods not someone's honey hole. I promise I won't come to Tennessee and steal any of your great elk spots.
Originally Posted by mbhunt
The most popular seems to be driving before light listening for bugles and going after the one that you like the sounds of.

and your a road hunter to boot.
IMPRESSIVE I
Maybe you ought to look into the area and talk to some people who know how to hunt elk there before you type.
Maybe you ought to go put some rubber on the ground before you start asking stupid questions, as in go scouting! On foot.
No, I just plan on showing up on opening day with a print out of all the posts I get. Maybe I can find a 100 acre food plot somewhere in the unit.
Somehow i believe that.
good luck, something tells me you wont fill your tag.
lol. What a dick.
Im not the one asking how to elk hunt.
SMH. I'm done. Your superior wit has gotten the best of me.
Good luck on your elk hunt.

You'll NEED it.
Thanks! I'll send my pics to the Mall Cop office so you can see them!
I'll tell you what, being the nice guy that i am i will give you some advice.
log on to CouesWhitetail.com and go to the elk hunting forum and ask word for word the very same question.
let me know how it turns out.
So why do YOU care? I've done plenty of forum stuff, I know the drill. I wasn't asking for some secret info, just trying to engage some people who have hunted the area to exchange ideas. It's a once in a lifetime type tag so people have been good at giving tips and things to try. Of course there will be "boots on the ground" but it makes sense to do some intel work before that. If you don't have or don't want to share info just move on.
Pretty sad, a flop like you gets a great tag and dont know the first thing to do with it.
theres guys waiting most their lives for that tag and will probably never get it, but cornholes like you do.
i predict you will be unsuccessful in your hunt.
what a waste of a great tag.

And plus you dont have any ides to exchange concerning that unit or hunt, your trying to glean info pure and simple.

Now, do what you promised and leave.
Of course I'm trying to glean info genius. I haven't hunted this unit before. I have hunted plenty of others, just not this one. I didn't say I was leaving, I was just done with you but like a hang nail it's hard not to notice it.
Road hunting in 10 is rampant. I don't apply in that unit anymore.
And mbhunt is a road hunter, go figure.
Originally Posted by mbhunt
Of course I'm trying to glean info genius. I haven't hunted this unit before.

but you said you wanted to exchance ideas, what again do you have to offer?
Road hunting techniques? Sorry couldn't resist!
I'd say you nailed it.
Put the SOB on "ignore" and go on.
MPhunt, sorry i can't help you with early rifle tactics, never had a nice tag like that one. But yeah, do what Ben said, just ignore the pajama-man. The way he's talking he's likely an old disgruntled member of this site, working under another name. New members aren't usually that obnoxious right off the bat. New or old, either way he's a likely a hillbilly. And brand new member Peeshooter appears to have been e-scouting for unit 10 and his search brought him to this thread, now he's encouraging the pajama-man troll to keep up him game. Ignore them and good luck on your hunt.
No, just hate escouters thats all.
Hey 270jrk, ASSumptions aren't your strong suit.
IF you had experience in unit 10 you'd be pissed about the road hunters too. Sorry but I've burned my tags in 10. No more for me.
Unit 10 advice, get away from the roads, its hard. Kaibab is probably you're best bet but Tin House up north in the unit is worth checking out, elk right out in the open in antelope country. Just please, no road hunting.
Peeshooter, my bad for assumptions, although this whole stupid thread is based off pajama-mans assumptions that MPhunt is a road hunter and the type of person that ruins other people's hunts. And you appeared to be egging him on, I didn't mean to come off too rude. I always figured that if a road hunter ruined someone's hunt, they aren't far enough from a road themselves. At least you had some advice for the dude, and experience in the unit, and willing to share. And as far as coueswhitetail.com, half that crew is good guys, the other half is a bunch of prima donnas. Always getting bent out of shape about road hunters, e-scouters, people that kill at long range with a bow or rifle, oh and everyone always knows where someone else's whopper buck was killed or spotted. Gets old.
Posted By: krp Re: Unit 10 Az early rifle tactics - 06/13/15
This isn't coueswhitetail? Seemed like it...

Kent
Lol, yeah.
Sorry I can be a wise ass sometimes wink
On a similar note, I drew an early archery bull tag for 7E in Flagstaff. Trying to get in shape, I'm not ready for that mountain like all the hippies are. Good luck to all the elk hunters around the state!
Congrats on that tag, hold out for a BIG one!
270jerk, just an fyi, its not pajama man.
and i gave him a suggestion too, maybe your reading comprehension is not past the 2nd grade.
Thanks for watching my back 270. I came here for ideas- to give and take- but pajama has a bee in his bonnet. No, I'm not a road hunter but, the area is huge and I know I'm probably going to cover a lot of ground. As for you pajama, You asked what I had to offer- just tell me what you'd like to know. I'll do my best to give you a good answer.
Panjandrum, you participated in this thread to be an a-hole to the OP, but I'm the jerk. Who are you trying to kid? My reading comprehension is fine. Though I did receive a "C" for "reading with expression" in third grade. Kinda traumatizing for a kid, dontcha think? grin
Yes you are a jerk, you got one thing right
Yeah, okay.... surely I'm not the only one that thinks this is ironic, but I digress.
270, I'm sorry you got hit in my shrapnel lol. Congrats on your archery tag. I'm a non res so I have been waiting a long time for this tag and just trying to make it the best hunt I can. I'm not into being guided, I think the search is the best part of the hunt. I'm looking into as many sources of information as I can to develop a game plan. I'm only about 6 hours away from the unit so I will be able to get some scouting done before the hunt. I'm actually thinking of asking Pajama to come be camp cook!
No worries man, I better quit being mean to him grin. Obviously you know it, but that tag you drew is a world class tag. With only a handful of tags instead of the usual hundreds during the late rifle hunt, your competition shouldn't be bad. Like Peeshooter advised, it's a unit with lots of roads, it might be hard to get away from them without a conscious effort. I'm with Peeshooter in that it's obnoxious to put scout an area, just to find lot's of people there. Finding several areas to keep in your back pocket should help alleviate that frustration. There should be plenty of elk,and great potential for world class bulls. I'd be careful not to settle for a mediocre bull if I waited long for the tag like you have. Be sure to research the Boquillas ranch. If I understand right, it covers nearly half the unit. I believe there's a fee to hunt it, but I'm sure it's worth every penny. You might contact a few of the game and fish officers assigned to the unit. Hopefully they'd be willing to point you in some good directions for access to areas to scout.
Originally Posted by panjandrum
Somehow i believe that.
good luck, something tells me you wont fill your tag.

^ Ignore the chick with the dick.
depends on where you are going in 10, that is a big unit. Keep in mind that a good part of the unit is on the boquilla's ranch, which requires a permit. Also keep in mind that weather changes everything, the mud in wet weather is to be seen. Those areas towards the east of the unit seem to me to be more and more restricted.
There are some world class bulls living in the unit. I have not hunted the north of it but have been on the boquilla's and i am trying to think around round mountain, if i remember right. Keep in mind forest service restrictions on what roads one can use today, some are restricted. You really need to locate the elk. That is a LOT of area, and you ain't gonna walk it all. Best idea is first to locate where the elk are at in the unit. Strangely enough, i have shot a couple of elk within about 15minutes of williams, but they were not trophy elk. Recovery is an issue. I was hunting in 8, an adjoining unit a few years ago, during a blizzard. Couple of yahoo's walked about 3miles off a road and popped an elk. They didn't get it out in an hour or two. keep in mind the private property no hunting restrictions more so on the east end, and on the boquilla's they have definite restrictions on entry plus having to pay the dinero.
Here is more info on Boquilla's:

http://huntbigboranch.com/
Thanks for the info guys. The Big Bo is definitely in my plans. The weather is a real concern. I have heard from others as well that it gets sloppy and then your huge hunting unit becomes small real quick. I've got a few areas on the Bo I'm going to check out already. Hoping to find a good location for camping while I'm there that has at least some good areas close to it.
I had that tag 2 years ago and didn't kill one. Passed several "350" class and finally missed a bull I thought was 370 the last day. Hunted the boquillas most of the time. Hard to get away from other hunters when lots of the elk go out in the flats at night to breeding places. 2 partners killed Bulls that we ambushed on their way to water and breeding sites in late afternoon. Both east and west of Keeseha are good starting points
I have hunted 10 when I lived down there for a while. Lots of roads. The way it is set up now, I would hunt the boquillas. It is a minimal fee, and 4 wheelers are prohibited, as are horses from outside the ranch. They had problems with sickness being brought in and infecting their horses, or so the story goes. So I'd try to formulate a plan for retrieval. You might check with the ranch to see if they have any suggestions.
You have better resolve than me lol. I put "350" as the goal to shoot for so if I see one close to that I think my tag will be punched!
© 24hourcampfire