Home
Posted By: Cinch 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Headed from WY down to NM this year for elk with the kids for something different. There's no age limit in NM so my 10 year old son got to get his own license. They were quite excited tot say the least...

Oct 15 was opening morning and we were up early and on the move. Luckily one of my good friends from CO joined us on the hunt and got us headed the right direction. We walked out about a mile and set up on an area where elk often pass through. The sun finally came up but we saw no signs of any elk. Just when we decided to make a new plan a herd of 30 or so elk rolled in on us. We got the kids dialed in and waited for them to get closer. At 450 yards they were given the go ahead and both kids connected with their first elk.

I must say I've never seen them happier. It's been an awesome trip and we can't wait to come back...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My buddy from CO and I went out in the dark again yesterday morning and ambushed a smaller herd that was out grazing. I connected with an old broken warrior at 500 yards and he killed a nice bull at 450...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My sons bull was very unique...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: 3 bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Man! That's just great!!! Well done!!!
Posted By: SLM Re: 3 bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
The smiles on their faces says it all.

Congrats all the way around.
Posted By: 79S Re: 3 bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Congrats! Freezer full of meat.. Were you guys on private or public lands?
Posted By: Cinch Re: 3 bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Originally Posted by 79S

Private ranch... I have a good friend in NM that owns property...
Posted By: Brad Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
That's cool!

Congrat's on a good hunt.

You mind sharing the details on your rifle?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cinch Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
The rifle that my daughter and I used was a 260 made by GA Precision. Here's the specs...

Templar (Defiance) action
Bartlein 22" 8 twist #3 barrel
Manners Elite EH-6
Tuned old school Remington trigger
Montana sling
Nightforce Compact 2.5-10x42
140gr Amax @ 2800fps

I can't remember what it weighs... I'll let you know when I get home in a few days...

My son used my 16" 308 with 155 Lapua Scenars
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
cinch, that is some awesome stuff. don't forget the indian artifact thread when you get home.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
cinch, that is some awesome stuff. don't forget the indian artifact thread when you get home.

I'm on it like a rat on a cheeto Don... matter of fact we will be headed out directly to work on it...
Posted By: Brad Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Sweet rig!
Originally Posted by Brad
Sweet rig!

Thanks man, I like it a lot... I have another one just like it with a Bell and Carlson stock. I like the Manners quite a bit better. They shoot really well and have killed anything I need them to.
Posted By: bwinters Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
That is a beautiful thing with the kids involved. Good on you. Those memories will last forever.
Posted By: pointer Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Awesome! Congrats to all and an extra knuckle bump for Dad.
Nice!

What's it like hunting elk where everything isn't straight up and down?
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Nice!

What's it like hunting elk where everything isn't straight up and down?

Lmao it's really nice down here... there are some high bluffs but otherwise they're just rolling hills covered in smaller juniper type trees. Nothing like the high country at all...

But it's been really windy here so I still feel somewhat at home...
Posted By: SKane Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
This, right here, is freaking awesome!

Hope you have plenty of freezer space. *grins*
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
A+! Great job and congrats to all the hunters.
Nice job Jamie! Tell those kids congrats!
CONGRATULATIONS!
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Cinch congrats to you - looks like all the kids had a great time & a successful hunt. And another GAP rifle in action, whats not to like:)
Posted By: wageslave Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Outstanding work.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Awesome!
Thanks for all the kind words, guys... it's definitely been the coolest thing we've ever done. We have an open invitation to come back whenever we can/want and we are going to take full advantage of it...
Posted By: SKane Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Originally Posted by Cinch
We have an open invitation to come back whenever we can/want and we are going to take full advantage of it...

This is referred to as "icing on the cake". smile
Congrat's!
Posted By: Sendero_man Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
congrats ... great to see the kids do so good. that's what it is all about
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Man, that is just fantastic stuff right there. Big congrats from here and thanks for sharing the great pics.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Dang right, well done Cinch. smile
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Awesome Job Tell them Young ones good job,
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Congratulations to all of you! Great memories for all when the kids are involved like that. Thanks for sharing the pictures and smiles!
Posted By: rost495 Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
congrats... that sure seems like 4 bulls down though. LOL
Thanks again guys... The kids were a tremendous help with all the skinning and cutting to get them all hung in the cooler. That's quite a bit of hard work and they helped beginning to end. They'll be back in school and miss out on all the cutting and wrapping unfortunately...
Posted By: 79S Re: 3 bulls down in NM... - 10/18/16
Originally Posted by 79S

Private ranch... I have a good friend in NM that owns property...

Always good to have friends like that for sure!!
Posted By: Sako76 Re: 3 bulls down in NM... - 10/19/16
Congrats all around, kids making 450 yard shots is awesome, you did it right! I'm glad that 260 didn't bounce off!
Posted By: 163bc Re: 3 bulls down in NM... - 10/19/16
excellent !!
Posted By: Cinch Re: 3 bulls down in NM... - 10/19/16
Originally Posted by Sako76
Congrats all around, kids making 450 yard shots is awesome, you did it right! I'm glad that 260 didn't bounce off!

Yes sir... we shoot quite a bit and even got extra field scenario practice in for this trip. Conditions were absolutely perfect and the plan came together just like we'd hoped. Having good equipment is another huge part of the equation.

Posted By: smokepole Re: 3 bulls down in NM... - 10/19/16
Wow, congrats. With your kids getting their first in style, that's the hunt of a lifetime.

Yes sir... we shoot quite a bit and even got extra field scenario practice in for this trip. Conditions were absolutely perfect and the plan came together just like we'd hoped. Having good equipment is another huge part of the equation.

Besides the 260, I'm also impressed by the 16" 308 launching 155 Scenar, making clean 450 yard kill. Good stuff.

Posted By: Oldslowdog Re: 3 bulls down in NM... - 10/19/16

Well done Jamie!
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: 3 bulls down in NM... - 10/19/16
Yes Sir, That's what I call great family time well spent.
Congratulations to all. Enjoy all those good eats.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: 3 bulls down in NM... - 10/19/16
Congrats to you and the kids. Nice elk and great shooting. Goes to prove that you don't need a cannon to kill elk, just precision shooting. Curious what part of NM were you hunting? Lived in NM for some time a while back. The relic hunting can be awesome.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Besides the 260, I'm also impressed by the 16" 308 launching 155 Scenar, making clean 450 yard kill. Good stuff.

Absolutely... my son shot the 308 and hit his bull in the front side of the chest. He was dead on his feet but a round through the neck sealed the deal. I've never not been impressed with that bullet in any headstamp.
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Congrats to you and the kids. Nice elk and great shooting. Goes to prove that you don't need a cannon to kill elk, just precision shooting. Curious what part of NM were you hunting? Lived in NM for some time a while back. The relic hunting can be awesome.

I really think the 260 is the perfect all around rifle. It's dang sure never left me needing or wanting more. Good shots kill, bad shots sure don't always. No matter what's stamped on the end of your brass.

We were hunting outside of Thoreau. Beautiful country...
Posted By: efw Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/19/16
Wow man that is absolutely awesome; good on you for making your kids a priority!

They'll be eating well for quite a long time!

SO COOL!
Posted By: Prwlr Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/19/16
Thoreau, NM that is beautiful country. I lived in Portales, Roswell, and Albuquerque, but roamed all over the state for various reasons. NM exudes a feeling of age, a feeling of you being a new comer where ever you go.
Posted By: gonzaga Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/19/16
Excellent job Cinch......
Glad y'all were able to connect. If you need anything on the way back up feel free to hit me up...I should be around this weekend if you guys are coming back up through here.
Glad to see the kids hammered some nice Bulls.....
Posted By: Cinch Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/19/16
Originally Posted by gonzaga
Excellent job Cinch......
Glad y'all were able to connect. If you need anything on the way back up feel free to hit me up...I should be around this weekend if you guys are coming back up through here.
Glad to see the kids hammered some nice Bulls.....

Thanks bother I appreciate it... we will be headed north tomorrow as the kids need to get back for other projects. But I'll be back next year late spring early summer and I'll make sure we meet up...
Posted By: gonzaga Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/20/16
Sounds good, hope to se you then.
Safe travels Jamie.....
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/20/16
Jamie,
Congrats all around!
What bottom metal on your 260? APA DBM?
Posted By: Cinch Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/20/16
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Jamie,
Congrats all around!
What bottom metal on your 260? APA DBM?

Thanks man... That 260 has a PTG BDL style floorplate in it. Both of my GAP 260 hunting rifles have it and I've never had a problem one with them nor any feeding issues.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/20/16
10-4. I've got an EH-6 inlet for a Templar V1 SA and Badger M4 alloy bottom metal. Trying to decide what to do with it!
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/20/16
Thoreau, NM that is beautiful country. I lived in Portales, Roswell, and Albuquerque, but roamed all over the state for various reasons. NM exudes a feeling of age, a feeling of you being a new comer where ever you go.

It does indeed.

Great hunt, Cinch! That's just awesome, with the kids and all. Outstanding.

I bet your trucks turned a few heads on the way home! All horned up.
Posted By: Cinch Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/21/16
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
10-4. I've got an EH-6 inlet for a Templar V1 SA and Badger M4 alloy bottom metal. Trying to decide what to do with it!

I think you'll really like that stock. I'm going to replace the stock on my other 260 with one. It's definitely a new favorite...
Posted By: Cinch Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/21/16
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

It does indeed.

Great hunt, Cinch! That's just awesome, with the kids and all. Outstanding.

I bet your trucks turned a few heads on the way home! All horned up.

Thanks Jeff... I actually bought a cargo trailer for the trip. No way to get all my hunting gear plus coolers full of meat plus elk racks in a short bed truck. It worked out great.
Posted By: Huntr Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/21/16
Wow, congrats Cinch! What a great hunt!
Posted By: fredIII Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/22/16
Very cool feeling hauling a cargo trailer full of goods time home. Thanks for sharing. Nice bulls great family!!!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/22/16
This thread and a cup of coffee was a great way to start the morning. One day before I'm too old to elk hunt, I'll quit dreaming about it and just do it. Congrats to all of you. Those kids did well to connect at those ranges. I haven't spent any time in that part of the state, but when I passed through on a motorcycle trip it looked pretty "elky." My best memories of spending time with my kids all involve outdoor activities. You kids will carry that experience with them forever.
Posted By: Cinch Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/22/16
Thanks gents... it was definitely the most fun we've ever had! And the smiles on their faces were bigger then I've ever seen. The legal hunting age in WY is 12, so this bull elk is my sons very first big game kill. He will be the only kid in his school that's killed an elk!

Every single part of our trip was perfect. We will be back for sure to do it again. Hopefully sooner then later...
Posted By: Lapuagirl Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/22/16
I'm glad it was a perfect trip. Happy for you and the kids.
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/28/16
This should be the elk hut of the year. Really nice that the young folk were able to get an elk, great shooting on their part. Someone must have helped them learn to shoot...grin.

Very well done.
Posted By: Cinch Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/28/16
We all had the time of our lives and it was awesome watching the kids bag their first elk. I like how NM has no age limit. My son would wait 2 more years to hunt in WY. And yes those kids get to shoot quite a bit. We practiced all through the summer and I had no doubts they could get the job done. Having the right equipment always helps as well. Might just have to do this trip again next year...
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: 3 Bulls down in NM... - 10/28/16
Yeah, I think you should do this hunt again. Watching your kids hunt and take game is the best.
I always have a good time with my son when when we are together in the woods hunting or fishing. Then again, I like being with my son no matter what we are doing.

Cinch
Wishing you the best next year.
© 24hourcampfire