Home
Posted By: avagadro m1917 rifles .... - 10/28/14
Who sells good quality restored rifles? I want to get into GSM matches, but need a good quality and fairly accurate M1917. Is there an outfit such as James River that sells restored variants?

Thanks
gjh
Posted By: tmitch Re: m1917 rifles .... - 10/29/14
The CMP has a custom shop now that will work over your M1917....new barrels, truing receiver, lapping bolt lugs, trigger work, metal & wood finishing, etc. Was at my LGS today and they had several decent Eddystones on the rack in the $400-600 range.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/customshop.htm#inventorylist
Posted By: avagadro Re: m1917 rifles .... - 10/29/14
Thanks .... they're as rare as hens teeth here even the beaters are pulling $700-800.
Posted By: tmitch Re: m1917 rifles .... - 10/29/14
They had one for under $400 that was still in cosmoline from UK lend lease return I believe. It had the red paint on the forend to differentiate it from the P14 .303. I'll post a link when I can, their website is down today for some reason.

http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/sproducts.aspx?srch=y
Posted By: avagadro Re: m1917 rifles .... - 10/29/14
thanks!!

Posted By: Seafire Re: m1917 rifles .... - 10/31/14
Sheesh,

I bought my 1917 Enfield for $110 at a gun shop in Roseburg Oregon right around 2000...

Winchester Receiver, Remington Barrel... its a tack driver, with the 1918 made Remington Barrel...

If I wanted one spruced up right, I'd be sending it to Kaywoodie down in Texas....
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: m1917 rifles .... - 10/31/14
Good bit of info there seafire. I love the m1917's. However, I started out with one when I was 12, so I'm a little partial. One of my buddies has a Winchester m1917 and he is hard on it. He will shoot one right after the other until the oil starts coming out of the stock. When he's done, his hands are brown and the right side of his face is too. His rifle is nearly shot out but we still manage 3" (10 shot) groups at 100 yards with the factory/military sights. I have a lot of respect for these rifles as they always function perfectly and they can take a lot of abuse. When I'm at a new gunshop, I always stop to look at the m1917's. Sporterized or in original drab, makes no difference to me..
Posted By: RGK Re: m1917 rifles .... - 11/03/14
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good bit of info there seafire. I love the m1917's. However, I started out with one when I was 12, so I'm a little partial. One of my buddies has a Winchester m1917 and he is hard on it. He will shoot one right after the other until the oil starts coming out of the stock. When he's done, his hands are brown and the right side of his face is too. His rifle is nearly shot out but we still manage 3" (10 shot) groups at 100 yards with the factory/military sights. I have a lot of respect for these rifles as they always function perfectly and they can take a lot of abuse. When I'm at a new gunshop, I always stop to look at the m1917's. Sporterized or in original drab, makes no difference to me..

I like 'em, too. Superior (and stronger) to the '03 Springfield, with better combat sights.
Bob
© 24hourcampfire