Home
Not a primary, or even a back-up rifle.
Just thinking a 336 in 30-30 might be handy to carry packing out a filled tag. (2 elk and a deer tag)

What components are available that would bring out the most potential of a 30-30?

Thanks in advance.

IMR 3031 works

you pick the boolit........
Hodgdon Leverevolution with 170gr bullets or the 160gr gummytips
I'm running Varget and 170's. Not sure it is best, just works well for me.
I've had outstanding accuracy with Varget and Hornady FTX gummy tips.

Others with excellent accuracy:

W748 and BL-C(2) and Speer 130g
BL-C(2) and Speer 150g
W748, BL-C(2) and Varget with Speer 150g

Have not tried any of these on game.
Carry your hunting rifle it will do the same job.
No can do, if I am making trips packing game.
The first trip, maybe, second trip? I am betting I have a serious talk with myself about resting the elk rifle in exchange for lighter.

It is very good to hear the gummy-tips are topping the list. Midway has them marked in stock.

Starting from ground zero, I will note the better powders.

Has Leverlution been consistent or available recently?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
I am betting I have a serious talk with myself about resting the elk rifle in exchange for lighter.

FYI, I just weighed my 336. No scope (of course), no sling, and unloaded it weighs an ounce shy of 7 lbs. You could probably do better in the lightweight department.
Knockaround rifle? Marlin 357 mag- nice and light

[Linked Image]
Bl-C2 under the 170 Partition. Know folks who've killed moose with that combo. Better yet get a good holster and pack a revolver.
I use lever what ever powder and 160 ftx.i have one box at 34 grains. And a HOT box at 35.5. I have a box of 180 Speer round nose and 33 grains lvr powder. I also got 180 win silver tips for my 99 with 33.5 grains lvr powder. Here in Idaho the lever powder is a little cheaper and around.
34gr H4895, 150gr corelokt
Nosler 170gr Partition with IMR3031
3031 and just about any C&C bullet . We are only talking about 2200 fps here. I have good luck with 170 gr Hornady Interloks.
© 24hourcampfire