Home
Anybody ever use these for Elk? Know they would be good for Deer. Campfire member turned me on to these as we have to go to non lead in 2019 so I bought a few boxes and just wondering if I should buy a few more. Can't get the Daughters 7mm-08 out of her hands although she has a 7 mag.
I would use the 120 grain T-TSX. I have some friends use it on everything, they love it.

Thought I'd share that.

Have a good day.
My daughter shoots the 120 TTXS out of her 7-08 700 youth rifle.She shot a 5x5 in NM with it. One shot thru the shoulders at 225 yards. Bull dropped on the spot and the bullet kept going.
I used it on a 3x3 buck in Dec here in CA. Shoulder shot, complete penetration and the buck went right down. Factory Barnes Vortex that do inch groups with light recoil from a 20in barrel.
Where do you find Federal 7mm-08 triple shock 140 grain Barnes bullets??
I was going to look at 7MM mags bullets and couldn't find any so looked for 7mm-08 and can't find them either.
Mass Amm.com. Their web page says they still have some
Based on experience with both lighter (100g/.257") and heavier (168-180g/.308") TTSX/MRX bullets in antelope, deer and/or elk, we chose 130g TTSX @ 3045fps for Daughter #1's .308 Win for her first elk hunt. If shooting a 7mm-08 I'd have been happy with either a 120g or a 140g for her.

Have confidence in this load; if you can find them. You won't catch one.
If going with factory ammo, just note that Federal no longer loads Barnes bullets. Anything on the shelves is left over. They do have a 140gn Trophy Copper which is essentially an E-Tip. Barnes has a 120 TTSX load though.
Thats why I bought 4 boxes of them. Figure they will last me a while. I contacted Barnes and asked if they planned to load a 140 lAD FOR THE 7MM-08. Didn't get a positive answer. Figured they didn't want to go against the Remington 140 corelock as Remington now own them from what I hear.
My wife has used both the 140 gr TSX (in 2009 at 320 yds) and the 120 gr TTSX (in 2015 at 400 yds) to take bulls with her 7-08AI. The 140 was started at 2940ish fps and the 120 at 3120ish fps. Not much more than standard 7-08 velocities. I'd recommend either.
My buddy cleanly harvested his spike at about 280 yards with a ha loaded 140 TTSX. Worked great.
I loaded the 140 grain TSX this year in my dads 7mm-08 for an elk hunt with his Kimber. He didn't get an elk but shot a mule deer buck at about 90 yards with the load and it worked well. The bullets shoot great too. I think either the 120 grain or 140 would work well but I like to lean a little heavier for elk, especially since he had a bull tag. That's about all I can offer. Good luck.
Several years ago I bought a case of the Federal 140gr TSX load since I was living in Germany and unable to reload. I have used them on black bear, whitetail, mule deer, and mnt goat and have yet to catch a bullet. I'd have no problem at all using them on elk.
I saw a cow killed this year it by my buddies son. He was using my 7-08 with 120 TTxs the cow dropped at a 150 yards. I mean she was polled axed it was a big Rosie. She did not twtich I was a little worried thinking i should have loaded a heavier bullet I was sure happy when she hit the ground. I shot a antelope earlier same experience but with antelope they are not that tough. So I believe in them and the caliber smile
They will kill elk......
Might be a little much for "meat elk." More of what some call a "trophy bull" load, except perhaps beyond 500 yards.
So if I want a cow elk I've got to back up to 501 yards?
I wouldn't really worry to much about that load for anything in North America.
I've killed a couple bulls with that bullet out of a 280AI. That bullet is about as good a bullet for the 7mm's you could ask for. A bit much for anything under 200 lbs, if you wanna be picky, but it's a one and done if you want it to be.
I think its not that you cant kill one past 500 yards ,its velocity and bullet expansion with 140 ttsx grn.bullet
Originally Posted by coyote268
Mass Amm.com. Their web page says they still have some

My Hill Country 7-08 loves this factory load and at $20 a box it's a great deal.

Thanks
Up until today Mass Ammo had them on close out at $15 a box. 15 boxes later, I'm pretty well set for awhile ! I normaly use AB's, or BT's hand loads in my 7/08, but have no qualms about using a TSX for just about anything that won't eat me. It would be nice to have a better BC, but it's still doing over 1900 FPS at 400yds, with 1200 FtLbs.

If Bambi,Bullwinkle,or Yogi don't go FLOP, it's going to be my fault, Not the bullets!
Originally Posted by G46
Up until today Mass Ammo had them on close out at $15 a box. 15 boxes later, I'm pretty well set for awhile ! I normaly use AB's, or BT's hand loads in my 7/08, but have no qualms about using a TSX for just about anything that won't eat me. It would be nice to have a better BC, but it's still doing over 1900 FPS at 400yds, with 1200 FtLbs.

If Bambi,Bullwinkle,or Yogi don't go FLOP, it's going to be my fault, Not the bullets!

Oh man, that was a deal! "Had" is the right word, all gone this morning when I tried to get some.
I think Greenhorn here (fire member) has killed some huge bulls with the 7mm-08 140TTSX. Might want to check some of his old posts.
© 24hourcampfire