Home
Raised in North Dakota and been living there since I was 6 years old.

My wife and I, along with our three kids (Age 4, 12 and 16) area moving to the Coeur d'Alene, ID area next summer.

Avid outdoors family, love hiking, mtn biking, camping.

Probably the most excited about now being able chase Elk locally and affordably.I am going to miss chasing roosters right out my back door though......

I am sure I will have a ton of questions.....just stopping in to say Hi and introduce myself. Since we plan on moving mid to late summer, it looks like my hunting may have to wait until 2018.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful GSP! Good luck and welcome.
Thanks....she is a looker. That is my only negative of these new family adventure. Not being able to get here on quality bird ground a couple times a week during the season!!

She is a heck of a pup so far.
My boy is aging out. 13 years young. Hopefully we can make it through one more bird season.

[Linked Image]
Don't know about Idaho specifically. But, were I you, as soon as I could, I would get something resembling a residence to get your in-state status clock ticking.

Thinking Idaho requires 6 months to establish residency.
Yes, Idaho has 6 months to establish residency. We are hopping to put in an offer on a house in mid March. If it all falls into place I might be able to hunt late season.....
Welcome to Idaho!

There is some ok bird hunting ~1 hour south of CdA and gets better the further you go.

The area is a great place to live.
We have passed through the area numerous times over the years, and have always loved the area. We did a week vacation in CDA this past summer and all of us fell in love. Decided it was now or never......and we are making the move.

The is good to hear about the birds. Potlatch area??

Good luck on your plan.
Ok bird hunting starts around Tensed. The farming practices are poor for bird habitat over most of the Palouse. Had some great bird hunting when I lived in Moscow and Chukar can be good around Lewiston and the river canyons.

If you have the time and are willing to travel vs a 10 min drive there is opportunity.

Originally Posted by Coach529
Yes, Idaho has 6 months to establish residency. We are hopping to put in an offer on a house in mid March. If it all falls into place I might be able to hunt late season.....
While you might own property in Idaho, legally you have to physically live here for 6 month to get a resident license.

Proof of residency is required to buy any resident license. A resident is anyone who has been domiciled in this state with a bona fide intent to make this their place of permanent abode, for a period of not less than 6 months immediately preceding the date of application for any license, tag or permit. A senior resident is anyone age 65 and older who has lived in the state at least 6 months immediately preceding the date of application for a senior license or tag....Owning real property or paying property taxes within the state of Idaho is not a qualification for residency. No one can claim Idaho resident privileges while claiming resident privileges in another state, except military personnel.
Thanks for the heads up!!
I appreciate the clarification.
I'm in the Wallace area a bit east of Coeur d Alene.
old, that is a cool area... I always wanted to check that area out a little more..
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
I'm in the Wallace area a bit east of Coeur d Alene.

Love that area. We have thought about looking at some houses in Pinehurst, but the commute scares me.
Wallace has a history. It was a mining town with the usual brothels. When I was in college in Moscow in the 60's, at least a couple were still in business. I've heard that they're gone now but I don't know if that's accurate.
We are ~15 miles NE of Sandpoint.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
While you might own property in Idaho, legally you have to physically live here for 6 month to get a resident license.

Proof of residency is required to buy any resident license. A resident is anyone who has been domiciled in this state with a bona fide intent to make this their place of permanent abode, for a period of not less than 6 months immediately preceding the date of application for any license, tag or permit. A senior resident is anyone age 65 and older who has lived in the state at least 6 months immediately preceding the date of application for a senior license or tag....Owning real property or paying property taxes within the state of Idaho is not a qualification for residency. No one can claim Idaho resident privileges while claiming resident privileges in another state, except military personnel.

You have to be domiciled in the state. That is not the same as physically living there non-stop for 6 months.

Another key is his intent to make this his permanent home.

I am not suggesting you break the law. I am saying if you could get a property tied up, under lease and get stuff there. Stay there as much if not more than your previous residence. Get utilities in your name. Rental contract signed. Get your drivers license changed. Voter reg etc. All shows intent and gives a definite start date on paper for your residency.
You are a lucky man!
Congrats and good luck!
Funny how I travel to NoDak for roosters, waterfowl, occasional deer. A sportsman's paradise is where you find it.
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
You are a lucky man!

Thanks....very excited for the adventure!!

[Linked Image]
I guess the grass is always a bit greener on the other side.

The biggest selling feature of northern Idaho is the weather. Milder winters mainly. The winters in Nodak can be brutal at times.

Definitely going to miss the Roosters......

[Linked Image]

Glad to here there are some locals, because I do not know [bleep] about hunting Elk.

I have killed quote of few deer with a bow, but I am not a fan of stand hunting. Much rather be on the move. Sold my bow years ago, so I will have to make an investment.

My trust 7mm will serve me good out west. Pretty much the whitetail weapon of choice around here.

[Linked Image]
You may be sorry.. One shot deer season is done.. But those roosters, go on forever!!!
Get yourself a post office box, so that you can beat that six month residency chitt.
jimy, a post office box doesn't cut it in this part of the country.. A quick way for a fine..
How do you get mail?
Getting mail is far different than living some where.. Not being a smart ass but I have seen these pricks pull this crap.. A post office box, and they live in West V. 11 months of the year.. No No they pay. Life is tough here.. If you want to live in the east fine, but there is a price to pay fo r living in the west..
Ok, I see what you are saying , but he is moving there and needs to establish an address, and a Post office box is the best way I know how. Especially if you are moving around and renting till you get established.
Some of these posts seem to bypass a couple early ones that explain what's required for residency. You have to LIVE here, not just play house. Your physical, warm carcass has to be inside the borders of Idaho.

Coach - In case you weren't aware, north ID has whitetails and I've seen some dandies. The majority of the mulies live in the south half of the state. The ranges do overlap considerably so you can't make a blanket statement on which species is where.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
You may be sorry.. One shot deer season is done.. But those roosters, go on forever!!!

Luckily I have family in ND, SD and MN to get my rooster fix annually!!
I'm about an hour south of CDA. There is pheasant hunting, but it is an "ask first" situation. The locals get ticked at all the Kooteneers invading every season like they own the place. I know I do.

What Idahoans call bird hunting and a Dakotan calls bird hunting may differ. Idahoans do not blink to ground sluice a grouse with pistol, rock, bow, shotgun, deer rifle or stick. If I am out hunting grouse with my shotgun, I'm pretty civilized, but if they show up while hunting other game, they are dinner.

Your 7mm will do you OK for elk. I know lot's of guys who carry one. I've killed them with a 264 Win Mag and an 30-06. Shots range from 6 yards to 600 yards. The 300 Win Mag and 338 are popular here, too. If you hang out in the pawn shops (Marty's Shooter's Supply just north of Black Sheep is my fave in CDA) and gun shows, you will hear about elk killed with everything from .243 to .458. You can do ok with glassing newer clearcuts with a lighter rifle like the 7mm. I prefer to go in the thick after them. 30's or bigger work well up close, but you always need to be ready to keep shooting until the stay down. I've had them go down with one shot, and had them take all I had. They are often dead but they don't know it. I've put three shots in three inches over the heart and had the bull standing until he slowing tipped over, dead.
The Whitetail hunting is phenomenal anywhere north of Riggins. Take the time to learn the season in each area and work the rut and you will see nice bucks. North Idaho bucks are famous for forked eye guards. Some deduct for it. I think it's awesome. You can go to the IDFG site and download the management zone, regions, controlled hunt boundaries, etc as KMZ files for Google Earth. I've loaded them all and saved them to My Places. I then check or uncheck them on the left to turn them on or off as desired.

I brought my three sons here nearly 30 years ago and now our roots are deep. Good luck on the adventure!
They are often dead but they don't know it. I've put three shots in three inches over the heart and had the bull standing until he slowing tipped over, dead.
I'm convinced that game animals often go into shock. That happens when the blood pressure drops very fast. They get very weak, and sometimes pass out. When they're in shock, often they'll just stand there looking dumb.
I once put 4 270 rounds in the chest of an elk. One broke the far shoulder and the inside of his chest was total mush. He just stood there then slowly collapsed. Every shot was a kill shot but he went into shock and couldn't react.
Coach

Congrats on the move! I know what you mean by now or never.. smile Just pulled a now or never to Lewiston 4 months ago. I'll be hunting spring bear OTC as a res.. smile I've been hunting quail, chucker, dove locally and the number are waaaaaaay good. Been seeing some Roosters to.

2 hours south of ya.

Best to you and the family!
What are the rules regarding posting of private land in Idaho?

In North Dakota if it is not posted it is open to hunting.

What are the rules regarding posting of private land in Idaho?

In North Dakota if it is not posted it is open to hunting.

In Idaho, it's a bit more restricted than that. If it's not cultivated or irrigated, IE rangeland, it must be posted or it's open to hunting without permission. The rules on what constitutes proper posting are in the game regs and they're pretty simple to follow.

North ID has a lot of dry farming, unlike so. ID that's almost all irrigated. If it's not cultivated, you can hunt it. Pastureland counts as cultivated. Fences don't count as delineating private land. The forest svc and BLM have lots of fenced grazing allotments on public land so only posting can keep you off.
Where I am, outside Sandpoint, there is no mistaking private land.
In so. Idaho, BLM land, in particular, can be easily mixed up with private land. I use an onXmap on my gps that clearly shows which is which but without that, it's hopeless to sort them out. Even the BLM people didn't always know where the borders are. Out in the deserts and hills, many times you'll have 200 square miles of BLM land with a handful of 1/4 to 1/2 section parcels of totally undeveloped private land scattered around. I have no idea why those parcels were originally claimed. They're much of the reason this trespass law was created.
In so. Idaho, BLM land, in particular, can be easily mixed up with private land. I use an onXmap on my gps that clearly shows which is which but without that, it's hopeless to sort them out. Even the BLM people didn't always know where the borders are. Out in the deserts and hills, many times you'll have 200 square miles of BLM land with a handful of 1/4 to 1/2 section parcels of totally undeveloped private land scattered around. I have no idea why those parcels were originally claimed. They're much of the reason this trespass law was created.

Thanks for the input. I will have to look into a GPS and onXmap. I never worry about finding my way back to the truck in North Dakota. That will likely be a much different issue in Idaho.
https://idfg.idaho.gov/licenses/residency-requirements

Thanks for the input. I will have to look into a GPS and onXmap. I never worry about finding my way back to the truck in North Dakota. That will likely be a much different issue in Idaho.

Go to the the USFS office off Sherman. There is an exit off I-90 East of town. You can buy a USFS travel maps for the Panhandle, Kaniksu, and Clearwater NF. These have the BLM in yellow, USFS in various shades of green, Corporate Timber in various other colors. State School sections and University of Idaho forest lands are marked also. The arterial routes will always be open but you cannot trust that other roads on the map will not be gated. There are many seasonal closures. Most are open during Archery but will be closed to full sized rigs during rifle. My maps are many years old and have served me well. USFS publishes an addendum booklet each year showing the road access changes.
Many corporate timber companies require a sportsman's permit to park your rig on their roadways. Clearwater Paper (Potlatch) runs about $80/year. You can put the license plates of the vehicles you intend to drive on it. They can charge you with trespass if you don't have one. Clearwater Paper also has a disabled Hunter permit that lets you drive through the gates. Go here to purchase if you need one.

http://recreation.potlatchcorp.com/ID/

There are no fees to access State lands.

In the deep timber it is easy to lose your truck.
Originally Posted by 44hunter45

Go to the the USFS office off Sherman. There is an exit off I-90 East of town. You can buy a USFS travel maps for the Panhandle, Kaniksu, and Clearwater NF. These have the BLM in yellow, USFS in various shades of green, Corporate Timber in various other colors. State School sections and University of Idaho forest lands are marked also. The arterial routes will always be open but you cannot trust that other roads on the map will not be gated. There are many seasonal closures. Most are open during Archery but will be closed to full sized rigs during rifle. My maps are many years old and have served me well. USFS publishes an addendum booklet each year showing the road access changes.
Many corporate timber companies require a sportsman's permit to park your rig on their roadways. Clearwater Paper (Potlatch) runs about $80/year. You can put the license plates of the vehicles you intend to drive on it. They can charge you with trespass if you don't have one. Clearwater Paper also has a disabled Hunter permit that lets you drive through the gates. Go here to purchase if you need one.

http://recreation.potlatchcorp.com/ID/

There are no fees to access State lands.

In the deep timber it is easy to lose your truck.

Thanks for the info!!
© 24hourcampfire