Home
Posted By: JamesJr Light Firing Pin Strike - 12/22/20
I put a different scope on my Armalite AR-10 and zeroed it in today. I tried some military surplus ammo first, that I'd been shooting in the rifle, and the first two rounds failed to fire, with the primer showing a light strike. I then switched to some reloads of mine, and 2 out of 20 also failed to fire. I have replaced the factory trigger with a Rise Armanent Rave trigger, single stage 3.5 pound pull. It's been about 9 months since I put the trigger in, and I cannot remember if I fired it after replacing the trigger.

Since the mil-surplus ammo fired before I replaced the trigger, and since a few of the reloads also failed to fire, I'm assuming it's not an ammo problem. Could the problem be with a light or weak spring in the trigger, and has anyone else experienced such problems with the Rise trigger?
Not with that particular trigger, but I did have the same thing happen once with another brand aftermarket single stage trigger that was set around 3lbs. Replaced it and no more issues. Also, are you using a steel firing pin or titanium?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Light Firing Pin Strike - 12/22/20
Pretty sure it's steel.
Just got off the phone with Rise and they are sending me a heavier trigger spring, and if that doesn't work, they will take it back and warranty it. Great people to do business with.

Meant hammer spring.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Light Firing Pin Strike - 12/22/20
Most likely the hammer spring, assuming it's the same BCG & FP you've been using.

A heavier spring will probably increase your trigger pull weight too, though.

I've had several dealings with Rise..............they've been good, even gave me a new high end trigger to try our for free a couple of years ago.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Most likely the hammer spring, assuming it's the same BCG & FP you've been using.

A heavier spring will probably increase your trigger pull weight too, though.

I've had several dealings with Rise..............they've been good, even gave me a new high end trigger to try our for free a couple of years ago.

MM

Probably will increase it, I'll just have to see what happens. But, anything was an improvement over the factory trigger.
Posted By: TWR Re: Light Firing Pin Strike - 12/22/20
Make sure the spring isn’t in backwards.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Light Firing Pin Strike - 12/23/20
Good point, TWR.

Worth checking.

MM
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Light Firing Pin Strike - 12/24/20
If you go with another trigger, check out Hiperfire triggers. Their Hipertouch line are engineered to give a heavier hit on the firing pin.
The lighter you set the triggers with their supplied springs, the heavier the hit on the firing pin.

Dan
© 24hourcampfire