Home
Posted By: slingblade Topo Maps for elk hunting - 03/24/17
I am hunting new area and I am looking into ordering some custom maps of area. I am looking for advice on what scale is useful and what company makes best maps. I also see some places like elk finder maps that locate prime areas within the designated area you looking to hunt. Are these helpful? Thanks Slingblade
You can download topos here free.

https://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(ctype=areaDetails&xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&carea=%24ROOT&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2)/.do

Posted By: bwinters Re: Topo Maps for elk hunting - 03/24/17
I've used MyTopo quite a bit. I find 1:24000 to 1:30000 scale to be the most useful.

For me, I spend alot of time on Google Earth in 3d looking at vegetation in relation to topography then compare what I'm seeing to a paper topo map. I tend to take/keep notes on the paper topo map and have it in my pack. I whip out the paper map a bunch during mid-day and compare to where my GPS says I'm at. I always have a game plan when I move around. The way I do maps helps me develop a game plan before I move and helps when I'm changing the plan on the fly. It's pretty tough to recall vegetation and topo correlations while you're out in the field. Some of the newer phone apps work but they don't work in some situations. The paper notes/map works under all circumstances.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Topo Maps for elk hunting - 03/24/17
PDF maps with underlying image

Go there and download to ones desires. Super resolution maps and a good image beneath. All for free.

Do read and follow their directions. One can auger in, search for geographic names, or input decimal degree coordinates in the search box.

Google earth is also good. I could actually see pronghorn on the images when doing my remote scouting last season.
Guess I'm old. I got my topo maps at the local sporting goods store for the unit I was hunting. I used them for my bighorn sheep hunt & mtn goat. Elk hunting was boots on the ground.
This one might be easier.

http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/pdf-quads

ColoradoBob.I have a bunch of topos that we use to pay 30-50 cents each for. Now they run about $10 each at a map store.Not much cheaper if ordered thru USGS in Denver. Usually one needs four quads for a given area. That is $40. I'm too cheap to pay that.

I even had some of the Flat Tops that were blue prints because they were not in distribution yet
I killed my sheep & goat back in the early 90's. Guess they went up in price.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Topo Maps for elk hunting - 03/24/17
My hunting buddy and I have used MyTopo maps for several years now. Great maps and they are good folks to work with.
Posted By: Alann Re: Topo Maps for elk hunting - 03/24/17
Tag for later.
I also recommend the National Geographic maps.

This is an example, tough and water resistant. Fits in the pack easily.

https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Nation...266&sr=8-2&keywords=nat+geo+maps
The Nat Geo maps are the best out there
Thanks everyone for replies
Posted By: Elkmen Re: Topo Maps for elk hunting - 03/26/17
I am headed into a new unit for Wyoming elk this year. I have already spent 10 hours on Google Earth. And will spend many more, then arrive a few days early for scouting. A few years ago in a different unit, using GE I had located three areas that I thought would hold elk. I killed a bull in one of those three areas. Even with GE, get all the maps you can gather.
Posted By: Elkmen Re: Topo Maps for elk hunting - 03/26/17
I am headed into a new unit for Wyoming elk this year. I have already spent 10 hours on Google Earth. And will spend many more, then arrive a few days early for scouting. A few years ago in a different unit, using GE I had located three areas that I thought would hold elk. I killed a bull in one of those three areas. Even with GE, get all the maps you can gather.
Has anyone used the elk tracker maps or elk finder maps where they identify the areas with in a given area?
Posted By: Aviator Re: Topo Maps for elk hunting - 03/26/17
Tag
Originally Posted by exbiologist
The Nat Geo maps are the best out there

Yep.
tag
Originally Posted by saddlesore
This one might be easier.

ColoradoBob.I have a bunch of topos that we use to pay 30-50 cents each for. Now they run about $10 each at a map store.Not much cheaper if ordered thru USGS in Denver. Usually one needs four quads for a given area. That is $40. I'm too cheap to pay that.

I even had some of the Flat Tops that were blue prints because they were not in distribution yet

At one point I must've had 70-80 topo maps of various places in the Rockies. I second the NatGeo maps.

Casey
Ordered me some NAT GEO maps..
Posted By: mlschnei Re: Topo Maps for elk hunting - 04/02/17
Keep tagging this one
Nat Geo used to have a map program called TOPO!. I have the set for Idaho. It's mainly all the USGS topo maps for the entire state (or a group of the smaller states) along with features from tracking, printing, searching, etc. I don't see it on their website so I guess they dropped it. Mine must be 20 years old now.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Topo Maps for elk hunting - 04/02/17
I'd suggest the USGS 7.5 (quadrangle) maps vs anything of bigger scale...

Google Earth and the 7.5s will tell you a lot about an area...but nothing beats scouting first hand.
The web site I gave is National Geographic maps. Only difference is they are free and you print them out.They are 7.5'

Their trail maps skip Idaho almost entirely in spite of our huge wilderness acreage. Admittedly, the Frank, one of the biggest in the lower 48, has almost no trails for them to put on a map.
Great Information guys thanks
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Their trail maps skip Idaho almost entirely in spite of our huge wilderness acreage. Admittedly, the Frank, one of the biggest in the lower 48, has almost no trails for them to put on a map.

Several of my fav hunting areas aren't covered by NatGeo nor any of the other popular maps--I hope it stays that way!

Casey
Posted By: prm Re: Topo Maps for elk hunting - 04/03/17
I use custom MyTopo maps with imagery and terrain overlays. Best of all worlds. 1:15000.
tag
© 24hourcampfire