Home
Posted By: joelkdouglas Boots - 11/04/15
I am done elk hunting for the year. Time to start saving money / researching / breaking in a new pair of boots. I have hunted in Lowa Tibets for the last 5 years, and they have served me well. They aren't done yet, but I need a second pair of boots. I also have a pair of Schnee's Pac boots for cold weather and snow.

What I'm looking for:
1. Stiff, or at a minimum a good boot for some rough terrain, heavy loads, backpacking, etc. I will wear them climbing over boulders at 10,000 ft, with a 110 lb pack full of meat, etc. I don't hunt from a pickup, and I am not talented enough to shoot animals near roads.
2. About an 8 or 10 inch boot
3. I would prefer a waterproof liner.
4. Non-insulated. If it's cold enough for me to want an insulated boot I usually go with my pac boots.
5. If possible a quiet boot. I continually need to work on being quieter in the woods, especially while climbing over deadfall.

Leading candidates:

Kenetrek Mountain Guide
Kenetrek Mountain Extreme
Lowa Tibet GTX Hi
Others?

I hunted with a damn fine elk hunter this year that recommended La Sportiva Glaciers.

Anyone with experience with Kenetrek Mountain Guide boots? I see they have Mountain Extremes and Mountain Guide versions. The Guide version says it has a stiffer midsole. Any input on them?

Posted By: coyote268 Re: Boots - 11/04/15
Danner
Posted By: Razz Re: Boots - 11/04/15
First off I like your line about not being talented enough to shoot animals near the road. 2 trips to haul my elk 2 years ago cam in just under 11 miles.

While not on your short list, I have been wearing Lowe Renegades and been real happy. From day hikes here in NM to extended multiday backpacks in NW Wyoming I have been pleased. Spent a weekend serious sidehilling and glassing for bears this spring up near Jellystone, lots of support and very impressed with the boots. Kind of like your comment noted above, I don't seem to be smart enough to carry a light load when backpacking.

I am in process of breaking in my back up and working with Cableas Meindl Perfekt Hunters, made in Germany. Aside from some of the negative reviews, so far I have been pleased. The real test will be an upcoming hunt later this month.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Boots - 11/04/15
Scarpa Triolet
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Boots - 11/04/15
Hanwag!
Posted By: Robster Re: Boots - 11/04/15
i'm partial to the kenetrek's
Posted By: smokepole Re: Boots - 11/04/15
It's surprising to see Renegades recommended given your parameters. I have some, and they're really comfortable but much too soft IMO for boulders, rocks, and heavy loads. If I could get Triolets to fit my feet, that's one I'd check out. I can't, so Hanwags for me.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Boots - 11/04/15
I've had the tibets for quite awhile now, I got some kennetreks insulated and like them better.

By the way if you are hunting the rough stuff when it's cold you really should try the insulated hiking boots. I used to use pacs too when it was cold. I'll never go back after trying the insulated kennetreks.
Posted By: laker Re: Boots - 11/04/15
I love my kennetreks. It was tough to spend the money on them but it was well worth it.
Posted By: naturehunter Re: Boots - 11/05/15
Scarpas are great. I'd also recommend Crispi boots, very similar to kenetrek but at least for me fit my feet a little better and have held up extremely well.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Boots - 11/05/15
You Kenetrek guys don't find the boots too heavy? I am considering a pair of either Mountain or Hardscrabble and was wondering.

Not interested in anything made in Vietnam or China, etc
Posted By: Tom338 Re: Boots - 11/05/15
Kenetrek, hands down. Heavy???? Never noticed or had a issue with that.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Boots - 11/05/15
Sierra Trading Post has Triolets right now. I have a mountaineering buddy who recommended I order a half size larger than normal; I'll try them out.

I may end up with some Kenetreks also this year.
Posted By: GregW Re: Boots - 11/05/15
Kennetreks! They aren't quiet or light but worth their weight in gold on slopes and with weight.

Durable too. I'm on my 2nd year with a pair of boots, which is a record for me.
Posted By: 1234 Re: Boots - 11/05/15
danner
Posted By: forpest Re: Boots - 11/05/15
I'm a Russell moccasin guy. They will build them to your specs. I have a high country hunter with extra ankle support and cut off at 10". With three layers of leather they are water proof. Pricey, but they fit like a glove. . And I have 8 ff feet - wider than they are long!
Posted By: Tanner Re: Boots - 11/05/15
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Sierra Trading Post has Triolets right now. I have a mountaineering buddy who recommended I order a half size larger than normal; I'll try them out.

I'm on my second pair now (Triolets) and order the same size I wear in other shoes, FWIW. My first pair made it through around 15 critters worth of hunts so money well spent in my book.

Tanner
Posted By: Bullwhacker Re: Boots - 11/05/15
Danners for years but the last two seasons have been Lowa and I have been impressed. Partner uses Kenetrek and I honestly don't see much difference besides $100 in price after two years of hard use.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Boots - 11/05/15
My Kenetrek Mountain Extremes just finished their 4th CO elk season and have been deer hunting even more. After wading through several streams last month, they have remained waterproof. And, I don't find them heavy at all. The soles probably have another 3 or 4 years left in them and they still look great. I also have a pair of their Grizzly pac boots for late season or snowy conditions and I'm very pleased with their comfort. However, like most pac's they are heavier boots.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Boots - 11/06/15
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

I'm on my second pair now (Triolets) and order the same size I wear in other shoes, FWIW. My first pair made it through around 15 critters worth of hunts so money well spent in my book.

Tanner

Thanks Tanner. Good to know the normal sizing works for you. I'll try the 10.5s out, and send them back for 10s if they don't fit right. I think they were $160 cheaper from STP.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Boots - 11/06/15
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Hanwag!

I have been wearing the Tatra Top GTX. Like the lacing system and they don't require alot of breakin.
Posted By: 30_06Hunter Re: Boots - 11/06/15
Have been using Red Wing Elk Stalkers 200 grain for a couple or 3 years. Durable, price reasonable, and comfortable. No complaints, other than made in china, pretty solid performer
Posted By: Marc Re: Boots - 11/07/15
I have a pair of Scarpa SL M3's. If the Triolet's are similar, they are a great boot for carrying a load on rough ground. I can't imagine anything better. I wore Danners for years and thought they were good boots but they don't hold a candle to the Scarpas when it comes to packing a load through the mountains. They are stiff! The toe never bent on mine until I had a load of venison on my back.

The SL-M3's were sold in two widths and the wider one works for my big feet. I do wish they had higher tops and when I replace these I will probably look at the Kenetreks since they are similar construction with higher tops. Kenetrek also has more wide sizes.
Posted By: prm Re: Boots - 11/07/15
My personal requirements match yours. I found most boots to be be far too stiff and heavy. I ended up with Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots. Could not be happier. Just used them for their 4th elk season.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Boots - 11/11/15
Hardscrabble hikers are good, I've been using mine since '11. They're starting to show their age/use but are still comfortable.

I've also got 2 sets of Cabelas/Meindl Alaskan Hikers. 1 set I've also owned since '11 and the others have been broken in and basically salted away for someday when I wear out the 1st set. They're as good, if not better than the Kennetrek's and are basically the same ~8" boot w/Gore-tex and no insul. They're stiffer than the Kennetrek's.

I bought a set of Cabelas/Meindl Denali's this year and they're far less stiff than the Alaskans and so far appear that they'll last a long time and remain comfortable but I've only got ~30Mi on them.

20yrs ago I was a huge Danner Proponent. Anymore I won't even buy their "Made in the USA" stuff unless it's on super-clearance. They don't use anywhere near the quality of materials that they used to. Much like the OP, when I need insulation I wear Schnees pacs, but I've still got a ~18yr old set of Danner Canadians w/Duratherm insulation (pre-Thinsulate) and they're made of significantly better leather than anything they offer today. Probably the reason those boots are still in great shape and still comfortable and waterproof.
Posted By: starsky Re: Boots - 11/11/15
Scarpa Triolets here.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Boots - 11/12/15
I ended up with a pair of Triolets. I know the Kenetreks are really, really good, but Sierra Trading Post had the Triolets. I got them for something like $225, half the price of the Kenetreks. For that price they deserve a shot! I'll know what I really think of them in two or three years.

The boots in my elk camp this year were:

A pair of White's
A pair of Kenetrek Extremes
A pair of Triolets
A pair of La Sportiva Glaciers
A pair of Lowa Tibets (mine)

Posted By: LKEYES Re: Boots - 11/13/15
I too ran the Lowe Renegades a while back, very comfy, but soft souled on rough ground and I found them to be very slick on wet terrain.

I tried the Crispi Nevada's 2 years ago and I'm still wearing them this season as well. Hands down the most comfortable boot I have ever tried on with absolutely zero break in period. I would definitely replace these boots with the same when the time comes. But they are insulated ever so slightly though. Hunting down in Utah in August was warm, but last November in Montana with way below zero temps my feet never got cold in them, proper socks are a must though in any conditions.

I too have a pair of Schnees packs here at home, but I can't tell you the last time that I have hunted in them though.
Posted By: ts300wsm Re: Boots - 11/14/15
I always had great luck with Danner's but heard great things about Kenetrek
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Boots - 11/17/15
I am on my 3rd pair of Kennetrek Hardscrabbles. They are a good boot. My first two pair didn't last 2 or 3 hunts before they came unbonded. They seem to have figured it out now. I spend about 250 days a year in hiking boots. I rotate as much as possible. IF I use one pair for the whole year, that is all they last. I had my Danner Santiams recrafted and am wearing them. If I can find someone to resole my Meindl Alaskans, I will get them into the rotation.

I used my Schnee uninsulated pack boots during the archery elk hunts this year, quiet and give the heavy boots a break.

I have worn out two pair of Meindl Canadas- definitely the best boot Cabelas has ever sold. I find that they are too high for my comfort unless I am really packing a heavy load. I prefer 8" boots to the 9s and 10s.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Boots - 11/17/15
White's hunting/hiking boots are a great leather waterproof boot with a great sole.

I broke in a pair of Asolos this summer and hunted some this Fall in them. They are a great boot. I have a leather pair and a pair with nylon/leather. The hybrid shoes are the ones I broke in this summer and hunted in recently. Great boots but susceptible to getting wet on the exterior with the nylon and then getting cold. I just need to treat them with silicone to shed the snow and water better.

Either of these boots, Whites or Asolo, would fit the bill.
Posted By: pointer Re: Boots - 11/18/15
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I am on my 3rd pair of Kennetrek Hardscrabbles. They are a good boot. My first two pair didn't last 2 or 3 hunts before they came unbonded. They seem to have figured it out now. I spend about 250 days a year in hiking boots. I rotate as much as possible. IF I use one pair for the whole year, that is all they last. I had my Danner Santiams recrafted and am wearing them. If I can find someone to resole my Meindl Alaskans, I will get them into the rotation.

I used my Schnee uninsulated pack boots during the archery elk hunts this year, quiet and give the heavy boots a break.

I have worn out two pair of Meindl Canadas- definitely the best boot Cabelas has ever sold. I find that they are too high for my comfort unless I am really packing a heavy load. I prefer 8" boots to the 9s and 10s.
Have you contacted Hoffman boots about resoling the Meindl's?
Posted By: Snipebander Re: Boots - 11/18/15
Try Davepagecobbler.com he resoles all sorts of mountain boots. Maybe he can resole your Meindls.
Posted By: Steve1961 Re: Boots - 11/18/15
I have the Cabela's Meindl/Perfekt Extremes and really love them. I hunted 37 days last year in the mountains and never had a problem. I'm using them this year and still loving them. The only thing I don't like is the Vibram type sole has big flat lugs on the toe, and in deeper snow I tend to slip when pushing off. No biggie I'll just switch to the Schnees Elk hnters with the Air-bob Claw soles when the good snow comes. I like the Perfekt Extremes and they're about $100 less than the Kenetreks.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Boots - 11/18/15
Kulien boots are by far the best. hand made by a true craftsman. All the assembly line stuff is junk in comparison.
Posted By: prm Re: Boots - 11/18/15
Can anyone elaborate on the Scarpa Triolet in snow? I hunt mid-October CO and we get snow on occasion. It is the exception not the rule.
Posted By: Westman Re: Boots - 11/18/15
I have Kennetrek Mountain Extreme and they are stout but they just don't fit me right.

Kennetrek Hardscrabble Hiker they fit better but not quite all the way right.

Zamberlan that I bought through Lathrop and they don't work either.

I have Danner Ridgemaster for just knocking around in and they are more comfortable but not nearly the kind of boot I want for the mountains.

My problem is that a D width is too tight for my left foot and anything wider is too wide. Most boots pinch the area of the ball of the foot while my heel slides up and down.

In my experience, I think that the Kennetrek boot is built tougher that the Zamberlan and if they fit you they are a good way to go.

I need to find a boot maker that will make a boot that is built to my true foot shape through some form of real custom fitting. Anyone know if the Russell boot can be fitted that way?

Bill

Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Boots - 11/18/15
My Kennetrek Hardscabbles have been comfy since day one, only had them one season(this season)and I am happy. Found them on amazon ,after I tried on a pair for 260.00 and was even happier.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Boots - 11/18/15
Kulien boots look it up and stop waiting your time. danners should be air dropped in enemy territory as a way to cripple them with out firing a shot.
Posted By: ejo Re: Boots - 11/18/15
Originally Posted by forpest
I'm a Russell moccasin guy. They will build them to your specs. I have a high country hunter with extra ankle support and cut off at 10". With three layers of leather they are water proof. Pricey, but they fit like a glove. . And I have 8 ff feet - wider than they are long!

You must be a great swimmer with those feet.
© 24hourcampfire