Home
Posted By: Kenneth Oil or grease on the BCG? - 12/01/20
Don't say Lube, too generic.
Oil.
Posted By: TWR Re: Oil or grease on the BCG? - 12/01/20
If the late Pat Rogers could use Vagisil, you can just say lube.
http://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-keep-your-carbine-running/
What about both?

Posted By: auk1124 Re: Oil or grease on the BCG? - 12/01/20
Ballistol
A good AR isn't that picky, and a little lube goes a long ways. Some of mine will run flawlessly with only a little bit of rem oil on the BCG. My AR10 308 requires more and I generally use Lucas gun grease on the bolt of that rifle. I've never had a failure of any kind with my AR15's, even when running them dry. Most of them use NIB coated bcg's though and are smooth running.. A mixture like AS posted would work well. I tried mobil1 on a bolt before, but in the summer time I had to change the oil in my mag...
Oil, specifically Mobil One
I use the high mileage. I figure I have over 75,000 miles on my Northtech Defense bolt. grin
Grease on lugs and external sliding surfaces,
oil on internals.
Mobil One here too. It’s really doesn’t make much difference what you use as long as you maintain it.
Posted By: BamBam Re: Oil or grease on the BCG? - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Mobil One here too. It’s really doesn’t make much difference what you use as long as you maintain it.

0-40 winter 15-40 summer
I use FP10 and run them wet (AR's that is).
Posted By: rost495 Re: Oil or grease on the BCG? - 12/01/20
grease has NO place on a AR other than the recoil spring to quiet it down. AR is a oil gun.

I use whatever is around. Its not any more picky than that. Usually have a quart of some synthetic motor oil on the counter. Call it good.

I've. used it off the dipstick before when I felt the need to clean and lube in the field.

Anything more specific simply isn't needed for 99% of the uses.
I'm no AR expert, but I've never seen anyone goop up any firearm with so much grease. with direct impingement that grease is going everyhere.
The guy says you can't over-lube because grease is cheap - lol.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Oil or grease on the BCG? - 12/01/20
Using the dirtiest Russian steel-cased .223 at shoots over the past 25 years learned - a) even 0W-20 M1syn just about exactly doubles the necessary lube interval vs CLP, b) doesn't seem to matter whether use 0W-20 up through 15W-50 or Rotella 5W-40, c) the only real difference between aforementioned synthetics vs dino 10W-40 is easier to clean after using synthetics (especially Rotella), and d) grease works well, too.

Haven't tried ATF, maybe next shoot.

Ergo, no longer use CLP as lube except for fcg pins. And given the upper half sprays lube everywhere not sure there's any need to lube a lower.

BTW, same applies to our Beretta 391s.
We use CLP on all of the ar's around here.
22 caliber to the AR-10 in 243.

It seems to keep/make the carbon fouling softer and easier to clean later.

I have used oil off of the dipstick before after forgetting to oil one up.
Posted By: lynntelk Re: Oil or grease on the BCG? - 12/01/20
I'm about 6 years into a quart of Mobil 1. I now have to tilt it pretty good to get any on my finger. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Posted By: SeanD Re: Oil or grease on the BCG? - 12/01/20
I’m using grease.

. Use of automotive bearing grease for AR-15?
DoD is about a bazillion gallons into CLP for ARs.

Although most light oils will do, I can’t see any reason not to use CLP.
Posted By: TWR Re: Oil or grease on the BCG? - 12/01/20
I use Machine Gunners lube from Springco, it comes in little bitty bottles that fit in my tubes that hold CR123 batteries. I have a tube in every gun I got I think.
I use LP on my BCG rails and CLP on the rest of the lube points. I have used Lucas Red & Tacky grease in the BCG in hot weather. I use the Red & Tacky on my Garand, M-14, and my bolt actions bolt locking lugs and cocking cams.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Oil or grease on the BCG? - 12/02/20
Two part story about this question, FWIW:

https://www.cherrybalmz.com/history-vietnam-and-the-great-disconnect
It would be interesting to know what and how they lube at Battlefieldvegas.
This video is great, I think it has been posted before on the Fire.

https://youtu.be/PApRcRE-ft8

charlee
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Oil or grease on the BCG? - 12/02/20
These search terms typed into DuckDuckGo...

lubrication henderson defense site:www.ar15.com

got this...

"- I don't think we've got around to running those yet.

- As for HK's, we actually put four factory HK-416's on the line. The HK clone held up WAY longer than anyone expected. I can't remember which piece finally gave but I did get a hold of the original manufacture of those uppers and he does have replacement parts. I just have to remember to order them from him.

- We are still using Lucas oil and Slip 2000 products on all the weapons, to include the M134's now.

V/R
Ron"
Posted By: BigNate Re: Oil or grease on the BCG? - 12/02/20
That was ridiculous. An AR that needs that much lube to function has issues.
I’ve seen CLP cause as many cleaning, lubricating, and rust prevention issues as it has ever cured. I used to jack all the LSA I could get from the Support PLT and Delta gun trucks that I could get, then I told all my grunts we were out of CLP. LOL Good lubricants, good cleaners, and good preservatives come in all sorts of forms....just seems they’re all rarely in the same 60 year old formula... I’ve no idea what all is out there on the cutting edge these days. Going light with good stuff has always seemed to work well. Yeah, good grease, too.
But can you over lube an AR or M9?

^^^^ Looks like their barrel chests dropped to table level! laugh
© 24hourcampfire