Home
I have a recenty divorced buddy who has gotten back into the outdoor scene. He has asked me to join him on an elk hunt. This would be a first elk hunt for both of us and I've always said I would kill my first in Colorado. We have no preference points and will be purchasing over the counter tag. I would prefer to hunt the first elk/deer rifle season, Oct. 21-29. I'm looking for recommendations on units, guiding services and any other important information that will help with the planning process. Horses would be a major bonus.
You can get horses from Sombrero but I believe the first season in Colorado in most OTC areas is draw. You might want to plan to go either second or third season. Second season is only a few days after the end of the first.

Good luck.
^Correct. No OTC for 1st season.

If you don't care about point hoarding, my recommendation would be to apply for a limited license that requires no PP's. So that's first or fourth season for most units. First season can be incredibly pleasant camping weather.

For a recently divorced dude, I would go fourth season and rejoice in some cold colorado freedom.

Edit: Horses are available just about everywhere you could want to hunt. Call around.
Op is talking about first combined season (I think)! You may need a point or two to draw a deer tag. Good luck!
Originally Posted by Sako76
Op is talking about first combined season (I think)! You may need a point or two to draw a deer tag. Good luck!

Correct, first combined season. My work schedule prevents me from hunting in November and December, yeah, super lame. I think a new compound bow may become a necessity in the near future.
Stick--there is plenty of public land in units 12,13 and 4.
Got it.

Hmmm.... Where to hunt 2nd season....
Originally Posted by Stick1330

Correct, first combined season. My work schedule prevents me from hunting in November and December, yeah, super lame. I think a new compound bow may become a necessity in the near future.

Commonly called 2nd Rifle by we who live in Colorado. The hunt code would have a 02R
Do some research and post back with some more specific questions and you'll get a better response!

Correct and correct.
Originally Posted by Stick1330

Then you will have to go in late October during the second combined rifle season.

Stick--there is plenty of public land in units 12,13 and 4.

Agree, along with plenty of hunters.
© 24hourcampfire