Home
Posted By: barber Elk hunting with a hand gun n - 07/12/16
Any one hunt elk with a hand gun? Prefer hard cast bullets or regular bullets? AND why does this site keep freezing up?
barber, Will probably use cast. Aint this site a "peach"! It's probably the best hunting/shooting/ect. site, until you try to use it!!!! memtb
Using Chrome and Adblock Plus, it virtually never freezes up on me...at least not on a computer. I've heard other things about using telephones.
In 1988, I drew an elk permit in the Holy Cross Wilderness in Colorado and decided to use a my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. I bought some ammo from a small outfit in South Dakota, loaded with 300-grain hard-cast bullets. They worked very well--at least the one that I used to take my 4-point bull did. That is a sample of one, but if I was going again with a handgun, that is where I would start.
Prefer hard cast in my dedicated hunting loads, but having said that, I killed my first elk (a cow) with a 475L using 400 grain Speer Gold Dots. Although it worked, smashing through the point of the shoulder, it did not penetrate all the way through.
IF you cast (or know someone that does)that 310 grainer from Lee mold is very accurate and I would guess effective withing range limitations
Believe I would prefer hard cast for Elk.
© 24hourcampfire