Home
Posted By: Wyoming762 Outerwear and Layers - 12/07/15
This year I moved to Wyoming. I wasn't able to go elk hunting this year but did get an antelope and a deer. I fully expect to go elk hunting next year but need some advice about the clothes to take (if your wondering why I'm asking this now it's because, being close to Christmas, there is a lot of stuff on sale).

I am rather stumped on what type of outer coat to get. I've heard some people suggest parkas and others say they're too bulky. Well, I do know I want something with with a waterproof and breathable membrane but am not sure what I need beyond that. What do you sugest I get for upper outerwear? I have been looking at Cabela's Dry Plus coats/jackets. Any experience with this line or a specific one you would suggest? What do you think would be a better choice?

I also don't know exactly what to do about underlayers. What I have in mind right now is a synthetic long underwear upper, then a poly fleece jacket, then a a wool sweater/jacket under whatever outerwear I get. I come from where it is quite hot and flat and have no November high mountain hunting experience so don't know if that system would be advisable.

Any advice and personal experience is greatly appreciated. You can count on me to consider it all.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/07/15
During October and November mountain hunts my clothing consists of:

One Nylon athletic short sleeve t-shirt:

long sleeve, hooded Cabelas Polartec hoodie

Marmot 1/4 zip thin fleece pullover on top of that

If I'm sitting or walking downhill, I also wear my First Lite Uncompahgre jacket on top of all that.

If it's cold and I'll be glassing a lot, I wear a Polartec long underwear bottom underneath either Cabelas Microtex or First Lite Corrugate Guide pant. If it's not terribly cold and I'll be hiking hard (most often) I ditch the long undies.

The name of the game (for me) is thin, synthetic layers and shedding them when I need to. That philosophy has worked great for me from Alaska to Colorado in anything from 10 degrees and snowing to 80 and sunny.

[Linked Image]

Most of my hunting clothes are kind of ratty and have holes and stuff like that but they continue to work really well.

Tanner

Posted By: smokepole Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/07/15
How does the camo wife-beater figure in?
Posted By: Tanner Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/07/15
Laughing.. That one is reserved for times when something absolutely, positively must die.

Tanner
Posted By: smokepole Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/07/15
I better get me one of those....
Outer layer for me is an older Cabela's DryPlus lined jacket with a hood. Inside that a thin long-sleeved down jacket (Kirkland). Cheap but but works. Zips up under the chin if needed.

Under that milsurp poly longjohns.

Add socks and headwear as needed. I'm never far from a good synthetic watch cap and/or balclava to wear under the jacket hood also.

I carry wind Goretex rain pants in my pack and use as wind pants if needed.

If I must sit for hours without moving in subzero temps, I take a sleeping bag and sit in it on a pad. Really. Works great in a blind or treestand.
I mean to write 'subfreezing' instead of 'subzero'.

Would need a bit more gear for that ...
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/07/15
Unless you'll be in rain, there s no need for a waterproof outer layer.

I wear a Kryptek Sherpa hoodie base and layer on with a Sitka 90% in warmer weather or a Sitka Jetsteam in colder weather. Jetstream is wind proof which you will probably need in WYO. Sitka Kelvin always rides along for sitting.
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/07/15
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Like Tanner mentioned, it's all about layering. I prefer a good quality synthetic down jacket made by Columbia and a pair of lightweight synthetic long handle underwear. I also buy lightweight wool pants at the second hand store.

Cotton is by far the worst clothing you can buy for hard hunting.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
There are many choices that work and no one answer for every situation. Much depends on style of hunt.

I will say I wear two different Polypro long johns depending on activity level or temp. One light weight, and one is polar weight. They are worth spending money on IMO.
I layer and have used a set of Cabelas wool outfitters pattern outers. The 1/2 zip pullover is often times too warm.
The biggest mistake I see being made is getting the layers to tight, restricting circulation. I guess wearing cotton could be listed as well but in a dry climate it's easier to get away with. If you expect you may get wet, leave the cotton home.
Posted By: GregW Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
I leave cotton home because I sweat like a pig....
Posted By: smokepole Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
It's as much about managing sweat as it is keeping warm so layering is not only for the insulation, and you'll need a day pack big enough to hold the clothes you shed as the day warms up. Avoiding cotton is a given. Your base layer (long underwear) needs to be good at moving moisture away from your body as well as insulating so I avoid anything but lightweight (thin) for that. Heavy is great for sitting but if you move at all or especially climb, it'll trap heat and moisture against your body. And you can't take it off so you're stuck with it all day no matter how warm you get.

Like Tanner, I use a lightweight synthetic tee shirt under the long sleeve base layer, sometimes a light tee and light longsleeve shirt is more than enough. For a hunting shirt, I like one that buttons or zips all the way down the front because lots of times when you're climbing you'll heat up and you can open up the front of your shirt to ventilate without taking it off.

On top of that I'll use a fleece jacket. I like wool but don't use it in the mountains as an insulating layer(it's good as a base or a shirt though) because it's heavy. On top of that I like a lightweight synthetic-filled insulated jacket, and I don't normally put that on unless I'm sitting down.

You'll need a windproof shell and my thinking is, it may as well be waterproof too. Even if it never snows during late seasons, you can use it during early seasons if/when you go hunting then. Once again, ventilation is key, especially for the pants because they're a pain in the butt to change while you're on the move. Get pants with a full-length zipper down the sides so you can take them off over your boots, and also use the zips to ventilate when you need to. Pit zips up top are good too. Marmot Precip is a good set. Make sure your jacket fits on top of your insulating layers.

Pay attention to your head, neck, and hands because you loose a lot of heat there. Wind-resistant gloves are a must. A turtle-neck zip-top base layer is good to protect the neck, as is a lightweight neck gaiter.

Speaking of gaiters, get a good pair that covers your calves, for snow. REI or Outdoor Research make good ones.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
First lite and Kuiu merino wool has served me well and as others have said layers is where you want to be!
Posted By: bwinters Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
I'm similar to Tanner and Smokepole - wear multiple thin layers and make sure they handle perspiration. I generally wear a thinish synthetic base layer - top and bottom - followed by light to mid weight fleece, topped by something wind/water resistant. This system works for my western hunts. I rotate the fleece between very light weight to expedition weight fleece. I've used several of the Rivers West jackets as an outer layer but be forewarned they don't breathe well. I normally put them on when I arrive and cool down a bit. The newer versions are much quieter than previous versions and have more pit/crotch zips than previous versions.

The biggest mistake I see eastern guys making is overdressing thinking they'll freeze to death when its 10 degrees. You won't. I've seen Cabelas parkas made for zero degree deer stand sitting, 2000 gr thinsulite boots, 2 layers expedition weight long johns, and a bunch of other tree stand sitting equipment. None of it is needed and will hinder your capabilities.

My normal MO when elk hunting is to put my outer jacket in/on my pack until/unless I get somewhere to sit. I tend to cover ground the first couple days till I figure out the elk. I've hunted alot of days without putting my outer jacket on - as cold as -22. If you are moving, climbing, actively still hunting looking for elk, you won't need to look like the Michelin Man. I wear 400 gr thinsulite Danner Elk Hunters 99% of the time - sometimes they are too warm.

Buy quality, buy lightweight, and wear multiple layers. And have fun.
Posted By: Wyoming762 Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
Smokepole, weight has been a serious consideration, but the wool jacket I've been looking at at the local sporting goods seems to me thick enough without being very heavy. Do you think I would regret the weight of just one wool garment? But, regardless of weight, you've drawn my attention to another problem it may have, it only buttons half way down. Do you think I should aviod a garment if I can't get it open all the way for ventilation?
Now a lot of people have been suggesting a windproof, waterproof shell. I've been looking at Cabela's 10 Point 4-in-1 parka. It has Cabela's Dry Plus membrane and has removable insulation so it can be worn as just a shell. Good choice?
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
You won't know until YOU hunt in it. If there's one thing I've learned, everybody is different. Some people are Type-A relentless hikers, and managing their sweat is a primary concern. Others are sit-and-watch guys (often AFTER a big hike) and that's a different set of issues. I'm in between. I love slowly still-hunting and am not opposed to sitting and watching for a couple hours, but I typically hike in a number of miles... If I'm alone I hike fairly slowly to avoid having a crapload of sweat to deal with.

Rain and snow are a thing for me where I hunt elk so my outer layer is typically waterproof unless the weather is rock-solid dry. Then I'll go wool pants. But I always, always have a shell jacket in my pack. If for no other reason than it will save your life if you end up having to spend the night in the woods.

The constants here are, IMHO:

- a quality base layer. Patagonia Capilene is a gold standard but it's spendy. The REI copy is very good. I'd go mid weight if I could just have one.

- a fleece layer, or layers, on that. I like expedition-weight Capilene as a mid layer. It's denser and thinner than regular fleece and sized and cut appropriately for layering. There's a number of camo shirts made out of very similar material out there that would do the same thing.

- a heavier fleece layer. I have a camo Colombia zip-up fleece that makes a good outer layer in dry conditions.

- an outer shell layer. NOT the place to skimp! I love my River's West gear. I wouldn't advise it unless rain was a real possibility. It is as close as you'll get to waterPROOF* short of vinyl fisherman's gear but it's not breathable. It is however VENTED.... Still, a poor choice for the Type-A hiker or a guy hunting where it's dry. It does double-duty for me as blacktail gear in the drizzle.

*can't resist a bit of pontificating on this subject. It rains a lot here. I've tried a bunch of different stuff for my active outdoor hobbies. Be advised, there ain't no such thing as waterPROOF and breathable in the same garment. It's more of a scale. The more waterproof, the less breathable, and vice versa. That's not to say that a quality water resistant/breathable (see what I did there?) outer layer isn't highly useful; but be realistic, and don't give up one or the other thinking you'll get both, if that makes sense.

Oh- socks. Big fan of the UltiMax liners and socks. I got them at REI. Far better than anything else I've tried.
Posted By: pointer Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
Originally Posted by Wyoming762
Now a lot of people have been suggesting a windproof, waterproof shell. I've been looking at Cabela's 10 Point 4-in-1 parka. It has Cabela's Dry Plus membrane and has removable insulation so it can be worn as just a shell. Good choice?
I've handled that garment and that is not one I would buy for an elk hunt.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
Wyo, as long as you can open it up to get air circulation on your chest you'll be fine. It might not even be an issue for you, I just like to wear stuff that's adjustable on the fly.

Someone mentioned socks--Smartwool and Darn Tough are good.
Have you ever handled any of their MT050 shells, pointer?
Thanks for the advice, smokepole.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
Originally Posted by smokepole
Wyo, as long as you can open it up to get air circulation on your chest you'll be fine. It might not even be an issue for you, I just like to wear stuff that's adjustable on the fly.

Someone mentioned socks--Smartwool and Darn Tough are good.

One of the areas I sweat that can get clammy later is on my back, under my pack. Hate that.

If you like Smartwool (and I do too) socks, try similar-weight UltiMax sometime. I like them better. And the UltiMax liners are the BOMB.
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
I haven't hunted elk for a few years, but when I did I really liked the Filson lightweight wool pants with different layers underneath depending on the conditions. I also liked the Filson wool hunting shirts under a vest or a jacket.
Posted By: 222ai Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
All that's been mentioned is good. I learned hunting caribou in canada the boat ride was cold and hiking was hot that was in 2000 and i'm still glad i took no cotton.
Posted By: boliep Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15

Stay with wool for the base layer. Merino wool is the first choice. It will keep you warm but very importantly it will not stink like the artificial base layers.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
Originally Posted by boliep

Stay with wool for the base layer. Merino wool is the first choice. It will keep you warm but very importantly it will not stink like the artificial base layers.

Merino wool is a wonderful baselayer, but I also like to take along a synthetic top (like Underarmour) in case of warmer weather.

I have a couple of different weights of Sitka Gear that I use for an outer shell, depending on the temperature.

donsm70
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
I use merino wool for base layers in almost every kind of weather. I wear the tops as my shirt. Pants are either microtex or lightweight wool. If it's warm enough to rain or wet snow I carry a set of marmot precip. For layering I use a puffy type jacket from cabelas. I also used a cabelas guide coat with dry plus this year and really liked it.

Layering is key, but also remember that if its cold and you aren't moving much there is nothing like putting on a giant puffy or down coat.

I always have a balaclava around too. And a sleeping Indian hat with flaps that Velcro under my chin. Combined with the balaclava it is pretty serious cold head gear.

It will take you a few years to figure out what really works for you and your style of hunting.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/08/15
For socks try a pair of Dahlgren alpaca wool you won't be disappointed!
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/09/15
Originally Posted by Ralphie
It will take you a few years to figure out what really works for you and your style of hunting.

Yep, I'm outside almost everyday and still experiment with something new. Just bought a fancy new outer layer that is supposedly windproof and water resistant.
That combined with one or two merino long sleeve shirts and a fleece mid layer should cover any temps/activity that I encounter.

Work is easy, hunting(when your a few miles from the pickup) is the tricky part. It is no fun freezing your ass off!

Work clothes equal heavy and tough, hunting is all about lighter weight and less bulky.

Posted By: pointer Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/09/15
Originally Posted by Wyoming762
Have you ever handled any of their MT050 shells, pointer?
Yes and I think they'd be better. I too have been on the lookout for a shell that can work as an every day jacket as well. Haven't found one yet. Would love to try one made of Neoshell as I think that it may be close.

I wear a soft/quiet jacket and take a very packable rain jacket with me. It's noisier, but dry.
Posted By: specneeds Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/09/15
I like wool best. Lightweight base layer and light orange windbreaker for hike in - usually uphill a couple of miles, dump the sweaty windbreaker for wool shirt then go fleece jacket opened or closed. Wool pants with waterproof spray on knees and seat, different weights wool and base layers gaiters if in snow. I carry 2 gloves and always wear light leather driving or shooting gloves, bring neck or face cover and heavier waterproof hat. My MT 050 system shell never got used this year 3rd season CO. Heavy wool socks good waterproof leather boots.

Almost everything eBay thrift store bargain cave available.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/10/15
I think Ralphie actually hit the nail on the head first. You'll have to pick from all this advice and find what works for YOU.

There's a lot of good advice here. Much has to do with how you hunt and it changes as you age, as you hunt with kids, or older people. Wool isn't a bad investment, if you can wear it. Moreno wool is the least itchy. I personally am not a big fan of fleece, though lots of people recommend it.
Posted By: Elkmen Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/11/15
I wear high quality undergarments when conditions warrant, then wool and more wool. I also carry all season a windproof set of "lightweight" military camo rain gear, for wind and wet weather. I also a sweat and usually hike in uphill in my underwear top then start layering when I stop moving. Also don't forget headgear a cap as well as a hat should be part of your everyday ger.
Posted By: Oheremicus Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/15/15
JJHack, one of the most qualified and experienced guides who posts here, recommended that one should seriously consider what the mountaineering crowd uses for clothiing.
I followed his advice some 15 yrs. ago and haven't been sorry yet.
Other than Dalgren socks and Cabela's heavy wool pants, I use Patagonia gear for almost all of the rest. That included lots of elk hunting in sometimes sub zero temperatures.
First of all, one needs a good, fairly large day pack to carry extra clothing. I never go into the mountains w/o at least a few extra clothing items I may or may not need.
I use Patagonia's Capliene as a base layer. When it's not too cold, I like the Silk Weight. Colder, I go to the Medium Weight. If it's really cold, then I use both a Silk Wt. and a Medium Wt. under my wool pants.
Insulation layer can be any combination of their Regulator Fleece. What makes it so good is it passes moisture easily. I usually use an R2 top, but have used both R1 and an R2, or even two R2's.
My wind/moisture layers are either a Houdini top for just wind and light snow or a Rain Shadow Parka with it's long pit zips. For warmth when glassing, I use a one of their insulated parkas.
I like Cabela's Gore-Tex Gaiters. In cold weather, they are always worn.
A fleece cap, and, if it's really cold, Cabela's Fleece Baclava for my head.
For gloves, it's one or two pair, with extra dry liners as a backup. Very important to keep the hands warm so they will work right when needed.
Yes, Patagonia's stuff is expensive. However, it's guaranteed for life. If it breaks down, simply send it in and they will repair or replace it w/o charge. E
Posted By: smokepole Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/16/15
There's lots of good mountaineering gear out there besides Patagonia. Outdoor Research and Black Diamond come immediately to mind. I have a bunch of capilene but Merino wool is better for some applications.

Personally, I'd look at what hunting guides who operate in the mountains use, especially places like AK, rather than "mountaineers."
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/17/15
I'd skip right over the "hunting" clothing lines and go straight to the market with the most demanding costumers, most experienced people, and biggest budget. REI would be a good place to start.

Personally, I'd look at what hunting guides who operate in the mountains use, especially places like AK, rather than "mountaineers."

Why? On the surface I get it, but just like with other aspects- most aren't "gear" guys. Some are I'm sure, but not nearly to the extent that mountaineers, climbers, etc. are.

Pretty much everything worthwhile I've learned about clothing has come from alpinists/climbers.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/17/15
Right....seasoned elk hunters don't know jack schit about what to wear.....
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/17/15
That's not what was said, but... as a whole they do not have nearly the knowledge of current clothing as mountaineers.

The reverse is saying that because mountaineers see elk, they know how to hunt them.

Learn from all, but lean towards the specialists.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/17/15
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Why? On the surface I get it, but just like with other aspects- most aren't "gear" guys. Some are I'm sure, but not nearly to the extent that mountaineers, climbers, etc. are.

Guides, especially in AK are by necessity "gear guys." The good ones have already evaluated mountaineering gear and kept what works for hunting. Mountaineering and hunting are two different pursuits, with different requirements.

This August, I saw it first-hand. My guide used plastic mountaineering boots and OR gaiters. He also had a really nice wind-resistant fleece jacket (Natural Gear) with a camo pattern that blended in with a lot of different backgrounds including the mountains we were hunting. I was wearing an insulated Black Diamond "belay jacket" and I liked his better for our purposes. As soon as I got home I got one, very versatile for hunting. I doubt you'd find one in a mountaineering camp.

Edited to add: The price tag was $79. I doubt you'd find one of those in a mountaineering camp either.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/17/15
What are you guys wearing for an outer layer(shell) during cold, windy and possibly wet weather?

I recently ordered an UA Ridge Reaper(it pained me to even type that....) shell. It was expensive but appears to be water proof and should cut the wind chill down quite a bit.

Of course I will layer underneath depending on temps.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/ua-ridgereaper-es-fz-jkt/pid1247863-951

First camo that I have ever bought in my life, should be uber stealthy in the open country....

Posted By: Ralphie Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/17/15
Sam,

You'll be styling in that. Actually I'll bet it'll work pretty well.

I used my cabelas Alaskan guide coat for the first time this fall. Got it on sale last Christmas. I like it a bunch. I'm horse back quite a bit though and found myself leaving it with the the horse when I was going to be a foot for awhile. It is a little heavy.

Otherwise I use my puffy jacket with the marmot precip jacket. I've had to renew it with nikwax, but that has worked well. But we also don't have days of Alaskan type rain.

I agree that there is good stuff in the mountaineering stores, but don't kid yourself on their customers level of experience. Most of that stuff is getting worn to the mall with an iPhone in the pocket.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/17/15
Ralphie, all I'm worried about is it not breathing well enough. That and they size this stuff way small.

I had to get an XL and even it is a little snug with multiple layers underneath.

Posted By: Alamosa Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/17/15
It depends a lot on your style of hunting.

- Hunting above timberline has been productive for me. At altitude mountaineering gear works real well.
- If your plan is to post on a vantage point in order to cover an area you think is good then it could all be for nothing if you start to shiver. Bring enough warmth.
- When I was younger it was not uncommon for me to cover more than 10 miles in a day. In those situations it was real important that almost everything could fit into my pack if I warmed up.

Something that has worked well for me the past few years is to carry a change of base layer in a gallon ziplock bag. When I reach a point where I’m climbing less and slowing down to hunt more I change the base layer and zip the sweaty one into the bag. It puts a garment with less stink on you, prevents the sweat from permeating the covering layers and it contains the stinkiest piece. It’s a lot more comfortable too.

Lately I’ve kinda liked these desert base layers I’ve found in the military surplus stores. They’ve got a real stretchy breathable body section with the arms made of a fatigue material w/ pockets. I wore one this season and it was comfortable in a good range of temps.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/17/15
I have gotten great service from my Rivers West stuff. 2 jackets and a pants. WaterPROOF, windproof, quiet, warm, soft. The fabric itself is not breathable but the garments are vented.

Water will eventually start finding its way in via zippers and so on, in an all-day rain, but I doubt that's an issue for most here. A light drizzle is ideal for blacktail hunting so I've spent many a dawn-to-dusk in it... The Rivers West hasn't let me down other than the crotch zipper of my first-gen pants. Cold wet balls kinda sucks so I sent them in and they replaced it with one of their waterproof zippers, which aren't actually waterPROOF, but do fight the good fight.

Plus-one on REI. You won't find camo there but the gear is first rate. I have several items that are olive green, or black. Their house brandbase layer is excellent.

Posted By: Ralphie Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/17/15
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Ralphie, all I'm worried about is it not breathing well enough. That and they size this stuff way small.

I had to get an XL and even it is a little snug with multiple layers underneath.

What you aren't built like a ballerina? I hate all this form fitting stuff. I see guys wearing the skin tight beanies too. Gives me a headache just looking at them.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/17/15
Regardless of the temps during hunting season, I wear merino wool base layers (light or medium weight), and wool pants. If its warmer, I wear First- Lite Kanabs, if it is cold, I wear Big Bill Codet pants. My mid-layer is either a military wool sweater or polypro top depending on the temps. My outer-layer jacket is always a Gore-Tex soft shell. I've hunted CO, South Dakota, OK and TX in rain, sleet and snow and have always managed to stay comfortable in this combination by shedding or adding clothing as required.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/17/15
Climbers and such don't think much about noise. Elk, deer, and turkey do.

I like wool. Liner socks under heavy wool socks, Poly T-shirt, Poly/wool Dufold long underwear, good wool shirt (I have lots of Woolrich), wind proof/resistant orange vest. This is good foe me down to about 10 degrees or so. Usually tie my Cabelas Wooltimate jacket around my waist in case things get cold. Very quiet rig. I have no problem sneaking up on anything in it.

When I'm going in deep, I toss my jacket in my Eberslestock X2 along with 4 meat bags to save a light trip back out.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/18/15
Originally Posted by SamOlson
What are you guys wearing for an outer layer(shell) during cold, windy and possibly wet weather?

Westcomb top and Marmot Precip bottoms for me if it's raining.
Posted By: Jaguar Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/18/15
Wyoming762

You have gotten a lot of good answers from experienced hunters here. As you can see, it depends on the conditions you expect and how you go about hunting. That will vary through a season, and will change over a lifetime. One question for you – you don’t state where you came from and how you hunted there. You must have some gear. What are you starting with?

One thing here in this state – Wyoming – and any other elk country I have hunted is that you need options if you are packing to be hunting from a given place for several days to a couple weeks. Things can change here quickly...or not. A few years ago we had a season that was sweltering from start to finish, and I had to stick with “summer weight” clothes. How we were wishing to need rain gear. Another year in the same place, we had a blizzard before the season opener, pleasant fall weather for 1 ½ days, then pouring rain that turned to snow over a night and day, and by the 4th day of the season we were snowed into camp and shoveling, not hunting. Yet another year opening day was predicted to be 80+ degrees and we delayed a few days going into camp. With rain predicted we went in and set up, then got a foot of snow – perfect for getting a nice bull, by the way.

So Depending on just when you start and where you go, you can have sweltering days jamming into subfreezing and snow in a matter of 48 hours. You have to pack for extremes, and sometimes one end or the other will stay in your duffle. With that said, though, pack versatile layers so you can go up and down in warmth, and dress for what your plan is for the day. There is always a lot of peeling and replacing layers as you climb, cool, glass, shiver in the wind, climb, repeat. The comments about having a sufficient sized day pack to carry your extra clothes is right on if you are going to be moving, climbing, still-hunting, or even climbing and then sitting.

I personally hate synthetics. They cling and grab onto my sweaty skin, but maybe I am more sensitive with redheaded fair skin. Whatever. I use wool for cold, more wool for colder, and silk and cotton for warmer, as next to skin layers. The merino wool base layers can be used singly or doubled up under light or heavy wool or even fleece pants. In hotter weather silk is great as a base layer. Early and late in the day can be pretty cool, so an under layer is nice. Silk breathes well and is not hot. It also does not chafe, a nice feature if you wear a knee brace as I do. I did mention cotton. The skin thing says a cotton shirt feels best, but if it gets too soaked with sweat, Alamosa has the solution. Shed. Interestingly, merino wool is OK if I have to get rid of a soaked shirt. One thing about silk, wool and cotton – though you can scorch them, they don’t melt if you get them too close to the stove while trying to dry them.

Several lighter layers are always better than a single heavy anything. You have more options. Layers add warmth as extra clothing layers, but also trap static air between, adding a warm air buffer between layers. Too hot, shed a layer; too cold add one back on. I have found that one or two old military wool surplus sweaters with an oversized Woolrich shirt over the top work well for me. Layered up like that I seldom have trouble with snow piling on the outside even melting into the top layer. A non-insulated Woolrich jacket or Jack-shirt or Filson Mackinaw would also make a good outer layer – as long as you can move freely in it with under layers on. Wool is quiet like no synthetic is. If you are a still-hunter and want to get close, this means something. Reconsider any fabric that crinkles like plastic when you move your arms or legs or "zips" when brushed.

If you plan to sit a long time, down is hard to beat for warmth. It will likely be too hot to climb in, though, so you need that spacious pack.

I am in the mountaineering-is-not-hunting camp. I do have mountaineering gear, having done that too. It is great for mountaineering, and some pieces are useful for hunting. You have to pick and choose depending on your hunting style. Everything you wear does not need to be camo.

Waterproof gear is also pretty individual, and depends on conditions. If I think it may rain a bit, my Frog Toggs are light and roomy for my layers. If I expect a deluge it will be heavy Helly Hanson jacket and pants. There is always some rain gear as I never know when the weather will change (or if my plans will change), and it doubles as wind gear...about that day pack. Whatever it is, it needs to fit over the greatest number of layers I expect to have on, and it can't be too flimsy and fragile. Most years you won't need it a lot hunting elk, but sometimes you do.

Bottom line, think about what everyone has said, get some new stuff you hope will work for what you think you will do, then go out and try it out after the holidays. Do some winter hiking and see how it works. Try to test it in some severe weather before next fall and work out the bugs. Stress it when it doesn’t really count and see what happens.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/20/15
Camo and by design "hunting" clothes are more about wooing hunters than hiding from animals.

The "sound" of fabrics swishing bothers hunters significantly more than it does animals and the difference in the loudest Goretex fabric and the quietest wool fabric while someone is sneaking along is measured in feet, not yards, and despite fantasies to the contrary, your not killing sleeping bucks in their bed at 4 feet all that often.

A cursory search of the animals killed threads this year would show that at the ranges they are being killed you could wear pink tyvex and it wouldn't matter.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/21/15
Climbing and by design "mountaineering" clothes are more about wooing yuppies with disposable income than people who really climb mountains.

I like the wind-resistant fleece jacket because it's way more durable crawling on your belly over rocks or busting through brush than my thin-shelled genuine "mountaineering" puffy jacket. The fact that it comes in camo is just a bonus. Given the choice I'll take it over pink any day. YMMV.

PS, although I love long-range shooting, as far as typical ranges go my favorite ways to hunt elk and deer involve getting close enough that blending in and especially being quiet do matter. Not everyone is a turret-twister.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/21/15
I've killed more big game inside of 25 yards than I've killed over 25 yards and not one has been over a food plot or out of a shoot house. The only thing I do is still hunt or spot and stalk, including eastern whitetails with a bow on the ground still hunting.

Again- the difference in hearing the sound that a "loud" garment makes and the sound of a "quite" garment is measured in feet, not yards.

Btw- where did that nifty "wind resistant fleece" technology come from...?
Posted By: Tanner Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/21/15
I would agree with the premise that MOST guides are not "gear guys" but there are also quite a few that are. Dudes that make their dough pursuing mountain critters in conditions that are inclement more often than not are certainly in tune with what works well, and what doesn't.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/21/15
I like quite clothes. Heavy nylon shells are noisy, and even if it's measured in feet, I'd rather be quite.

That said, I absolutely agree about hunting vs mountaineering equipment from a tech standpoint.

The whole 31 flavors of camo thing cracks me up.

#MaxAdvantageForce9RealBarkUltraCarbonGhostDeer Camo is the chit!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/21/15
Originally Posted by MadMooner
That said, I absolutely agree about hunting vs mountaineering equipment from a tech standpoint.

My point was, you can say the same thing about both hunting gear and mountaineering gear, as far as marketing to a target demographic. Some "mountaineering" gear is good for hunting, some isn't.

And despite what some say, having quiet gear is a definite advantage up close, especially in thick cover. The sound of a branch hitting or scraping across a hard nylon shell can be heard at the edge of bow range by humans, much less animals.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/21/15
For the past few year hunting in CO, S. Dakota, and OK I have had been using First Lite Kanabs pants for warmer weather and Big Bills 8 pointer wool pants for cold weather/still hunting. My top outer layer is always a Gore-Tex soft shell jacket with or without a Swedish wool army sweater (one of my best pieces of clothing). If it is cold and wet I use the soft shell top and the sweater. If it is warmer the sweater is all I need. If it is really warm, I'm down to my base layer on top. My base layers are Smartwool light or medium weight merino tops and bottoms. This combination has worked so well, I'm done buying hunting clothing…except to replace what may wear out. Wool just works for me.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/21/15

And despite what some say, having quiet gear is a definite advantage up close, especially in thick cover. The sound of a branch hitting or scraping across a hard nylon shell can be heard at the edge of bow range by humans, much less animals.

Where were you in the loud safety thread? grin

Absolutely agree. A guy in my elk camp missed out on a raghorn bull due to a hard nylon shell. The tale of woe gets told about every other year up there.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/21/15
Originally Posted by Tanner
I would agree with the premise that MOST guides are not "gear guys" but there are also quite a few that are..

Of course. Just like there are pure hunters that are extremely knowledgeable and skilled with guns and shooting, but the "base of knowledge" on the technical side of shooting doesn't reside with the general hunting public. A person that hunts hard, often, kills a lot AND is a gear nerd is a pretty rare thing.... Speaking of that- have you made a post discussing gear you are using?

I only brought it up because in most groups, including my vocation, people tend to be very myopic with a massive case of "not invented here syndrome", ignoring that there are users and communities that have significantly more knowledge on technical aspects then they do. Nearly every conversation I have with other hunters about clothes is how you need "hunting" clothes to hunt in. Almost all of the advancements in fabric and gear come from the backpacking and mountaineering community. Hard to understand how lots of people can't see the Kuiu, Sitka, Core4, etc, are using that gear but renaming it for hunters. It is silly.
Learn the technical aspects of gear from the user groups that specialize in it and then apply that knowledge to whatever situation you are in.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/21/15
I've got a present interest in updating my hunting clothes,because I not only want to stay warm,dry, and comfortable out there; but also need to do it "lighter" and more efficiently.

Changing airline baggage rates cost me almost $200 bucks coming back from Kansas because my duffel was over weight by maybe12 pounds,and I had a second baggage item....my rifle, which cost me $50.

I would have been charged another $125 from Boston to Wichita, but tipped the sky cap $40 when I pulled into Logan and he let me slide the over weight duffel for "0". I was $85 to the good.... smile

With those baggage charges I figured it's worthwhile to take a look at the new synthetics. I have lots of nice hunting clothes, but a lot of it is heavy. Years past I mostly hunted Wyoming with jeans and wool bibs if the snow flew. That stuff is heavy and needs to be replaced or I'll go broke flying. frown
Posted By: oldguns Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/22/15
Bob...I know exactly what you mean...airline baggage rates are way up there!...and no fun schlepping heavy baggage through the airports....I'm looking at new Synthetics also...some look good but very pricey...thank God for sky caps..lol
Posted By: smokepole Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/22/15
Well, I'm lucky enough to be able to drive to my elk hunting grounds but I've got to say I'm more concerned with the weight I'll carry up the side of the mountain than through the airport.

Heck, you can use wheels and skycaps in the airport grin

I hear you on the luggage fees though, it's getting ridiculous. Cut-rate fares, and they're looking to make up the difference any way possible.
I only brought it up because in most groups, including my vocation, people tend to be very myopic with a massive case of "not invented here syndrome", ignoring that there are users and communities that have significantly more knowledge on technical aspects then they do.

I hope you're not talking about my posts because nowhere did I say anything like what you're referring to. In fact, in my post that you took exception to and quoted, I named Black Diamond and OR as two non-hunting gear companies that I like and use. You omitted that part of the post when you quoted me.

In fact, I don't think anyone on this thread has poo-pooed the idea of using mountaineering/backpacking gear. Maybe I missed it?

Speaking of that- have you made a post discussing gear you are using?

Tanner posted his gear on the first page of the thread. When I made the comment (the one you took exception to) that people should pay attention to what "hunting guides who operate in the mountains, especially places like Alaska" use, his post was exactly what I was referring to. And notice, I didn't say guides in general.

So you took exception to my recommendation, now you're asking for the same thing.

That's what we call full circle.
Posted By: Heeler Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/22/15
Lots of good info here and glad for it as I'm starting to upgrade/update my hunting clothing. MidwayUSA and Cabela's have some really good sales going on right now.

Yesterday I bought the First Lite Llano 1/4 zip base top and Allegheny bottoms for $126.00 combined (vs. $210) at MidwayUSA; including free shipping.

I haven't seen this mentioned, but does anyone take along hot hands or body warmers?

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/22/15
smokepole I'm also concerned with the weight of what I wear.

Im not getting any younger LOL!
Posted By: SKane Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/22/15
Bob was pretty stylin' this year. smile
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/22/15
Originally Posted by Heeler
Lots of good info here and glad for it as I'm starting to upgrade/update my hunting clothing. MidwayUSA and Cabela's have some really good sales going on right now.

Yesterday I bought the First Lite Llano 1/4 zip base top and Allegheny bottoms for $126.00 combined (vs. $210) at MidwayUSA; including free shipping.

I haven't seen this mentioned, but does anyone take along hot hands or body warmers?

I almost always have a couple on me. Dont usually use them, but they're zsure nice to have on you when you need them!

I buy a big box of them from Costco. They don't cost or weigh much at all.
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I know, I was just razzing ya. Some day I hope to be old enough to go whitetail hunting with SKane.....
Originally Posted by Heeler

I sometimes do that when I'm going to sit a few hours like on a deer stand, But for elk or muley hunting in the mountains I'm almost always moving often enough that I can stay warm without them so I don't.

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/22/15
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I know, I was just razzing ya. Some day I hope to be old enough to go whitetail hunting with SKane.....

LOL! You will be a lucky guy! smile
Posted By: Jaguar Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/22/15
Smokepole: "And despite what some say, having quiet gear is a definite advantage up close, especially in thick cover. The sound of a branch hitting or scraping across a hard nylon shell can be heard at the edge of bow range by humans, much less animals."

+100

I know I can hear the zip of a twig on Cordura or hard nylon at 15 to 30 yards depending on conditions, as well as the nylon taffeta of a down garment. And, as I am closing in, having seen the response to such sounds and smaller ones that are not natural, I can say for certain that deer and elk do pay attention to them. In general human clothing is never as quiet as the hair of a deer, elk, or antelope as it passes through thick cover. We are discordant. As close as I tend to try to get, it makes a difference for me. I am not a generalization, but a still-hunter who likes to get close. Some years I may not need to get that close for a clear shot. Other years I do, so I want my gear quiet. But everyone does have different experiences, different climate, different ground conditions, different needs, different hunting style, and different answers.

As far as technology, adopt what you like, eschew what you don't like. Mix and match as works. A lot of technological advance in military optics, lights, gps, fabrics has been of great benefit to hunters and mountaineers and other outdoor enthusiasts.

One piece of mountaineering gear I prefer to any that are "designed for hunting" is my daypack. That is a mountaineering pack for which I made a fleece cover to keep it quiet. I have yet to find a hunting pack new or old that matches or beats it for my needs. Another is my boots. Lately I can't find a pair of "hunting" boots that work for me, so I am breaking in another pair of "mountaineering" boots for next fall.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Outerwear and Layers - 12/23/15
+1 on this post. Anyone who has ever archery hunted has seen the effects of noisy clothing. Animals notice 'unnatural' sounds. I too can hear sticks slapping off many of the noisier synthetics. And I have a significant hearing loss at high frequencies.

Also agree 100% on using whatever gear from whatever source works for you. I do alot of hiking during the off season. I use alot of hiking year for hunting - Salamon boots, Komperdell hiking poles, various cooking items, etc. Use what works.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Outerwear and Layers - 01/01/16
As has been mentioned, it is about heat and sweat management. I won't have an outer jacket/shell without pit zips. My fleece layer (Marmot) also has pit zips. Buy good quality gear, you won't regret it later.

I have layers for all conditions warm, temperate, and cold. It takes a bit of money to get to that point.
© 24hourcampfire