Home
Posted By: BigFin New Mexico Elk Hunt on YouTube - 07/31/16
Some of you already saw this New Mexico rifle elk hunt on Sportsman Channel, earlier this month. The feedback has been remarkable. It is a great hunt, with a great guy, Bruce Pettet, who is CEO of a great company, Leupold. Add in a great camera guy and it might be worth your time to watch, even with the sub-par host that leads the operation. You will see from the physical nature of this hunt that Bruce is not your typical "desk jockey" CEO.

YouTube video link - CLICK HERE or the image below

[/url] [URL=http://s230.photobucket.com/user/BigFinMT/media/NM%20Elk%202015_zpsidbqudtx.jpg.html][Linked Image]

In addition to the hunt itself, we are continuing with our YouTube strategy of providing a lot of hub content that helps explain more of what you saw in the episode. Much of these hub content vids are about the equipment you saw us using.

The rifle, scope, bullet used - https://youtu.be/yCKQpA9gAOg

Range finder we used - https://youtu.be/87VzHMqEGaU

Spotting scopes we used - https://youtu.be/V7cZbwphnoI

Gutless method on an elk – https://youtu.be/Ny5z3kJWbn8

Using Trekking Poles for Mountain Hunting - https://youtu.be/C8Ux_MKKihw

I hope you like the episode and I hope you like our use of YouTube for distribution of the big episode and the surrounding hub content. If you do like it, I hope you will sharing. More of these YouTube episodes to follow over the next few months.

Thanks for watching.
Nice bull and a great shot!
Very cool,
watched the gutless method also,interesting
Great video!
Very nice Randy. I like the youtube hub content stuff, especially the gear used. I also like your choice in scopes, as they have served me well too, especially the VX6. I'm surprised the 24HCF badasses haven't told you how stupid you are for using Leupy stuff though.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for posting again.
Fantastic!

Nothing better to say to that.
smile smile smile
Great episode and thanks for putting it on youtube.
Randy, while on the subject of gear you guys use, what binocs are you toting around nowadays. I know I used to see you with the GR HD's around your neck but since they've never made a replacment for those I'm curious.
Great stuff Randy -

Your videos and hunt stories are about as good as I've ever seen -
Randy,
thanks for another great hunt, I've been living w/o TV for the last 24 years, your youtube links are much appreciated!
Thanks for the video Randy! Those mountains are brutal!
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Randy, while on the subject of gear you guys use, what binocs are you toting around nowadays. I know I used to see you with the GR HD's around your neck but since they've never made a replacment for those I'm curious.

The last two years I have been using the Mojave HD as a replacement to my old Gold Rings. The Gold Rings were still working great after six years of abuse.

This season I will be testing a pair of the new Gold Ring prototype. I think Leupold will make a pretty bold statement with the new Gold Ring binocular. Will be fun spending the next six months trying to destroy them. Before anyone asks for more details, I am invoking my Forrest Gump disclaimer, "That's all I got to say 'bout that."
Posted By: TDN Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt on YouTube - 08/09/16
Randy, Awesome video, one of my favorites of yours yet!

On the gear subject, I am intrigued by the binoc and rangefinder harness you are wearing... Care to share who makes that?

Thanks for all you're doing for the sport and for public land conservation!
Randy, great video. You just keep getting cooler and cooler footage with bigger and better adventures.

Originally Posted by TDN
Randy, Awesome video, one of my favorites of yours yet!

On the gear subject, I am intrigued by the binoc and rangefinder harness you are wearing... Care to share who makes that?

Thanks for all you're doing for the sport and for public land conservation!

Thanks.

Yeah, that is made by FHFGear. I've been offered money to use many other harnesses. Rather, I buy these for me and my guest hunters. Guess that is an affirmative statement that I find them to be worth the money.
Liked the video Randy good luck this year here in Colorado. I have seen some good ones this year so far in your unit.
Thanks for that update 101. Hoping I can find something representative of the points it took to get it. Good luck to you this season.
Randy, your videos are the only ones I watch. Awesome stuff. Hubs are cool too. Keep up the fabulous work.
Great videos sir. The Montana hunt played out well in spite of the yahoos we seem to encounter too often.

What are you using to fix your rifle to your pack straps? That looked right handy.
Thanks!
Razz
Originally Posted by Razz
Great videos sir. The Montana hunt played out well in spite of the yahoos we seem to encounter too often.

What are you using to fix your rifle to your pack straps? That looked right handy.
Thanks!
Razz

My Mystery Ranch packs have pockets and straps to accomodate such. If you see me doing an under-arm carry, it is a Gun Bearer I am using.
Posted By: SLM Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt on YouTube - 08/28/16
Great video.
I know that camera guy.....happens to be one of the best hunters I know too....
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I know that camera guy.....happens to be one of the best hunters I know too....

Funny thing you say that. The night before the hunt, we got to talking about you. He had not seen your bull and when I showed him the pics on my phone, he said something like, "Why does that no surprise me."

He is a great guy to have on a camera crew. Best set of critter-finding eyes I've ever had in our crew.
Nice bull for sure.
Originally Posted by BigFin
Originally Posted by Razz

Thanks!
Razz

My Mystery Ranch packs have pockets and straps to accomodate such. If you see me doing an under-arm carry, it is a Gun Bearer I am using.

Thanks!
© 24hourcampfire