Home
Posted By: KC CO Applications Submitted - 03/28/17
I just submitted all my applications.

I won't get the following: frown

- Bull Elk Tag in a premium trophy unit - I have 19 points but it takes 23 in the unit where I applied.

- Buck Mule Deer Tag - I hunted deer last year so I have zero points and it takes at least two in the unit where I applied.

I might get the following: confused

- Buck Pronghorn in a trophy unit - I have 15 points.
- If I don't get the buck tag, I'll get another point and doe tag in a so-so unit, which is historically undersubscribed.

- Either Sex Mountain Goat Tag - I have 3 + 14 points.

I'll probably get the following: grin

- Another point for elk
- Antlerless Elk Tag for the 3rd Season in a historically undersubscribed unit
- Over the Counter Bull Elk Tag in same unit as Cow Elk Tag

- A point for deer.
- Doe Mule Deer Tag in the Late Plains season.

- Another point for Pronghorns.
- Doe Pronghorn Tag.

- Another year of disappointment for Mountain Goats.

KC

Originally Posted by KC
I just submitted all my applications.

I won't get the following: frown

- Bull Elk Tag in a premium trophy unit - I have 19 points but it takes 23 in the unit where I applied.

- Buck Mule Deer Tag - I hunted deer last year so I have zero points and it takes at least two in the unit where I applied.

I might get the following: confused

- Buck Pronghorn in a trophy unit - I have 15 points.
- If I don't get the buck tag, I'll get another point and doe tag in a so-so unit, which is historically undersubscribed.

- Either Sex Mountain Goat Tag - I have 3 + 14 points.

I'll probably get the following: grin

- Another point for elk
- Antlerless Elk Tag for the 3rd Season in a historically undersubscribed unit
- Over the Counter Bull Elk Tag in same unit as Cow Elk Tag

- A point for deer.
- Doe Mule Deer Tag in the Late Plains season.

- Another point for Pronghorns.
- Doe Pronghorn Tag.

- Another year of disappointment for Mountain Goats.

KC

Although I was lucky enough to draw a goat tag back in the early 80's, the CPW out lasted me and I got too old to hunt them. I don't put in anymore for goat or sheep.

I will probably get my cow elk ML tag,but don't know what I will do for the rifle season.Everyone has stopped hunting now and I will have to go it alone.MY long time hunting partner has bad hip and can't ride,and the other doesn't have a horse or mule and doesn't wan to rent two in the same year.

Might get a ML deer tag for out east,but no antelope tag.I have an invite to hunt whitetails in Nebraska at that time
I'll be bowhunting elk and deer (if I can get a buck tag) with a bud from out of state.

Then of course, rifle hunting for moose, when I draw the bull tag......
KC thanks for the info and good luck this year. You have me very curious on the idiosyncrasies of the draw system in CO I've studied it quite a bit and I'm in the point game with 2 pts now and hope to draw a NR Pronghorn hunt next year.

I'm curious aboutt things such as how you get your doe tags. Are these on a secondary draw/left over sale?

I'd be happy to share NM trade secrets with you about the draw system here.
-Jon

On my calendar to buy deer and elk points this week. Already have a Dall Sheep and Moose hunt for this year.

10 NR deer points for next year's draw.

4 for elk. Want to do a muzzy hunt for that.
This is the last year for paper applications. I sent my elk application in the day after I received the brochure. It's an either sex tag for 1st rifle season.

I've got 3 points with 14 weighted points for moose. I've been applying since day one. I'm thinking about giving up on moose.

Sheep & mtn goat---I've already killed both. I don't apply for either.

Antelope---11 points. I use to hunt unit 2 but it has slipped in the past few years. I don't apply anymore.

Deer---I've got enough for a high country buck hunt. I don't know if my legs can do another timber line hunt.

What I'm really happy about is a spring turkey tag for the Bosque del Oso. I drew that tag this spring.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/28/17
I plan to spend 17 points on a trophy antelope tag in SE Colorado. Not a sure thing but better than 50/50 chance.

Will spend a point on a cow elk tag for a nice unit in SW Colorado.

Maybe a Bighorn ewe tag.

Maybe I can come up with a 2nd choice deer tag but maybe not.

Collect points for moose, goat, deer.
Posted By: KC Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
KC thanks for the info and good luck this year. You have me very curious on the idiosyncrasies of the draw system in CO I've studied it quite a bit and I'm in the point game with 2 pts now and hope to draw a NR Pronghorn hunt next year.

I'm curious about things such as how you get your doe tags. Are these on a secondary draw/leftover sale?

I'd be happy to share NM trade secrets with you about the draw system here.
-Jon

Jon:

I sent you a PM. I could benefit from learning about the draw system in NM. Let's correspond.

KC

Originally Posted by colorado bob
... I sent my elk application in the day after I received the brochure. It's an either sex tag for 1st rifle season.

I've got 3 points with 14 weighted points for moose. I've been applying since day one. I'm thinking about giving up on moose. Don't give up.

Sheep & mtn goat---I've already killed both. I don't apply for either. I've also killed one of each but I still have points for goats.

Antelope---11 points. I use to hunt unit 2 but it has slipped in the past few years. I don't apply anymore. There are lots of other good places to hunt speed goats in CO and in WY.

Deer---I've got enough for a high country buck hunt. I don't know if my legs can do another timberline hunt. Good Luck.

What I'm really happy about is a spring turkey tag for the Bosque del Oso. I drew that tag this spring. Happy for you. grin

KC

Originally Posted by saddlesore
Although I was lucky enough to draw a goat tag back in the early 80's, the CPW out lasted me and I got too old to hunt them. I don't put in anymore for goat or sheep.

I will probably get my cow elk ML tag,but don't know what I will do for the rifle season.Everyone has stopped hunting now and I will have to go it alone.MY long time hunting partner has bad hip and can't ride,and the other doesn't have a horse or mule and doesn't wan to rent two in the same year.

Might get a ML deer tag for out east,but no antelope tag.I have an invite to hunt whitetails in Nebraska at that time

Vince:

I'm going back to unit 54. I know that chances are slim but I know the area so well that it just seems comfortable. It will probably be a nice camping trip. I'm not going to camp where we camped a few years ago. I'm going to camp elsewhere. Wanna' come?

KC

PM sent
Put in for a ML bull tag and should get it with the three points I have. Also put in for a doe tag as my first and second choice and buck for third and fourth choice all for third or fourth season. Might get a deer tag but probably not since I drew a buck tag last year in the same unit. I will probably pick up an over the counter tag for the late season cow elk tag like I did two years ago.
Posted By: warmutt Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/28/17
PP for elk and PP for deer this year. My first point for each. Want to buy another couple of preference points in CO next year and then hunt elk with an OTC tag, or try to draw a 4th season as a second choice.

Am I correct in thinking that drawing on a second choice won't use up your preference points???
Posted By: TomA Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/28/17
Put in for my non resident archery either sex Elk tag in unit 76 which takes 12-13 points, I only have 9. Just getting another preference point. I opted for over the counter either sex Elk if not drawn. Put in for Buck Mule Deer tag for GMU 63 and should draw that with 1 preference point. At 67 years old, I plan on solo archery hunting and really could care less if I am successful or not. I'm going hunting period, in an area I have hunted over the past 20+ years. Love the Colorado mountains, Tom.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/28/17
I put in for NR Unit 12 third combined buck mule deer with no points, I doubt I'll draw and get a PP. Bull elk is OTC, hopefully the outfitter will have Landowner tags! If I can't get a buck deer tag I might get an OTC cow tag. Good luck all!
Originally Posted by warmutt

Am I correct in thinking that drawing on a second choice won't use up your preference points???

That's correct, second choice and subsequent choices do not use preference points.

Posted By: prm Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/29/17
Getting ready to submit.

Elk will be an attempt at a 1st rifle although I have 0 points. Fall back will be an OTC archery bull license.

Deer, I'd like to hear back from game warden on how bad winter has been. I have 8 points. Not enough for a prime 3rd/4th rifle. Think I'll just go for a 2nd season. Ready to hunt.

Will put in for Antelope PP. Like to hunt those in a year or two.

Possibly put in for a Bighorn PP. It would be the start of a many year quest. Have 0 now as it's hard to shell our $2100 even for a few months. Really disappointed I can't even get a license in the area I grew up. Non residents are not eligible. So much for 'our' National forests... Yes, I'm bitter about that.

Drawing a 2nd choice is interesting. That would take a unique circumstance for that to happen. Basically every first choice applicant, even those with 0 points, would have to draw first correct?
Posted By: 30338 Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/29/17
Look at the draw statistics. If it says drawn out at second choice, then you at least know what happened last year.

Posted By: KC Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by prm
Possibly put in for a Bighorn PP. It would be the start of a many year quest. Have 0 now as it's hard to shell our $2100 even for a few months. Really disappointed I can't even get a license in the area I grew up. Non residents are not eligible. So much for 'our' National forests... Yes, I'm bitter about that.

Drawing a 2nd choice is interesting. That would take a unique circumstance for that to happen. Basically every first choice applicant, even those with 0 points, would have to draw first correct?

It depends on which species. For bighorns (I'm guessing that's what you were referring to), mountain goats, desert bighorns, and moose, I don't bother to indicate a second choice because none are ever drawn. There are always more first choice applicants than there are tags offered. However, for other species there are lots of second choice tags issued. In fact in many hunt codes there are more tags offered than there are applicants and they start selling leftover tags in early August. Some tags are offered and not purchased.

KC

Posted By: tedthorn Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/29/17
Just points for me this year

NW Colorado elk unit statistics are full of people who..................... shall we say are dreamers?

There are 150 people ahead of you(KC) fighting for 16 tags a year in the preference, plus the hybrid 4. It could take 9 years to get drawn for 201 for someone with 19 points currently.

If it were me, I'd submit an application change and take the 19 points for unit 2 muzzleloader. Buy a muzzloader and have fun over the summer shooting it! AND be out of the depressing CO elk point game.
KC---mailed my moose application today. Unit 28 bull--rifle. Bob
We all put in for an elk Preference Point as 1st choice, Unit 12 cow tag 2nd, which we should all get.

Some/most/all of us will get an OTC bull tag as well.

I put in for a buck tag for Unit 4 or 12, I forget. I'd look at the receipt and figure out which but I'm here and it's back home. Others may put in for a deer tag as well, particularly Daughter #1.

Don't know if anyone is putting in for antelope Preference Points as we all have adequate Preference Points for our needs and we won't be hunting antelope in Colorado this year anyway. Going back to WY with a couple (hopefully) doe tags in my pocket. Others are getting doe tags as well.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/29/17
I'm sitting in the middle of no-man's land with 10 elk points. I'll probably do preference points this year and think more seriously about some sort of compromise strategy next year or in the coming years, near term.

Burned my deer points a while ago so only 2 points there.

At 56, I'm looking hard at getting out of the points game in CO sooner than later.
Posted By: KC Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/29/17

bob:

Good Luck

KC

Posted By: Bighorn Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/30/17
I drew my CO bull moose tag a few years back, after 16 years of accumulation PP and weighted PP's.

I hope to draw a trophy pronghorn unit in SE CO this season, with my 18 pref points it should happen this year. Endless point creep has been my nemesis for years now. Last year with 17 points I thought it was a sure thing, but someone drew one of the hybrid tags, and I ended up the odd man out.

For deer, it will be a late season whitetail tag for my farm in SE CO- draw is usually easy with no PP's.

If the trail cam picks up elk movement on my farm, I will buy an OTC tag.

At age 70, it's time to start burning up those accumulated pref points and go hunting!
Posted By: Alamosa Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/30/17
Originally Posted by Bighorn

I hope to draw a trophy pronghorn unit in SE CO this season, with my 18 pref points it should happen this year. Endless point creep has been my nemesis for years now. Last year with 17 points I thought it was a sure thing, but someone drew one of the hybrid tags, and I ended up the odd man out.

You must be applying for one of the same tags in that area that I am that require that many points.

I think that 3 or so years ago either of us could have drawn either of those hunt codes.

I put in for Purgatoire this go round.

Good Luck!
Posted By: Bighorn Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/30/17
Purgatoire here as well!
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/30/17
Is the computer system just as bad as in years past? I petitioned CO CPW to drop their vendor from Dallas, but my pleas fell on deaf ears.
Posted By: ro1459 Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/30/17
Originally Posted by Sako76
I put in for NR Unit 12 third combined buck mule deer with no points, I doubt I'll draw and get a PP. Bull elk is OTC, hopefully the outfitter will have Landowner tags! If I can't get a buck deer tag I might get an OTC cow tag. Good luck all!
What Guide in Unit 12 has "Landowner Tags?" Also, Unit 12 has always been a draw for Cow tags. Has that changed? Good luck with your Mulie draw.
Posted By: BigPine Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/30/17
Getting together with my 2 sons tomorrow night to submit our Archery either sex elk tag. We each have one preference point which is enough to get us in our unit. My second time and my boys first. Waited a long time for this.
I'm 57 so the idea of collecting points for me is a dream. I want to hunt something every year I have left so I'm not picky. I usually draw the unit I want for something and then hit the leftover/OTC tags that are left. So far it has been successful, and I have never not hunted. For me I just want to fill the freezer and if I get lucky and get a trophy, so much the better.
Posted By: 30338 Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/30/17
That's my plan as well. If I hit two points for something other than sheep, something has gone wrong.
Posted By: warmutt Re: CO Applications Submitted - 03/30/17
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by warmutt

That's correct, second choice and subsequent choices do not use preference points.

Thank you. Semper Fi
Originally Posted by 30338
That's my plan as well. If I hit two points for something other than sheep, something has gone wrong.

You old farts should live a little.
Originally Posted by smokepole

I had two sheep tags= 1 nice ram. A goat tag=not so big, a moose tag=a cow, and a 201 elk tag= a 343 bull.Killed plenty of antelope and mulies

Other than a bear,which I don't want, I can't think of any thing else .I do have a good Whitetail ML buck hunt late this year.
Had I moved to CO earlier in life, maybe but sheep, goats, moose really don't interest me. If I win the lottery....nah still wouldn't spend the money on a govener's tag ,etc. just apply in more states for elk and deer. Besides I have to squirrel money away for tow college degrees, two weddings, that alone will be a small fortune. Hell by the time my daughters are married I'll probably need a walker to get down the isle, I started really late in life.
Better late than never!

And PS, I was just yanking '338's chain.
Posted By: 30338 Re: CO Applications Submitted - 04/03/17
I knew you were. Good luck in your draws. Hope to see you at Don's place sometime.
Better late than never!

And PS, I was just yanking '338's chain.

Yea,I knew.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: CO Applications Submitted - 04/03/17
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I had two sheep tags= 1 nice ram. A goat tag=not so big, a moose tag=a cow, and a 201 elk tag= a 343 bull.Killed plenty of antelope and mulies

Other than a bear,which I don't want, I can't think of any thing else .I do have a good Whitetail ML buck hunt late this year.

As a Colorado resident all my life, this state has been very good to me over the years, in terms of draw:

1 bull moose tag, one bull moose
Numerous elk tags for both cow and bull, lots of elk ended up in the freezer
2 sheep tags, one for Desert bighorn, one for RM Bighorn, two rams taken
A handful of pronghorn tags, two taken with bow
2 black bear, both with bow
1 mountain lion, with bow
Too many mule deer and whitetail tags to recount.
A half dozen wild turkeys

Hopefully as I indicated earlier, this year's draw will yield another pronghorn tag and a whitetail tag. In spite of the liberal politics of this state, it still offers up some great hunting opportunities!
It was pretty good to me also Bighorn.I only ran out of years.Quit with the sheep and goat as I'm too old to hunt like that.I put in for the RFW cow moose because I figured they were not ever going to give me a bull moose tag when I could still get out and do it.
It was a hell of a run though while it lasted
I should get my cow tag, have a 50-50 chance on my buck tag, didn't put in for 'lopes and really have no idea where to go since I've never hunted them but will have 3 points after this for them... and if I draw my cow tag getting an OTC archery either sex tag.
I have 8 elk and 5 deer points and 10 years to use them. Not giving them $40 apiece for more points that are essentially meaningless for top tier units due to point creep. I've hunted Colorado many times and hope to again, but not this year. Good luck to all you guys in the draw!
Posted By: Aviator Re: CO Applications Submitted - 04/03/17
Just got mine done!
Posted By: BeanMan Re: CO Applications Submitted - 04/04/17

Bob, if you draw I will come help with the pack out.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: CO Applications Submitted - 04/04/17
Applied for a unit 61 3rd season cow tag which I might draw, a unit 31 buck tag which I should draw, a Moose tag with 3+13 which would surprise the heck out of me if I drew it, and a doe pronghorn tag which I won't draw. I will also hunt a B list cow just for fun.
Sounds good to me
Posted By: mudhen Re: CO Applications Submitted - 04/04/17
Realized this AM that I had not submitted mine. Applied for my usual private land either-sex elk tag, first rifle. Usually a guaranteed draw. If it's not, I will be out there with my cameras, anyway. grin
Posted By: KC Re: CO Applications Submitted - 04/04/17
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
didn't put in for 'lopes and really have no idea where to go since I've never hunted them but will have 3 points after this for them...

Taco:

Today is the last day to apply. Put in for A-M-111-O1-R. That's East of Simla, to Limon between highway 24, and highway 94, and highway 71. You should draw with 2 points. You won't see any huge B&C bucks but you'll probably come home with a nice representative buck. Send me a PM and I'll give you the info on landowners who will let you hunt.

KC

Posted By: tedthorn Re: CO Applications Submitted - 04/04/17
Just a little bit over 2K sent to Colorado seconds ago.

Just to get 5 points....Of course I get a lot of it back but damn !!!!!!
Posted By: JonS Re: CO Applications Submitted - 04/04/17
$935 for me, get some back as I applied for preference points for sheep, goats, moose, and pronghorn.
Elk up north as first choice, 50% chance of success, archery down south as second choice, might be time to chase wapiti with a bow and a good buddy!
Deer out east with another friend and it should be a good year.
I had 11 pref points, going to have 12, for antelope, need ot figure out what to do with them and find a great buck.
I usually head to WY and chase the speed goats, as they're too much fun!
Good luck to all,
Jon
Originally Posted by JonS
..... might be time to chase wapiti with a bow and a good buddy!

You're bringing a buddy? Sheesh! grin

Good luck Jon.
I just put in for preference points on everything and then put in some late season draws within 50 miles of here. There was also a new season for the whole month of December for doe antelope out by Limon, so I put in for that after the PP.
Posted By: BigPine Re: CO Applications Submitted - 04/05/17
My oldest son, who usually waits til the last minute on things, did as expected again , but he did apply for his E/S archery elk tag last night. He is 24 and his little brother is 21. I've waited most of their lives to hunt elk with them . There will be five of us going in on horseback the first week of September. I'm pretty pumped and so are they.
Do it as long as you can BigPine. Old man time catches us all in the end.
Posted By: BigPine Re: CO Applications Submitted - 04/05/17
That's my intent. I have friends that have been going for 30 years. I kept putting them off because I wanted to go with my boys for our first time , but I went two years ago when they were both in School and I thought it would be several more years before they had the time and funds. I'll be 53 this month , so I should have it in me for quite awhile yet.Hopefully
Originally Posted by BigPine
That's my intent. I have friends that have been going for 30 years. I kept putting them off because I wanted to go with my boys for our first time , but I went two years ago when they were both in School and I thought it would be several more years before they had the time and funds. I'll be 53 this month , so I should have it in me for quite awhile yet.Hopefully

53, just a youngster.I'm still going at 73. A lot slower and it is close to coming to an end though.
© 24hourcampfire