Home
Read through some threads on hunting pants. Wool too heavy, too long to dry, Sitka over priced.
Kuiu/attack, Marmot/scree, Kryptek, etc. They all look comfortable, have articulated knees, and stretch fabric which is all positive. But which are good, if any, for going through brush and don't sound like velcro when going through brush and briars?
First Lite Kanab Merino Pant are perfect for what you want.

What Buckster said. +1
While they don't stretch, Cabelas Microtex pants are very quiet and tough. For me personally, the cut of the older pants fit me better and are more comfortable for hiking. The new pants (at least last year's), had a tighter cut and I could imagine them being less comfortable for hiking in hills. But the Microtex fabric is great stuff for quiet walking. If you check online frequently, you can get decent discounts at the end of the season or when they phase out one of the camo patterns. They currently have some sizes and patterns for less than $20.
A cheap and effective answer is to put a pair of camouflage sweats over your regular pants. Get them at Walmart in the design you like. Warm, cheap and very quiet. Throw them in the regular wash when you are done.
For cold and/or snowy weather, really loving my Mountain Hardwear Winter Wanderer pants. they fit, stretch just right and are quiet. After wearing them once, bought a second pair. They have relgated my early version of Sitka Gear pants to distant backup.

Alas, MW stoped making them. The replacements are the Yumalinos, when I checked them out on the at the store they look and feel just like the Winter Wander.

Casey
KUIU attack pants are awesome!!
Quiet, reliable, well made.
Originally Posted by atse
A cheap and effective answer is to put a pair of camouflage sweats over your regular pants. Get them at Walmart in the design you like. Warm, cheap and very quiet. Throw them in the regular wash when you are done.

This guy is from CO and hunting the high country for elk... He's asking about A++ pants. You've gotta be answering this question from a whitetail hunting background
Filson Wool Whipcord (owned several sets), Firstlite Kanab (would work based on similarity to the Filson's). For something that dries faster, stretches a bit more, is only slightly more noisy, and is far less expensive try the Mountain Hardware "Piero" pant from Sierra Trading Post. 4 way stretch, DWR, articulated knees, big (and quiet) front/rear pockets, and an honest to goodness button closure @ the waist (I hate snaps).
Cabelas microtex. I've used them for years and will be wearing em Saturday in NM. Good product.
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
Originally Posted by atse

This guy is from CO and hunting the high country for elk... He's asking about A++ pants. You've gotta be answering this question from a whitetail hunting background
ILive in Montana and hunt for a living.Killed a whitetail once though.
I've been using the microtex for years now. I carry a set of marmot precip pants with me if it rains.
I have the Sitka Mounatain pants - love them. Will buy another pair when these wear out. 4 years in and they still look great.....that makes them about $25/year.
Most days I wear Camo rip stop BDU pants. Warmth is regulated by which long underwear I use under them. From nothing on hot days to double layer Marino wool heavy weights on very cold days. Sew on suspender buttons to support all the crap you can stuff in the pockets.
If you want a warm, quiet, tight wool weave fabric look for some Korean war vintage M1951 trousers. Twenty years ago I purchased two pair of the M1951 trousers and they lasted until my waist "outgrew them." IMO, for the cost, and longevity these trousers were ideal for elk hunting here in the Rockies.

Just saying...

I have the Kuiu Teton Pants and I like them a lot... better then the attack, they are a little lighter but very quiet. I noticed last week hunting and walking with my buddy that has the new Under Armour stuff he was swishing as he walked. The tetons made no noise and they are the cheapest!
Originally Posted by Nhunt46051
I noticed last week hunting and walking with my buddy that has the new Under Armour stuff he was swishing as he walked.

You got to hunt with ingwe, that's awesome!
Just received a pair of MH Yumalino trousers which I ordered on alpinecrick's recommendation. These are great! Perfect! I can't believe they are only $85 (and free shipping from Backcountry.com).
Originally Posted by Buckster
First Lite Kanab Merino Pant are perfect for what you want.

I just wore these for my Idaho elk hunt and was amazed. Temps the first day ranged from 36 to 73 and these were compfortable the whole time. They do have a weird button by the knee designed to hook over the ankle elastic strap and I suppose if I were looking to ford a stream they might be handy but otherwise strange.

I went directly from the airport and will be home to unpack so we'll see about care as I ended up pretty much saturated in elk blood.
Thanks all. I will check into the suggestions. I do like to still hunt and encounter a lot of briars. God does it make a loud unnatural noise.
Another vote here for Filson wool whipcord. Fairly light,quiet, and wear like iron.
Cabelas Microtex. Quite, light, and pretty tuff. They are quite roomy as well. You can often get them on sale for pretty cheap.
I got some Columbia GRT pants, nylon/polymide with polyester lining, but I don't think they make em anymore. Very quiet. I just wear whatever long underwear underneath, that applies for the weather, from silk to expedition weight. it hasn't been cold enough in recent years to get out the Columbia wool blend pants.
Tough to beat the military surplus wool pants. Mine are Australian surplus and have a strap and button system on the cuff that fits perfectly over my Schnees. No need for a gaiter. Durable too, I have had mine over 20 years and they were probably 30 years old when I got them.

I think I paid $10 for them at Bob Wards...

Filsons and Woolrich have suited many for years! Quiet and warm! Some of the newer blends work well also! When the weather drops below zero, it's wool with poly long johns for me! Ask our Canadian friends what they prefer! I'm sure they have good input on warm and tough pants!
Wool and wool/synthetic blend dress pants from a thrift store might be worth a look and a try out. They are quiet, thin, lightweight fabric that sheds light rain and dew and are cut roomy for ease of movement, easy to lift a leg high to step over a log, etc. If you tear them badly, toss them. I have two pair currently rotating with one drying from hand washing out the blood and the other in service today. $4 to $8 is a common price. I avoid heavy wool and look for thin dress pant material. We can use them HARD, get them bloody etc. without any care or caution about tearing or staining expensive pants.

I have some higher end pants but in most Fall and even some winter conditions prefer the light wool. I have mentioned this before in the backpacking forum and cheerfully accept that this may be considered weird or cheap. Nah, light wool dress pants are merely functional. smile
First Lite Kanab 2.0.
© 24hourcampfire