Home
Posted By: william clunie lightweight .308 AR - 05/09/08
Looking for a very reliable .308 in an AR platform that comes in under 8 pounds.

Thanks for your help,
Posted By: Rogue Re: lightweight .308 AR - 05/09/08
Best of luck to you. You may have to build your own, the AR10 platform is heavy. A reliable AR10 under 8 pounds at a fair price would sell like crazy.
Posted By: woofer Re: lightweight .308 AR - 05/09/08
you bet!!! could go to a grendel on the 15. or even the wssm uppers to get bigger boolits smile other than that a carbon stock/tube and a skinny profile may get you there... good luck. would like pics if you build....

woofer
Posted By: jimmyp Re: lightweight .308 AR - 05/09/08
visit the Noveske web site I know that they make some 308 rifles I don't know what they weight.
Posted By: Rogue Re: lightweight .308 AR - 05/11/08
Noveske is a great guy that builds an excellent product. He lives only 1/2 hour away. First time I met him we where standing there BSing for a 30 minutes before we introduced ourselves and I figured out who he was. Definately not a primodonna, and arguably the best in his specialty.
Posted By: william clunie Re: lightweight .308 AR - 05/12/08
Thanks for all of your responses. Anyone with any experience with DPMS?
Posted By: arkypete Re: lightweight .308 AR - 05/12/08
Originally Posted by william clunie
Looking for a very reliable .308 in an AR platform that comes in under 8 pounds.

Thanks for your help,

William

I've got the Armalite AR10A4 with an EOtech site. Didn't know that it weighed in at 9.5 pounds. Seemed real light compared to the AR10t.
Not sure where the weight could be removed from.

Jim
Posted By: Foxbat Re: lightweight .308 AR - 05/12/08
DPMS has a lightweight AR-10. LR-308L 8 lbs.
Posted By: tacgnut Re: lightweight .308 AR - 05/14/08
I'm not that familiar with the ASA brand but I've seen a few that were put together and they looked as though they would be close to your 8lb. weight limit. One nice feature about them is that they are side chargers. Not sure if they interchangeable between other large frame receivers though.
Posted By: WinModel70 Re: lightweight .308 AR - 05/14/08
I have DPMS LR-AP4 308. It could be lighter if I put a different heat shield on it. I have it topped off with a Zeiss Conquest 1.5-5.5 scope with Armalite mounts. I haven't weight it but I would say it comes in at 10 pounds with all of the hardware attached. It's my go to hog hunting outfit.
Last fall I was at Reed Knights facility (Knights Armament)in Florida attending a weeklong M110/SR25 series operator/armorer's course.

The instructor was a former Army Colonel (nice guy)who showed us a carbine version of their outstanding SR25 series sniper rifles. It was a 16" lightweight, flattop rifle. I recall thinking it was a better all around practical rifle for what we do in Iraq than the currently issued 20" SR25.

I do not know if they are available to the public, but I doubt you would find a better built, lightweight .308. I was very much impressed and if I could have bought it on the spot I would have.

I do not know what your budget is but you may want to look into the SR25 series if you can afford to do so.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: lightweight .308 AR - 05/18/08
I test-fired a DPMS LR-AP4 at a conference in March. Very nice rifle, light, very accurate. Scoped with a bipod it came in right at 10 lb.
Posted By: william clunie Re: lightweight .308 AR - 05/19/08
Just read a recent post here about the Remington R-25 (AR .308). Guess how much it weighs in at . . . 7.99lbs. Looks like I'll have to give it a whirl.
Posted By: BMT Re: lightweight .308 AR - 05/19/08
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Last fall I was at Reed Knights facility (Knights Armament)in Florida attending a weeklong M110/SR25 series operator/armorer's course.

The instructor was a former Army Colonel (nice guy)who showed us a carbine version of their outstanding SR25 series sniper rifles. It was a 16" lightweight, flattop rifle. I recall thinking it was a better all around practical rifle for what we do in Iraq than the currently issued 20" SR25.

I do not know if they are available to the public, but I doubt you would find a better built, lightweight .308. I was very much impressed and if I could have bought it on the spot I would have.

I do not know what your budget is but you may want to look into the SR25 series if you can afford to do so.

Similar to one of these:

[Linked Image]

Note that the rear sight is detachable.

BMT

BMT
© 24hourcampfire