Home
Posted By: MtnBoomer Recommend charging handles? - 12/14/23
Rebuilding a few AR15s that I used basic CHs on... Need recommendations for combat or hunting builds. Don't really want big and pointy. I do like a few I've added medium/large levers on. Input? Considerations? Specifically something hell for stout? Not sure if ambidextrous matters to me now. What say you experienced folks?

Much appreciate the input.
Posted By: Rboom Re: Recommend charging handles? - 12/14/23
I don’t care for the latest “battle axe” ambi styles. Usually just add a Badger Ordnance Gen 2, or PRI combat latch to standard handles. The PRI Gas Busters are stout, but man have they got expensive…
I was just going to recommend a BCM Blem, so that is out

The Vltor BCM Gunfighter comes in 3 latch sizes, pick one and rock on.
Geiselle.

MM
side-charging FTW!
Originally Posted by Darryle
Those caught my eye previously - the Vltor Gunfighter small or medium maybe. I think those - like this one pictured - have recently been renamed or something without BCM... BCMs look ok too. Thanks.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Geiselle.

MM
I'll take a look....
Ohhhhh.
Saw an attractive sale price for the Airborne model and grabbed a couple. Definitely an advanced design. Right on.

The is no such thing as a Vltor BCM Gunfighter charging handle anymore.

BCM has their own different CH and now Vltor is making the original "Gunfighter" CH under their own brand.

I like the Radian Raptor and if you are going to spend a few more bucks upgrading from Mil Spec you might as well get ambi.
Grabbed a PRI two-tone ambi gasbuster too. Well, rolled the dice at Optics Planet - hopefully they actually have one to send me!

Seems to have excellent reviews for suppressed use. Not ridiculously wide or pointy. Sexy and it should be...

Looking for a couple more so keep the comments coming. Thanks folks.

Posted By: JPro Re: Recommend charging handles? - 12/15/23
I've been buying the Breek Warhammer from Joe Bob Outfitters. It's an ambi unit that's pretty comfortable for about $45.
Posted By: TWR Re: Recommend charging handles? - 12/15/23
I had a few of the Small latch BCM/VLTOR’s but soon switched most everything over to the Geissele Airborne’s. They are that much better.
Radian Raptors in everything I own
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

BCM has their own different CH and now Vltor is making the original "Gunfighter" CH under their own brand.

I like the Radian Raptor and if you are going to spend a few more bucks upgrading from Mil Spec you might as well get ambi.
One more thing since there's been some talk of the CMMG 22LR conversion kits here lately. They will spit powder fouling in your face now and then. I first tried a company that makes some insert for the CH but it sucked so I stuck a BCM CH in there not really remembering if it had any "gas buster" features built in but it reduced the fouling pretty well. Just for fun I stuck the Geissele in which does have "gas buster" ability and it completely stopped the fouling.

True, but they are still readily available

https://www.primaryarms.com/bcm-vltor-gunfighter-charging-handle-3b556-bcm-gfh-mod4b-556

Nope.

That is a BCM charging handle of a different design than the orginal "Gunfighter". I have used some and it's a fine charging handle, it's just not the orginal Vltor design.

Vltor owns the orginal design and now produces it under their own brand. The breakup included a long law suit and some lawyers made some money.
I never understood the partnership between BCM and Vltor, they marketed certain things through BCM and some things on their own. Maybe a bigger share of the market or did BCM have a hand designing or funding development?
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Radian Raptors in everything I own

I liked the Raptors too until I started using Geiselle's.

After that I never bought another Raptor.

MM
Geissele airborne on the one I just put together
Posted By: lc11 Re: Recommend charging handles? - 12/16/23
I've had ALL the big name Ambi's, the ones I currently have on my AR's are only the Geissele Airbornes(3) and the BCM Large size(2),I think they call it 3x3? My hands are numb half the time, and arthritic, I can grab the latches on these CH's without any fumbling/problems, EVERYTIME. I run the 2 bigger BCM's on my 7.62x39 AR's.
Got a couple VLTOR Gunfighters too. Mod 4, medium...

Need maybe 1 more...

Appreciate the discussion.

I have been messing with AR rifles for 40+ years, and have never used anything but milspec charging handles. I honestly don't see any need for an upgraded brand name handle. What exactly is the benefit you get from one of those?
Posted By: TWR Re: Recommend charging handles? - 12/16/23
I was right there with you until I found some bargains on the BCM gunfighter handles with small latches. They were the same price as Colts were going for so I decided to try them.

I like the solid feel of the latch and that was about it.

Then I built a pistol and charging it when slung just sucked. So I found an Ambi BCM and charging the gun with either hand was rather easy. I went on and found the Geissele Airborne’s on sale and they really impressed me.

Charging or unloading the rifle is easy with either hand, slung, carried or in the truck. But the added benefit is it decreases gas blown back to your face. It’s gonna take a lot to bend one.

If you’re just gonna go hunt with one, you certainly won’t need one but if your doing malfunction drills or running it hard, you will appreciate a good ambi CH.
BCM 3×3 BLEMs are on sale.

BCM 3×3 BLEMs on sale
Just put a Radian Raptor and Talon in my S&W 15/22. Kind of hard items to find any more but lucked into them recently. Close to a clone of my AR's.

[Linked Image]
Thanks.

Originally Posted by TWR
I was right there with you until I found some bargains on the BCM gunfighter handles with small latches. They were the same price as Colts were going for so I decided to try them.

I like the solid feel of the latch and that was about it.

Then I built a pistol and charging it when slung just sucked. So I found an Ambi BCM and charging the gun with either hand was rather easy. I went on and found the Geissele Airborne’s on sale and they really impressed me.

Charging or unloading the rifle is easy with either hand, slung, carried or in the truck. But the added benefit is it decreases gas blown back to your face. It’s gonna take a lot to bend one.

If you’re just gonna go hunt with one, you certainly won’t need one but if your doing malfunction drills or running it hard, you will appreciate a good ambi CH.

Appreciate it.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
BCM 3×3 BLEMs are ob sale.

BCM 3×3 BLEMs on sale

Grabbed another PRI M84 Gas Buster, the Big Flat Latch version. For their purported excellence at gas handling... We'll see. Done for now.

Appreciate everyone's inputs!

looks like my once in awhile shooting and not running drills or combat training really don't make me a candidate for a different than milspec handle.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Rebuilding a few AR15s that I used basic CHs on... Need recommendations for combat or hunting builds. Don't really want big and pointy. I do like a few I've added medium/large levers on. Input? Considerations? Specifically something hell for stout? Not sure if ambidextrous matters to me now. What say you experienced folks?

Much appreciate the input.
Have never had an issue over many years, say since the early 80s, running ARs. Standard charging handle. Don't own any others.
They all work but I like BCM's, Geisseles and Radians.

I shoot a lot of action matches with AR's, and as a matter of fact, I shot a night match last night. The biggest problem was seeing the far targets in the fog which reflected back the light from my weapon mounted light.

No problems with my charging handle.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have been messing with AR rifles for 40+ years, and have never used anything but milspec charging handles. I honestly don't see any need for an upgraded brand name handle. What exactly is the benefit you get from one of those?

Originally Posted by JPro
I've been buying the Breek Warhammer from Joe Bob Outfitters. It's an ambi unit that's pretty comfortable for about $45.

I just got one of these for a new AR dedicated with a thermal optic because the oem milspec was hard to get a good hand hold on it because of the scope, and I also wanted the ambi option.

The new Warhammer with the larger handles works great now, and I really like being able to rack it with either hand.
Originally Posted by bowmanh
These ^^^ are the top contenders.
Prices are up, though.
I bought an LMT charging handle a few years ago for $36.
Now they are $80.

On the other hand, a lot of communists were killed with rifles rocking a standard, $12 charging handle.
Raptor for me. They are an excellent charging handle for the price.
looks like my once in awhile shooting and not running drills or combat training really don't make me a candidate for a different than milspec handle.

With a scope mounted on a flat top receiver the larger & ambi charging handles make it easier the grab.

MM
Originally Posted by bowmanh

I shoot a lot of action matches with AR's, and as a matter of fact, I shot a night match last night. The biggest problem was seeing the far targets in the fog which reflected back the light from my weapon mounted light.

No problems with my charging handle.

I like BCM's. Last time I was in the now best LGS around here, some of the vets who work there that are heavily into AR's like Radians.

I don't see where somebody could go wrong if they picked any of the 3 you mentioned.

With a scope mounted on a flat top receiver the larger & ambi charging handles make it easier the grab.

MM
Thats actually probably totally correct. Yet I have more scoped flat top uppers these days than we had A2 competition uppers years ago and that says something.. I've yet to search for different charging handles and we even run bulky thermals and night vision on a few.

Beyond that I think once you pass the normal one, the handle you are looking for has to make you happy. I'd got a a dealer or gun show and feel em out if the standard one fails you.
Posted By: TWR Re: Recommend charging handles? - 12/25/23
It’s not so much that the standard CH is gonna fail you as it is just nice to be able to charge or clear the gun with either hand and have something substantial to hang on to.
Originally Posted by TWR
It’s not so much that the standard CH is gonna fail you as it is just nice to be able to charge or clear the gun with either hand and have something substantial to hang on to.
Gotcha. I suppose that shooting service rifle in competition so many years we are just used to standard and could clear if needed via left hand so its kind of muscle memory. makes sense. But the big gaudy things I"ve seen would be a pita imho.
Posted By: TWR Re: Recommend charging handles? - 12/26/23
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by TWR
Gotcha. I suppose that shooting service rifle in competition so many years we are just used to standard and could clear if needed via left hand so its kind of muscle memory. makes sense. But the big gaudy things I"ve seen would be a pita imho.
I was the same way, didn’t see the need until I built the pistol and all of a sudden it was readily apparent that being able to charge the gun with my right hand while slung was the easy button. Now I wonder how I got by without it.
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR
I was the same way, didn’t see the need until I built the pistol and all of a sudden it was readily apparent that being able to charge the gun with my right hand while slung was the easy button. Now I wonder how I got by without it.

Most of the discussed upgraded CHs have some gas mitigation, as you know.

For those running suppressors this can be an advantage, especially a can with high backpressure.
Posted By: TWR Re: Recommend charging handles? - 12/26/23
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR

For those running suppressors this can be an advantage, especially a can with high backpressure.
Yes they do and while my can doesn’t have much back pressure, the CMMG 22 conversion kit will sting your face with gas and debris, especially shooting left handed.

Heavier duty, easier to grab, keeps crap out of your face and has no downside at all. I’m speaking of my favorite, the Geissele Airborne. I would not want one of those big extended latches at all but that’s just my opinion.
Originally Posted by TWR
Heavier duty, easier to grab, keeps crap out of your face and has no downside at all. I’m speaking of my favorite, the Geissele Airborne. I would not want one of those big extended latches at all but that’s just my opinion.

And there is the nut if it all.

Anyone clinging to standard mil-spec CH's just hasn't used anything better, so they really have no 1st hand knowledge of the benefits of a (reasonably) larger ambi unit with improved gas handling.

MM
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR

While standard ch are super easy to mitigate gas. Been done for probably 45 years or so
I don’t like the geissele handle shapes

Gen 1 Vltor made bcm ones medium latch are my favorite left side charging handles.

Radian is fine, and they definitely aren’t junk, but don’t love the shape/design of latch.

For gas busting the KAC ambi isn’t the best, and they aren’t cheap, nor are they the most rebust by designbut they feel perfect. That’s not even fanboyism.. I genuinely like them the best.
Posted By: goalie Re: Recommend charging handles? - 12/27/23
PRI Gasbusters for me. Shooting without a can is uncivilized.
Posted By: TWR Re: Recommend charging handles? - 12/27/23
Originally Posted by goalie
PRI Gasbusters for me. Shooting without a can is uncivilized.
I've spent almost as much money on muzzle devices as I did on my can.
I just can't stand to shoot without it now.
Originally Posted by TWR

it just makes it easy that way. Especially if you have big mitts. Even better still, if you shoot ambi.
I bet big hands could have trouble. Interesting I charge left handed quite often while holding the gun with the right. Never had an issue. Do it at night. with a thermal on top in the dark and it still works. I do charge with the right hand on occasion but tend to find that charging with the left hand seems easier for my situations.
I have good sized hands. I wear 2x gloves because it’s the biggest size usually available but they’re still a 1/2 size too small. The AR charging design is a weak point IMO but I’ve never had a problem with standard AR charging handles.
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
I

For gas busting the KAC ambi isn’t the best, and they aren’t cheap, nor are they the most rebust by designbut they feel perfect. That’s not even fanboyism.. I genuinely like them the best.

Yes, they do feel & work fine for me too; I have 3 & much as I like Geiselle's, I've not changed the stock CH's on my KAC's..................just have not seen the need.

In fact, I've only changed the trigger on an LPR, all else is stock on all 3...............KAC pretty much gets it all right, including their sights.

MM
I

Yes, they do feel & work fine for me too; I have 3 & much as I like Geiselle's, I've not changed the stock CH's on my KAC's..................just have not seen the need.

In fact, I've only changed the trigger on an LPR, all else is stock on all 3...............KAC pretty much gets it all right, including their sights.

MM

You wouldn’t have that kac 2 stage would ya?

Im slowing building an LPR clone with as many kac bits as I can.. debating hard and long about either cannibalizing one of the less accurate mod 2’s barrel extension for a mod bb bartlein, or just run an lmt enhanced bolt on a “custom” barrel.

Thinking the stainless barrel life doesn’t really warrant an e3 bolt. Whatcha think?

Big thread drift but debating 14.5 urx4 keymod or 13” urx 3.1?? Mocked up a mlok urx4 but it’s too modern looking.
You wouldn’t have that kac 2 stage would ya? I used it in another gun.

Im slowing building an LPR clone with as many kac bits as I can.. debating hard and long about either cannibalizing one of the less accurate mod 2’s barrel extension for a mod bb bartlein, or just run an lmt enhanced bolt on a “custom” barrel.

Thinking the stainless barrel life doesn’t really warrant an e3 bolt. Whatcha think? The E3 bolt has a different than normal lug shape that requires a matching extension, so if you really wanted to go that route you'd need a barrel & extension or at least an extension from Knight. If you want a more reliable than mil-spec bolt, look at HMB Defense's bolt; it has a blind cam pin hold (with their cam pin) so the strength if the bolt is significantly improved. I got a couple from Young a few years ago, but HMB is now selling them with or w/o a carrier. Or a JP bolt...........like them a lot too.

HMB Defense

Big thread drift but debating 14.5 urx4 keymod or 13” urx 3.1?? Mocked up a mlok urx4 but it’s too modern looking.

I like the 3.1 on a longer gun; don't have a KAC shorter than 16" but I'd do the keymod.

MM
Yup yup. Savvy to the e3 bolt. Got one next to the bed currently. Sorry for the thread drift boys.

Another real solid reason to run ambi is if you get a double feed you can fairly easily left thumb hold down bolt release and right hand rips charging handle to lock back bolt. Duh, but reaching under mag with right hand to hit the bolt release is awkward under time constraints.

That’s where ambi bolt catch like LMT or griffin really shine. Griffin/ADM are probably the best for that.

Another great reason to run a Vltor upper with the lowered forward assist to have more space around right side latch and not to run offset behind the ejection port.
Good stuff. Keep bringing it, we'll keep reading it!

Thanks men - for the discussion.
© 24hourcampfire