Home
Posted By: CBB Boots? - 02/15/17
Going to Montana this September. Need a size 15 wide.
Any suggestions for a good boot?
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Boots? - 02/15/17
Insulated canoe?
Posted By: BWalker Re: Boots? - 02/15/17
I bought a pair of Meindl Alaskan this year and love them. Haven't worn My Danner Canadians since I bought them.
With that said everyone's feet are different.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Boots? - 02/15/17
My favorites are Crispi Hunters. Italian made and feel more like bedroom slippers than insulated boots.

I have owned many top brands and these are my all time favorites.

donsm70
Posted By: munsterlander Re: Boots? - 02/15/17
Check out Lathrop and sons for boots. If they don't have 15s, I think Schnees in Bozeman does, check their Granite boot.
I wear 14's, but not quite their with you.
Posted By: laker Re: Boots? - 02/16/17
Kennetrek mountain extremes are the only boot I've found I could get more than 2 seasons out of before they where trash. The pair I have now are going on their third season with no signs of slowing down. I love them
Posted By: beretzs Re: Boots? - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by laker
Kennetrek mountain extremes are the only boot I've found I could get more than 2 seasons out of before they where trash. The pair I have now are going on their third season with no signs of slowing down. I love them

Same problem here and I'm running the Mountain Guide series. Love them. This year will be #4. Probably need some new Superfeet this year though.
Posted By: Cigar Re: Boots? - 02/17/17
Originally Posted by taz4570
Insulated canoe?

What the Hell... That is funny... Poor Guy asked a question and gets this.....
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Boots? - 02/17/17
Originally Posted by CBB

Just watch going around barefoot at camp , some nuts with cameras will start following you around!!!

All Kidding aside I wear Kenetrek Hardscrabbles and am quite happy with them. I never wear insulated boots ,just a mid weight wool sock.....
Posted By: CBB Re: Boots? - 02/17/17
Originally Posted by Cigar
Insulated canoe?

What the Hell... That is funny... Poor Guy asked a question and gets this.....

It's all good, I've heard every joke in the book about it. Besides its the 'fire, never know what kind of response you will get on here!
Posted By: CBB Re: Boots? - 02/17/17
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by CBB

Just watch going around barefoot at camp , some nuts with cameras will start following you around!!!

All Kidding aside I wear Kenetrek Hardscrabbles and am quite happy with them. I never wear insulated boots ,just a mid weight wool sock.....

I was thinking no insulation, or 200 gram considering I'd be moving around a lot and not need the insulation.
Posted By: Wyogal Re: Boots? - 02/17/17
Originally Posted by CBB

Hey, hey, OK, so I took a couple pictures...
Can be settled with one question.
CBB, were you running around barefoot last February in the hills outside Red Canyon, WY? laugh
Posted By: bwinters Re: Boots? - 02/18/17
I'd consider Cabelas Meindl. I've heard some have issues with them not lasting as long as 'they should'. I hunted a pair last year and put ~ 200 miles on them in steep/ugly, flat/wet, hot/cold, wet/dry and couldn't find fault. Time will tell. I tried on a pair of Denali's this week (non-insulated) and will likely end up with a pair of them before season gets here.
Posted By: laker Re: Boots? - 02/18/17
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'd consider Cabelas Meindl. I've heard some have issues with them not lasting as long as 'they should'. I hunted a pair last year and put ~ 200 miles on them in steep/ugly, flat/wet, hot/cold, wet/dry and couldn't find fault. Time will tell. I tried on a pair of Denali's this week (non-insulated) and will likely end up with a pair of them before season gets here.

I tried a pair of those cabelas meindl and they were really comfortable right from the start. Made it through a season with them and the start of the second season they completely blew out.
Posted By: CBB Re: Boots? - 02/18/17
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Originally Posted by CBB

Hey, hey, OK, so I took a couple pictures...
Can be settled with one question.
CBB, were you running around barefoot last February in the hills outside Red Canyon, WY? laugh

Nope, never been to Wyo!!
Posted By: CBB Re: Boots? - 02/18/17
Bad news about Cabelas and big feet..

they dont carry sch!t in my size!
Posted By: bwinters Re: Boots? - 02/18/17
I've heard that but am hoping to get 3 seasons from them. I normally don't get boots to last beyond 3-4 seasons.
Posted By: timat46 Re: Boots? - 02/18/17
Lowa offers larger sizes.I wear 14 seems like anything over 13 and your options are pretty limeted
Tim
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Boots? - 02/19/17
I've got 5 hard years on my Lowgvgtx sheep hunters and no sign of them failing. Will replace with the same when the time comes
Posted By: tdbob Re: Boots? - 02/24/17
If you're willing to spend the ducats, USA made Danner USMC RAT boots. I've got a pair with 3 seasons of use and they show very little signs of wear and they are very comfortable. The downside is they're a little heavy and butt ugly.
http://www.danner.com/usmc-rat-8-mojave-gtx.html?currency=USD&gclid=CPeQ5PTPoNICFQp3fgod5bcJ0A
Posted By: kingston Re: Boots? - 02/24/17
Insulated canoe?

X2
Posted By: kingston Re: Boots? - 02/24/17
Originally Posted by CBB

And I thought having a huge pecker was a liability—here's to walking a mile in another man's shoes.
Posted By: CBB Re: Boots? - 02/24/17
Originally Posted by tdbob
If you're willing to spend the ducats, USA made Danner USMC RAT boots. I've got a pair with 3 seasons of use and they show very little signs of wear and they are very comfortable. The downside is they're a little heavy and butt ugly.
http://www.danner.com/usmc-rat-8-mojave-gtx.html?currency=USD&gclid=CPeQ5PTPoNICFQp3fgod5bcJ0A

Thanks, dont much care about looks just want a good comfortable boot.
Posted By: skeen Re: Boots? - 02/24/17
Originally Posted by tdbob

+2 on the RAT boots. I got a pair and they are comfortable, waterproof and wear like iron.
Took some gettin' used to, with the Marine Corps Eagle, Globe and Anchor on the side. Me being an ol' Army guy, and all. wink
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Boots? - 02/24/17
I would have one of the custom builders make you some.
I have a pair of Russell Moccasin Toe lace climbers that are great boots. There are a few others that will make boots to fit also.
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Boots? - 02/25/17
I'm retired military (40+years) and one of the best things to come out of the Army is the phenomenal boots developed during the program PEO Soldier in the early 2000s. The Belleville 390 series have been worn into combat by several million soldiers under the most rigorous conditions for over ten years. They require no break-in and are extremely comfortable on your feet all day. I'm over 65 without the best arches and an evolving bunion on one foot. In addition to my personal hunting, I'm also a upland bird guide and dog trainer and my 2004 boots still hold up and do their job.

The only other thing I would recommend is to combine them with Thorlos boot socks. If you have the opportunity, buy the socks first and wear them to try on any boot you are looking at. My regular shoe size is 8.5 medium and with the Belleville boot + Thorlos sock, I wear a 9.5 wide (most of my mil bud's also go with a wide(r) size with the Belleville 390.)

Last note: the 390 series is listed as a warm weather boot and it works well in desert heat but it is also very warm with the right socks and although our soldiers are also issued a cold weather (insulated) version, most stick with the 390 in all but the coldest environments.
© 24hourcampfire