Home
Posted By: MikeS AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/03/15
Spent the last few days in the Arizona high country backpack hunting for elk. It was a tough hunt with full moon and no bugles to be heard, but proved to be well worth the effort. Ended up solo as my brother broke his arm and clavicle the week before the hunt...

About 1 mile in:
[Linked Image]

Base camp at 9700'
[Linked Image]

Full moon from camp opening morning:
[Linked Image]

Typical bedding area, rifle in elk trail:
[Linked Image]

Success:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My freshly re-barrelled M70 in 6.5-06 dropped the bull in its tracks at sunrise on day 4, I then packed meat until 11PM that night, returning the next for some rib meat and the head.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/03/15
Nice Bull!!! Congrats
Posted By: RoadRunner65 Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/03/15
Great job on the bull. Looks like Flagstaff area. What unit were you in? Nice pictures of the hunt.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/03/15
Nice job,

White Mts? Flag area?

I sure miss that State.

Geno
Posted By: mudhen Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/03/15
Wow! Nicely done. Thanks for posting great pictures, too.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/03/15
Nice bull!
Posted By: handwerk Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/03/15
how cool is that...congrats to you on a great trip.
Posted By: Razz Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/03/15
Excellent! Congratulations
Posted By: davidlea Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/03/15
Great bull and pics! Congrats and thanks for the post. Nothing like doing it on your own.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/03/15
Beautiful bull, congratulations!
Posted By: MikeS Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/03/15
Thanks guys. This was limited opportunity permit in a mostly wilderness designated area north of Flagstaff. AZGFD classifies it as limited opportunity due to the rugged terrain and lack of access. It pegged the satisfaction meter, but it was a lot of work as well.
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/03/15
Congratulations on a very nice bull! Hard-earned, no doubt, but would imagine that makes what you accomplished mean even more.
Posted By: Robster Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/04/15
Great country! Great bull!! congrats!!!
Posted By: KC Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/04/15

Nice bull. Congratulations.

How far did you have to pack out the meat? Did you pack it on your back? Or did you use a horse?

KC

Posted By: 7mmMato Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/04/15
Well Done
Posted By: MikeS Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/04/15
Originally Posted by KC

Nice bull. Congratulations.

How far did you have to pack out the meat? Did you pack it on your back? Or did you use a horse?

KC

By downhilling to a different trailhead I was able to get the pack out to less than two miles. It was on my back in my MR6500 pack which while heavy, carries well and is tough as nails. I'll definitely have something 4 legged lined up for the next time though.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/04/15
Good job and great bull
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/04/15
you had to back pack into here? How did the chainsaw get in there? Nice bull though.
The elk range vertically about 1500' daily in this area from what I've seen. This bull was intercepted 1000 vertical feet below my camp at dawn leaving where they feed at night. Have a nice day.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/04/15
Not sure what that means, you backpacked in and then pose a bull on a logged tree. It was a legit question. I hope it was easy to pack to the truck where you killed him.
I backpacked in and hunted both uphill and downhill from my base camp. With no bugling, by Sunday and Monday mornings I was working on intercepting them downhill from camp. It was not an easy pack to the truck by any means. Have you ever hunted the Peaks Hunt area?
Posted By: 24mileboy Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/04/15
Congratulations!
Posted By: MarcusW Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/05/15
Beautiful bull and great story, I aspire to get out and hunt Elk like this next year. How long have you been backpack hunting elk and if you could give one piece of advice to someone doing it for the first time what would it be?
Posted By: 32_20fan Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/05/15
Originally Posted by MarcusW
Beautiful bull and great story, I aspire to get out and hunt Elk like this next year. How long have you been backpack hunting elk and if you could give one piece of advice to someone doing it for the first time what would it be?

....be in top physical shape! Seem obvious but can't be underestimated when chasing those smelly critters up and down the topography they like to escape to when the pressure hits.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/05/15
You should feel real good about taking a nice bull that way - private land, DIY, spike camp - there are just not a lot of guys capable of doing that.

Congratulations. Well deserved!

Posted By: SU35 Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/05/15
That's a really nice bull.

The reason for the cuts is that the FS wants Aspen to take over in there.

Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/05/15
Congrats great bull!
Posted By: SLM Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/05/15
Nice bull.....Congrats.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/05/15
Congratulations,
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/05/15
Originally Posted by MikeS
I backpacked in and hunted both uphill and downhill from my base camp. With no bugling, by Sunday and Monday mornings I was working on intercepting them downhill from camp. It was not an easy pack to the truck by any means. Have you ever hunted the Peaks Hunt area?

Not since 1991. It was all unit big unit then. I killed my bull clear over by dog knob but chased a big bull all the way to 10,000 feet!
Posted By: huntinaz Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/08/15
Great bull! My wife will be chasing cows up there tomorrow and next week a friend has an any elk tag in there. Can't wait for morning.
Posted By: MikeS Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/08/15
Good luck! That last weather front may have them bugling by now.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/08/15
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Great bull! My wife will be chasing cows up there tomorrow and next week a friend has an any elk tag in there. Can't wait for morning.

Dang, you folks are making me jealous. I didn't put in for any deer. elk, sheep etc this year as we had household size moves and new jobs etc to deal with.

And today I was just trying to find a way to show my brother, who's moving to Flag 1-Nov, with online maps where our spring javelina camp is as he may decide to hunt or maybe just come for a visit.

I sure miss AZ.

Good luck to all you AZ folks this fall. I'll be putting in for elk and deer next year, I've got a nice new to me 9.3 to take along for a walk in the woods.

Geno
Posted By: Jcubed Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/08/15
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by huntinaz

Dang, you folks are making me jealous. I didn't put in for any deer. elk, sheep etc this year as we had household size moves and new jobs etc to deal with.

And today I was just trying to find a way to show my brother, who's moving to Flag 1-Nov, with online maps where our spring javelina camp is as he may decide to hunt or maybe just come for a visit.

I sure miss AZ.

Good luck to all you AZ folks this fall. I'll be putting in for elk and deer next year, I've got a nice new to me 9.3 to take along for a walk in the woods.

Geno

Where did you live in AZ? what are you thinking for next year (elk)?

PM if necessary
Posted By: powdr Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/12/15
Mike, what bullet did you use? powdr
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/12/15
Very nice bull you got there, well done.
Posted By: MikeS Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/12/15
Originally Posted by powdr
Mike, what bullet did you use? powdr

Barnes 127 LRX w/ H4831 for 2980 FPS @ muzzle.
Great work and fine hunt!!! Thanks..
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/13/15
Awesome bull and from what I can tell nice rifle as well. Good shooting and congrats!
Posted By: Sycamore Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/17/15
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Not sure what that means, you backpacked in and then pose a bull on a logged tree. It was a legit question. I hope it was easy to pack to the truck where you killed him.

dennis, stump might be fairly old, or might be from cleanup of a fire. sometimes they get permission to use motors (chainsaws) in wilderness. lot of the land around the peaks is wilderness now, but hasn't always been.

Sycamore
Posted By: Valsdad Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/18/15
Sorry J, I missed following up my post.

I'll send PM.

OH, White Mtns and over west on the "river". Two COMLETELY different climates!

Yes, elk maybe, spring HAM javelina for sure. Deer depending on if successful on elk. (hard to afford both)

Geno
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: AZ backpack elk hunt - 10/19/15
Originally Posted by Alamosa
You should feel real good about taking a nice bull that way - private land, DIY, spike camp - there are just not a lot of guys capable of doing that.

Congratulations. Well deserved!

Alamosa nailed it! Congrats on a great bull, done the hard way!
© 24hourcampfire